• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Robo Fortune Discussion

Is it me or is her voice still pretty hard to hear?

I've almost never thought of using head attacks in an offensive way from neutral or incorporating them into setups so I'll toy with that idea a bit.
I've been using the missiles to hold someone in place while I taunted, loaded a vial, etc. for a while as well as getting rare combos off mines. While these require quite a bit of planning they're useful, still not sure how to set up a real "pattern", I never really played Testament, this isn't exactly my thing but the tools are useful for aggressive purposes as well as defensive.

Last edited:
I've been using the missiles to hold someone in place while I taunted, loaded a vial, etc. for a while as well as getting rare combos off mines. While these require quite a bit of planning they're useful, still not sure how to set up a real "pattern", I never really played Testament, this isn't exactly my thing but the tools are useful for aggressive purposes as well as defensive.

We all took that comment far too seriously, she isn't anything like Testament. I don't know what Mike meant but I think he meant something pretty specific instead of how they actually play.

Testament's zoning is setting up areas/angles of the screen that are off-limits to get you to approach him on his terms, rather than with the goal of keeping you away from him. Robo should be approached similarly, as opposed to Cable or Peacock who are attempting to keep you far away at all times.

I don't know, I usually understand Mike's comparisons so I assumed I'm just not seeing something for the Testament one. I imagine it has to do with creating unsafe areas on the screen but I'm not entirely sure how to pull that off yet beyond laying mines and moment to moment control of space with rams, etc.

Of course Mike elaborates before I finish my post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kit Ballard
I imagine it has to do with creating unsafe areas on the screen but I'm not entirely sure how to consider pull that off yet beyond laying mines
Laying a mine requires them to not approach on the ground.
Launching missiles requires them to move forward or backward.
Launching a head requires them to dodge it in a specific way.
Beams require them to jump.
All of those things can be accomplished while moving toward you, but you know what they HAVE to do in order to avoid taking chip, so you can use their restricted options to your advantage.

Why was any of this necessary for me to say? Sigh.

Why was any of this necessary for me to say? Sigh.
It wasn't, accidentally submitted the post early, I understand how the tools work, what they do, my problem is I'm not stringing them together as effectively as I would like to so I assume I'm missing something.

It's a problem of using the tools effectively, not being unable to understand what they're for.

Since s.HK is a dust attack can we get jump cancels on hit too? Then she could do that jump cancel trick where you start the jump but cancel the jump with a special like what Eliza does with her upper cut to dive of Horus.

It wasn't really necessary to say. Your responses just made me feel it was something different to that, is all and got me into a weird state for a little while thinking there was something huge I was missing before dismissing it.

I'm finding the 5HK xx 2HK change alone is helping me significantly, I'm managing to get heads up much easier and I don't feel like I'm wasting resources every time I use one. Kamikaze is pretty great, I find them the most universally useful of the headrones right now, probably because they have the simplest application but I'm loving them.

I want to find more defensive use for mine, right now I'm mostly just getting some chip while my opponent stalls out the mine. Forcing approaches with a mine out seems pretty tricky to me right now.

Reactions: OldOnyxBones
Since s.HK is a dust attack can we get jump cancels on hit too? Then she could do that jump cancel trick where you start the jump but cancel the jump with a special like what Eliza does with her upper cut to dive of Horus.
I can't help but feel that'd be a bit too strong, atleast if I'm understanding what you're saying.

S.hk kamikaze would be so good I imagine

I can't help but feel that'd be a bit too strong, atleast if I'm understanding what you're saying.

S.hk kamikaze would be so good I imagine

it probably wouldn't be that strong since it'd put her in combo stage 5.

right now I'm mostly just getting some chip while my opponent stalls out the mine. Forcing approaches with a mine out seems pretty tricky to me right now.
Well if they are just stalling, you get 2 heads out which is pretty decent for using 1?

I have a bigger issue with it just never coming into play, as it sits on the ground and is tiny and everyone just avoids it

Hidden Missiles are really good btw, I dnno how you can not use them!

My biggest problem with hidden missiles is the big commitment to it, in both time and heads. Level 1 missiles feels almost completely useless and level 3 seems far too expensive even for the big reward, and the summon by itself also takes a LONG time. There's also having to deal with PBGC supers such as Double car or Beo bionic arm if you want to get taunts after it but that's more of a matchup thing than anything. I need to look into using level 2 missiles because I think in terms of both heads and time they're a fair trade off but I don't know how I can use both the threat of them or how to get missiles out safely.

Then again I'm not used to using missiles in general in UMVC3 either so my understanding of its usage is perhaps not very good in the first place.

Well if they are just stalling, you get 2 heads out which is pretty decent for using 1?

I have a bigger issue with it just never coming into play, as it sits on the ground and is tiny and everyone just avoids it

Hidden Missiles are really good btw, I dnno how you can not use them!

When I say stall it out, I mostly mean the second sentence you wrote. If I make an attempt to sit on the mine they wont approach my directly but that's not to say I will be left alone to get more heads out for free.

And I'm sure hidden missiles is very useful, I just haven't had much Robo time because I'm practicing a different team for an offline retail tournament coming up more than I have Robo, so the situation where I have 3 heads and the setup to use them effectively hasn't really come up and I haven't explored them enough yet to be honest. Like I said, I just find a lot of immediately obvious uses for Kamikaze.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but landing dust buys you a ton of time, even cancels into launch headdrone (and taunt) if that's what you want the time for. I just think it's hard to overemphasize how important it is this character has an overhead she can combo into that gives you an entire screen of space and good amount of time to do what you want. RAM itself can also be good for buying time, though you need to get those safe 17 frames from somewhere.

My biggest problem with hidden missiles is the big commitment to it, in both time and heads. Level 1 missiles feels almost completely useless and level 3 seems far too expensive even for the big reward, and the summon by itself also takes a LONG time. There's also having to deal with PBGC supers such as Double car or Beo bionic arm if you want to get taunts after it but that's more of a matchup thing than anything. I need to look into using level 2 missiles because I think in terms of both heads and time they're a fair trade off but I don't know how I can use both the threat of them or how to get missiles out safely.

Then again I'm not used to using missiles in general in UMVC3 either so my understanding of its usage is perhaps not very good in the first place.

Just theory but, like mike says, use the missiles as way to take advantage of where your opponent can't go. Lvl1 missiles isn't a huge commitment to get. And if throwing them out denies your opponent that space, then throw them out when your opponent is at a space that you think is important, or when you simply want them to move.

Also, if your opponent avoids them by moving forwards, then they have effectively "cornered" themselves because they "can't" move back to where the missiles are about to fall. And if they move to avoid them backwards, then they've taken off pressure.

Of course in game it will not be so good as in print, but the trick to realize is that you just spent few resources and can still gain a benefit. And there is alway the fact that with one head out you can call missiles and cancel into super and do a lot of chip damage or hurt an assist. Not a pattern that will come up often especially if you don't actively try to make it happen, but is still an option that is there.

Last edited:
I don't care about dust in this context, I mostly mean in neutral.

Yes there's ways to use missiles on offense, especially when I land a dust and there's assist based ways to get them to run into missiles for free offense but that's not really what I am thinking about when I say using missiles is a big commitment to me.

What dime says is definitely something I'd like to try though, nice idea.

I'm not really trying to go in with RF as much as I can afford it. I want them to get hit by my shit (and wherever I can, convert that hit to damage via magnet super) rather than me having to take the time to try to get them to get hit by my shit, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: I will admit though that I haven't explored using missiles as much as I could have for neutral, especially how to get them out safely using assists and seeing how the differences in avoiding level 1, level 2 and level 3 missiles is concerned.

Me and 6-Let had some matches earlier and I found quite some time to do both build heads and fire off the Salvo (which works great when you catch em in Danger! H XD). You just needa learn where and when to make em. It's like making Valentine vial charges. Gotta find the space and time to make em.

Also the Vacuum on Danger! H is insane.

Hey Mike, I know you didn't like rapid cancel for different head commands, but what about just RAM to RAM?

Hey Mike, I know you didn't like rapid cancel for different head commands, but what about just RAM to RAM?

What? I thought he said he liked it and that he'd give it a try! I guess he must have tried it in his own private build and thought it sucked. Oh well.

What? I thought he said he liked it and that he'd give it a try! I guess he must have tried it in his own private build and thought it sucked. Oh well.
From what I remember he said it confused the heads, like mines doing missiles and stuff.

From what I remember he said it confused the heads, like mines doing missiles and stuff.

I guess Robokitty's heads are only so intelligent. You know how robots are, just one little "This statement is false." and *BOOM!!!*

He said it didn't add much and the heads got confused.

To reiterate: I tried it, and it didn't add very much on top of what she could already do. The heads also got confused, but that's secondary.

Reactions: Jet Set Dizzy
So when you use H beam as an anti-air, you get like 6-8 frames more hitstun off of it depending on distance. This makes H-Beam xx Level 1 super beam barely possible.

Last edited:
Why does j.HP on counter hit only give +50 undizzy?

Why does j.HP on counter hit only give +50 undizzy?
because its a projectile and peacocks and doubles work the same way

@Mike_Z

Don't know whether this is just me or my stick, but I've checked input display and everything checked out.

When I dash with robo, sometimes downback doesn't cancel the dash. This is very easily reproduced in the training room for me and my inputs seem to be fine. Also only seems to happen on 1p side as I don't seem to be able to reproduce it on the 2 player side.

On the 1p side it only seems to happen from forward x2 dash, doesn't seem to happen with button dash.

-edit

There must be a difference in my inputs on either side because it does happen on the 2p side. It seems to be most easily reproducible by trying to crouch cancel the dash late, as well as going 2,1 instead of 4,1

Last edited:
I played with it for a little bit, I noticed that it actually happens on all characters that have extended dashes that move forward for a bit unless you press down. Take Eliza for instance, dash forward, go to back almost immediately and then slide to downback, she'll still use that long dash of hers while being able to downback. Works with Band too but he doesn't get as much movement as eliza or robo. I think you may have found some tech.

E: all characters can do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dime
Well then it's tech I don't like :(

It makes dashing forward and trying to otg assist convert a real pain because the brakes only work sporadically :(

the way it's described (as I haven't tried it) sounds like a Smash mechanic, which I welcome. I've prob used the sliding before now I think of it...

Well then it's tech I don't like :(
It makes dashing forward and trying to otg assist convert a real pain because the brakes only work sporadically :(
Only if you press down-back, straight down works. As already stated before your post.
There is some very old gameplay reason for this that I don't remember offhand, but I would bet it's so that since you can dash while stand blocking you should also be able to dash while crouch blocking.

What assist are you trying to convert from? If you are using brass, my advice is that I've found that usually I just need to dash slightly longer than I'd normally expect and pick up with cMP, and that goes almost universally in either throw conversion, neutral assist hit, or plain old mid-combo pickup.

typo's in robo fortune tutorial.

2015-05-12_00001.jpg

in this part of the tutorial if you summon the heads before you taunt you can't complete the tutorial.
2015-05-12_00002.jpg

Looks like Eliza doesn't need fixing but the other projectiles do.

Looks like Eliza doesn't need fixing but the other projectiles do.
What the....oh ha, I guess that's what happens when a projectile is invincible. Fixed!

What the....oh ha, I guess that's what happens when a projectile is invincible. Fixed!
that was quick! ^_^ <3 you