• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Realistically what do you think Skullgirls' life span is after the last DLC?

I made a video on this topic if anybody wants to check it out here it is
also one thing that we can hope for is a sequel. Now I don't expect lab 0 to get enough money for a sequel even after the last DLC is released but I can hope but they can work for a bigger publisher for example, Sony they seem to have some interest in the game allowing them to develop it for the ps4 and the Vita and it would be a really good PR thing to purchase a indie game and start funding it to become a big exclusive fighter like smash brothers (and later on Pokken) for the wii u and KI for xbox 1. So then the look like they like the indie scene more than other companies and more indie developers more to their console.

And one thing I want to touch on is the online I feel like until a big air dash fighter is ported over it is going to hurt sg and if it comes after the last dlc is released it could kill it.

Reactions: SScrux
In one of the largest metroplexes in the US, we can't even have proper tournaments for the game -- we can only have casual setups at tournaments -- because we can't get eight people to enter. There's a grand total of four Skullgirls players in the entire Dallas-Fort Worth area, one of whom I've never even seen in person.

Having no players exist around where you personally live seems like flimsy evidence to base the declaration of deadness on.
Also, hello, yes, I am a Skullgirls player from the DFW area, please tell me more about these tournaments/casual setups.

I've been hearing SG is a dead game for months. All the people I play daily must not be real.

Hell, I bet none of you are real.

And they say schizophrenia ain't fun.
Things are much worse on the PS3 version. There are still no lobbies and it takes such a long time to find a Quickmatch that I just gave up playing SG on the PS3. Don't have an Xbox 360, but I don't think it's any better. I don't even know if I should even bother playing the game on the PS4 or will most people still be on Steam?

Things are much worse on the PS3 version. There are still no lobbies and it takes such a long time to find a Quickmatch that I just gave up playing SG on the PS3. Don't have an Xbox 360, but I don't think it's any better. I don't even know if I should even bother playing the game on the PS4 or will most people still be on Steam?
Get the PC version it is the best one as you get constant updates and the Beta as well getting it on the PS4 would be nice since you can use your vita to play and train on the go.

Having no players exist around where you personally live seems like flimsy evidence to base the declaration of deadness on.
Also, hello, yes, I am a Skullgirls player from the DFW area, please tell me more about these tournaments/casual setups.
We (EDIT: "We" was @Krye , @Kit Ballard , and I) had a setup at Bar Fights in Arlington at the start of the month; where the fuck were you?

I can't predict how long the casual crowd will stay. They probably will still make fanart for as long as they still like the game.

The competitive scene on the other hand, I can see them start to dwindle by like 6 months to a year after the final patch is released. By that point, we'll be see the decreasing entries and ask/answer the same "Why is SG dying" question in like five threads with no (scientific) solution.

WARNING, LONG POST, SO HERE'S A TLDR: Local crazy man is rambling about the state of SG and how it could become better after some time.

I encourage everyone who still questions that to read St1ckBuG's LOOOOOONG post about the Blazblue community (regardless of your opinions on him): http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4292-the-bb-community-evo-netplay-and-the-fgc/

Long story short, in my opinion, we pretty much are facing in the same problem that Blazblue had/has. And will probably still face after the final patch drops...
>Some to most of the members are young, which can mean that they are either "broke college/high school students, too young to travel, or a combination of both."
>And probably don't have a car yet
>At worst, too comfortable with Netplay to care about tournaments (This is highly debatable, but I factored it here because it could be an unknown big problem)

The rest like Tournament support and others after that I can't speak for. But they aren't that important for this topic anyway IMO.

Now, you may have noticed I put "had" for Blazblue. Because after a while, I've noticed that more players started showing up to locals and majors when CP dropped (at least before this year's EVO). The reason is possibly after all its years, players have gotten decent jobs, are old/mature enough to travel, etc. So the scene kept growing because those players have stayed since they've started. If this community is still steady after the final patch, we could end up being in a time to make it bigger/better and gain a brighter future.

The point
: Half to most of us are not in a position yet to (consistently) go to tournaments/locals, or even create them ourselves. But we should do as much as we can to grow/support the scene. Like, @Lethalmind getting SG on TSB. I myself one day (somewhere within early 2015 hopefully) will try to build up a scene in my local gathering.

Anyways, encourage those curious about the game to try it out and help out some new players.

Last edited:
Get the PC version it is the best one as you get constant updates and the Beta as well getting it on the PS4 would be nice since you can use your vita to play and train on the go.
Ahem. Look at the Steam tag. I already have the PC version since the Beta came out in July last year.

EDIT: And I also used to organise online tournaments for European PC players.

We (EDIT: "We" was @Krye , @Kit Ballard , and I) had a setup at Bar Fights in Arlington at the start of the month; where the fuck were you?

YOU WERE IN FUCKING ARLINGTON, Jesus Christ I was living in Arlington till a couple months ago, I still go there all the time.
How the hell did I never hear about this I'm mad now.

I don't see it dying because no other good fighting games get released on PC.

That's just because you're from Africa or w/e. I play on ps3 a lot, it's much less active than PC but still a decent amount of strong players.

Oh goody, once we're done and I can finally go from having this be my full-time job with no time to play, to having it be a game I want to play and can finally invest time in, everyone will quit?
Well dang.

This is a depressing thread, because it assumes that how long YOU play the game is contingent on the opinion of someone who is not you, and who is not even quantifiable.
The game lasts as long as people want to keep playing it, in whatever capacity they enjoy.

I'm not even sure what "dead" means...MvC2 is dead and UGC can have 30-person tournaments for it. 3s is dead and there's a crowd for it at Super pretty often. KOF is supposedly alive and yet West Coast Warzone had 10 entrants. SG had more entrants at UFGT than KI did, and had 170 people for the side tournament at Evo 2014. Etc. True, we haven't gotten Evo's support and that drastically hurt the competitive community - look at what it did for BB and what happened afterward - but that's Evo's decision and we didn't have the, er, means to force it.

The more time you spend asking if it's dead, the more likely you are to convince yourself it is.

If my local scene is anything to go by, Skullgirls will continue to slowly trickle in new players over time, because it's cheap, has very accessible online play, and our steam group is constantly active in the group chat and help new players learn what's what.

A lot of new-school FG players (cough sf4 players cough) are super entitled about having a scene, where if there isn't already a scene of a game that exists then there is no point playing it. They don't understand that having a scene is the result of blood, sweat, and dedication, and a few core players staying strong over the years that can have new players gravitate around them.

YOU WERE IN FUCKING ARLINGTON, Jesus Christ I was living in Arlington till a couple months ago, I still go there all the time.
How the hell did I never hear about this I'm mad now.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/texasskullgirls/

This is pretty much the place to hear about anything SG related in TX. I don't know of anything being held in November, although if you live in the area, it probably wouldn't be hard for you to just say "hey, I live in the area, message me if you want to come over to my place to play some time!"

(One note is that most of us in the area are on PC, and only have XBox sticks, which can complicate logistics.)

This is pretty much the place to hear about anything SG related in TX. I don't know of anything being held in November, although if you live in the area, it probably wouldn't be hard for you to just say "hey, I live in the area, message me if you want to come over to my place to play some time!"

(One note is that most of us in the area are on PC, and only have XBox sticks, which can complicate logistics.)
Damn. I live in Texas, but I don't have a Facebook.

Same.
Even though you have the game on PSN, do you have a Steam account? If so, add me, and I'll at least let you know what's going on, provided that you pester me from time to time.

(I probably won't remember you if you're just another forum user who I've never met in person, so the pestering is important.)

(Also, you could just go get a Facebook. Yes, I know, social networking sucks [and I don't say this ironically; I hate the fact that I have a Facebook], but it can be useful at times.)

Even though you have the game on PSN, do you have a Steam account? If so, add me, and I'll at least let you know what's going on, provided that you pester me from time to time.

(I probably won't remember you if you're just another forum user who I've never met in person, so the pestering is important.)

(Also, you could just go get a Facebook. Yes, I know, social networking sucks [and I don't say this ironically; I hate the fact that I have a Facebook], but it can be useful at times.)

Scythana.
I'll think about getting a Facebook too,
but I probably won't.

I play on ps3 a lot, it's much less active than PC but still a decent amount of strong players.
I play on PS3 only atm, and aside from the once-in-a-lifetime Sonicfox everyone is godawful and on some shitass wireless net that makes 100ms connections nigh unplayable
I do tend to find matches after some waiting time (though half of those lose connection during char select), but I sure don't find anyone decent, and their net is so godawful I may as well play against the CPU instead

If you actually plan to play this on PS3 -for whatever reason- we should hook up @Vladislav_Paizis

I play on PS3 only atm, and aside from the once-in-a-lifetime Sonicfox everyone is godawful and on some shitass wireless net that makes 100ms connections nigh unplayable.@Vladislav_Paizis
For what it's worth, console online will probably improve a fair amount once lobbies are available on console.

Last edited:
Damn. I live in Texas, but I don't have a Facebook.
Same.

Hey guys, did you know that this forum has a section dedicated to local communities for offline play? There's no Facebook required, it's as easy as posting in this thread that you already are posting in!

http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?forums/local-fg-scenes.45/

And you can subscribe to the thread (once it exists) and get alerts on Skullheart or email when a new post is made. You can talk to and find people in the area to Skullgirls with. Pretty neat!

Hey guys, did you know that this forum has a section dedicated to local communities for offline play? There's no Facebook required, it's as easy as posting in this thread that you already are posting in!

And you can subscribe to the thread (once it exists) and get alerts on Skullheart or email when a new post is made. You can talk to and find people in the area to Skullgirls with. Pretty neat!

I mean,
I know about that subforum, I've checked it several times,
but there was no Texas thread and the Skullheart Map showed, like, nobody in this area so I assumed it wasn't worth trying.

The FGC doesn't use forums to communicate about tournaments anymore and its been happening for a good few years now.

Make a Facebook to keep in touch with your local scene.

Or you can do your own SG thing and separate it from every other FG, which stunts growth imo.

I mean,
I know about that subforum, I've checked it several times,
but there was no Texas thread and the Skullheart Map showed, like, nobody in this area so I assumed it wasn't worth trying.
I know, there's people who think it's a good idea to hide events on invite only, not found via a google search parts of the internet instead of posting it where people who play Skullgirls visit for Skullgirls news and info.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
People constantly saying "game is dead, game is dying" is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you want to go by numbers (or rather the disparity in entrants at pretty much any tournament) every game that's not UMvC3 or SF4 is "dead" which isn't true either. Capcom fighting games have historically been more popular than other games, it doesn't mean those other games don't exist or there aren't people playing them, far from it.

"Game is dead/game is dying" reminds me of my favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded." Except in this case its kind of in the reverse

We deal with this in my local scene too. KoF, Tekken, Skullgirls, Persona all have people showing up to our local meetups and playing, but the Marvel and Street Fighter guys NEVER show up and instead opt to complain about how nobody plays those games at meetups on our Facebook group. You see the problem there?

DFWers (I won't name who, although you don't have many to choose from...) have asked in the past that people not mention local events on SH, and even the ones who who don't feel so strongly about this place don't ever hang out here.

This forum kinda doesn't have a good reputation within the larger SG community.

Reactions: FunkyHellboy
DFWers (I won't name who, although you don't have many to choose from...) have asked in the past that people not mention local events on SH, and even the ones who who don't feel so strongly about this place don't ever hang out here.

Is it the casuals or Mike Z scaring them away?

I am amazed people think separating themselves from everyone else who plays the same game isn't a reason why people aren't showing up or unaware of their local scene. The FGC is just turning into a bunch of cliques bullying other cliques.

Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
The FGC doesn't use forums to communicate about tournaments anymore and its been happening for a good few years now.

Make a Facebook to keep in touch with your local scene.

Or you can do your own SG thing and separate it from every other FG, which stunts growth imo.

Facebook has basically become the new discussion forum for local scenes and local tournaments and forums are more for discussion about gameplay and tech now. I actually prefer it this way but I still think there's room for local scene threads on Skullheart/SRK/Smashboards/Dreamcancel w/e

What the

That is like the scrubbiest thing I've ever heard.

Must do wonders for tournament activity for them to have that kind of mentality.

I can't predict how long the casual crowd will stay. They probably will still make fanart for as long as they still like the game.

The competitive scene on the other hand, I can see them start to dwindle by like 6 months to a year after the final patch is released. By that point, we'll be see the decreasing entries and ask/answer the same "Why is SG dying" question in like five threads with no (scientific) solution.

WARNING, LONG POST, SO HERE'S A TLDR: Local crazy man is rambling about the state of SG and how it could become better after some time.

I encourage everyone who still questions that to read St1ckBuG's LOOOOOONG post about the Blazblue community (regardless of your opinions on him): http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4292-the-bb-community-evo-netplay-and-the-fgc/

Long story short, in my opinion, we pretty much are facing in the same problem that Blazblue had/has. And will probably still face after the final patch drops...
>Some to most of the members are young, which can mean that they are either "broke college/high school students, too young to travel, or a combination of both."
>And probably don't have a car yet
>At worst, too comfortable with Netplay to care about tournaments (This is highly debatable, but I factored it here because it could be an unknown big problem)

The rest like Tournament support and others after that I can't speak for. But they aren't that important for this topic anyway IMO.

Now, you may have noticed I put "had" for Blazblue. Because after a while, I've noticed that more players started showing up to locals and majors when CP dropped (at least before this year's EVO). The reason is possibly after all its years, players have gotten decent jobs, are old/mature enough to travel, etc. So the scene kept growing because those players have stayed since they've started. If this community is still steady after the final patch, we could end up being in a time to make it bigger/better and gain a brighter future.

The point
: Half to most of us are not in a position yet to (consistently) go to tournaments/locals, or even create them ourselves. But we should do as much as we can to grow/support the scene. Like, @Lethalmind getting SG on TSB. I myself one day (somewhere within early 2015 hopefully) will try to build up a scene in my local gathering.

Anyways, encourage those curious about the game to try it out and help out some new players.
Good and well thought out/ explained post and don't worry it wasn't that long of one anyway so I never lost interest in reading it.

Reactions: Kongk4

That's pretty frustrating. :(

Since you sound like you have a direct line to these guys could you talk to them for me/us? What negative reputation does SH have in the wider SG community? What would it take to get people who don't like this place to join? If there's something wrong, we would like to address it, and change it if we can.

Good and well thought out/ explained post and don't worry it wasn't that long of one anyway so I never lost interest in reading it.
Thanks dood.

Oh goody, once we're done and I can finally go from having this be my full-time job with no time to play, to having it be a game I want to play and can finally invest time in, everyone will quit?
Well dang.

This is a depressing thread, because it assumes that how long YOU play the game is contingent on the opinion of someone who is not you, and who is not even quantifiable.
The game lasts as long as people want to keep playing it, in whatever capacity they enjoy.

I'm not even sure what "dead" means...MvC2 is dead and UGC can have 30-person tournaments for it. 3s is dead and there's a crowd for it at Super pretty often. KOF is supposedly alive and yet West Coast Warzone had 10 entrants. SG had more entrants at UFGT than KI did, and had 170 people for the side tournament at Evo 2014. Etc. True, we haven't gotten Evo's support and that drastically hurt the competitive community - look at what it did for BB and what happened afterward - but that's Evo's decision and we didn't have the, er, means to force it.

The more time you spend asking if it's dead, the more likely you are to convince yourself it is.
Well still thank you for the post anyway, though the thread doesn't have to be depressing. No one knows exactly what will happen in the future.
And yes the Evo thing was pretty bad that we can't just take main stage by force. (and the fact we were cut down to only seeing the top 4 after a FT13 in TTT2)
But one fact I forgot to touch on is content creators outside of Lab 0 and how they help grow Skullgirls.

The Super Best Friends group has always been a driving force for Skullgirls and it's growth and I'm sure that they won't quit after the DLC is done so we can expect people coming in from them.
Miles923 or Maximillion will dabble in the game when all the DLC is released or maybe when Beowulf is out because I could see him making a (CHAIR HYPE VIDEOOO!) and that would bring in a good crowd for the amount of content he brings in.
Hopefully we will be able to grow large channels out of the SG community that can help promote it as well
Notice me sempai
But if we can add more of the longer lasting casual core audience to the game and then they can become the competitive players I'm sure the life span can be increased by a lot.

Trust me, I made this thread to gain information about the topic and bring it to light because not only can we look at something like this and comtemplate the state of SG's community we can improve on it with new ideas and stronger bonds within our community,
(Like the Arlington boys here)

But again thank you for your input as well and I hope you follow this thread as it can be a happy place as well.

Reactions: erkicman
Is it the casuals or Mike Z scaring them away?

I am amazed people think separating themselves from everyone else who plays the same game isn't a reason why people aren't showing up or unaware of their local scene. The FGC is just turning into a bunch of cliques bullying other cliques.
To be back in grade school again right?

which community is that then?

not being sarcastic or w/e, actually a genuine question.

doesnt seem like many people post on the skullgirls training facebiik page nor the actual skullgirls page that arent just posting dumb memes or asking questions like "where is beowulf/eliza/etc etc

which community is that then?

not being sarcastic or w/e, actually a genuine question.

doesnt seem like many people post on the skullgirls training facebiik page nor the actual skullgirls page that arent just posting dumb memes or asking questions like "where is beowulf/eliza/etc etc
Basically everyone I've added on Steam who isn't someone I added because of Skullbats.