• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

One Big Night! One Big Show! One Big Man! One Big Band! General Discussion

You can kara cancel st.hk (I guess st.hp too) into beat extend for a bit of extra range.
Yeah but that's hard.

cr.mp cr.mp cr.hp is for the lazy.
I don't even do that, I throw and then go right into H Brass Knuckles.

After some playing, I don't know if I could expect to see Big Band parry online. It's just too much of a risk. Offline, you can bet your ass you'll see parries.

After some playing, I don't know if I could expect to see Big Band parry online. It's just too much of a risk. Offline, you can bet your ass you'll see parries.
You can parry fine, especially as a bit of a time buyer on resets to give you time to react. Problem is you still have to guess whether to mash forward or down and it still isn't 50/50 because of throw and delayed resets.

Offline you can parry more things and it isn't a terrible idea to, but its not easy to use it effectively. PBGC parry is something Age reminded me I should experiment with.

So, Big Band got a few new things with the latest patch, these are the ones I noticed:

-j.MK (Sweet Clarinet) is more "edged out", only misses color now

-Super-Sonic Jazz has new (fire red) Effects

-Bagpipe Blues has audio, so you can start to bury your opponents properly by giving them a little bagpipe concert before ;)

And the biggest thing: Victory quotes!

I heard three (all in the flying away-pose, the other one dosnt seem to have quotes yet):

1. "I have to go now, my planet needs me."

Okay, this is awesome. It’s literally the very first thing that came to my mind when I saw Big Band taking off for the first time :D

2. "We come to our terms. See you Space Cowboy."

This just has to be Cowboy Bebop. The thing with the "terms" could mean a Bounty Hunter contract and "See you Space Cowboy" is shown at the end of every episode, and in the hunter show that airs within the series itself. Also, Bounty Hunters are called "Spacy Cowboys" in the anime, so figures.

There is a third one (and maybe more) but I couldn’t hear it since Marie was blowing up that time ;)

So yeah, that’s it. If there’s other changes you noticed, post them, and feel free to correct the quotes because as I said earlier English isn’t my native tongue so I could have made mistakes about that.

The second victory quote starts with "We have come to terms." The third one I heard is "Even the sky ain't the limit."

The third one I heard is "Even the sky ain't the limit."

Yes that’s the one, thank you. I knew I heard something with "Sky" in it, but Marie just likes to scream when she dies. Damn you, Skullgirl! ;D

Reactions: Lavama
The second victory quote starts with "We have come to terms." The third one I heard is "Even the sky ain't the limit."
You hear that Muro?

It's Band time.

There is a fourth one, but I can’t make sense of it.

It’s something like “I’ve got to go see a man about a dog”.

I’m sorry guys, I know you always have to correct me, but I can’t stop myself from posting ;)

Oh man, that's awesome! Does he have any for his sax winpose? Or is it just him playing the sax?

Oh man, that's awesome! Does he have any for his sax winpose? Or is it just him playing the sax?

Nothing for the sax pose yet, I think it will be just him playing the sax.

So exciting, I can't wait until he is officially done

I really hope that Big Band watches TV with Peacock cause the home planet, and space cowboy win quotes don't really make sense otherwise.

I was hoping the filter would be a bit more extreme, I barely heard it at first. Not necessarily a bad thing though.
Maybe I just need to listen to it more.

The new filter sounds a lot better.

It really does. It doesn’t ruin Rich Brown’s wonderful voice, but adds the metallic reverberated undertone that is only logical if someone wears an apparatus like that. And it’s cool that the filter isn’t too strong, for one thing because of the awesome voice Big Band has, for the other it’s just logical. His vocal cords seem to be intact and working, so his voice isn’t fully artificial generated.

Double is a… yeah, what is she actually? But to me, it isn’t surprising that a creature like her sounds so irritating. But I think she talks normal when she’s not in her true form. Peacock on the other hand; her whole mouth is filled with metal, so no wonder why she sounds that way.

I really hope that Big Band watches TV with Peacock cause the home planet, and space cowboy win quotes don't really make sense otherwise.

Yeah. Big Band and Ileum are like the Daddy and Mommy of Lab 8, as senior members they surely look after the little ones, no doubt. Even the ones, who don’t want to be parented, like Peacock. Or Leduc and Hive, I think these two are in the age when they think they’re big enough to do everything themselves, but quite often bite of more than they can chew. Aka Teenagers ;)

I know this isn’t quite canon, but we see Ileum taking care of the younger members in the background of the Lab 8-Stage, and I don’t think Big Band is so antisocial that he doesn’t want to spent time with them. It’s his family now, after all.

I think these two are in the age when they think they’re big enough to do everything themselves, but quite often bite of more than they can chew.

I know you ain't misbehavin'!

Reactions: Glissando
The "See a Man about a Dog" one confuses me.
It's just an old timey phrase for saying you need to go to leave for something. Generally for something like going to the bathroom.

I wasn't all that hyped about Big Band, but seeing that video makes me super excited for his inclusion in the game.
I see now why Alex Ahad wanted Skullgirls to be a fighting game rather than an RPG or some other genre, there's no better way to give Skullgirls real character than through good old fashioned hand drawn animation and voice acting.

Reactions: Arcana
With the recent change to throw, throw xx H Beat Extend now works midscreen on everyone except for Squigly.

Last edited:
With the recent change to throw, throw xx H Beat Extend now works on everyone except for Squigly.
Lol, that's funny. Snake-hips is still too skinny.

Oh, so they put in "Now that's just bassist" to Cerebella. Once again I'd like to think it was my post in the old Skullheart forum in the character quotes thread that inspired this despite how easy it was to come up with it. LOL Does Cerebella say anything to make Big Band say that? I believe I had her call his kind Low Brass, but I can't remember the full quote I wrote for her.

I'm pretty sure no one except Marie has voice clips AGAINST Big Band, but I could be wrong. I spend all my time AS the big guy that I never get to hear.

I don't think they've recorded the new lines for any of the other characters yet, including Marie since her versus quotes against him are fairly generic.

Squigly was easy since she was originally planned to be playable when they were recording, so everyone already had lines for her, but the rest of the new characters are going to require a trip back into the VA booth for everyone but Squigly (since they were able to knock out all her lines in advance) before he's done.

I think the last change to H Brass Knuckles makes the Peacock matchup a bit harder. Not so much the fact that it's only 2 hits of armor now but more the fact that the move doesn't go full screen anymore. You can't just hold downback forever then decide to hit forward and get in. You can still kara the move with s.MK or s.HK which Mike Z demoed last Friday, and that makes it go full screen, but you don't always have the frames for that. It also makes the rush punch a little easier to see coming, like hey why's Big Band doing s.MK from full screen like that. H Giant Step seems like the better tool for getting in against Peacock now. I was having the best success just getting the hard knockdown from that move then calling my assist and dashing in.

Not that I'm complaining about any of this, I play Peacock and that matchup was nonsense before. I'm just saying it's more even now.

Yeah, it's definitely more even now since Peacock still has to be careful and pay close attention to BB while zoning him but BB can't just completely shut her down like he could before.

Also I learned the other night that a taunt-charged SSJ can completely armor through Argus (or anything, apparently) at full screen, so that's definitely a tool at his disposal so long as he's staying on top of his taunts.

I feel peacock can effectively prevent him from taunting, which is why I use Double and Squigly Assists

The only time I ever really taunt is on the opponent's incoming. I think you can get a safe taunt off his sliding knockdowns but I would rather just go in if I get one of those.

Reactions: Tomo009
If you're quick enough, you can also get a taunt after SSJ, but you have to do it while the opponent is still in the air. Mike has also been toying with some other taunt setups but they have yet to grab me when he shows them off.

Oh man, that's nuts. I was watching the stream last night but I never understood that it was supposed to be Gato. Now that I know what it is I have trouble seeing why I couldn't get that at the time, lol

Reactions: Goodbye18000
Big that Cat? I thought the purple one was that Darkwing Duck palette I've been waiting on Mike to do. Then again, maybe that palette would be more obvious if Big Band's mouthpiece was yellow.

The shader for Gato palette is looking gorgeous.

Guess what? We got new Big Band colors today. Here's what I think they are (I'm sure for a few, some not so much)
Oh hey, Big Zam!