• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Realistically what do you think Skullgirls' life span is after the last DLC?

Scythana.
I'll think about getting a Facebook too,
but I probably won't.
Box has made a grievous mistake revealing himself like this.

Basically everyone I've added on Steam who isn't someone I added because of Skullbats.

so you mean that steam forum community looks down on skullheart or something? are PC players seperating themselves off as the larger SG community?

i dunno. i figure if you are playing the same game you should all be part of the same community. this game isnt popular enough to have various sub sections within it.

It's not even the steam forum community (although they also certainly don't like Skullheart, although almost all of their grievances seem to be more with Arcana than the rest of the forums). It's everyone I've added after having a few good games against them.

That's certainly a shame, it's infinitely more difficult to get good feedback from players outside SH or #Skullgirls IRC or in person.
There are idiots here, as there are everywhere, but the proportion of useful info per drivel is much higher, as far as I've dealt with.

it makes me sad that some of my local scene isnt into the game more cos they are total fuckin scientists when it comes to figuring shit out. i could learn so much from them.

honestly i can see this lasting a damn long while on pc

i dont really care about the tourney scene. i live in the middle of nowhere and work most weekends.

sg is literally the only pc fighter with netcode worth a damn (unless capcom suddenly decides to fix the pc port of USF4 which will never happen). this means if you're a pc gamer like moi and you want to play a fighting game, you will play sg. tack on that its slick looking and easy to pick up, i can see the online community lasting for a long time. i see new meat fresh faces in lobbies all the time.

again, this has no relation to tournaments or even console players. but i define alive = people playing it. 3s/kof98/mvc still have 20 man ggpo lobbies, and i guarantee you that's partly because they're good games but also because the pc selection sucks. which works in sg's favor.

The au community is still picking up people, i dont know how, but its happening. The Korean community has a beginner tournament for their lower level or just beginning players.

Unless mike puts something in the game that i seriously hate, i will be playing sg for a very long time. It has the things that i care most for from fighting games and eschews things that i dont like, and its the only fighting game i can take seriously over the internet.

Sg as i see it is poised to be one of if not the best fighting games of all time because of its balance features, varied cast, training mode, online play, and replay functionality.

The game may "die" but it might also have a daigo moment that brings people in. You never know.

After having thought about it for a long time, i decided in my own mind at least because of friends that i have, that the PRIMARY reason why people didnt like sg was because they arent super hot on playing girl characters, or even a game with the word girl in it because it seems "girly" not to mention how many people are appalled by the bewbs. But I'm hoping that with Beowulf coming out and having another male character to team with, that maybe some of those guys will give (team "duo dudes") a chance.

Probably not but its an outside hope. Maximillien said he was waiting for Beowulf. Not proof of any kind but Beowulf is the kind of character that sg really needs. And after that we have a new fortune coming out. And a ps4 release.

Realistically, i dont know if sg will last more than 3 years after robo fortune is done, but i certainly hope so, even if @ClarenceMage is the only motherfucker i can play against... Ill do that shit.

I didn't start playing Skullgirls because of it's scene, I started playing because I wanted to play it. I kept playing because I enjoyed playing it. I'm sure the only reason I'll stop playing is if I stopped enjoying playing. Which doesn't look like it'll happen.

Having other people to play is great, but even if there was a drought of players it wouldn't make me stop looking for matches whenever I'm out in a room full of fighting game players.

Who in the world would start playing SG because of its scene

What even is its scene

People who want Mahvel without the douchebags. And guys, I suppose.

I haven't seen a video game die before, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the customs. Is there gonna be like, a funeral where people come and play Skullgirls?

Hopefully they'll offer A Moment of Silence as DLC, so I can pay my respects.

I play on PS3 only atm, and aside from the once-in-a-lifetime Sonicfox everyone is godawful and on some shitass wireless net that makes 100ms connections nigh unplayable
I do tend to find matches after some waiting time (though half of those lose connection during char select), but I sure don't find anyone decent, and their net is so godawful I may as well play against the CPU instead

If you actually plan to play this on PS3 -for whatever reason- we should hook up @Vladislav_Paizis

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for your support when I was a rookie in the Beginner's ?s Topic btw.
I'm PS3 only & have encountered some lag at times, but a variety of skill levels. Beginners willing to learn are fun, because I get to help represent the community a bit, and see some people improve over time. People above me push me to improve, and I've played a lot of intermediates around my level thanks to this forum & some random people. My brother has a good wired connection if you can play me on weekends (W. coast US- intermediate).

As far as the topic, it's speculation, but I'll choose to be optimistic. The gameplay, balance, animation, etc. of the game trumps even some of the industry giants imo. And the fact that a quality fighting game was made outside of Japan still amazes me (can't stand MK-style games). After the updates, we'll see what happens. Many established fighters will keep announcing updates & sequels to keep interest. I try to spread the word to people about this game, but let me know if I can do anything else to help (art, something for the NorCal scene, etc.).

Getting to a local scene has been my biggest challenge. Maybe Milpitas Golfland someday...

Thing is, after the DLC, is there a time span where Mike can no longer touch the game and just throw out crazy new experiments or bug fixes? I'm sure he's got a huge list of stuff he wants to try out and/or fix.

We've also got a ps4 release incoming that might require post-launch patching.

These experiments and free communication to the devs can keep things exciting. Like Val's current changes in beta.

Come to think of it, wouldn't the last DLC pack be voice packs after Robo Fortune?
Yeah this game is never gonna die for me. #DrunkTomar #RealSovietDamage

People would rather make threads talking about how long people will play Skullgirls, than play Skullgirls
My excuse is I can't get to a PS3 til the weekend. 0.0 But to me this is one of the more thought-provoking topics outside of gameplay tech/combos I've seen in a while.

Reactions: erkicman
By "life span" I hear "as long as people will play the game".
3s is supposed to be "dead" and you can still find online players on GGPO or Supercade and there are still a few local tournaments.

What you have to ask to yourselves is what would make you drop this game for good. Not enough players? You will always find players. And if you don't find any random players you will have friends to ask for a game.

I understand the fear that people have for the future of Skullgirls but we should stop saying the word "dead game" for good. Because when updates will stop the only thing you will hope and fight for will be that this game will be still be played by the most number of people.
And keep saying that this game is about to die is like trying to persuade yourself or the crowd about it. The crowd should hear things like "we have a great community and everyone is welcome here" instead.

One thing though that would prevent people from dropping this game is... fixed lobbies. During our French lobbies, some players might get fed up of the lobbies problems and start playing SF4 or KOF instead.

Reactions: Wildpony
One thing though that would prevent people from dropping this game is... fixed lobbies. During our French lobbies, some players might get fed up of the lobbies problems and start playing SF4 or KOF instead.
OK seriously let's get a REAL LIST of bugs with any kind of repro steps (even "be eighth in an 8-person lobby" is better than "sometimes this happens") and I'll see what I can do. When I actually got repro steps for the black screen I fixed it in a day.

Sg as i see it is poised to be one of if not the best fighting games of all time because of its balance features, varied cast, training mode, online play, and replay functionality.
Thanks. Although most games have replays...?

Thing is, after the DLC, is there a time span where Mike can no longer touch the game and just throw out crazy new experiments or bug fixes? I'm sure he's got a huge list of stuff he wants to try out and/or fix.
I dunno the timeframe, but I'm pretty sure that once we're working on any next game (or all broke and go get other jobs) there won't be much time to do stuff. Not to mention that it would be basically impossible to update the console builds at that point without the giant network of people we have helping us get through those now, plus paying for testing...

It's not already dead?

In one of the largest metroplexes in the US, we can't even have proper tournaments for the game -- we can only have casual setups at tournaments -- because we can't get eight people to enter. There's a grand total of four Skullgirls players in the entire Dallas-Fort Worth area, one of whom I've never even seen in person.

If that's not dead, I don't know what is.

If you obtain a house

and fill it with goons

You will have a house of goons

I'm like a page late, but,
I made a facebook account just to keep up with my local melee scene, and it has been hella worth it. Just bite the bullet and do it.

You don't even have to friend anyone.

You just lurk the page and go to stuff.

Reactions: herbvijkl
So long as player apathy doesn't overtake enthusiasm, it'll still have a competitive scene.

Whether or not the game grows, shrinks or "dies", that's all up to you people.

Fucking remember that!

Also should the game receive a Japanese arcade release, it may breathe some new life/interest into the game.

All I mainly do now is play "dead" games like GG+R, VSav, SFA2, Garou, KoF98 SamSho5Sp, etc...so SG being added to the list is nothing big to me. I'm used to playing games that only get like 10+ people in locals and maybe a hundred or so at majors. It'll just be SSDG, Same Shit Different Game.

More people need to be up on that sfa2. Ridiculously awesome game, probably my second favorite of all time next to sg. Though of course i dont play it anymore because I'm computer bad and dont have ggpo, but last i did play it was against the 3 legends of the game while we were waiting our turns in some denjin tournament.

I'd never played against them and it was surreal to see them playing each other and be included in the games. Its truly a blast to play against good people.

Reactions: Shin ATproof
I'm not even sure what "dead" means...MvC2 is dead and UGC can have 30-person tournaments for it. 3s is dead and there's a crowd for it at Super pretty often. KOF is supposedly alive and yet West Coast Warzone had 10 entrants. SG had more entrants at UFGT than KI did, and had 170 people for the side tournament at Evo 2014. Etc. True, we haven't gotten Evo's support and that drastically hurt the competitive community - look at what it did for BB and what happened afterward - but that's Evo's decision and we didn't have the, er, means to force it.
I assumed "dead" meant that no one really mains it or plays it too seriously anymore and a lack of a newbie playerbase. MvC2 and 3S from what I've seen are usually played casually or for nostalgia, not many people say "I mainly play MvC2". I suppose using KOF as an example can be a counter argument although I'm not entirely sure why KoF is so unpopular.

KI has a problem of being on an unpopular console. If it was on 360 it would probably be much more popular.

This forum kinda doesn't have a good reputation within the larger SG community.
Steam forums: "I got hit by a 100000 hit combo, this game is too hard"
4chan: "I want to get pegged by Parasoul"
SRK: *crickets*
Others(?): "When is Big Band going to be released?"

Maybe it's just oldman wisdom and crankiness but I really find the argument of a game "dying" and active people within that community worrying/speculating/guesstimating about it dying when they possess all the power to change that self-fulfilling prophecy is fucking idiotic. Seriously, that shit is stupid. Especially if you've done TOing for this game and are a part of this self-fulfilling prophecy; your apathy doesn't help.

That's pretty frustrating. :(

Since you sound like you have a direct line to these guys could you talk to them for me/us? What negative reputation does SH have in the wider SG community? What would it take to get people who don't like this place to join? If there's something wrong, we would like to address it, and change it if we can.
There's a non-skullheart skullgirls community? How's that make sense?

If you obtain a house

and fill it with goons

You will have a house of goons
WTF is this even supposed to mean?

Or are you just doing that "hey guys, I'm making a post that makes no sense at all in reply to a post I don't like, aren't I an amazing troll?" thing?

No that's my job.

People constantly saying "game is dead, game is dying" is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you want to go by numbers (or rather the disparity in entrants at pretty much any tournament) every game that's not UMvC3 or SF4 is "dead"
Honestly Marvel 3 seems like it's on the way out. The only fighting game left is Street Fighter 4. Hope y'all like ultra combos~
Long story short, in my opinion, we pretty much are facing in the same problem that Blazblue had/has. And will probably still face after the final patch drops...
>Some to most of the members are young, which can mean that they are either "broke college/high school students, too young to travel, or a combination of both."
>And probably don't have a car yet
>At worst, too comfortable with Netplay to care about tournaments (This is highly debatable, but I factored it here because it could be an unknown big problem)
Ahaha this is so fucking true. There are people in New England who play this game but not a single one of them owns a god damn car. I'm laughing to keep from crying.
DFWers (I won't name who, although you don't have many to choose from...) have asked in the past that people not mention local events on SH, and even the ones who who don't feel so strongly about this place don't ever hang out here.

This forum kinda doesn't have a good reputation within the larger SG community.
You sort of already answered this, but if there's some central hub where people talk about competitive Skullgirls outside of Skullheart, I'd like to know about it so I can advertise the next New England monthly that's coming up this Saturday.

Reactions: Natezer and Kongk4
I'm happy with the way things are honestly and don't see why we need to keep trying so hard.

We had our chance, games "too old" now. I'm more than happy with the wonderful people we have still playing. We need to focus on keeping the people we have, and not trying to force new people, if they didn't like it in Vanilla, SDE, AND MDE, they won't like Encore. Its that simple.

VA/MD is doing just fine <3

And yeah literally at this point EVERY fighting game is near or complete poverty levels minus SF4 and Melee. Every single other game is either stagnant or in a downward slope.

I believe what people mean by "dead" games: They mean those that don't bring in the money, or at least not very much. Plus, not being on the main line-up for majors.* IIRC, Justin Wong and Chris G have said that they love SG, but focus on other games, like Marvel 3 and Street Fighter 4, because that's where the money is at. No game is truly "dead," but to them, in terms of the major competitive support, it is.

There's also, the rare case of a game just being largely hated so much (from the casual crowd), that is was forced to "die." AKA: SFxT.

*This might be the biggest factor in play.

I love my scene in NY/NJ <3

wish that the people who don't show up to our locals WOULD SHOW UP THO WHERE YOU GUYS AT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE WE NEED YOU
I like that I would drive 4.5 hours for the Next Level tournaments and people who actually live there wouldn't go. Sooooo coooooool

I'm happy with the way things are honestly and don't see why we need to keep trying so hard.

We had our chance, games "too old" now. I'm more than happy with the wonderful people we have still playing. We need to focus on keeping the people we have, and not trying to force new people, if they didn't like it in Vanilla, SDE, AND MDE, they won't like Encore. Its that simple.

Yes, the SGC needs to just remain a community and so long as that's the case, this game will continue to live for many years to come but that is entirely up to the SGC.

As for new players, here in SoCal we developed a relationship with other fighting game communities. Most notably the Vampire Savior community. There's others from the Anime fighter community getting into the game as well so our scene has actually shown signs of growth and that was primarily a product of engaging other players and joining their games. That's something for other Skullgirls players can consider in the meantime and future.

Also, once all the characters are added, more people may give it a try since talking with quite a few people, a reason some haven't gotten fully invested in to SG it is the fact the game is still "in development" and it's hard for newcomers to keep up. Current SG players are able to adapt to new changes (and will likely whine in doing so) but it's understandably daunting/intimidating in that respect for newer players that want to get in but feel now isn't quite the time.

I like that I would drive 4.5 hours for the Next Level tournaments and people who actually live there wouldn't go. Sooooo coooooool

Wait.... what? *Is mad*

I felt so bad I'm so sorry peanuts ;__; !!!! <-

Reactions: mcpeanuts
What is dead may never die.
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg