• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

One Big Night! One Big Show! One Big Man! One Big Band! General Discussion

Another advantage of cr.HP over Cymbals is that if you are sexy you can EBrake off it into a full combo, rather than being limited like after Cymbals.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
... Cymbal clash has one of the biggest disjointed hitboxes in the entire game.

So... Things that iv seen as far as making BB safer as well as general synergies:

BB L giant step with parasoul lp shot assist is safe on block, and converts to full combo on hit easily, and allows pressure on block as well.

Cr.hp plus lp tear is safe on block and converts into stuff.
Cymbal clash plus lp tear is safe on block, but is hard to convert though it is possible to sneak a rush punch in i think.

Cr.hp plus lp tear xx e brake is great pressure on block and hit confirm on hit.

Parasoul on point with BB beat extend: pillar plus beat extend l gives para a meterless conversion on hit and seems safe on block... Though it might not be. Excellent synergy either way. These 2 characters work very well for each other whether BB goes hp brass or l beat extend... Para uses each really well. And BB uses tearshots well and they have good dhc synergy.

Reactions: -ÆON-
Another advantage of cr.HP over Cymbals is that if you are sexy you can EBrake off it into a full combo, rather than being limited like after Cymbals.
you can convert cymbals into a combo sometimes tho

you can convert cymbals into a combo sometimes tho
I can believe that it's easier to do off c.HP since c.HP is special cancellable, you can just go right into the E-Brake. I'm gonna try it out next time I get a chance to do training mode.

Here's something stupid: after a ground throw you can link a tiger knee Tympani Drive and it will combo. Tested on Bella and Squigly. No idea how this would be useful at all, but it's neat that you can do it!

Well, Tympani does more damage than SSJ when scaled but still adds no undizzy, plus you can combo after it...

Good point. Maybe it ends up being more damage to start the combo with Tympani Drive than to end it with SSJ, since it's already scaled from the throw. Even if it's not it lets you spend 2 bars in one combo which could be useful if you have a lot of meter to burn. I should play around with it more.

Reactions: Tomo009
Speaking of starting combos with tympany, if you have a taunt you can use it immediately after near-corner air throw to preserve otg and do pretty good damage. If undizzy is full you can just link straight into a-train for that nice sliding knockdown.

Here's something you may want to know if you play Big Band with Peacock:

@mcpeanuts
Something that seems to help is if you do
HP item xx Argus, hold another P along with HP and do SSJ with QCT+release the buttons
you will get an item drop in there which tends to help make it work, since the item will hit and keep them more in place if the little lasers were going to whiff past them (which is how it drops).

Obviously you can't do that if you're in the middle of another special move, but as a confirm it can help.

Why are Argus' projectiles random anyways? Has Mike ever explained that?

EDIT: Oh hai

Here's something you may want to know if you play Big Band with Peacock:

You have to visually confirm lasers are going to keep them in hitstun the whole time, it is difficult to do consistently, but you basically want to DHC just as Peacock fires a laser or else there might be a gap big enough for them to recover.

I labbed it quite a lot when I was playing a point Peacock team.

You have to visually confirm lasers are going to keep them in hitstun the whole time, it is difficult to do consistently, but you basically want to DHC just as Peacock fires a laser or else there might be a gap big enough for them to recover.

I labbed it quite a lot when I was playing a point Peacock team.
Thanks, I just tried this out and it totally does work. It's a little difficult to react right as one of the little lasers fires but it's definitely doable with practice.

I would have thought that was common knowledge.... Same thing happens with argus xx bikes... Sometimes they hit, sometimes they dont.

Hate to bring back the dead but about painwheel assist for big band. I was thinking of using pinion dash or mp nails to cover big bands approach. I don't have any reliable match experience in this game due to lack of internet right now so i was hoping for some suggestions on what to use with painwheel (mostly because it seems this question was never really answered)

Hate to bring back the dead but about painwheel assist for big band. I was thinking of using pinion dash or mp nails to cover big bands approach. I don't have any reliable match experience in this game due to lack of internet right now so i was hoping for some suggestions on what to use with painwheel (mostly because it seems this question was never really answered)
Those are probably your best options. c.MP is also still good. Try them out and see which one you like the most :)

I think it really comes down to your play style more than anything, and what helps you most.

I use L Pinion Dash because it really helps my neutral game, I've seen people use M Pinion Dash too because it launches the opponent forward, so BB can scoop them up using A-Train, or continue to combo if you're close to the corner by using MP brass, or a normal if you can reach.

of course cr.MP is great too for the lockdown, and Nails can be used for some cover/make moves safe.

I also like Pinion Dash ( and this should also be useful for Nails, in theory ) because I can use my Macro button to do a special + call asist, I've found that using BB and trying to do a rush punch using the Macro can be really neat. You'll call PW assist, and BB will either Rush Punch xx E. brake or just go straight into the rush punch. If you do it raw, meaning NOT in a combo, you'll get the E.brake + assist, but if you do it mid-combo you'll hit the rush punch and the assist will come out. Depending on what buttons your macros are bound to, it can be really useful.

Ty guys. I have cerecopter for lockdown so I'll probably go with pinion dash.

Ty guys. I have cerecopter for lockdown so I'll probably go with pinion dash.
I can agree with this. Big Band's character design focuses on patience and punishes, but his ability to poke in the neutral game is a bit limited / risky. He benefits a lot more from neutral zone assists like Napalm Shot / Drag 'n Bite / Lock 'n Load than he does from lockdown / mixup assists.

You open up Big Band's poking game a bit with a good neutral assist. You can use M Pinion Dash assist to make M Brass Knuckles advantageous on block, or pair it with j.HK to get a really weird aerial poke that's surprisingly hard to deal with.

That just made me thing of something. Would it possible to use j.hk's tech to cross up? I'm sure it'll be impractical as hell but with the right assist you never know.

That just made me thing of something. Would it possible to use j.hk's tech to cross up? I'm sure it'll be impractical as hell but with the right assist you never know.
Oh yeah, I do this all the time with Drag 'n Bite. You can jump and hit assist + j.HK, and tech forward through a blocking opponent. Depending on how deep you perform the j.HK and whether you delay the forward tech, you may or may not cross them up, which is pretty confusing. You can do this with Cerecopter, but it won't reach max-distance j.HK, and since it draws your opponent in, you'll always cross up with a forward tech. M Pinion Dash always connects after j.HK, but only gives you enough advantage to get to the invulnerable tech.

I like M pinion dash

safe brass is fun too

Oh yeah, I do this all the time with Drag 'n Bite. You can jump and hit assist + j.HK, and tech forward through a blocking opponent. Depending on how deep you perform the j.HK and whether you delay the forward tech, you may or may not cross them up, which is pretty confusing.
Yaya does this to me all the time and it always works because he's a big stupid nerd who's only like the 57th best Squigly

Reactions: Emuchu
How and when to use Hairball as an assist? Up until now, I've rarely ever picked it as an assist and I used Updo most of the time. I saw somebody say that's the best assist Filia can offer to Band because it gives him another mixup option and helps him in the neutral game, which is what he needs instead of another reversal (and because Fil's other assists seemingly aren't worth a mention). Problem is since I've never used it much, I don't really know what to do after using the ball, as most of the time it pushes my opponents too far away from me to do anything and I can't seem to catch em unless they are in the corner. I thought about using Giant Step on the last couple of frames if they block the ball, but I'm not sure about it.

I'd imagine you use it like pinion dash. During your block string, call out the assist, and then mix them up.

i need to try that crossing up wiith j.HK thing i imagine it would be super good with lock n load assist.

I mentioned in the combo thread that j.MK is Big Band's best normal in terms of damage to undizzy ratio at full scaling, to elaborate here's a list of most of his moves and how much damage they do at full scaling:

Big Band minimum damage

Light:
s.LP: 120
c.LP: 150

s.LK: 120
c.LK: 65

j.LP: 80
j.LK: 120

Medium:
s.MP: 140
c.MP: 250

s.MK: 250 (120+130)
c.MK: 150

j.MP: 130
j.MK: 360 (80 + 280)

Heavy:
s.HP: 190
c.HP: 190

s.HK: 190
c.HK: 330

j.HP: 180
j.HK: 330

Special:
HP Beat Extend: 600
HK Giant Step: 190
HK Cymbal: 240
MP Knuckle: 357
HP Knuckle: 481
MK A-train: 435
HK A-train: 535

Super:
SSJ: 992 (Raw: 3812)
SSJ (Taunt): 2252 (Raw: 5286)
Timpani: 1155
Timpani (Taunt): 2475
Level 3 (Corner): 3242
Level 3: 4378
(Total Level 3 damage may vary against different characters)
Level 5: 6875

Feel free to correct me if I got something wrong

How's s.MP (chained) with 5 bars of meter tho?

Thanks for putting this data together zeknife! This should be helpful when figuring how how to maximize combo damage.

What is L A-Train at max scaling, though

Like if you used an assist that causes a stagger in order to combo into it

Yes I am really going to make you test this

Can A-Train catch people up backing at the very start of the round?

Yep. Pretty risky though, if they don't upback and they're not asleep they're gonna punish the whiff A-Train. I like it as a round opener against Peacocks though. Peacock isn't going to punish a whiff A-Train very hard and Peacocks always do upback j.HK at the start of the round.

Yep. Pretty risky though, if they don't upback and they're not asleep they're gonna punish the whiff A-Train. I like it as a round opener against Peacocks though. Peacock isn't going to punish a whiff A-Train very hard and Peacocks always do upback j.HK at the start of the round.
It can catch up-forward + block, but round start up-back makes enough distance that a-train does not connect until they stop ascending. Haven't checked if it's different against wider characters, but Peacock can block it for sure.

It can catch up-forward + block, but round start up-back makes enough distance that a-train does not connect until they stop ascending. Haven't checked if it's different against wider characters, but Peacock can block it for sure.
Hm, really. I guess every Peacock I play just tries to push something.

It isn't low dude.

chances are it caught you up backing (I forget if it catches pre jump or something)

EDIT: Wow I got called nerd by a nerd. What is this world?

oh thats true

but why does it have the low hit animation then? thats just confusing

Because it looks nicer, I assume? It hits from a low point on Big Band's character and has a vacuum effect, so it would look silly if it knocked the opponent back while simultaneously sucking them in.

The best way to check if a move is a low/mid/high is training mode, of course. All sorts of colorful hitboxes to help you!