• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

One Big Night! One Big Show! One Big Man! One Big Band! General Discussion

I hope they add a slight voice changy thing of some sort, around Peacock level would be good.

Ok I can't believe I never noticed this and abused it myself, but I just played a set with Age and we found Squigly doing sing lvl 2 x daisy pusher hits BB FULL SCREEN.

This means BB is not allowed to be on the ground against Squigly with 1 meter. Ever. Even landing into a sing is enough to set this up, so every single time you play this matchup, you better jump and every single time you jump, you better open her up or at least lock her down, because other wise you are as good as opened up yourself.

I kinda (really) hope Big Band's throwable box is reduced horizontally such that this situation is impossible because its kinda dumb that it works full screen I think.

Shoutouts to @Age for the disgusting discovery.

I think it is limited by where you are on the stage, but it does feel way too strong.

I think it is limited by where you are on the stage, but it does feel way too strong.
In the sense that it doesn't work if BB is in the corner and you are full screen haha, or if Squigs is in the corner and you are full screen. Elsewhere it works.

Ok I can't believe I never noticed this and abused it myself, but I just played a set with Age and we found Squigly doing sing lvl 2 x daisy pusher hits BB FULL SCREEN.

This means BB is not allowed to be on the ground against Squigly with 1 meter. Ever. Even landing into a sing is enough to set this up, so every single time you play this matchup, you better jump and every single time you jump, you better open her up or at least lock her down, because other wise you are as good as opened up yourself.

I kinda (really) hope Big Band's throwable box is reduced horizontally such that this situation is impossible because its kinda dumb that it works full screen I think.

Shoutouts to @Age for the disgusting discovery.
rofl this is some nonsense. Big Band why you gotta be so big (and band).

That's worth fixing.
There are a few problems, though:
- Reducing Big Band's backside (^.^) so it doesn't hit puts him a decent amount offscreen visually in the corner
- Reducing the hitbox width of Daisy Pusher affects her vs everyone
- Making it so Daisy won't work if the character is visually as far away as BB is will mean it'd overlap his hitbox (and ONLY hits) and not hit, in some instances.

Thoughts? I should probably put this in Squigly general, but I dunno where that is. :^P

That's worth fixing.
I'm, obviously, not familiar with the Z emgine or your coding style, but would it be possible or practical to purposely make certain tech character specific? I can think of quite a few reason not to do it en masse but I dont see a few extremely isolated incidents causing great problems.

I dunno, could it be possible to do option one, but only while the lvl 2 sing is active?

Aside from that, I do think option three would be the best, because daisy pusher shouldn't be a full screen thing, no matter what the opponents size is.

ah well, I guess there's no option but to remove big band.

More seriously, could daisy pusher be changed to be instant at point blank, and delayed enough to allow reaction jumping at long range (I think bella's 360 is like this?).

More seriously, could daisy pusher be changed to be instant at point blank, and delayed enough to allow reaction jumping at long range (I think bella's 360 is like this?).
I would assume that's possible, you could just have one small hitbox right next to her immediately after the flash, then a larger hitbox covering the whole grave that shows up like a frame or two later.

bellas 360 is just an instant thing if you are in range then you get grabbed, it does that weird sliding thing as well if you hit right on the edge of its hitbox too for some reason.

bellas 360 is just an instant thing if you are in range then you get grabbed, it does that weird sliding thing as well if you hit right on the edge of its hitbox too for some reason.
I thought the sliding thing meant they could have jumped it post-flash, haven't tested it though.

I thought the sliding thing meant they could have jumped it post-flash, haven't tested it though.

nah i tested this way back in vanilla skullgirls. i thought whatever it was that produced the slide meant you got extra range on it. turns out it is just if you hit with the edge of the hitbox then you get the slide. not sure why it does that. no extra range at all.

That's worth fixing.
There are a few problems, though:
- Reducing Big Band's backside (^.^) so it doesn't hit puts him a decent amount offscreen visually in the corner
- Reducing the hitbox width of Daisy Pusher affects her vs everyone
- Making it so Daisy won't work if the character is visually as far away as BB is will mean it'd overlap his hitbox (and ONLY hits) and not hit, in some instances.

Thoughts? I should probably put this in Squigly general, but I dunno where that is. :^P
I'd say option 1 but I don't know how far back you would have to move him.

Option 3 sounds pretty satisfactory, but it sounds like a bit of a strange workaround and might be confusing in training mode with boxes on, but is probably the most aesthetically sound option I guess.

I'm going with Option 3, which makes the most sense. It's toooooooooooooo far back to move him, he gets to walk halfway offscreen if I fix it that way.

@off topic

Cerebella's 360 slides to move her away from the back wall if she is too close. That's all. It only happens after the grab, no range difference.
She also hops backward on the first slam to move herself farther away from the front wall if that's too close,

Not so sure any of those solutions are satisfactory, but I'm also of the opinion that it may not be as bad as predicted.
In order for this to work you have to give the Squigly time to charge up the lvl 2. Big Band has the tools to disrupt that from full screen (HK Step). He has the tools to deal with Squigly up close (Beat Extend, c.MK, da Brass, etc). He can even get in from the air quickly with j.MKx2 if he, for whatever reason, let Squigly get full screen away.

I doubt the metagame will end up with BB being free to Daisy all day and he can't do a damn thing about it. But then again the BB metagame is in its infancy so who knows.

Not so sure any of those solutions are satisfactory, but I'm also of the opinion that it may not be as bad as predicted.
In order for this to work you have to give the Squigly time to charge up the lvl 2. Big Band has the tools to disrupt that from full screen (HK Step). He has the tools to deal with Squigly up close (Beat Extend, c.MK, da Brass, etc). He can even get in from the air quickly with j.MKx2 if he, for whatever reason, let Squigly get full screen away.

I doubt the metagame will end up with BB being free to Daisy all day and he can't do a damn thing about it. But then again the BB metagame is in its infancy so who knows.

any blocked hairball = fully charged sing, from there you just wait till he's on the ground.

It's pretty bad considering you can get a stance charge off Liver Mortis, which you can get off a Daisy. It's also about to be fixed.

Reactions: Tomo009
plus the charge time for level 2 specials isnt exactly long. plus you can charge them in small increments by cancelling it.

THANK YOU MIKE Z, for the sound stun Giant steps :D
I was hoping those would become at least link-able in the future.

And Giant step H looks really good now too. More threatening full screen now, it seems.

can some one explain the usefulness of Giants step, I still don't get it, I understand Heavy version is unblockable though?

It's an overhead, the LK version is now I think 19f, and you can combo off it? The H version also does a quake that they must jump if they are not hit by the inital attack.

Reactions: Arcana
any blocked hairball = fully charged sing, from there you just wait till he's on the ground.
Don't block hairball. Jump over it and fuck Squigly over (j.LK, j.LP, j.HK, etc.) Use H Brass which beats H hairball. Use M or H Beat Extend that eat H hairball for breakfast. c.MK, c.LK, c.MP, s.LK can all beat hairball on reaction and you can obviously cancel into w/e to wreck Squigly's face. If all else fails, you can parry xx H Beat xx Jazz or just parry xx Jazz. And if you blocked hairball, well, there's always PBGC. But that takes too long and she'll get charge.

All of this is assuming close-mid range which is the only time they'd ever throw out hairball and the only place you probably should ever be with BB vs Squigly (everyone?).

It's pretty bad considering you can get a stance charge off Liver Mortis, which you can get off a Daisy. It's also about to be fixed.
If BB gets hit, yes that's expected. But why are you getting hit by Squigly when you have parry, high priority normals, a great ground-air special, and armor?

I guess all of this shifted from the daisy issue to a more general BB vs Squig metagame thing. Whoops :^V

^^^

/facepalm

Don't block hairball.

This is like the 'don't get hit' thing but even sillier. You're big band, good luck dodging every single move that can cause blockstun and lead into hairball, it's not like you're a gigantic target or anything.

This is like the 'don't get hit' thing but even sillier. You're big band, good luck dodging every single move that can cause blockstun and lead into hairball, it's not like you're a gigantic target or anything.

Good luck hitting a 12 frame startup move (hairball) on "reaction" with a..... Wait for it....

12 frame startup move (cr.mk) amongst other absurdities in that post... But its w/e... Just laughable.

Changes to Giant Step are real. I was sort of worried it would be too easy to jump on reaction but I was just playing @mpgame99 and he got me with it like infinity times. You can definitely react to it if you're scouting it but if you're not it's like "hey what's Big Band doing over there, oh I'm dead".

Also with the changes to the L and M versions you can now do c.LK xx L/M Giant Step (which combos) and then combo into H Beat Extend, and from there you can go nuts.

It's like you didn't even read my post.
Parry exists, armor exists, and if it came down to it PBGC exists. What are you doing getting into blockstun for so long that Squigly can get a charge up? If you are you are more than likely not doing Big Band justice.

It's like you didn't even read my post.
Parry exists, armor exists, and if it came down to it PBGC exists. What are you doing getting into blockstun for so long that Squigly can get a charge up? If you are you are more than likely not doing Big Band justice.

I play against big band. I think it's unreasonable to suggest that playing a character well means you *never* get put into blockstun. Stop being silly.

hey i noticed something about Big Band,
1.) Parrying Val's poisons still poisons you
2.) beat extend after grab only works on Val for some reason

Reactions: mcpeanuts
How much faster is he going to make Giant Step? Oh well, I can't complain, seine this only makes Big Band's only and most dangerous mix-up even more deadly:

Behold, s.LK > L Giant Step and despair! Hahahahahahaha, try blocking this in America!

Last edited:
2.) beat extend after grab only works on Val for some reason
This is a good catch! I wouldn't have guessed it worked on some characters and not others. I went back and checked for the whole cast, throw xx H Beat Extend works on only Valentine and Big Band (cause he's so big (and band)).

This is a good catch! I wouldn't have guessed it worked on some characters and not others. I went back and checked for the whole cast, throw xx H Beat Extend works on only Valentine and Big Band (cause he's so big (and band)).
oh yah I forgot to test it on :BIG:, I understand how it works on BB but either it shouldn't work on Val or it should work on every one?

as you can see in the pics below BB appears to be the same distance away from the Val and Fortune hit-boxes, yet beat extend will only hit Val (spoilering for size)
aw9BEg7.jpg

n1UwsKC.jpg
EDIT: sorry for the double Post, i could have sworn that some one posted before me

Last edited:
as you can see in the pics below BB appears to be the same distance away from the Val and Fortune hit-boxes, yet beat extend will only hit Val (spoilering for size)
aw9BEg7.jpg

n1UwsKC.jpg
You know that's odd. It does look like it should work on both characters. If anything Fortune looks like she's a little closer to Big Band than Valentine.