• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

idk what you mean man
FE has like
two
red lions
there's even a king of red lions

idk what you mean man
FE has like
two
red lions
there's even a king of red lions
I can kind of understand why they went with red. I mean, most other colors would either make Ryoma's design look bad, or generic as fuck.

i guess they thought it woulda been hokey if he had white armor like his pop

i guess they thought it woulda been hokey if he had white armor like his pop
Ryoma's armor would look terrible if it was white.

I fail to see how that makes the game any better.
I fail to see how putting them on the ps4 would make them better.

EO 4 is like the best rpg in forever and putting it on the wii would have not made it inherently better.

EO 4 is like the best rpg in forever and putting it on the wii would have not made it inherently better.
PS4 has better hardware than the Wii or DS for one thing. And don't tell me they wouldn't take advantage of it because they clearly are for P5.

I didn't say it would, @Nap1400 had a complaint about the hardware limitations, which do exist, and @SanoBaron for a reason I do not understand responded with "Yeah, well the handheld sold a lot".

I prefer RPGs on handheld for some very obvious reasons, but that doesn't mean there is no hardware limitation and it doesn't make sense of that argument. You're reading things I didn't say.

I didn't say it would, @Nap1400 had a complaint about the hardware limitations, which do exist, and @SanoBaron for a reason I do not understand responded with "Yeah, well the handheld sold a lot".

I prefer RPGs on handheld for some very obvious reasons, but that doesn't mean there is no hardware limitation and it doesn't make sense of that argument. You're reading things I didn't say.
I'm not, I'm just making sure that no one thinks "console power=better entries". Bloated budgets, a lack of familiarity with the hardware and team manpower are more than enough reasons for niche self contained rpgs to stay on the handheld

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
plus there's also like
sales trends and shit
that can determine whether or not something sells well on certain platforms

Countdown for trailers, mega events just to say the launch date... Boy, weird times

Something about that countdown looks really good visually. It makes me excited for the art style/direction for Persona 5.

I really dislike these countdowns, but I'm happy there's finally going to be news other than "it's delayed".

the optimism of this thread. oh, I'm chocking on how much there is.

In fairness I don't think anyone isn't optimistic about the game's quality.

It's just hard to be hype for it when we get info like every 6 months.

there's a difference between optimism and hype you know.

like, after seeing the past few pages of the thread, it's more glass half empty than full.

there's no reason to be optimistic for JRPGs
they're a dying genre that can't support themselves as its own industry anymore

Translation: Final Fantasy X Killed my Father and I spend every year casting a voodoo curse on JRPGs in hopes it will die

JRPGs made me start seeking means of becoming a mad god so that I could burn down my house and give my worthless son a reason to go out and do something with his miserable life

show that love by traveling back in time to kill the eldritch force mindcontrolling me/exonerates me of all my wrongdoings

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
someone decided to hack the persona channel and make a fake july release date and say ps3 version was canned in favor of pc

i don't know if i want to punch them or applaud them

I wouldn't mind Atlus bringing their self-developed games to PC, but not like that. Thankfully, the ruse was uncovered fairly quickly, so hopefully nobody in the media's moronic enough to take the hack as fact.

Considering Atlus wants in on that Sony money, I'd be hard pressed to believe they'd port Persona to PC anytime soon.

Considering Atlus wants in on that Sony money, I'd be hard pressed to believe they'd port Persona to PC anytime soon.
You haven't paid attention then. Sony has shown outright support for PC this gen since they don't consider it competition.

Not that Atlus is going to port the game anyway.

Are they? It seems like a sustainable niche. Unlike some other genres I like *sob*

You haven't paid attention then. Sony has shown outright support for PC this gen since they don't consider it competition.

Not that Atlus is going to port the game anyway.
okay then show me Bloodborne on PC.

right now.

Think about all the series that have flatout died or moved to handheld or, more notably, mobile in the past few years.
It might not seem too weird, but it's actually really interesting to see how many JRPGs just could not make the leap to next-gen following the fifth and sixth generations of consoles. Think about all the RPGs you like on the SNES, now the PSX, now the PS2, and then think about the PS3 and its contemporaries. Not as much, right?
Think about the DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita, and how many more are on those now (and mobile)

Consoles are a wasteland for notable JRPGs because it's just too expensive without being gutter trash (Neptunia), riding and dying on reused assets (Tales of), or just saying "fuck it" and putting out something looks like a Vita game (Trails of Cold Steel)

the games that are engineered to sell consoles are the ones that really stick to it. The easiest example I can give is that SMT is on mobile (because its fanbase has jobs) and Persona is on console (because its [teenage/young adult] fanbase do not have jobs)

this is different in the west but the western market has little interest in much beyond Final Fantasy and a few other series.

this was v incoherent but it's the best I can describe it in the morning

okay then show me Bloodborne on PC.
I didn't know we were pretending SFV and Helldivers don't exist, or the Skullgirls 2E content, have you seriously missed every time an LZ employee has talked about this?

I didn't know we were pretending SFV and Helldivers don't exist, or the Skullgirls 2E content, have you seriously missed every time an LZ employee has talked about this?
and do you know the difference between console exclusivity and console deals?

like, Persona has always been on Sony consoles, so I would assume Sony of Japan likes the main series bringing in a specific set of JRPG fans.

like, name ONE Persona mainline game that is on a console that isn't made by Sony.
remakes count too. have you ignored everytime Kamiya says "ask Nintendo" everytime someone asks for Bayo 2 to be ported to PC or other consoles?

have you ignored everytime Kamiya says "ask Nintendo" everytime someone asks for Bayo 2 to be ported to PC or other consoles?
You lost me here, I pointed out Sony published PC titles and your retort is Nintendo doesn't publish games not on Nintendo consoles when we're not even talking about Sony published games.

I'm saying that just because some companies have no problem with them being on PC, that doesn't mean they aren't gonna still make console exclusivity a thing. Like, they apparently have no problems with spinoffs and side stories being multiplatform, but none of the mainline games have been on any ting besides Sony platforms.

Console exclusives sell consoles after all.