• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Beta Aug 5th Patch Discussion

Uhh, pls go test it out on the beta version to make sure it's OK now. It's what the beta's for!
OK I tested it. Anti air L Luger > dash OTG c.LK s.MK works on Parasoul from way further away on beta than on retail. That's really really really nice because it was annoying how the knees would just not hit and also none of the other medium buttons would hit either. I am glad this was fixed, thank

Reactions: havick9 and gllt
OK I tested it. Anti air L Luger > dash OTG c.LK s.MK works on Parasoul from way further away on beta than on retail. That's really really really nice because it was annoying how the knees would just not hit and also none of the other medium buttons would hit either. I am glad this was fixed, thank

(OTG cLK cHP step microdash sLP)
((good shit on getting us consistent sMK tho <3))

Reactions: gllt
Far range tear is not 3F.
Close range tear sLP is 3F.
Close range tear LK is 2F
Close range tear MP is 1F.
s.MP is 10f startup, s.LK is 8f startup. There is no universe in which the difference between those links is 1f, because the difference in startup is 2f! s.LP is 7f, so it gives you 1f more than LK.
If tear to MP is 1f, then tear to LK is 3f, and tear to LP is 4f. By definition.
Ergo she is not doing 2f links in BnBs, and she's still able to combo close Tear Shots into LP and LK.
It's really hard to talk to you about this stuff because strong opinions are not the same as facts...

s.LP is 7f, that gives a 3f window; s.LK is 8f, that gives a 2f window
It's really hard to talk to you about this stuff too because I accidentally go off of what the guy who made the game posted.

Next time I'll check, my b.

well ok, no buffer. that is okay. the character feels like she's in a pretty okay spot regardless other than M soldier feeling slightly underwhelming as a tool.

It's really hard to talk to you about this stuff too because I accidentally go off of what the guy who made the game posted.
Next time I'll check, my b.
Trust the game, not some dude on a forum. :^P

well ok, no buffer. that is okay. the character feels like she's in a pretty okay spot regardless other than M soldier feeling slightly underwhelming as a tool.
I'm still considering a buffer, I just don't like the attitude of Parasoul players I guess. :^S

let's be honest, you didn't exactly set good precedent for players suggesting things when you gave squigly a raging demon

Reactions: softie and havick9
let's be honest, you didn't exactly set good precedent for players suggesting things when you gave squigly a raging demon
Or when's Annie.

give big band a hurricane kick

edit: what if big band's jMK had some projectile invincibility or whatever
just the clarinet part

Last edited:
Smash meme approved

Reactions: softie
This is a more for fun thing rather than anything concerning balance, buuut.....

Can it be made so that we press a certain input to choose our victory animation for when we win a match? Like if I win with Filia and I no longer can move/attack, I can press qcf pp to get her Fukua Idle pose, or qcb pp to get one of the two Samson poses, etc.

Hopefully this made sense. I'll edit it tomorrow when I get more sleep lol.
This already exists for all characters.
Hold a button to select a winpose.

Ex:
MP for Fukua is run off screen and LP is lay down + drills.

LP MP HP LK MK HK to pick one of Eliza's six costumes.

Reactions: Lawnalog and Nine
@Mike_Z its ok, i also think she doesn't really needs a buffer, just though giving people a reason to use that special more often.

Another idea i just though for it is it being a keep away teleport, just some little steps back not a full screen teleport.

Again we can totally live without that change if its too good or if it requires a ton of balance adjustments.

Yeah this basically never works for me
Idk I literally only tried it for like 5 minutes and could get it down consistently. It's probably worth practicing for a bit since it seems to let you convert off LK lugar from pretty far away without an assist or meter. The trick seems to be to hit the c.LK at the apex of the knockdown bounce to get the maximum c.HP bounce height.

Reactions: cloudKing211
I'm not sure if this would actually affect balance or not since this involves the Penguin Referee. However, I noticed both Airwulf and Wulfamania can end with the Penguin ref if you have 3 hype, you end on Canis Major Press and you basically already won. Thing is, Wulfamania using hype to perform your chain throws means that if you do anything more than Headbutts/Knee Jabs, then it won't show up if you do a Canis Major Press. Would it be too much to ask for the Penguin referee to show up if you started Wulfamani at 3 hype, regardless of if you did more than one throw?

Reactions: havick9
alright time for some new robo stuff

here's a cool new combo robo can do now but it's inconsistent
sometimes the missile causes bursts and sometimes it just misses

also you can do some corner crossunder stuff with the saw's vacuum now
only works on squigly, fortune, cerebella, filia, parasoul, double, fukua, robo
doesn't work on big band, eliza, peacock, painwheel, valentine, and beowulf
this list is the same for the people robo can't dash under after mine because of their hitboxes/bounce height

oh yeah, there's this thing
sHP x mine starts combo stage 5 sometimes

Idk I literally only tried it for like 5 minutes and could get it down consistently. It's probably worth practicing for a bit since it seems to let you convert off LK lugar from pretty far away without an assist or meter. The trick seems to be to hit the c.LK at the apex of the knockdown bounce to get the maximum c.HP bounce height.

yeah, it's more for L-luger at range than H-Luger AA.

Reactions: gllt and mcpeanuts
@havick9
For that last one.

Stage 2 sHP > Mine collision
Stage 3 Mine detonation while opponent is grounded during hitstop
Stage 5 Opponent is launched into an air state thus starting a new chain.

If you hit jab during stage 3, it doesn't advance the stage to 5.
If you always delay your jab you'll get stage 5 consistently.

Reactions: PME and Kai
First 2 vids are private.
asdlfjsdlfkj oops
should be good now

Edit:
@havick9
For that last one.

Stage 2 sHP > Mine collision
Stage 3 Mine detonation while opponent is grounded during hitstop
Stage 5 Opponent is launched into an air state thus starting a new chain.

If you hit jab during stage 3, it doesn't advance the stage to 5.
If you always delay your jab you'll get stage 5 consistently.

Last edited:
The second half of the video was just AA LK Lugar conversions, in case you just watched the first 10 seconds or so.

weird
Oh okay that's weird as hell yeah.

I'm not sure anymore, I didn't get that when I tried :S

When I looked at it frame by frame, you can see it go from 2 > 3 for a split second > 5
I'm not sure why sometimes it doesn't advance, it might be something to do with sHP's hitstun.

Edit:
Yeah, not happening for me either.
WELL, the bug is that it WOULDN'T have you end up as stage 5 at some point when chained into, so I can easily fix that by having that hit force you to stage 5. :^)

Yeah and you only need the microdash post-step on small characters like squig/filia/etc
Band and all that will always be in range

edit: also someone summon isavulpes to finish off mike, we've almost done it, parasoul players.

Nice girthy patch.

Doesn't seem like Cerebella's Grab Bag is getting fixed at all. Here's her getting grabbed out of it, though. If it really isn't a bug cool, but it seems like a thing that shouldn't happen. I've had this happen after setting people up for a grab bag reset.

So...no more double jump fuzzy for Robo. Man, I was just practicing that, sad :(
The Painwheel and parry changes look pretty cool, though. They deserve buffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: havick9
Not sure if this has ever been suggested but:
For PS: Tear detonation nullifying other projectiles.
It's been on my mind since for forever. Too strong? idk.

I understand the tear toss nerf, it was a very good tool in neutral and it wasn't very risky at all to throw out.

But still, a minor buff to compensate would be nice. I don't think the character overall needed a nerf.

Could the range of ground H Bypass be increased? This is just because it can whiff sometimes at the end of a combo if you do LPx3, MPx2, cr.MK, HKx3, H Bypass from near max range. Using MK instead of cr.MK helps slightly but even then it will still whiff if the chain is started from far enough away. Since I don't think ground H Bypass is really used outside of combos this shouldn't cause any problems (that I can see at least) other than making combos a bit more consistent.

EDIT: Did a little bit of testing and it whiffed for me vs Ms Fortune and Filia/Fukua.

Last edited:
Just some initial thoughts about the Tear>jLP interaction.

I'm not happy with it (whoa who could have guessed), not because of the whole TK tear>jLP thing but because of how that interaction is used in other spots of her game plan. For example, most of her corner and midscreen tear based combos or at least the ones I, and others I've seen used, do not work at all now. And jLP being the only button that can really combo from jMP tear (jLK kinda works but it puts parasoul in a position that limits how the tear is used making the link kinda unnecessary in the first place especially since jMP,JLK link anyway) that really limits some options in terms of damage/resets. If you want I could probably make a video of side by side things of places the interaction between tear and jLP is used other than in TK situations I would gladly. However, Just some initial thoughts from some time in the lab.

• One solution could be to have the tear itself whenever it is TK'd (or below some point on the screen etc.) regardless of whether it's held or not stay small.
  • Another could be, although it might be hard to do idk, to differentiate when a tear is used in that manner versus not?
  • One last one could be that if the tear is thrown out of something or cancelled into that it would not receive this effect from that interaction? but that would require checks and things and that would be dumb Masq why are you so stupid.
I personally think that because the interaction is used in so many other situations besides TK tear>jLP, that penalizing that interaction (tear and jLP) as a whole is maybe not the best solution. I was wondering who, if anyone, would also agree with this sentiment.

You've probably already thought of this i.e. Beta. However, I just thought it would be beneficial to the conversation as a whole while we're here.

That being said I think the idea of it is fine, the whole nerfing how long she has to confirm off that stray hit at neutral. And this isn't just a "muh cherecter got nerfed time to appease lerd mikez" so I get to do the stupid things that i deserve to be able to do thing. I just think it affects another part of her gameplay that seem completely fair and have nothing to do with that specific situation.

Last edited: