• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

Still irks me seeing Miku in this. At least I can hear the full Heaven vocaloid remix song in this. It definitely has its own charm after listening a few times and I can sort of imagine it in a Project Diva game lol. Wonder if someone will start adding it through an edit.

Tbh, the game doesn't really give a lot of room to abuse the save anywhere mechanic. I mean, there's only two save slots.

And I like how the fusion system tries to go for what you want instead of a random selection deal.

I mean, I'd rather have a game that lets me save anywhere in case of the off change I pull my 3DS out of my pocket only to find the cartridge has popped out of the slot.

Tbh, the game doesn't really give a lot of room to abuse the save anywhere mechanic. I mean, there's only two save slots.

I found myself saving a lot mid dungeon. Not much danger in doing it, since it's not like you won't be able to escape most of the time.

I mean, I'd rather have a game that lets me save anywhere in case of the off change I pull my 3DS out of my pocket only to find the cartridge has popped out of the slot.

That's what "suspend" functions are for IMO.

Forgot to mention but I beat Persona 3 FES a while ago. First time playing it, hugely enjoyed. Liked Fuuka, Mitsuru and Aigis a lot more than I was expecting to. Fave chars were probably the first four of the group you meet tho, with mitsuru as a surprise favorite.

I completely missed the dates with Elizabeth since I barely played attention to requests at the start of the game. Also never used any Fusion spells after the first couple you get. I was trying to fuse Thor to do the next one but didnt realise I needed to complete an entire social link that i had ignored in order to unlock it.

Reselecting fusions to try and get all the right skills you want to pass on was probably my main fault the game. It just felt like a pointless obstacle to getting the build I'd wanted when i'd already done all the work choosing and grinding the reactant personas. As I understand thats changed in Persona 4, hopefully it stays that way for 5. The other low point for me was probably the entire month towards the end of the game you're given to
'decide whether you want to kill Ryoji or not'
. It was just really boring and a drag. I get that there are story reasons why that point of the year needed to feel depressing, but it was enough to make me stop playing for a while where i'd been pretty engrossed in the game the entire time.
Also Nyx was really easy for me, I stupidly max leveled myself, thinking that lvl100 would be a sensible place to stop, not realising I'd hit a level cap. duh

I've seen cars from the 50s with more modern mechanics than Nocturne
I want those 20 hours back and no amount of "but it gets better once you get to [x]!" will make me not hate it with all my power

Nocturne I played recently and I still found it great. I will be quick to admit it has a ton of faults, but I personally enjoyed it. Not gonna tell you to go back and finish the rest of it, though XD

To be honest, I still think Nocturne is one of the better games. Despite the more smoothed out mechanics of games like SMTIV and Persona 4 Golden, I don't think Nocturne is that bad compared to them.

I swear we need a Golden-esque remake of Nocturne or something to reinvigorate the rest of the franchise. Despite IV, I still think the Megami Tensei line has been mostly dead in the water, and SMTxFE, based on current reception, doesn't seem to be the game to bring it all back. I love persona and all, and Persona V looks to have some sick atmosphere, but I don't know yet if its quite the game to reignite the series, or continue to drag the name in the dirt like I feel Q did

no amount of "but it gets better once you get to [x]!" will make me not hate it with all my power
It gets better like 2 hours in, it's a good game that you didn't like, and that's fine. Hating it seems rather extreme though, but whatever, your opinion.

I swear we need a Golden-esque remake of Nocturne or something to reinvigorate the rest of the franchise
Atlus talked to Sony about a PSP port of Nocturne a long time ago and Sony shot it down, wish someone would have brought it up for the Vita at any point, we need Raidou edition.

It gets better like 2 hours in, it's a good game that you didn't like, and that's fine. Hating it seems rather extreme though, but whatever, your opinion.
what right have you to tell me what's a good game and what isn't
what right have you

English Nanako and Margaret Trailer are up:

Also here is the full version of Hatsune Miku's Heaven:

Reactions: SanoBaron
Nanako got a new VA too, yeah? She sounds really bad.

it's the same one.
I think her regular VA is just not used to doing Nanako's voice for extensive lines.

Reactions: Jutsei
Honestly, classic P4 Nanako always sounded like she had a cold
which
somehow made her sound better
now she sounds like Aigis trying to imitate a human child

Reactions: Stairwayyy
I am dead serious when I ask if they changed voice directors.

because this cast should not be having these problems.

I've seen cars from the 50s with more modern mechanics than Nocturne
I want those 20 hours back and no amount of "but it gets better once you get to [x]!" will make me not hate it with all my power
How many times have you said this? Nocturne doesn't take 20 hours to start getting good, you're thinking of Final Fantasy XIII. But if you are looking to play Nocturne with less bs and an equally compelling (or in my opinion, better) story go play Digital Devil Saga 1&2.

Hey I like the Digital Devil Saga games
i played and beat both of them because they aren't shit kidding~

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
How many times have you said this? Nocturne doesn't take 20 hours to start getting good, you're thinking of Final Fantasy XIII.
Yeah the intro alone to Nocturne is really compelling.

The Miku one is noticeably absent, but that might be because it's still too early. At least that confirms they are adding the anime music in the localization which had a risk of not coming over due to license issues considering localized Ultimax never got all the music dlc. A lot of the dlc are either free or $1-$2 separately [exception of course being the Adachi//Marie song] so at least it's not Miku tier wallet milking where the costume costs alone dwarfs the current P4D dlc total.

Still waiting them to announce this for dlc since it really stood out in the P4G anime. Light up the Fire is still missing too. At least add the P4 version since it still fits the P4 themed mold.

^ Get hyped for more P4 spin-offs lol. Feels like deja vu with the last one they did. P4G anime, P4 Dance, P4 Ultimax, PQ, and of course P5

September 17

• 20:00 – Countdown program begins.
  • 21:00 – Broadcast begins. Featuring voice actress Tomomi Isomura and freelance writer Mafia Kajita.
  • 22:00 – Lotus Juice’s Backside of the TV Radio. A radio-style music web program featuring Lotus Juice where listeners can enjoy the music of the Persona series.
September 18

• Various Persona-related contents planned.
September 19

• 10:00 to 14:00 – Countdown from the Makuhari Messe at the Tokyo Game Show.
  • 14:30 to 15:30 – Atlus Presents Persona Special stage – In addition to a mini-concert featuring popular Persona artists Kawamura Yumi, Lotus Juice, Hirata Shihoko, and DJ Waka, the stage will also be a talk show featuring the Persona Stalker Club’s Tomomi Isomura and Mafia Kajita.
http://gematsu.com/2015/09/persona-channel-tgs-2015-live-stream-announced

They also recently announced a P4 Pachinko

Have a feeling even with P5 they won't stop chasing the golden goose.

Man, I can't wait for one of the countdowns to be for the P5 trailer we've already seen.

To be fair, it looks more immediately open and not trying to just milk the franchise as much as the Konami pachinkos recently. It's got features and tries to recreate the feelings from the games and anime. I mean, its still a bit ridiculous, but I respect it infinitely more for actively showing how it works and basically showing off its another way to milk the franchise. Eh, whatever, I guess my whole view of pachinko is a bit stupid anyways.

not trying to just milk the franchise
Who would ever suggest they tried to milk Persona 4?

Who would ever suggest they tried to milk Persona 4?
I sense sarcasm, considering we have 2 P4 animes, 2 fighting games, the abomination that is Persona Q, and now a pachinko XD

but I meant that it seems to be following the general trend of said milking to be of high quality and not just throwaway.

I sense sarcasm, considering we have 2 P4 animes, 2 fighting games, the abomination that is Persona Q, and now a pachinko XD

but I meant that it seems to be following the general trend of said milking to be of high quality and not just throwaway.
hey man... Persona Q is fun.

and I will say they are milking it a bit, but not as hard as people make it out to be.

like, I could imagine them making another Arena game during P5's life cycle, which wouldn't be a bad thing imo.

g the general trend of said milking to be of high quality
Are you suggesting the anime is high quality? Granted, I haven't seen Golden so I can't speak to that. P4 itself was pretty low quality in general in my opinion though.

Outsourcing the Arena games to Arcsys was a good idea, I'll grant you that, can't speak to Q.

and I will say they are milking it a bit, but not as hard as people make it out to be.
Yes and no. I think people seem to think there were more games, etc. than there were but they have used P4 as their branding tool ever since and I'd certainly say that qualifies as milking. I was pretty shocked when P5 was revealed and wasn't just P4 2.

another Arena game
I wish we could get an arena game with more than just P3/P4 characters.

But PQ is actually a good game.
I'd have to disagree. Poor managing of menus, making certain aspects of the combat, namely All Out Attacks and Downs random, the persona system not being altered enough to work with you having 16 characters, the persona compendium not having a wide enough range of personas per level group to accommodate multiple different strategies.

The game makes a buncha mistakes that could be glossed over in previous games, namely the persona compendium, but since you have 16 slots for personas and 16 characters, you don't have any room to keep spares for fusion fodder nor can you keep a set strategy for all your party memebers constantly. The lack of scape goat personas is noticable here and the system only letting you bring up certain skills chosen based on the personas used and the compatibility is a step backwards from SMT IV and 4 Golden. It heavily restricts what I can use and in doing so ruins a lot of possible synergy in my party. Not being able to hold extras like in Persona 2 and 1, by leaving then with Igor, Margaret, I think was something they should have had in. You can't swap personas mid-fight anymore, though, which I think was smart with the combat direction, but that also feeds into restricting your party's options. The game really needed more persona slots.

The skill card system, while returning, doesn't help as much since personas level up noticably slower than characters, instead of being the character's level. This means that grinding for skill cards is even more difficult to keep in a decent level range and the skill cards are still based on the persona itself, not you selecting which move you'd like to take from it. Yes this is understandable why they do it like that, but because of this, and the enormous price it takes to get the skill card, it becomes taxing and monotonous to get skill cards to get the setups I want permanently seated on a character.

Honestly I like Zen, but Rei annoys me. She's epitomizes many of my story issues with the game. Her jokes are all one-note. Food pun food pun food pun food pun food pun. That's all she really spouts aside from needing to be told how things work and the whole romance with Zen thing. In the game, a lot of the jokes come as references to the games. You got a ton of jokes poking at Yukiko's laughing fits and Chie's love of meat, and almost too many of Teddie jumping in to score with the girls that they start to stop it. There are some good and unique jokes in there, but entirety of the P4 side seems to drown itself in reminding us that these were ppl from Persona 4, instead of playing off their character more.

The P3 cast fairs a lot better with fairly accurate characters and actual interactions, as well as their personalities rubbing well with the P4 cast once those start happening. Though, they totally screwed up Akihiko. The cool-headed fighter who was focused on his training to better himself and save others? The man who loved fights but understood restraint as part of a group? That guy is gone. Instead we get an even more ridiculous and protein-loving version of the Persona 4 Arena Akihiko. And it's really sad, cause it drowns out a lot of the interactions with Shinjiro, who finally gets to get a lot of time to interact with everyone, and I feel they did him well. Y'know, when he isn't being dragged off every 3 lines to deal with Akihiko.

In combat, Downs and All-Out-Attacks being random is stupid. Utterly stupid. While you can increase or guarantee AOA by downing all your enemies and/or getting your full party to Boost Mode, a new mechanic, you can't guarantee downs. Binds are ok. They're a bit annoying and the rate for them at times is ridiculously low, but its nothing completely game destroying. The combat, actually, overall was quite well done. The only real killer is the down changes, since it then encourages using weaknesses to go into boost mode, which makes your next skill cost nothing, in order to use one of your really powerful attacks, instead of using weaknesses to slow the opponent down or get an advantage over them. It makes the game a bit repetitive since then everyone but status effect, buff/debuff and insta kill users would just use 'low cost skill A' to then be able to throw out 'high power skill B' with no cost.

I'd just want the P5 characters. included too.
Raidou and Demi-Fiend alone should be fighting game characters in general.

Reactions: North888
well, i mean, Rei does have a reason she likes food so much.
;-; a very sad reason.

Behind the scenes with Valerie Arem (Naoto)

and Matt Mercer (Kanji)

free us from this endless cycle of p4 atlus

i'm ready to be empancipated
Yes, and then you'll be taken into the P5 cycle for the next 7 years.

Freedom! (Promotional Poster)
COmLpEBVAAAEXYA.jpg
P5 WILL appear at the Tokyo Game Show!
TGS-2015-Schedule-Ver.-1.png
It will be live streamed here: https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/ or here: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv233844999

Edit: Genei Ibun Roku #FE News
  • Set to launch in Japan on Dec 26th, 2015
  • First pre-order copies come with DLC costumes:
    Atlus-FE-Costumes.jpg
  • For those of you that don't recognize the last costume, it's the princess class from Etrian Odyssey III
    18henqpwv2n8fjpg.jpg
  • Two editions, regular and Fortissimo” edition will cost 9,698 yen ($80 US) and contain the following:
    • A special box illustrated by toi8 (the game’s character designer).
    • An original art book with various concept art and designs.
    • Original costume DLC codes (Fashion Show set, Girls Swimsuit Set, Boys Swimsuit Set).
    • Original soundtrack CD with 6 songs carefully selected among the game’s vocal tracks, including Kiria’s “Reincarnation” (by Yoshino Nanjo).
    • A ticket to the Genei Ibun Roku #FE live concert in Japan.
    • Fortissimo-Edition.png
  • If this is the final box art, I really like it:
    bMNUvBI.png

Last edited:
So we got pre-order costumes of Flynn, the MC of Devil Survivor 2, Rei from Q, and the Royalty/Princess class from Etrian III...

I mean, its not a bad lineup, but I was half expecting the Demi-Fiend's human outfit as a funny little costume. Maybe it'll be an easter costume then, who knows? XD

Overall, yah, the boxart looks good. I'm not nearly as drained about the game as I was before, so I expect good news from the crossover.