• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ~ ☆

Who is your Favorite Pony?

• (Princess) Twilight Sparkle ~ トワイライトスパークル

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Applejack ~ アップルジャック

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Pinkie Pie ~ ピンキーパイ

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Rarity ~ ラリティ

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Rainbow Dash ~ レインボーダッシュ

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Fluttershy ~ フラッターシャイ

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
Here's some trivia I believe is worth sharing.
Tirek and his brother Scorpen from the season 4 finale are reboots of the very first villains ponies ever faced in an animated episode. Their first (and not counting yesterday's, last) appearance was in the pilot for the G1 animated series 30 years ago. Talk about a reference.

Not sure how common knowledge this can be. I myself recognized it because a friend linked me Rescue at Midnight Castle some weeks ago and when I was watching the finale a "I know these guys" realization suddenly kicked in. Granted the G1 episode is hella awkward, but it's interesting for historical purposes.

Makes me wonder if there's a chance for the Smooze from 1986 to appear in season 5. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Mitju
i dont like the finale it almost looked like other show.

I have a question:

What is the deal with adult guys loving My Little Pony? I am not trying to be a dick here I am just curious, I thought it was like a gag or inside joke amongst guys or something, but I've spoken to a few dudes and they really, really like the show, claiming that they are "bronies"and other stuff I did not understand. I just don't really get it or understand how guys can enjoy a show like this. Again, not trying to be a dick would just like to know why you guys are so serious with MLP:FIM

First of: I’m not describing myself as a "Brony". Never did, never will. Because I think most of these people are the ones that follow every new thing and hype it up without really appreciating it. They’re buying the merchandise, being totally proud about themselves and after some time they hop on to the next popular bandwagon. Every fandom has their black sheep’s, but of course, most of the people are really cool and tolerant.

Why do I, as a 21 year old man like a show about ponies? Well, I always loved cartoons. I watched them as kid, I watch them now. And I know when I see a dumb and cheesy show, or an intelligent and well written one. My Little Pony is definitely the later.

I like the animation, the colors, the fantasy setting, the voice actors, everything. It’s such a fun and colorful world with a lot of humor. The characters are well written and developed; the stories are interesting and unique. It’s the first show that I watched in my entire life where I can truly say: That really is a show for the whole family. It was intended as such and succeeded. And because a family often has a grown man or big brother around, they are also a target audience. They get jokes and easter eggs that little kids can’t possibly understand.

Hell, I laughed so much at that show, because it’s just good old humor. It’s not that stupid sitcom humor that punches you in the face until you laugh out of despair, it’s really funny.

Yes, some episodes are plain, boring and a huge cliché. They feature themes that aren’t really intended for grown up man. Examples being: Modeling, wedding, babysitting.

But even these I enjoyed, because the show never abandons its style that I really enjoy.

I could write a lot more but I guess you get the idea. I’m a person with a lot of fantasy; I enjoy video games, comic books & cartoons. I’m not what a "grown up" should be, at least by society’s unforgiving standpoints. I never abandoned my inner child, I nurtured it.

I'm not guy or an adult, but I can answer this question...
99% of today's cartoons are pretty shitty - it has terrible graphics, stupid stories and characters are...... Oh god...
This show is different.
It has beautiful graphics, likeable characters, good stories and songs are listenable.
Watching the show just makes me happy.

Watchnig finale for a moment I thought that I accidentaly switched to Dragon Ball Z during the fight scene. Which is awesome.

an important factor of FiM is the factor of
JOHN DELANCEY!

What is the deal with adult guys loving My Little Pony? I am not trying to be a dick here I am just curious, I thought it was like a gag or inside joke amongst guys or something, but I've spoken to a few dudes and they really, really like the show, claiming that they are "bronies"and other stuff I did not understand. I just don't really get it or understand how guys can enjoy a show like this. Again, not trying to be a dick would just like to know why you guys are so serious with MLP:FIM
The most commonly given reasons why guys enjoy this show are that the characters are well-rounded and relatable, and the animation is really good (heck, this and Wakfu caused my opinion of Flash animation to do a 180).

Some appreciate the effort that was put into a show that's targeted towards little girls. Some find the characters, the settings, and even the occasional hokey-ness of it charming. Some are like, "OMG they're so cute, I wanna hug them! :D" And yes, I'm sure plenty see a sort of forbidden fruit-type of appeal in finding enjoyment in being fans of a girly horsie cartoon despite being outside of the target demographic.

Personally I wouldn't say that I'm "serious" with this show. When I first became a fan a couple of years ago, I was, like, super into it. Today I've kind of mellowed out, and now I see it more as another show that I like to watch.

A friend of mine said:
I was never expecting Twilight to get into a DBZ style battle with Satan.
To be fair though, she had it coming.

Reactions: Caleb
Thanks for your responses. I understand way better now. At first, I thought it was strange but Detective Q's answer was really simple and banished what I envisioned MLP's male fans were like. I guess I envisioned males that like MLP super obsessed with the series or something? The dudes I spoke with were really into it, like how folks could be into, let's say, Naruto or Bleach: really heavy and die-hard fans - quoting characters, collecting stuff etc. I mean, I guess it shouldn't be weird even if you guys were die-hard like that. lol Idk I just took it as like, a grown man completely immersing himself in Powerpuff Girls(which is not a bad show but you get what I mean) or something. Just odd.

lemme just say, those fans you described DO exist, but they are not representations of every fan. There are some who are more obsessed than others, but generally the fans are just guys who really like cartoons and/or grew up with stuff Lauren Faust worked on.

It's just like every fan base. It has its good sides and its dark sides. But as for me, I like the show because it never fails to make me smile with its humour and lovable characters.
And by watching some episodes, I felt like I was a child again who was watching Looney Tunes ou Disney. And it's so well done, everyone can watch it. Heck, I showed my father one episode and he was laughing like crazy (the one parodying Valentine's day with Big Mac and Cheerilee). They did so that, even if the main characters are girls, it's not aim at girls, like the first generations were.
And it has some very good morales about friendship.

At first I was like everyone else : "MLP ? What the actual f*** ?" But I tried the first season and I liked it.

Amazing songs, great animation, lovable characters and interesting stories. Even if some episodes are not great (or completely terrible like Spike at your Service), it's a good show that'll give you a good time !

And also, because of it, I met two wonderful people who are now my very best friends. So I'm kinda thankful for this show to exist. I encountered lots of awesome people in the fan-base.

Last edited:
I honestly heard a lot of guys liked it, so I was curious and tried it out. after the first 2 episodes I was hooked. but I kinda stopped after the third season, not because I hated the 3rd season's ending or anything, I saw it coming. I was just happy that the show was still gonna go on past that and lost interest of it for other things. I've seen a couple episodes of season 4 and they've been pretty good. I'll probably sit down and marathon it whenever I can find the full fourth season though.

I just realized that Tirek and his brother/servant Scorpan already appeared back in 1984, in the original My Little Pony cartoon:
473px-Tirek.jpg
691px-Scorpan.jpg
That’s awesome!

did Scorpan die (whatever the FiM equivalent is?) or did he turn back to normal like he did in the original cartoon?

I just realized that Tirek and his brother/servant Scorpan already appeared back in 1984, in the original My Little Pony cartoon:
473px-Tirek.jpg
691px-Scorpan.jpg
That’s awesome!
B-but mah trivia...

did Scorpan die (whatever the FiM equivalent is?) or did he turn back to normal like he did in the original cartoon?
He returned to his home land. While in G1 his demonic form was a curse, in the G4 reboot he's Tirek's brother and the form he has is most likely his normal one.

You’re a criminal, Clown Prince! I can’t possibly read what’s within your spoiler-tags, it could be a trap!

But yeah, you defeated me. This time.

Man, I am so glad that I went into Twilight's Kingdom with dirt expectations. I had a bad feeling that the episode, like the finale to season 3, would be an overly rushed attempt to get in all the stuff that Hasbro forced them to do for toy sales without enough cohesiveness to justify them.

I was so mistaken. Low expectations are AWESOME!

The stakes were raised to an all new high, the characterization was its usual quality, the animation looked like the kind of stuff I would have expected to be in Season 5, and the Rainbow Power, while kind of lame looking, wasn't badly shoehorned in like I feared it would be.

And, of course, that fight sequence was the CRAZIEST FREAKING SHIT!!! I was watching that scene with my hands on my head, wide-eyed, and speechless, trying to assure myself that this was, in fact, a show intended for a younger female audience, and not an episode from some forgotten spinoff of Dragon Ball Z.

I still need to consider this and the other episodes of the season some more before I am certain, but I might just end up declaring Twilight's Kingdom my favorite episode of Season 4, and if not, easily among my Top 5 of the season.

I enjoyed Tirek more in his weakened state than the full-powered one, btw. There's just something about sly cunning villains that makes 'em more interesting that walking death rays.

I also liked how Discord's smile didn't even twitch when he went "Surely you saw this coming" to a crying Fluttershy. The villain in him will never be truly gone and that's a good thing personality-wise.

Reactions: juju_for_president
I enjoyed Tirek more in his weakened state than the full-powered one, btw. There's just something about sly cunning villains that makes 'em more interesting that walking death rays.

I also liked how when Discord's smile didn't even twitch when he went "Surely you saw this coming" to a crying Fluttershy. The villain in him will never be truly gone and that's a good thing personality-wise.
Tirec's entire progression of strength was really neat. In the beginning, he was kind of a wuss, and could only get stronger by sapping the magic of one unicorn at a time... when the unicorn was alone... in an alley... at night... and he still managed to get immediately discovered by Celestia and Luna. If Discord wanted to, Tirec would have lost easily, but Tirec was able to not only avoid this, but manipulate Discord enough to allow Tirec to get stronger, eventually allowing him to simply muscle his way though everyone that would try to stop him, getting even stronger with each pony he beat.

I find this pretty relevant in light of the recent "why do grown men watch this" conversation.

Reactions: juju_for_president
In 2007, Tony Trischka released the album 'Double Banjo Bluegrass Spectacular'. The cover featured a hot-air balloon with two passengers, not unlike the opening to MLP.
g04147.jpg
balloonride.jpg

The finale for season 4 of MLP: FiM was titled Twilight's Kingdom. Interestingly, the fourth song on Tony's album is titled Twilight Kingdom.

Coincidence? .... Absolutely. But it's a fun coincidence!

Reactions: AxHell and Muro
Best-finale-ever...
SO MUCH EXPLOSIONS.

I love me a good fight scene, no matter what I'm watching, and that was one heck of a brawl. Heck, I'm gonna go watch it again just because.

This is awesome in more then 3 ways at once. I haven't had some good pony-stuff since the finale of season 4... thanks Muro.

So has anyone else seen Rainbow Rocks yet? I went with friends earlier today, and we liked it much better than the first movie.

Oh, and be sure to stay after the credits. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shamash-Nui
I've heard bits and pieces about it, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet.

At this point, much of my desire to watch it is out of morbid curiosity of certain things:

Is Flash Sentry going to get some actual character development?
Is the Flashlight ship going to be sunk? (PLEASE LET IT BE SO)
Are some of the songs actually terrible like I've heard from some people?

And the most important question of all, and the one that can absolutely make the movie worth watching to me: is the whole movie pretty much just MLP:FiM meets Jem and the Holograms like I so desire it to be?

The movie is better than first, and the soundtrack is tier A+:
This song is awesome and of course:

And the animation increased his quality a lot

MASSIVE SPOILER
all "exclusives short" didn't appeared on the movie, that very smart for viral campaign!

Reactions: Caleb
Yeah, I enjoyed the movie a lot, and was surprised at how much better the music was

Huge spoilers (not really that huge but still)
Sirens are canon
Star Swirl mention

Only one bad song, and I'm 99.9% sure it was bad on purpose. 'Cause gosh dang it was awful.
Also, Vinyl Scratch has the second-best car in the world.

As someone of the "Horsy not humen!"-faction I’m not really interested in Rainbow Rocks too much, but I kind of dig the scenario with the band-battle and the sirens look cool. Even though they have written "bad guys" on their forehead from the first moment you see them. But hey, cartoon. Logic only destroys the fun. And their plan really is evil:

D:

I might watch this once it’s available on stream / digital download because there isn’t a cinema in this country who plays this now and I don’t enjoy the dub anyway.

Just seen the movie. I am pleased. Plot was ok, music was fun, blue siren was adorable.

Oh what's so wrong with a little competition.

It was the TV version, meaning there's some content that I didn't get to see. All the more reason to watch the full-er version some time later.

Fake edit: Part of the charm of bumping this thread is going straight down and seeing who makes a habit out of reading it. Hello there!

Last edited:
Sonata was adorable. Definitely my favorite siren, though Aria has the best design of the three.

I'm the odd one out and am not actually too driven to watch the movies. Both because a general lack of interest, and because they're written by my least favorite writer in the MLP staff.
The sooner McCarthy is out of that show, the better.

Still, hopefully all this happening means S5 is around the corner, cause that would be nice.

A movie was confirmed for 2017.
That isn't Equestria Girls.

I'm cautiously hype.