• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

One Big Night! One Big Show! One Big Man! One Big Band! General Discussion

You wait for the wall bounce first. It works haha ,I use it all the time.
Whaaaaat! Time to hit the lab again...

I've been having a good deal of success with Big Band (HP Beat Extend) / Squigly (2HP). Squigly's Cremation gives Big Band a threatening Giant Step / Cremation assist mixup and a reliable hit confirm. My usual BnB is this:

2LK 2MK [Assist] 5HK 214MK
2MP 5HP j.MP j.HP j.HK
etc. etc., and the assist timing can be changed for mixup.

And Squigly just adores a good, massive reversal.

You are missing out on some crazy damage by not using Brass Knuckle

Although that combo might still work with Beat Extend instead of Brass knuckle.

For the instant overhead j.mk you can call a lockdown assist for the combo. Or do the j.mk and delay the j.hk a little bit so you can get the bounce and keep the combo.

I made a Big Band beginner guide thing

Thank you sooo much, I am fucking terrible with this type of thing and this helps out soooooooooo much. This belongs on the front page imo : p

What, so other people will see it and learn from it as well?

Reactions: AdmiralAugustus
In MOST situations where you could parry, you can also mash Super Sonic Jazz or Beat Extend to blow though a blockstring instead.

But parry isn't that good for trying to counter blockstrings unless they're being incredibly braindead with them. It's best used for slow/telegraphed attacks (brass knuckles, H giant step, titan knuckle), or predictable moves that are commonly used to start pressure (Parasoul/Filia/Double's j.HP). The utility parry has doesn't really overlap with PBGC mashing. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have HELLA utility, though.

Also, practicing parry on Argus is a really poor choice since it doesn't help your parry timing much at all. You time the first parry then mash forward a hundred times, whereas in parrying to turn the tables around by putting your opponent at a frame disadvantage, or to prevent yourself from dying to chip, you will often need to know the timing for parrying multihit moves. That means adjusting your parry timing to compensate for the hitstop each parry causes, something that you don't have to do at all with Argus.

Last edited:
Also, practicing parry on Argus is a really poor choice

I practice it for that particular situation where somebody uses Argus at full screen, which happens fairly frequently. I don't see how that could be a bad thing.

I don't pretend that doing this will help me parry other things. Every special move and super has different timing and hitstop.

Reactions: blufang
@Jason, I watched your Big Band tutorial and I wanna ask something.

Remember the beginner combo at 13.00? If you replace the Brass Knuckles with the HK A-Train then that BnB will be around 6.4k. The intermediate BnB at 13:18 is somewhere around 6.5k but it's much easier and less risky to do the beginner combo with the HK A-Train. I just don't see how that Intermediate combo would be better, because it has moments where you can get beaten by the enemy's mashed super.

@Jason, I watched your Big Band tutorial and I wanna ask something.

Remember the beginner combo at 13.00? If you replace the Brass Knuckles with the HK A-Train then that BnB will be around 6.4k. The intermediate BnB at 13:18 is somewhere around 6.5k but it's much easier and less risky to do the beginner combo with the HK A-Train. I just don't see how that Intermediate combo would be better, because it has moments where you can get beaten by the enemy's mashed super.

Every combo has moments where you can be beaten by a mashed super if you mess it up. That's not a valid point at all.

The point of that intermediate combo is that you can use it to convert off of a raw QCB+MK. You can't do that with the beginner combo. Its also identical to the combo that starts from his ground throw. I'm sure there are better routes that are available but I never claimed they were optimized combos. HK A-train doesn't always connect after s.HK mid-screen on heavy characters, depending on how they're being juggled. MP Brass works every the time, HP Brass works like 80% of the time. The intermediate combo also does more meterless damage if you don't do the Super.

It is a tutorial to show new players some of the stuff that's possible, NOT a combo video. I didn't even want to put any combos into the guide in the first place because people keep making comments like this. No offense, but it gets annoying after a while.

Last edited:
Jason your tutorial rocked, you really showcased all of big band's tools and their various uses/how they work. I learned a lot from it and I'm sure many others did or will as well.

Jason your tutorial rocked, you really showcased all of big band's tools and their various uses/how they work. I learned a lot from it and I'm sure many others did or will as well.

Thanks a lot. I definitely think that more focus on what his various normals and specials for was important to emphasize instead of spending the entire thing going over combos and resets. There's enough stuff out there about that already.

Reactions: blufang and Emuchu
Thanks a lot. I definitely think that more focus on what his various normals and specials for was important to emphasize instead of spending the entire thing going over combos and resets. There's enough stuff out there about that already.
It's all good stuff. There're combo videos that teach you how to combo, and then there're tutorial videos that teach you how to actually hit stuff. They both have their place.

Unrelated, I was staring at the frame data for Beat Extend, and I discovered in horror that the anti-air hit boxes for all of them occur after the invulnerable frames. So that explains why it kept losing to air-dashing resets, haha.

It's all good stuff. There're combo videos that teach you how to combo, and then there're tutorial videos that teach you how to actually hit stuff. They both have their place.

Unrelated, I was staring at the frame data for Beat Extend, and I discovered in horror that the anti-air hit boxes for all of them occur after the invulnerable frames. So that explains why it kept losing to air-dashing resets, haha.

is that right? that might explain why i feel like mine were getting stuffed pretty regular in some matches today too. i thought maybe i was using the wrong version of messing up my PBGCs or something. gonna take another look at this soon.

update: ok so using a combination of slow motion and the hitbox viewer etc, the version you want to use to beat air dashing is the light version. the hitboxes actually hit in different places for each different version. the light version the first hitbox is basically like a wall in front of bigband at exactly air dash height. thats why mine were getting stuffed cos i thought that it was the H version i should have been using.

L and M versions are hit invincible but not throw invincible so youll need to be careful if the opp catches on.

defo use L as an assist though.

Last edited:
Speaking of Argus, what are some tools to get through
the wall of projectiles Peacock does? I've tried parrying
the flying bomb but when I land, HP Bang stops me completely.

It's dangerous, but the most consistent way to tag a Peacock is to maneuver into MP Brass Knuckles range and armor through HP Bang! or her George series. Brass Knuckles is preposterously fast and is way more reliable than Bella's Lock n' Load and Battle Butt at cruising through projectiles. The catch is that you have to use it with some finesse so that it doesn't get baited or Argus'd. I recommend getting into MP Knuckles range because it's a good balance of speed and armor. HP Knuckles can be Argus'd on reaction and LP lacks armor. HK Giant Step seemed like a good idea, at first, since it destroys LK and MK George in addition to hitting full-screen, but its usefulness dwindles if the Peacock player is backed by HK Bomber or her own HP Knuckles, which every Peacock is going to have.

I wouldn't worry about HP Bang too much, in fact it usually work out to your advantage. Its like -15 on block, it opens up a huge gap in her zoning and lets you actually threaten with Giant Step or a free punish up close.

Just downloaded Big Band on PSN and loaded up his Story Mode. 1st opponent is Cerebella and she says "You can has cheeseburger". Why does she say this to Big Band? It makes sense to say it to Ms. Fortune, but telling it to Big Band is just weird. I know it's nitpicking, but doesn't Bella have specific lines when fighting Big Band?
It's a joke. When Cerebella says it to Ms. Fortune the latter responds with "That's racist!" while Big Band responds "Now that's just bassist."

Reactions: RadicalFuzz
Ah. If it's to be something like what Zid did for Bella it'll probably take more than an afternoon to finish. I'll get started on something and when I have a rough draft I'll PM it to you and @Mr. X to see what y'all think.
Meant to reply sooner.

You can build it with time, the edit button won't expire. Don't bust your ass trying to get every intricate detail in there immediately.

Meant to reply sooner.

You can build it with time, the edit button won't expire. Don't bust your ass trying to get every intricate detail in there immediately.
Thanks, the thread is up: http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/big-band-compendium-read-this-for-combos.2853/

Not quite finished yet but the important stuff is in there, I'll add to it when I get the chance.

The BNB combos were stolen from @Tomo009 although I removed his number notation because I'm a hater. The situational combos are what I do, they probably aren't optimized so if anyone wants to take a look at it I'd appreciate it. Also everything I said in the normals/specials/supers sections is probably inaccurate so if someone wants to check that, that would be helpful as well.

Reactions: View619 and Mr. X
Thank you. Locked the thread for you and stickied.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I'm really enjoying H Lock n Load assist for BB. Makes me think of t-blade/ryu from TvC where the assist basically turns an unsafe character into a safe one. What are some assists that you guys like for BB?

Hey Peanuts, you may want to mention that sound stun breaks armour. Good job with the guide!

Hey Peanuts, you may want to mention that sound stun breaks armour. Good job with the guide!
Where did you get that idea
He should however mention that MP knuckle in fact has two hits of armor and the specifics of LP beat extend (It is the only one with an invincible anti-air hitbox, but has one fully vulnerable frame at startup and very few active frames)

Uh.. it doesn't? You can armor though Giant Step just fine.

Because Cymbal Clash has beaten my run as Bella, and that's sound stun right?

Where did you get that idea
He should however mention that MP knuckle in fact has two hits of armor and the specifics of LP beat extend (It is the only one with an invincible anti-air hitbox, but has one fully vulnerable frame at startup and very few active frames)
Thanks, I have updated the guide with this information. Total brainfart on the MP Brass armor, I was just like hurf it goes 0-1-2 because that's how numbers work~

I made a few updates to the Compendium:
-Added a short intro since it looked weird just having a bunch of spoilers and no text.
-Added a section on resets.
-Added a section on character specific notes (not so much how to play the matchup but just interactions between certain character specific moves that are good to be aware of).

Neither of the new sections are all that huge yet (and the character specific one has nothing for several characters) but I'll try to add to it as I think of things. Alternately if you think of something good bother me about it on steam or on these forums and I'll add it in there.

Hey, I'm recently back on the fighting game scene and picked up skullgirls.

I really like big band, but I'm having trouble getting the H Beat extend > j.lp > j.mp > s.mk string consistently. I've seen it done on youtube but Im still not sure why I sometimes mess up the s.mk. Is there a tip somebody could give me? I tried delaying the j.lp and/or the j.mp but I'm still inconsistent.

I really like big band, but I'm having trouble getting the H Beat extend > j.lp > j.mp > s.mk string consistently. I've seen it done on youtube but Im still not sure why I sometimes mess up the s.mk. Is there a tip somebody could give me? I tried delaying the j.lp and/or the j.mp but I'm still inconsistent.
I usually see H Beat Extend ^ j.LK(3) (delay) j.MK v s.MK at that part of a Big Band combo, not j.LP j.MP.

You should be doing j.LK j.MK, not j.MP, pretty sure that is your problem.

You still want to delay the j.MK quite a bit, the hitstun on j.LK is likely a lot longer than you think.

You should be doing j.LK j.MK, not j.MP, pretty sure that is your problem.

You still want to delay the j.MK quite a bit, the hitstun on j.LK is likely a lot longer than you think.
It works with j.MP too, its just harder. I should make a note that you can replace the j.MPs with j.MKs to make the combo easier since the j.MP stuff is maybe 200 more damage for a lot more work.

I see, I actually meant J.lk > J.mp. not j.lp

After trying J.mk, it seems a lot easier, thanks!

Big Band is a bit hard to use, to defeat Marie.
I disagree. I feel like Big Band just manhandles her. Just crouch in front of her and do c.HP/c.HK whenever you get an opening. c.HP into L_Knuckles if you have time. M/H_Knuckles if you need to get in... And don't ever use Blockbuster.

I made another thing.
Note - specifically during parry recovery you do not have to worry about parrying high or low, so Death Crawl can be a lot easier, one high parry then a bunch of lows so you don't have to worry about side switch.

Reactions: OldOnyxBones