• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

One Big Night! One Big Show! One Big Man! One Big Band! General Discussion

Squigly has a ghost colour anyway. You can still do it.

.......I totally forgot.
Welp, time to learn all three of those characters when the time comes, then.

Sheeeeit, Big Band's air throw looks awesome. Check out the archives of LabZero's twitch to see what I'm talking about.

I hope you can call out songs as assists.
Also, allow people to play at the beginning of the match but make it do no damage.
I want to start every match with the protoman whistle.

Hoping we could see his specials on this week's Salty Cupcakes! Totally looking forward to seeing more crazy moves from Big Band. As soon as he gets into the beta, I'm gonna practice him hours on end, man.

Yo, does anyone have any screenshots of the recent animation streams like of the past 2 weeks? For some reason, they aren't archived.

last week i dont think got any special highlight, i just skimmed and from what it looks like Mike Z did not even appear

last week i dont think got any special highlight, i just skimmed and from what it looks like Mike Z did not even appear
He was at Salty Cupcakes last week, but at 3/4th of it. He was working on the consoles, and didn't have enough time to implement new moves to Big Band last week as far as I'm concerned.

So Big Band got that Tamborine special today, but Mike didn't really explain what it was. Is it a launcher? An anti-air? A grab even? It's gonna be cool when more of his moves start getting hitboxes and he gets more specials, cause it's hard to tell what direction his character is going combo wise since he can't do much in that way at the moment. I do hope Mike is still going for the whole "Q but better" approach when designing him, cause Q is like literally my favorite character to play in any fighter, let alone SF.

Last edited:
So Big Band got that Tamborine special today, but Mike didn't really explain what it was. Is it a launcher? An anti-air? A grab even? It's gonna be cool when more of his moves start getting hitboxes and he gets more specials, cause it's hard to tell what direction his character is going combo wise since he can't do much in that way at the moment. I do hope Mike is still going for the whole "Q but better" approach when designing him, cause Q is like literally my favorite character to play in any fighter, let alone SF.
I have no idea. My best guess is it's an anti air grab.

Mike also mentioned that none of Big Band's jumping punches are done because for any of them to be done they all need to be done, because of reasons. So it sounds like Big Band's jumping jab, strong, and fierce are going to be.... something. That's like news.

I have no idea. My best guess is it's an anti air grab.

Mike also mentioned that none of Big Band's jumping punches are done because for any of them to be done they all need to be done, because of reasons. So it sounds like Big Band's jumping jab, strong, and fierce are going to be.... something. That's like news.
To be honest, I think it's just some weird looking anti air. I don't recall it being a grab in the concept arts:
big_band_080_feelthebeatdownfromthis_tambourine_ohhyeaah-1024x510.png

As opposed to his attack titled "launch":
big_band_043_launch.png

Just my two cents, but I don't think its a grab.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the tambourine special is a DP because that's what it looks like to me. Time will tell.

On stream it didn't "close" at the end, as if it expected something between the two parts. I'd bet it's a command grab like Excellebella where you grab the opponent and shake him.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Any timeline for when he will be released?

Any timeline for when he will be released?
~3 months after squiggly was finished.
My guess would be somewhere in mid December or Early January if it takes longer than they thought.

Reactions: blufang
So the tamborine thing was demoed more last night. It's a hit grab basically. When it connects fully, the opponent gets clamped between the two tamborine hands. You then can shake left and right for extra damage (Mike said this might not be staying). It is also strike invincible but not throw invincible. Since it's an invincible move obviously the first thing I think is, what if you made this an assist? But if you need extra inputs for it to go into the full animation, it might not work for that. I guess we'll see.

Video from last night:

Reactions: Shockdingo and Dime
On stream it didn't "close" at the end, as if it expected something between the two parts. I'd bet it's a command grab like Excellebella where you grab the opponent and shake him.

Hello...oh Burl! Yeah, I thought this was you on my phone because I looked at the called ID so that's how I knew YOU FREAKIN' CALLED IT. Nice stuff, man.

Just went looking through the archives on persona's stream
Anyone know what these could be?
bigband.gif

bigband.png

bigbandposter.png

NOTE - is that Peacock in the movie poster? Definitely would make sense
MORENOTE - hand reaching towards Peacock = Big Band protective of/protecting her maybe in his storymode? who is hand? (probably val or dubs)

Last edited:
1) Start up for a dash punch move called "Brass Knuckle"
2) A dash punch move called "Brass Knuckle"
3) His movie poster that all of the main cast has/will get.

Reactions: Mao
3) His movie poster that all of the main cast has/will get.
Actually I remember persona referring to it as a book cover based on a book cover by Agatha Christie (can't remember which one it was)

The cover has the words 'from the author of' on it

Actually I remember persona referring to it as a book cover based on a book cover by Agatha Christie (can't remember which one it was)

The cover has the words 'from the author of' on it
Well shoot. That one was a guess, but the other two are true.

It's either a special move in lieu of a Q rush punch, or perhaps a super. That poster/book cover is awesome.

loooool this guy is called Agent York.

#Done

Reactions: Icky
Judging from the looks of his poster, it gives away a sort of vibe the 90's Batman cartoon had; and of course the noire films. I wish there was a larger version of that pic though!
Also seems like Peacock's involved in his story somehow. Maybe Big Band's protecting her somehow? I'm also quite curious about the hand in the lower right corner, and like what Shockdingo said, it could be possible that it's linked to his betraying units.

Besides of the poster, his newer moves are coming along great!

Got more stuff of 'brass knuckle'
bigband2.png

295z3aa.gif

So from what I can tell this move is probably a special with various variations with a rush punch (maybe will end up as 2 variations L & M I think) and an anti air grab (for H) in the vain of Potemkin's Heat Knuckle, involving Big Band reaching upward and pulling the target into his fist. Wouldn't surprise me too much considering Mike seems to love taking inspiration from that character. Also the move seems to be chargeable (maybe for armor?)

Last edited:
Wow he's looking awesome... Like what panzerfaust would have been... Only with woodwinds instead of guns.

I'm sooooooooo.... Liking his concept. I still don't know how he won't be the worst character in the game unless he gets the Bella treatment of getting absolutely disgusting tools to make up for his inherent weaknesses.

295z3aa.gif

So from what I can tell this move is probably a special with various variations with a rush punch (maybe will end up as 2 variations L & M I think) and an anti air grab (for H) in the vain of Potemkin's Heat Knuckle, involving Big Band reaching upward and pulling the target into his fist. Wouldn't surprise me too much considering Mike seems to love taking inspiration from that character. Also the move seems to be chargeable (maybe for armor?)

Oh man, that looks so sick. I can't wait for more of his specials to make it into the game. For anyone that missed yesterday's Salty, Big Band didn't get any new moves but all of his ground normals now hit, and he got a bunch of new non-attack animations such as hitstun, stagger, blocking, standing up from knockdown, and excellibella. Mike also showed that his large size gives opponents some interesting character specific combos against him, but because of the way the IPS works of course, you can't dribble him for long periods like certain other large characters in fighting games.

Since I'm seriously planning on maining him, I really hope he gets some op tools to offset his hugeness..
I didn't like the look of his normals... The only ones that seemed remarkable were the cr.hp and cr.mk

And even still I would expect him to have a good amount of disjointed hitbox stuff since it's near impossible to make him fast it seems that he's going to have to be designed with priority in mind.

We also haven't seen what he's got in the way of mixups... Will he have a double jump or airdash or some special to recreate those effects? Etc etc etc...

Still super excited and chomping at the bit to get my hands on him though.... I hope a playable version of him is available soon, but I really want to see a new fighting game style as well... Some cool stuff to figure out like squiglys stances or something.

We also haven't seen what he's got in the way of mixups... Will he have a double jump or airdash or some special to recreate those effects? Etc etc etc...

I believe he does have a double jump, but I might be wrong.

His j.mk looks like it would be a good left/right mixup, if you could choose the way he'll float to on the second button press.

And even still I would expect him to have a good amount of disjointed hitbox stuff since it's near impossible to make him fast it seems that he's going to have to be designed with priority in mind.
This is what I'm starting to see out of him too, which I'm not sure I like all that much yet. Sure, it will make him really good if it does, but I would still like to see the Q elements too. Like the parry, high-low, the risk-taking, the buffs if you make a good risk, the command-grab, stuff like that. I'm worried they will get overshadowed by the priority, much like Bella and how she was supposed to be a grappler.

Speaking of the parry, what ever happened to that? Did it drop off the face of the Earth?

Reactions: Dime
I want that Poster <3

Nothing exciting to add, but I am soooooooo excited to play this guy. I wonder what the most popular team ups are going to be.

I'm really hoping Big Band hits the endless beta in a few weeks, he certainly seems like he's getting there

I'm really hoping Big Band hits the endless beta in a few weeks, he certainly seems like he's getting there
I have the feeling he'll be there as soon as all of his rough animations get implemented in the game. I expect we'll probably get to play him on the first week of November.

You decide this is an auspicious time to start a jazz band.