• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mr Peck's Comical Character Crisis

If anyone else reads this thread and needs to know the Painwheel>Peacock L George tag combo, here's how to do it on the whole cast. I could probably split it into fewer variations if I did the L nail combo on more of the cast, but the combos that don't use it are way easier so I'd rather remember 3 easy combos than try to do the hard combo on more characters.

c.LK>c.MK>s.HP>L nail>fly df+j.LP, and then:

(HEAVIES: Cerebella, Eliza, Beowulf, Double, Big Band)
s.MP+L george, (no delay) j.MK fly f+j.LP>j.MK, c.LP>charged c.HP>tag
- Tag whiffs on Cerebella because her crumple stance is thin, so just take the hard knockdown

(THIN LIGHTS: Squigly, Painwheel)
s.MP+L george, DELAY j.MK fly f+j.LP>j.MK, c.LP>c.MK>charged c.HP>tag

(OTHER LIGHTS: Filia, Fukua, Peacock)
s.MP+L george, DELAY j.MK fly f+j.LP>j.MK, c.MK>charged c.HP>tag

(WIDE STANCE CHARS: Ms Fortune, Robo Fortune, Valentine, Parasoul. i.e. the characters who stand with their feet 10 meters apart)
s.HP>L nail, walk forward, max range s.MP+L george, then do the HEAVIES combo for Parasoul/Robo and the OTHER LIGHTS combo for Ms Fortune and Valentine
- Tag whiffs on Valentine because her crumple stance is thin, so just take the hard knockdown

...and then as Peacock, after the tag hits: OTG c.LK>c.MP>delayed c.MK>c.HP>M bang>argus

Last edited:
Reactions: gllt and mcpeanuts
Yo it works that's godlike!

You should record a couple, I think Domo plays Painwheel L George too but Band instead of Robot.

Reactions: Mr Peck and gllt
Yo it works that's godlike!

You should record a couple, I think Domo plays Painwheel L George too but Band instead of Robot.
done!

Note that if you play all three of my characters, you can also do the exact same combo into Robo tag for a Painwheel->Robo tag combo.

Last edited:
I figured I'd record the Peacock->Robo tag combo too, in case anyone else plays both of those characters. It's much easier than the Painwheel one.

If anyone needs a Robo->Painwheel tag combo, just do Robo s.HP and cancel into tag. That's it. The Peacock->Painwheel tag combo is s.HK>level 1 item drop>instantly tag, or s.HP(first hit)>tag vs everyone except Painwheel.

The only thing left is Robo->Peacock, so I'll work on that when I have the time.

Last edited:
The only thing left is Robo->Peacock, so I'll work on that when I have the time.
Good luck with this one... I actually spent a lot of time on it myself and was never able to find anything that worked. If you find something, I'd be very interested to know.

Reactions: Mr Peck
Good luck with this one... I actually spent a lot of time on it myself and was never able to find anything that worked. If you find something, I'd be very interested to know.
Midscreen Robo s.HK>magnet (not held) gives you enough time to safely tag to Peacock but it costs a meter, and Robo s.HP into Peacock s.HP assist gives you enough time to call level 1 hidden missiles and continue the combo which probably lets you tag after the missiles hit, but I don't have any leads at all for a meterless tag combo using Peacock L or M George assist. I'll keep trying!

Midscreen Robo s.HK>magnet (not held) gives you enough time to safely tag to Peacock but it costs a meter, and Robo s.HP into Peacock s.HP assist gives you enough time to call level 1 hidden missiles and continue the combo which probably lets you tag after the missiles hit, but I don't have any leads at all for a meterless tag combo using Peacock L or M George assist. I'll keep trying!
Doesn't tagging to Peacock after Magnet leave you negative after they ground tech toward you? I tried that but it didn't seem like it left Peacock in a good position.

Doesn't tagging to Peacock after Magnet leave you negative after they ground tech toward you? I tried that but it didn't seem like it left Peacock in a good position.
Nope, it's hella plus. Just gotta do it midscreen right after s.HK and not hold the magnet. It doesn't let her immediately start her zoning and it doesn't leave her fullscreen, but it's still safe.

Reactions: mcpeanuts

i think it was like that in retail but remember beta magnet is untechable

edit: o wait i just saw peck's video that's different than what i was thinking lol

You tried using missiles mid combo? I'd figure that would be the easiest way to do it.

Just an idea.

EDIT: Oh not sure how feasible it is with L/M george, I'll look into it.

Last edited:
It's that he can't do it mid combo with any of the georges. It's possible using assists that keep the opponent in hitstun long enough to do missiles then tag in Peacock for no meter, but l george is not one of them.

Combo Breaker is over! I finished joint 13th-16th, same as last year. There's a lot I have to work on but I'm happy with how I've been improving over the past few months by playing a load of sets, watching the replays, and grinding out my biggest problems to make sure I never lose the same way twice. Thanks so much to Cloud and Cadenza for playing online vs me!

I haven't had time to watch my CB match videos yet, or other sets such as Swiftfox vs Cloud, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from those. But there were a bunch of weaknesses in my gameplay that became apparent from all the casuals I played over the weekend so here are some notes I took while I was waiting for my flight home. There's a lot to work on!

Disclaimer: bear in mind that I'm talking about trying to play consistently in tournaments. So any question along the lines of "wait, you really can't (anti-air/reversal/do this combo)?" can be answered with "I can do it, but not consistently enough under tournament pressure".
Execution is a big problem right now. I need to watch my match vids to see what I dropped and why.

I suck at round start in some matchups. Parasoul, fortune+beam assist etc. Current situation of having to hard read if Liam will do shot+assist or jLP+assist at round start is frankly not good enough, so find better options.
Ideas: maybe boxcar immediately so it acts as a combo breaker. Lab it out, along with anything else that might work.

Neutral game: I can struggle vs super aggressive players who never stop going in, even after getting hit multiple times (e.g. Mike Z and some head-on Fortune players). I need to have a solid gameplan vs these kinds of players.

Robo problems: Stay calm on defense; be patient while blocking, like I (sometimes) am with Peacock. Learn to use heads better. L missile is a combo breaker, mine lets you get more heads. Work on general footsies and mixing air normals into my zoning instead of just beams and the occasional jHP. Practice air to air jLK conversion from normal jump and superjump: probably jLK jMP jHK. Neat reversal idea vs multi hit moves: try sHP, armor 1 hit then tag to Peacock. Figure out a tag combo too, e.g. get under them with j.df+HK then land and tag as they hit your george assist (thanks Liam).

Robo combos: learn how to do throw or h danger, pull in with magnet, full combo. How the hell do I not already know this. Learn optimal combo from beam>lv3>beam>magnet>explode and REMEMBER IT USES OTG. Get consistent at that starter too; don't drop the second beam.

Anti-airs. I can't consistently AA most good jump ins. I should know exactly which moves I can and cannot beat with Pea cLK, Robo cLP, L danger etc. Learn magnet hitbox too, and how it interacts with counter supers and post-flash teacup.

Pushblock timing. PB lights is a guess, PB mediums is on reaction. I get blown up for trying to PB way too many lights.

Reversals. Yes M bang sucks as a reversal, but you need to use it occasionally. Can't rely on never using reversals or you will get blown up, so LEARN THE TIMING and get consistent at reversaling out of pressure vs opponents who don't respect it.

Peacock mixups are important. Getting a clean hit gives you waaaaay more reward than a few seconds of successful chip. I currently throw away free mixup opportunities in some situations, e.g. always going for max range cMK when running up to a crouching opponent with lv2 M item held, or after running under an opponent and forcing them onto the ground with M item. Maybe I should run in for a high/low/throw/crossup mixup.

My current lv3 item resets won't get me as many free hits on good players in the future once they learn them. Work on better blockstrings or followup mixups after they get blocked, instead of leaving myself in a bad situation. Also I should learn the airdash under into jHP whiff variation.

Have a backup peacock combo for when I'm dropping dashjumps under pressure. Also figure out why I was dropping dashjumps under pressure.

Grind out more matchup-specific zoning patterns. Try to get OPTIMAL with projectile uptime. Improvisation is good but pushing her zoning to the limit can't hurt.

Learn Robo lv3 explosion timing without audio. This is important for tournaments.

Lowest priority: Learn to be consistent with the Robo instant double jump overhead.

Last edited:
Starts at 4:29:55 if anyone wants a timestamp. I'll watch it after I finish working!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147554567?t=4h29m55s

edit: I watched it! The main things that stood out to me were:
- He's throwing out preemptive jHP way more than me, and it seemed to pay off.
- The options after throwing out jHP like that are: adc jHP (for extra damage on hit), adc jHK, airdash back jHK. He never goes for adc jHP, and he does airdash back jHK way more than adc jHK. That seems to work out way better than how I currently play the matchup, which uses a more even split of followup options after jHP, so I'm going to start making airdash back jHK my default option in that scenario.
- He uses jump forward jHK into airdash back when he's far enough away from the opponent that he wants to put an avery slightly in front of himself. I never use this so I'll give it a try. It's sorta like how I use IAD jHK but from a slightly longer distance, and I love IAD jHK so I can't wait to add this to my gameplan.
- At times when I would have used jump back, airdash back, jHK, he does jump back jHK into airdash back. I get hit out of my version more often than I'd like to admit, so I'll see if his variation stuffs any early approaches from Val/Filia etc.
- At 4:38:55 he was charging H item and did plane into back teleport, the plane hit, and he comboed into level 2 H item into H bang. I'm stealing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: skull person