• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[POLL] Are you looking forward to the beta changes?

Are you looking forward to the beta changes?

• Yes

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • No, I prefer MDE (Squigly Patch)

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • No and I don't prefer MDE

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don't care. I will continue playing/avoiding the game the same amount either way.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Other (Elaborate in a post)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not good - the person getting slapped with the combo is getting equal meter rewards. That's pretty dumb.

Getting that much meter for getting hit on 3-4 different occasions is dumb. If I had used super the opponent would've built another 50% bar. The meter gain is fine when you're hitting opponents with your optimized BnB, but for getting reset over and over where they can mash out a safe DHC, get hit again, and then get the meter to do it again, then... no.

...But if you're on the receiving end of such combos and resets... Wouldn't you prefer gaining all that Dramatic Tension?

...But if you're on the receiving end of such combos and resets... Wouldn't you prefer gaining all that Dramatic Tension?
Of course I would, but that doesn't mean that it should happen. I'm not saying that this is like a comeback mechanic by any means, but why should I be getting a reward for blocking incorrectly? I like how momentum flows in this game, but with resets becoming more common it makes sense for opponents to not be able to throw out safe DHCs so often.

Ultimately, this doesn't bother me all that much, and I may or may not be over exaggerating a bit, but I still think the person getting attacked should be getting a little less meter when getting hit by short combos.

I like the idea of people having to think more about how they manage their meter.

Edit: I don't know how meter gain works in Marvel 2, so if the meter gain in that is similar to doing short combos in the beta, lemme know.

Last edited:
The attacker always gets more meter because in MvC2 you get meter for throwing out normals.

I personally don't have a problem with how meter gain works.

I would like to see a complete revisiting of meter gain and balance.

Some characters get it far faster than others without any reason I can see for it.

And I agree with Khaos, with a more reset heavy game, there is little reason to let them build up enough meter to mash out an escape.

Getting that much meter for getting hit on 3-4 different occasions is dumb. If I had used super the opponent would've built another 50% bar. The meter gain is fine when you're hitting opponents with your optimized BnB, but for getting reset over and over where they can mash out a safe DHC, get hit again, and then get the meter to do it again, then... no.

As fortune your opponent got reset 3 times and built only a tiny bit over ONE bar. Those combos all had multiple heavies in it, like I'd imagine I would build at least ONE bar if I where to get hit by stuff like that. As filia your opponent built as much as I expected him to build, until you decided to throw which did multiple hits itself, and then you did a filia combo which did multiple hits as well because of her multi hitting moves. Like those combos are "short" but until what point does a combo stop being short? I'd like them to stop being short the second you do 2 hp's in a row or after you throw me with Feelia

Also you have to realize that your opponent didn't build a 2nd meter after you decided to go for a burst bait with fortune, or until your THIRD reset with filia. Like I don't understand where he could have mashed out a safe DHC from the start when he didn't gain that option until they where about to die or could have potentially died. Like your opponent getting ONE meter doesn't make them not have to think about managing meter. They have to make a freaking comeback because their character is dead. Those meters, especially in the next build, aren't even going to kill you. They have to do resets too, or hit you multiple times with optimized combos which isn't great because of how undizzy currently works(idk if this is different in pos edition)

I think the attacker is still getting the better end of the deal (meter conversation). If you consider it like money, and meter was dollars and health was Yen, would you agree to trade 5 dollars and 500 yen for 5 dollars? The attackee is giving the 500 yen (losing health/character) on top of the 5 dollars (giving you meter), while in return they get 5 dollars (as much meter as you got). No matter how you look at it, the attacker is getting the better end of the deal. And there are ways to safely reset people who you know can and may mash super, so if they go for it then they forfeit 2 dollars that they got and give you a little more Yen.

Skullgirls Economy. Fuck yeah.

Cash $$$

TBH the only time its scary to reset people is if they have an air super with hitstop, and even then its not that hard to deal with especially in a metagame where people usually have a dp assist.

Like Bella, Double, Parasoul, squigly and Peacock can't do **** about being tossed in the air and being made guess. But fortune sure does, and feelia kinda does, and val has scalpels as a reversal too.

Also I just wanted to throw this out there because Idk if people have realized this yet, but if you are STILL trying to do a ground throw reset on cerebella even though that shit didn't even ****ing work in SDE (yes sde the most skillful version right?) then get mad because of reversal dynamo idk what to tell you.

Like Bella, Double, Parasoul, squigly and Peacock can't do **** about being tossed in the air and being made guess. But fortune sure does, and feelia kinda does, and val has scalpels as a reversal too.
Well, characters with air supers just force the attacker to be more creative. There are still ways to reset them in such a way that their air super fails miserably. There's ones for Fortune and Filia I know, but I can't remember if I had any for Val.

As fortune your opponent got reset 3 times and built only a tiny bit over ONE bar. Those combos all had multiple heavies in it, like I'd imagine I would build at least ONE bar if I where to get hit by stuff like that. As filia your opponent built as much as I expected him to build, until you decided to throw which did multiple hits itself, and then you did a filia combo which did multiple hits as well because of her multi hitting moves. Like those combos are "short" but until what point does a combo stop being short? I'd like them to stop being short the second you do 2 hp's in a row or after you throw me with Feelia

Also you have to realize that your opponent didn't build a 2nd meter after you decided to go for a burst bait with fortune, or until your THIRD reset with filia. Like I don't understand where he could have mashed out a safe DHC from the start when he didn't gain that option until they where about to die or could have potentially died. Like your opponent getting ONE meter doesn't make them not have to think about managing meter. They have to make a freaking comeback because their character is dead. Those meters, especially in the next build, aren't even going to kill you. They have to do resets too, or hit you multiple times with optimized combos which isn't great because of how undizzy currently works(idk if this is different in pos edition)
Fair enough.

I feel like beta patch will lead to less resets and more just finishing up a 50% combo ending with a burst bait.

I feel like beta patch will lead to less resets and more just finishing up a 50% combo ending with a burst bait.
sooo, it'll lead to people doing burst bait resets.

saying that this is like a comeback mechanic by any means, but why should I be getting a reward for blocking incorrectly?
You're not. You're still getting your face kicked in. This just makes it less severe.

Think of it like this: The meter gain is a way to balance the severity of being on the receiving end of offense.

In theory, we can make this game Bushido Blade where one hit is a KO. That would be silly though, if offense is too strong the game turns into a heavily momentum based fighter where the first hit decides the match and the rest of the game is perfunctory. You can argue that mechanic based on avoid this is "rewarding a player for doing something wrong."

The idea, I believe, is that the meter gain is there to give the opponent a shot at fighting back. Especially with a game such heavy offense, some kind of mechanic that gives you options to get out of resets/pressure/oki is necessary, and you need to have a way to do it.

Being combo'ed is still a net loss, so you're not being rewarded for bad play. Rather, the meter you build is meant to offset some of the pain to prevent being hit from being too punishing in such a way that can allow for counter play.

I don't think the defender needs substantial nerfs in this game, really
Offense in SG is not exactly weak, and there's already only a very small 'reward' for blocking.

I'd like a general meter nerf across the board though, as currently it's not really a resource and more of a "It's always there".
Can't really recall the last time I thought "Damn, I'd like to have a meter right now".
The worst that sometimes happens is that I only have 1.9 meter and can't DHC after my super

I think this should go into a different thread altogether, though.

My opponent could have all the meter in the world in exchange for eating a combo and being that much closer to losing the match. Doesn't make a difference if he/she can't use said meter gains efficiently.

Getting KOed! kind of prevents the opponent from using that surplus meter so IMO a small price to pay for a kind of 'comeback mechanic' that offers no guarantee to act like a true artificial comeback mechanic.

In the end your main objective is reducing opponent team health to absolute zero and meter management is a secondary task.

This is going off-topic for this thread so it would be more appropriate if this current conversation was continued in an appropriate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.