• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[POLL] Are you looking forward to the beta changes?

Are you looking forward to the beta changes?

• Yes

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • No, I prefer MDE (Squigly Patch)

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • No and I don't prefer MDE

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don't care. I will continue playing/avoiding the game the same amount either way.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Other (Elaborate in a post)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

Groovy
Reaction score
More time has passed since Mike_Z's initial thread and I'm sure some of your opinions have changed within that time as you play around with the changes to IPS/Undizzy via Endless Beta. With the announcement of these changes coming into the game "some time" after NEC and the locking of the old thread, I figure there are still people who would like to discuss the topic and need a thread for it.

Why did you make this thread!?

[Discussion is] going to happen, I'd rather it be in one thread instead of slipping into others or people feeling there's things they can't talk about and discouraged.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care as long as the game keeps moving forward and more content and characters arrive I could care less about the game changes, if I can hit the opponent do specials or choose alt palettes then I don't care.

While I don't mind the changes, I'm not all that excited for them.

Reactions: Candra Software
Real talk-- If all you care about is combos, you can still do the same stupid high damage for low meter bullshit in the Big Band patch: http://www.twitch.tv/negus_eyoel/b/482885003

But, hey, the new system is way too strict and will kill creativity and damage and the game!

Nah, not looking forward to it.

Big Band is nice tho. Play the fucking horn.

I'm 100% cool with it. Long combos are still there in the form of rewards for Counter Hits and punishes. Combos are slightly shorter but not in a way that would disrupt the flow too much. Undizzy is set in a way that combo paths for the new optimal (so far) damage (around 7k+ with 1 meter) are still varied. Early resets net more rewards than late ones, which is kinda meh, but it's not the end of the world.

For the time being I'm okay with the changes. I hope they'll be for the best, I'll adapt to them.

The only update that has made me have to change any combos of mine was the Slightly Better Edition patch, so I generally like these updates.

Do we really want to restart this debate? I think it pretty much ran its course last time.
It's going to happen, I'd rather it be in one thread instead of slipping into others or people feeling there's things they can't talk about and discouraged.

4399274+_b41c8f48001780fadea29d977b086592.jpg

Oh look, another thread with people who have no idea what neutral game even means praising the new changes because they "improve the neutral game".

=/

Reactions: Icky
To be fair, people talk about shit they have no clue about all the time, on the internet and in real life. So...

Reactions: Icky
I mean I just want to talk shit and waste time until after NEC when POS edition comes out.

Reactions: scrubbyscum999
I'd prefer MDE, but when we get this I hope it stays consistent for more than three months.

To be fair, people talk about shit they have no clue about all the time, on the internet and in real life. So...

tumblr_mbj0lsPYdN1qjqo0h.gif

Ima still scum on you lames man.

#stunting

I've been on a bus for 5 hours, can't ya tell?

Regardless of what happens, if you can't adapt to the new game and continue to bitch and want it changed, you'll never get good. You'll be in an endless cycle of "i'm losing can we please get rid of the reason as to why I think i'm losing?"

Prefer Beta version over MDE personally. Beta is not like some magic cure to make low level players lose less often, but progress is happening in making the game more fun imo with the assist scaling (not at my ideal values, but fine its a compromise), Counter Hits, and Undizzy changes. Downs get a special mention too despite how rare 1 vs 1 is :(

Not gonna elaborate too much on this again since we all had this dance before in the other thread. People from either side of the fence on this debate won't see "the light" no matter how hard someone tries to shove their ideology down other peoples throats. Gotta respect their opinions even if you don't personally agree with them.

Huge s/o to NEC being the first and last major to have retail MDE by the way.

That says something.

If you mention any of those Cali tournaments you'll catch hands.

Reactions: winnie
Also on that note, whatever happens happens. Yeah cool fine i'm not flaccid.

Can we PLEASE just stick with one version for awhile? Without worrying about a new build? I'll take MDE2 or whatever the fuck yall gonna call it but can we keep it at that?

Didn't sign up for MK9.

Also on that note, whatever happens happens. Yeah cool fine i'm not flaccid.

Can we PLEASE just stick with one version for awhile? Without worrying about a new build? I'll take MDE2 or whatever the fuck yall gonna call it but can we keep it at that?

Didn't sign up for MK9.
MK9 being my main game, I agree with you.

To the very nice gentlemen who just say I "don't know shit", please tell me what I should know about neutral game in the beta.

By the way, I never saw a player on quick match or in a lobby in the beta. If everybody's playing in training mode, I think this is not the only way to try the beta.

It's been tried online trust me, I was there. *shudders* I still got wrecked just as bad too.

I can't say this change affects me at all most of my combos are really lame and short anyhow.

Can we PLEASE just stick with one version for awhile?
Yeah, this too. I don't care about the changes so much, but it is kinda crazy. We're basically getting a new set of combo rules to memorize every character, on top of all the actual changes to characters that you have to keep up with. It's not that big a deal I guess when you're following it closely, but I'm sure it is a problem for many people who don't. I propose waiting until all the IGG stuff is done (where's my female announcer) before any more big changes, or maybe just wait until SG2.

Last edited:
More time has passed since Mike_Z's initial thread and I'm sure some of your opinions have changed within that time
In a day and a half?

I mean I just want to talk shit and waste time until after NEC when POS edition comes out.
Finally, a game for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
You'll be in an endless cycle of "i'm losing can we please get rid of the reason as to why I think i'm losing?"
I'm in an endless cycle of "I'm winning can we please get rid of the reason as to why I think I'm winning?"

So, intentionally keep BB/Eliza/Fortune away from the game even though they're finished characters?

In a day and a half?

Finally, a game for me!
Pretty sure most of the votes from that thread happened closer to when it opened than when it closed.

Last edited:
Idk, I'm still undecided.

My primary problems with the beta is the whole "you shall stop your combo now and give your opponent a chance to break out" thing going on with the undizzy... Just feels like a policeman.. It's weird. I wouldn't feel this way if the same combos were always available, but the fact that undizzy changes the length of combos done one after the other upsets me highly. I'd rather no decay... But meh.

My other primary problem is once again the unforeseen ramifications of the system:

Just like I hypothesized that the throw nerf would nerf painwheel (or at least "my" painwheel more than it nerfs other certain other characters such as peacock, fortune, parasoul etc etc etc) I kinda see this beta patch with reducing or homogenizing damage to where most characters are doing 7-7.5k a combo as a nerf for painwheel as well since she is supposed to have higher than average damage output.

But that's why I'm undecided. I don't know if she really does so little damage with respect to the rest of the cast, and I don't know if everyone's average damage is truly at that number.

One of the things I agree with though is @dekillsage utterance that the after nec version be called pos edition... I found that funny.

Idk what the future holds for sg... But much of what I considered fun in the older versions has been taken out. Idk if there will be enough game for me left to have fun with, or, a better way to put it... I don't know if I will learn new tricks that I found to be as satisfying as doing half life combos into reset into dead character, or the high stakes feel of being combod and constantly being on the lookout for the reset from any position, and when predicting a reset/reacting correctly, the awesome feeling that I got from doing said things.

And funnily enough I'm actually somewhat scared of playing the beta version extensively, since I feel that it will force more neutral situations and I feel that pw doesn't necessarily excel at that as much as other characters.

I also feel like all the resets that the beta version will force will make resets stupid anticlimactic... And I'm talking seriously boring to see. I already got a taste of that from khaos versus blandaid... That didn't look like a game I wanted to play much at all.

But I digress, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't at least somewhat hyped to try out a new system and find its innermost quirks that won't become known until well into its lifespan... I just don't know if I will be hyped for those quirks... Or ho hummed by them.

But yeah I agree with ken. Let the game stay as it becomes, barring serious balance issues between the cast or bugs/glitches.

Learning all this new stuff all the time has taken its toll and asses just need to start getting kicked again rather than all this damn lab stuff/experiments that may never see the light of day.

Having said that, yeah I liked sde combo lengths if dhc and tag didn't allow full next character ips loops.
Also, I'm a fan of loops and always have been...I don't see where this aesthetic that loops are boring/easy/ugly come from... But it reeks in my mind when we have had loops in most fighting games for years.

It's like someone came out and said that cancels were ugly cause they canceled the natural pretty animations of the moves being portrayed... I mean...

Sigh.

So, intentionally keep BB/Eliza/Fortune away from the game even though they're finished characters?

Nonono, add them thats fine, but why does the whole gotdang moon and sea and stars have to change just because of a new character?

Just throw the bitches into the ring

Some people will hate it, some people will love it, but ultimately everyone who takes the game seriously will adapt. SDE and MDE were both extremely fun to me personally, and the beta less fun so far. However, counter hits still allow me to do my MDE-length combos off of good punishes and the undizzy bar + fast as hell deterioration has me worrying less about "randomly" triggering a burst, so I still enjoy the beta. But yeah, pleeeeease at least let this update stay for at least a year. We have the beta if we want to mess around with stuff and provide a better balanced game in the future.

If combos get any shorter in later updates then people are getting slapped in the mouth, though. (And I still say that meter gain may need to be looked at since the person being hit gains a ton of meter, even when being reset constantly)

Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
Status
Not open for further replies.