• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

I tried to watch one of the ones from the prior post and I couldn't make it past the 20 second mark, I just find it repulsive.

I am glad that some people like it, so it's not a complete waste. Will pay attention again when it's actually out and people can point out things that make it worth trying.

Yeah. It's just really cringy and uninspired. Every last bit of it.

I haven't seen the other character's trailers, but this really sunk a good amount of my interest
I'd buy it anyway if I had a WiiU as a new method of self-torture.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but what really blows my mind is that the dev team said that the reason they didn't make it an srpg (a somewhat small genre with a lot of room for innovation) was because "everything we thought of was too similar to something Intelligent Systems would make".

So of course, their brilliant idea was to make something that was too similar to everything Atlus has made in the past few years.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
I'm not saying the game should be darker buuuuut as it is, it's making Dancing All Night look like Nocturne.

So are there any actual SMT characters in this game or is it all Fire Emblem characters?

Just FE.

Unless the Demifiend is an optional superboss again, which would make any SMT dork at least slightly interested.

At this point, I doubt it will have any SMT. I know, or at least am 100% sure, that some of the well known SMT demons may appear or someone may make reference to Jack Frost/have a Jack Frost button, but the current developement has shifted far away from SMT. The sad thing is, SMT is so niche itself, and so few fans of games like Persona actually care about it, that if they had made a darker story, or at least one that complimented the tone of Fire Emblem with the SMT backdrop, it probably would have garnered more interest overall...

Anyone know how the game is faring, popularity wise, in Japan right now?

what if we gave the game a gun

Only if it's a fun gun.

I haven't seen the other character's trailers, but this really sunk a good amount of my interest
I'd buy it anyway if I had a WiiU as a new method of self-torture.
check out Touma's.

I can honestly say the main girl's is probably the worst one.
I think the music doesn't help it in any way.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
i mean it could be worse
she could be that kamen rider/chaos path wannabe
no one wants that

So I got Raidou 1 today. Looking forward to da big SCOOP.

Hope you enjoy it, I think it has one of Meguro's soundtracks. Gameplay is pretty barebones and a lot of people find it dull, I was able to enjoy the game though, and 2 does a great job on expanding on the ideas of the first game in terms gameplay.

Raidou has a great soundtrack, but watch out, the 3D arenas use hand drawn areas, so your own depth perception can be your enemy

OKAY FIRST OFF:

I keep wasting bullets because triangle is the shoot button, whereas in every single SMT game I have played on the PS2 so far, triangle has been some sort of menu. Gonna have to get used to that.

I am enjoying myself so far though, other than that.

bullets'll save your life man. That and unlocking sword fusion :P

I keep wasting bullets because triangle is the shoot button
Well, ammo is unlimited in 2, so look forward to that.

Reactions: BeatNinja
A friend of mine thinks Raidou 2 is secretly one of the best SMT games. Been meaning to check that one out.

A friend of mine thinks Raidou 2 is secretly one of the best SMT games
If you like the gameplay it is actually pretty up there, writing is weak compared to the first but that's the only problem I can remember I had with the game.

So far the writing is fucking fantastic in the first game. If the gameplay was traditional SMT it'd easily be one of the best.

If you like the gameplay it is actually pretty up there, writing is weak compared to the first but that's the only problem I can remember I had with the game.
He actually liked the writing a lot in Raidou 2 (moreso then Nocturne or Persona 3/4), but he didn't play the first one so I dunno.

So far the writing is fucking fantastic in the first game. If the gameplay was traditional SMT it'd easily be one of the best.
Which is why it is a shame that 2's writing is weaker, because Raidou 1 is honestly a high standard as far as writing goes in the entire Megaten franchise. Really hoping you'll like the gameplay improvements 2 has, I like 1 but I can agree I'd rather have press turn in Raidou 1.

He actually liked the writing a lot in Raidou 2 (moreso then Nocturne or Persona 3/4), but he didn't play the first one so I dunno.
I didn't say it was bad, I said it was weak compared to 1, which as said, is a high standard. I think they're great games, the first game's gameplay is not great though, but 2 proves to me that the experiment finally worked and I'm sad we're probably never seeing that get expanded.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
New Final trailer. World map certainly looks better this way.

Reactions: BeatNinja
Speaking of Final. Boxart: Look who it iiiiis

SMT-IV-F-Key-Viual-768x1024.jpg

Surprising absolutely everyone.

Has Atlus USA even acknowledged that this game exists yet? Was hoping we'd have a decently close release like with IV.

Atlus USA has a Twitch stream up right now and are taking questions.

I asked about Final's release plans and they said there currently are none, but "We hope we will have something to announce soon", so, doesn't sound like it will a quickly released localization.

Lame. I was hoping for like a Summer release but who knows.

The only reason I can imagine it not releasing by summer would be that they dropped it to do P5 and get that out first as soon as possible.

As excited as I am for P5, I would be rather annoyed. Anyway, I would say early-mid summer doesn't seem like a terrible estimate.

My Japanese is fucking garbage but the keyword for this week is サタン, the article talks about his relation to Demiurge and Lucifer and seems to imply that Final may have these characters confront each other in some way, so I was actually wrong earlier, and I am pretty happy about that.
We're never getting Satan back, are we?
http://megaten4f.jp/topics/299/ if anyone else wants to take a crack at it, the other keyword this week was "Mysticism".

Raidou 1 story spoilers

I got to the uh. The uh THE GIANT FUCKING BATTLESHIP MECH TERRORIZING TAISHO ERA JAPAN. Raidou, Narumi, and Gouto stare off into the flaming ocean like 'well there's somethin ya don't see everyday' and I'm sitting on the fucking floor in my shitty pajamas like

SMTIV story spoilers, but there's other Final news:

And weirdly enough, Jonathan and Walter are a part of the story and can freely turn back to their human forms whenever...? I thought Walter was perpetually Luci's wrist fetus.

Source

I don't think it's that black and white, those fusions were referred to being death by the entities involved, the article says they take the form of that person and has some memories and bits of that person, I imagine that it's not just flat out those characters.

Hell, Jonathan and Walter were still part of the consciousnesses in IV, Walter says you're still his friend and laments the fight (fuzzy memory at best here) where Jonathan says something along the lines of "I guess casualries are scum after all". They were still there, though somewhat warped since they were then only a fraction of a personality.

Being able to flat out appear as those bodies with no distinguishing marks would be dumb though. Also, Isabeau is trying to rescue Flynn from "Association of Gods" or something like that.

If it's just Persona Musou and not SMT Musou I'll fucking bust a vein.

If it's just Persona 3/4/5 Musou and not SMT Musou I'll fucking bust a vein.
the actual truth here
it should be noted that Persona and SMT ranked in different places on the poll
SMT was 9 and Persona was 10

Demi-Fiend and Raidou in literally any not shit fighting game when?

In other news.

Firstly, ew.
1447860173966.jpg
Secondly, new Odin is pretty cool.
1447861623010.jpg