• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Modding Tool: SkullMod

Wanted to put Val saying "Za Warudo" when she hit Prescription.

They can, but they're in a dumb file type.
FFFF.
Also I want to actually open the .ART files, I wanna look at character's, what programs have this capability?

No idea, I just now tried opening one of them in paint.net and it didn't work.

@Cellsai might know something though.
O GREAT @Cellsai, I SUMMON THEE.
I WISH TO GAZE UPON THE HARD WORK OF LAB 0 AND IT'S CONTRACTORS IN GLORIOUS HIGH RES.

O GREAT @Cellsai, I SUMMON THEE.
I WISH TO GAZE UPON THE HARD WORK OF LAB 0 AND IT'S CONTRACTORS IN GLORIOUS HIGH RES.
You can't open them. The sprites are contained in complicatedly encrypted files and the Skullmod creator is deliberately not going down the route of decrypting them - and even if he does figure it out he will never release that tool.
Read through the earlier parts of this thread for details.

The Digital Art Compendium is what you want if you want tto look at sprites.

Are the character VO files encrypted this way too?

You can't open them. The sprites are contained in complicatedly encrypted files and the Skullmod creator is deliberately not going down the route of decrypting them - and even if he does figure it out he will never release that tool.
Read through the earlier parts of this thread for details.

The Digital Art Compendium is what you want if you want tto look at sprites.

I'm not talking about the animated sprites, I'm talking about junk like the UI art and stuff.
hopefully the non-encrypted art, if not well I'll just wait until the compendium updates again.
(Hopefully after Robo Fortune is done because I'm not down with downloading 8gb every so often.)

Answer stuff
Can this extract character assets or just background stuff?
... I see frame extraction and some character sprites...
The (animated) sprites can be extracted they contain effects like dust, lighting etc.
but no character stuff

Can this extract character assets or just background stuff?
Various other things i'd like to know if this can extract:
- 3d background stuff (models/textures -soon(TM)
- full res stage backgrounds (I see some screenshots on google that are ~3000 pixels wide -can be done manually, they are simple dds files
- Main menu effects assets / text / stuff ( the film rolls, the lights on the bottom, and if the fonts for menu items can be extracted or if custom texts can be made -most of it are dds files anyway, gonna do a video on that
- Art gallery stuff -see answer above

Shit like nude mods is impossible since the sprites are scrambled
Possible to edit, yes, feasible no, pointless, more so
After repacking the gfs, the game would reject (not load) it, since it was changed (look up the word 'file hash' for details that are unimportant )
and then the game crashes because of missing assets

Gonna make some easy to read guide on which files are allowed to be edited

Is there any way to bypass this integrity check issue? I've been swapping out art files fine, but then I've sarted editing some text strings in the UI Lua files (namely the attract mode text), but after I repack it all the text has vanished and finally the game will crash when it hits the main menu.
Not an issue, just a smart move on their end.
And see answer above
Was talking with owellgi in the chat. He realized that the color channels have actually been jiggled around a bit is all.

You are correct

New stuff
I rewrote SkullMod to be really easy to use,
it's now a python command line utility :PUN:

Gonna make some more tutorials on how to mod things with it. ETA this week

Currently working to export an entire level into Blender via Collada

This is an example on what I got to export for now:
Bathhouse

bathhouse.JPG

Last edited:
One more screenshot
atrium.JPG

Export to Blender pretty much done
Only thing missing is the correct placement of the elements and
a few Blender settings to make textures transparent and less blurry

But. I'm on a vacation starting soon, so it will take a week or so more. See ya.

Edit: The code is already on the Github Repo, but no packed version is available

Last edited:
I'm Finnaly thankful that I can get some of the Squigly Story art for Skulldate... Thanks man...

tried to change the background music, followed all steps but when i play the stage all i hear is loud distorted music...rip ears. Where did i go wrong?

Did you convert the music?

Did you convert the music?

the first one i tried was already a wav file because i manually did the intro. Then when that didnt work i took a random mp3 and i did convert.bat it gave me the compressed file, did everything else correctly and now it's still just loud distorted static.

EDIT: Got it working nvm

Last edited:
Mike hacking his own game.

Necessity is the mother of invention. We never wrote an unpacker because we never needed it. :^P

Necessity is the mother of invention. We never wrote an unpacker because we never needed it. :^P
I guess It would be usefull for doing a corruptions In theory... I don't really know...

Its cool to see developers supporting modding even if its not officially supported. The stance on modding as of late from many developers that used to fully embrace it AND HIRED PEOPLE FROM MOD TEAMS(although PC FPS games aren't exactly fighting games) is pretty disgusting. I'm looking at you DICE.

After ripping out the sound files using HyperRipper in Dragon UnPACKer I tried to merge a couple into a single file, but all I get is a garbled mess. I haven't really tried many solutions to this yet aside from installing a bunch of programs which all failed, but does anyone know off hand how to fix that? I'm kind of clueless when it comes to audio.

After ripping out the sound files using HyperRipper in Dragon UnPACKer I tried to merge a couple into a single file, but all I get is a garbled mess. I haven't really tried many solutions to this yet aside from installing a bunch of programs which all failed, but does anyone know off hand how to fix that? I'm kind of clueless when it comes to audio.
Okay I couldn't get into the files but if you do manage to like, get the files together, post them.

I wonder if it is possible to unpack the files of Skullgirls and be able to run it... and then using a Vinesauce corruptor, corrupt it... Acutlly that would be amazing to see...

Mostly because I wanted to see a contorted Big Band

I got this sorted in the end. Pretty simple procedure: Got Audacity and added the Append Import plugin.

So I used this Mod tool for corruptions...

It couldn't have been any better
5787-3746ded86414d1f6a7ca102a5a0975e0.jpg

We have Skullgirls Corruptions now....

Attachments

• The Happening.jpg
    The Happening.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 856
I don't know how, but Calexe has been doing weird things...
Not with Skullmod, tho. I don't know how he does it.

I don't know how, but Calexe has been doing weird things...
Not with Skullmod, tho. I don't know how he does it.
Also Marie's elblum is a broken heart...

I tried modding the music by following the steps in the video, but when I start the game, I still hear the original music instead of the custom. Is there something that I did wrong?

This may or may not be of use to anyone but if anyone is interested in messing with sg's UI here's an explanation of what almost every bar does in skullgirls. You'll find em just like this in the picture but surrounded by a bunch of other stuff that I cut out for clarity. If you do want to mess with UI though, I'd warn that there is a possibility you could break your game so careful I guess

gy1u2tV.png

anything that isn't labeled isn't labeled because idk what it does.

Reactions: Cellsai
what is the track for gehenna called?
I accidentally replaced my edited music after the update without saving it.

files won't show when i try to unpack the music files. Any reason why?

not really sure what you're doing but unpacking music-win.gfs should create a music-win folder in the data folder. Inside there should be everything in .wavs

yeah i dragged the gfs file to unpack but every time i click unpack, nothing happens. This list of files usually show up before you hit unpack but that didnt show up either.

http://gyazo.com/4cb329028627a44ac2fc4d06f8e55ff6

Is there any chance of Skullmod getting support for unpacking/packing replay input data files (.rnd)?

If inputs are easy to navigate through and edit, it would be a useful tool for TASing.