• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[POLL] Are you looking forward to the beta changes?

Are you looking forward to the beta changes?

• Yes

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • No, I prefer MDE (Squigly Patch)

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • No and I don't prefer MDE

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don't care. I will continue playing/avoiding the game the same amount either way.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Other (Elaborate in a post)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I excited for a huge combo system overhaul slightly over 3 months after we just got a huge combo system overhaul and we're getting it with even less actual test time?

No.

Also on that note, whatever happens happens. Yeah cool fine i'm not flaccid.

Can we PLEASE just stick with one version for awhile? Without worrying about a new build? I'll take MDE2 or whatever the fuck yall gonna call it but can we keep it at that?

Didn't sign up for MK9.

We've been playing MDE for almost 4 months now, 3 months without any major changes. That's not exactly fast paced in my books.

We've been playing MDE for almost 4 months now, 3 months without any major changes. That's not exactly fast paced in my books.

Especially given that they largely coincide with new characters... which virtually begs for a relook at balance and gameplay mechanics.

@Dime_x

Pray for Painwheel buffs :P

3 months gives the game no time to grow or develop. We haven't even had time for tournaments outside of...

-EVO Side Tournament with the game not even out to the public.
-Animayhem
-SG EXPO
-NEC

Thats ridiculous, shawty we need more time imo, but the arguments pointless because were getting the new game anyway... I just hope the new one lasts WAAAY longer.

I have been playing the game for exactly 0 days and Im not too happy about changes when I cant even play the version currently out without leaving my house.

@keninblack

It seems reasonable that even in 3 months that combos were pushing a limit that was undesirable. What would "wait and see" do other than make us see that they are even more undesirable.

But yes, moar tourneys please.

Reactions: blufang
I remember the days when patching a game meant balancing the characters and large game changing features where used in making a new game entirely. I liked those days...
Me too. Only because someone else was paying for them.

Free updates please!

I don't mean to be a jerk but for almost a year I was complaining about SSF4 not getting a PC port, I ended up having to play Vanilla SF4 until Arcade Edition FINALLY got a PC port (and then got the 2012 patch several months late as well).

The only thing I got when I brought it up was people telling me to shut up and get a console, so I'm not feeling much sympathy now that the roles are reversed.

I don't mean to be a jerk but for almost a year I was complaining about SSF4 not getting a PC port, I ended up having to play Vanilla SF4 until Arcade Edition FINALLY got a PC port (and then got the 2012 patch several months late as well).

The only thing I got when I brought it up was people telling me to shut up and get a console, so I'm not feeling much sympathy now that the roles are reversed.

Still waiting on GG... I'll hold my breath.

Reactions: Calypsx

Where do you live? Like unless sf4 was completely dead in your region (like sg is everywhere on the planet) you could have just left your house to play. I dunnooooooooo

Reactions: mcpeanuts
How many games get a huge system update less than 6 months after release? How many of said updates have roughly a month of playtesting?

Has anyone come up with a new name for this version yet?

How many games get a huge system update less than 6 months after release? How many of said updates have roughly a month of playtesting?

Try any competitive game that's PC exclusive.

We have no idea how much playtesting patches for other games get but I'll bet they aren't worth 1 month of public beta testing.

My primary problems with the beta is the whole "you shall stop your combo now and give your opponent a chance to break out" thing going on with the undizzy... Just feels like a policeman.. It's weird. I wouldn't feel this way if the same combos were always available, but the fact that undizzy changes the length of combos done one after the other upsets me highly. I'd rather no decay... But meh.
You are aware that the maximum time between combos has been reduced, right? This mysterious Undizzy boogeyman used to take 90f to go from maximum to 0, and now it takes 37. Let's not even mention how counter-hits makes this even faster, or how you can no longer green spark before Combo Stage 5.

If making the decay OVER TWICE AS FAST is somehow worse to you than the current game, then I have no idea what to tell you.

Reactions: blufang
You are aware that the maximum time between combos has been reduced, right? This mysterious Undizzy boogeyman used to take 90f to go from maximum to 0, and now it takes 37. Let's not even mention how counter-hits makes this even faster, or how you can no longer green spark before Combo Stage 5.

If making the decay OVER TWICE AS FAST is somehow worse to you than the current game, then I have no idea what to tell you.
Well, in theory, this version has functionally unlimited maximum time between combos because undizzy starts counting down from where it was. in MDE it started counting down from 350 no matter what. I don't think anyone CAN make it go high enough to make the time that much longer, but you know, the more you know.

We have no idea how much playtesting patches for other games get but I'll bet they aren't worth 1 month of public beta testing.
''

I think he meant fighting games. Also, again RTS's and fighting games are two different beasts.

Well, in theory, this version has functionally unlimited maximum time between combos because undizzy starts counting down from where it was. in MDE it started counting down from 350 no matter what. I don't think anyone CAN make it go high enough to make the time that much longer, but you know, the more you know.
The highest unburstable drama value of the new system is 235+an entire magic series+special, which only Peacock can do and only grounded. That means the effective cap is 385. At 10 combo points/frame, that deteriorates to 0 in 38.5 frames. The current game goes down in 87.5 frames or 90 frames, depending on when you ask Mike. (edit: It's actually 3 per frame in MDE! Holy fuck!)

If we're talking burstable numbers, sure, you could take that shit to a million combo points or whatever! But since the opponent isn't fucking bursting, who gives a shit what the number is?

Last edited:
The highest unburstable drama value of the new system is 235+an entire magic series+special, which only Peacock can do and only grounded. That means the effective cap is 385. At 10 combo points/frame, that deteriorates to 0 in 38.5 frames. The current game goes down in 87.5 frames or 90 frames, depending on when you ask Mike.

If we're talking burstable numbers, sure, you could take that shit to a million combo points or whatever! But since the opponent isn't fucking bursting, who gives a shit what the number is?
Well that makes sense. One thing though, I thought undizzy was 8 per frame not 10. At least that's what the last patch notes I looked at said. I know that the time between combos would still be shorter with 8 frames per second deterioration, but I'd still like to know which is correct between 8 and 10.

Well that makes sense. One thing though, I thought undizzy was 8 per frame not 10. At least that's what the last patch notes I looked at said. I know that the time between combos would still be shorter with 8 frames per second deterioration, but I'd still like to know which is correct between 8 and 10.
Apparently I'm going crazy. It's 8/f in the Beta, 3/f in MDE, and MDE caps Drama instead of time.

So, maximum time in the Beta to deteriorate fully is 48.125 frames.
Maximum time in MDE to deteriorate fully is 116.666... frames.

So instead of my initial estimate that it takes 44% the time it takes to reach 0, it's actually 42% of the time it takes to reach 0. MY POOR RESETS ARE COMPLETELY NERFED

Apparently I'm going crazy. It's 8/f in the Beta, 3/f in MDE, and MDE caps Drama instead of time.

So, maximum time in the Beta to deteriorate fully is 48.125 frames.
Maximum time in MDE to deteriorate fully is 116.666... frames.

So instead of my initial estimate that it takes 44% the time it takes to reach 0, it's actually 42% of the time it takes to reach 0. MY POOR RESETS ARE COMPLETELY NERFED
Actually, now that I think about it, who takes the undizzy all the way up then attempts a reset anyway.

Also in unrelated news, I got together with some friends and we had a lot of matches on a friends computer. I can pretty confidently say I like the beta more than I initially thought I would. I'm not entirely sure on if I like it more than MDE though.

Why was this thread created? Everyone has said their piece, and said it a hundred times. This topic was exhausted in the poll weather to put the beta changes in the real game. It is going in the real game, this poll is pointless, I don't know if it is a last ditch attempt for Mike Z to change his mind...but this thread is wasteful.

Reactions: Candra Software

I'm talking about fighting games, not the latest starcraft update.

Now I need to know, what's the purpose of this update? To bring in new players? Because no new players are going to come in. And even if they do, they'll still leave most likely for the same reason they left before (not wanting to level up). So is it just to shorten combos? That'd be fine, but why mess around with resets too? Do a combo into a reset and spend all your meter to (MAYBE) kill a character and then the next comes in and gets a free burst if you try to hit her. It's like a referee in football telling you to stop winning so good and slow down with the ball so the other team can catch up.

And here's where we get really personal in this. Yes, the majority voted to put the changes in, but how many of them REALLY should have a say in the matter? Because I'm pretty damn sure that if we left it to a complete democracy, Ryu's fireball would explode in his face after using it more than two times. Honestly, the beta's been toying around with the new ips and undizzy for like what? A month? Less? Compare that to how SDE and MDE were being played around with for months, and how MDE wasn't even final until like, a week before release if not less. But noooo, the new update is totally going to fix everything that's wrong with the game and it's going to end world hunger and Elvis and 2-Pac and Jimi Hendrix are all going to come back to life and Skullgirls will overtake Capcom's community. News flash: It's not going to happen. Sad but true.

Reactions: CaioLugon and Dime
That'd be fine, but why mess around with resets too? Do a combo into a reset and spend all your meter to (MAYBE) kill a character and then the next comes in and gets a free burst if you try to hit her. It's like a referee in football telling you to stop winning so good and slow down with the ball so the other team can catch up.

SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU IDIOTS SMOKING? ARE YOU ILLITERATE?

Now I need to know, what's the purpose of this update?

To make combos shorter, because the current length is obnoxious and slows down the flow of the game. All the extra stuff people talk about bringing in new players or making the game easier to play? Its just gravy.

How many of them should have a say in the matter? The only person who really matters, Mr. Mike Z, has already weighed in on the subject. He likes the changes or he wouldn't have started this experiment in the first place.

Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
Real fucking talk.

Mike has expressed exasperation as this community a shitload, lately. He's come close to just taking his hands off the game several times! I didn't really understand why until now; I underestimated how fucking stupid many of you are.

If you do 999 Undizzy to somebody by some miracle and kill a character in MDE, what happens when you touch the incoming character? If you meaty them, you get a green spark. If even a single goddamn frame goes by where you're not hitting them, nothing happens. Nothing happens because you can't accrue Undizzy before Combo Stage 5! They're stuck at 349 for 3-4 whole chains, during which you can do WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT.

Now, in Beta, the counter doesn't go down before deteriorating like it does in MDE. Oh no! What will happen if you accrue 999 Undizzy and touch somebody? NOTHING AGAIN. Because he listened to your relentless bitching and made it so you can't trigger green sparks before Combo Stage 5.

That's right. If your idea of a reset is to do a 9k BnB but do a meaty throw instead of the last hit, THE GAME WILL LET YOU. In fact, you can whip out 2 whole magic series before you even have to think about the evil Green Spark Boogeyman who's gonna referee your combos out of the game! Not only that, but it turns out that the current limit is more than enough to kill an opponent from 100% health 2v3 off a c.LK for just 2 fucking meters!

Even worse, as I've already stated 3 times in this shitfucking thread, the Beta changes allow you to perform longer combos followed by resets than you could before because the deterioration rate is so high that it's almost goddamn meaningless!

I swear to fucking Christ, you're trolling. I'm being trolled. You're just being contrarian and stirring up shit because you want a reaction. Here's your fucking reaction, you goddamn retards. The facts are in your favor. The new version of the game is here specifically to fellate you. Get fucked.

^uhhhhhhhh i don't think all salt in the post was necessary

getting back on topic though, not the biggest fan of it but hey, at least the game will be more entertaining to watch. personally i'm fine with more reset based but i prefer a single playerish type of game. i want it to be so that once you get hit, it'll be really hard to get out of the vortex, but that's probably not happening. regardless i will continue to play this game because mike has yet to add x factor and TACs, and i can play any character i want and build a team around them and win. although i HATE the idea of the rate that these patches are coming at. if eliza comes with this type of system change i wouldn't be surprised if i drop the game completely. i like my fighting games to take some time to grow and develop, kinda like how mike said at first he wanted to do with the game. but hey i guess he like messing around with the game too much.

^uhhhhhhhh i don't think all salt in the post was necessary

If I have a meltdown, then maybe my post will be entertaining enough for the idiots to read it.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
although i HATE the idea of the rate that these patches are coming at. if eliza comes with this type of system change i wouldn't be surprised if i drop the game completely.
I'm optimistic that it won't come to that. Plus I get the feeling Eliza's really going to need them to make her blood mechanic work with any degree of effectiveness, so it's better to get these changes out of the way now.

I been playing beta for quite a bit with some friends. I honestly can't see much difference between Beta and MDE. Getting a combo past 7150 is easy so you still 2 hit KO, or 1 hit + 2 resets. Less execution errors from intermediate players with easier combos. All neutrals and method of playing are exactly the same. Beginners will still die in 15 seconds. Only people it will affect negatively are those who already gotten used to their 350 combo and now need to trim it down. But I got a feeling they will adopt to it in like 3 days.

DP assist confirm now scale 90% + 150% initial hit damage, since if it actually hits it's probably a counter. I have yet to land a pillar confirm that resulted in 66% in a match. Pressure assist still does the block string like it's supposed to.

So yeah, doesn't matter to me either way. I think a lot of people will find out just how little difference it makes once it goes live.

Last edited:
If I have a meltdown, then maybe my post will be entertaining enough for the idiots to read it.

The only way it will be entertaining any idiots is if you read it and laugh at yourself.

The only way it will be entertaining any idiots is if you read it and laugh at yourself.

OOOOOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

Reactions: RAT__BABY
I think it's just a vocal minority that is ACTIVELY OPPOSED to the Beta changes, the majority of people I know who actually play the game instead of trawling forums all day are fine with it. I for one like the new combo length & incentive to reset frequently.

Also I am saddened by the lack of "git gud scrub" option in the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.