• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 27-29] Combo Breaker 2016 (Chicago, IL)

According to the rules page on the website, only Finals will be 3/5, but I have no idea if @thehadou has any plans to amend that.

I would love if he did.

Yeah. SG has been starting to lean towards 3/5 for more matches. Shouldn't we just, like... make it an official community tournament rule? Sorta like "tournament standard is PS4"? I think "3/5 after pools/for top 16" is a good rule.

Last edited:
SG runs relatively quickly and CB buckets things into 2 hour blocks which should be plenty enough time to finish a 16-player pool; I'm not sure if it's something Rick would be comfortable with but it might be better to run everything 3/5 rather than deal with any potential confusion from changing format halfway through.

SG runs relatively quickly and CB buckets things into 2 hour blocks which should be plenty enough time to finish a 16-player pool; I'm not sure if it's something Rick would be comfortable with but it might be better to run everything 3/5 rather than deal with any potential confusion from changing format halfway through.
The only issue is that at low levels of play sometimes 3/5 sets can take a very long time. But otherwise I agree with you.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
For reference pools at CEOtaku were in 2 hour blocks 16 man pools and they took an hour. 2 set ups per pool. If we got more set ups, then 3/5 the whole way is completely possible for SG, and even with only 2 set ups per pool its very possible. An extra hour is a lot of time.

This discussion should probably gets own thread, for future tournaments.

Would that work, or not necessary?

This discussion should probably gets own thread, for future tournaments.

Would that work, or not necessary?
It's especially relevant for CB, so I honestly think it's fine that we discuss it here.

That works. I'd like to know if the standard moving forward is 3/5 so we can change accordingly in our locals.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
That works. I'd like to know if the standard moving forward is 3/5 so we can change accordingly in our locals.
Same

@Kai

I guess this is why I thought it would make sense as its own discussion, because it applies to way more than just combo breaker.

Either way I guess we can decide here and then everyone should know for next time.

I'm not opposed to 3/5 the whole way through. This game is crazy.
3/5 after pools also sounds good also.

I'm not okay with FT5 for Top3.
I'd still put GF's as a FT3

Hey everyone,

I'll consider 3/5 for varying parts of the tournament and get back to you. There are a lot of reasons for a lot of options.

In the mean time lets push the conversation to a new thread and get back to talking about deep dish pizza?

What would be very helpful is in the majors and regionals leading up to CB if people can try to keep an eye on what format is used and how long it takes. CB is supposed to be a flagship of tournaments running on time as part of the UFGT legacy, that's definitely part of the reputation that us locals want to maintain, lol.

What would be very helpful is in the majors and regionals leading up to CB if people can try to keep an eye on what format is used and how long it takes. CB is supposed to be a flagship of tournaments running on time as part of the UFGT legacy, that's definitely part of the reputation that us locals want to maintain, lol.
I think there's only one big Skullgirls tournament between now and Combo Breaker, which is Northwest Majors. Dunno if they'd be willing to try 3/5 there.

At NWM last year we had to slow the heck down to put more matches on stream because we were going to fast.
That was 2/3.

We could probably talk about getting 3/5 for NWM to see how it runs.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Well from experience, when we used to run 3/5 at maxout the only time it took more than an hour to run 11 entrants on 2 or less setups is if we were waiting on stream time. For the record we weren't very good back then.

nXPruDN.gif

I will throw my gloves and you will catch the hands. I will put my shoes on your face and you will taste defeat.

Reactions: BGCallisto
Please make a "what should we run for sets during tourney" thread.

I'm a strictly Pepperoni kinda guy for Pizza. Cheese is fine. Will also tolerate half Pepperoni and half Cheese. Also am willing to consider varying amounts of Pepperoni. A little is fine. A decent amount is fine. A lot is probably a little too much.

Not comfortable with running all 3/5 unless we have a lot of setups.

(saying this about 3/5 in general, not cb)

EDIT: Also goddamn KC stay owned by fuzzy's soul
My rebuttal will have to wait till April 9th.

I will throw my gloves and you will catch the hands. I will put my shoes on your face and you will taste defeat.

But will you tie your shoes?