• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Beta Aug 5th Patch Discussion

My tear is doing pretty ok for some reason dunno about you Masqman

I'm supposed to be getting little tears, right?

My jLP detonated TK tear has ~48F of hitstun.
My jHP detonated TK tear has ~48F of hitstun.

Hitboxes do not match the streams little tears.
Others are reporting not getting the change.

Last edited:
hey it would be cool if big bands jmkx2 did less hitstop the more its used in a combo so that it looks like the claricopter is pulling him down faster

Actually I'm not sure I want that.

Also there's a bug with j.hk. If I do raw j.hk and hit it as low to the ground as possible Big Band gets the 8f faster recovery despite it hitting. Also when I do that and tech forward depending on the screen position I don't get the wall bounce and can't convert off of it. Also when I do that I can't cancel it into Tympani Drive.

I think these are symptoms of a more general bug when characters transition from air to ground. As low as possible air normal canceled into air special or air super doesn't work with any character, Robo Fortune can't djc air normals when done as low as possible, Big Band used to be unable to parry while airborne but touching the ground, and probably more examples I don't know about.

Reactions: gllt
Does Robo have to lose overhead properties after djc on hit? I get when it's on block (stupid blockstring or w/e) but on hit it just makes me sad because now I just feel like there isn't as much of a point to djc (since they can just block low forever now not even djc air throw matters since all they have to do is block low and now just landing to throw is better than djc land then throw).

It kinda sucks that I do a falling normal after a djc on hit to then my overhead no longer matters so the opponent has no reason to stand up to let me fuzzy them by just rejumping and doing a normal again.

jMP jHK on hit djc jMK isn't a threat anymore since on hit you lose overhead properties too.

If it kept the properties on hit rejumping to fuzzy guard (plenty of characters do this they just do it either by waiting on hitstun or delaying a move after adc to then rejumping to overhead) would still be fine and if they block that part then they have no worry from more overheads if I djc then.

As opposed to "Oh I'll just block low since they don't have overheads anymore and I'm impossible to fuzzy guard even if they rejump"

Reactions: missingno
But still, a minor buff to compensate would be nice. I don't think the character overall needed a nerf.
> Tear Shot buffer

Not sure if this has ever been suggested but:
For PS: Tear detonation nullifying other projectiles.
It's been on my mind since for forever. Too strong? idk.
HOLY CRAP THEY DON'T!! That's hella a bug!
...in four years nobody pointed this out, and I thought they did because in very initial testing they did.
Let me see if I can fix that. Dayum. I guess it'd qualify as a buff but to me that's a bugfix.
:^S

I did read the rest of the posts.

That's not a buff.
If you play Parasoul, you know how to do tear shot links.
Making a 1f link into a not-1f link qualifies at least as a "minor" buff, regardless of how eliteist your attitude is. :^\ Making a 10f link into a 15f link, not so much.
(Not to mention that the buffer also guarantees you a first-frame button on block, while your opponent is not guaranteed that, so all situations after Shot become more advantageous for her.)

And just as a reminder
I don't think the character overall needed a nerf.
the important part is what I think. I'm very community-oriented, but at the end it's still my decision.
Remember how Bikes doesn't scale under 1k anymore, either.

I like to throw in Fortune gato loops as something that needs to be tweeked.
  1. It does 10210 1.0 damage ratio
  2. Can be done on every character except Peacock and Bella. With most characters you need to setup a fuzzy or burst bait while Big band can be done on him even while crouching.
  3. Gives Fortune a whole bar of meter
  4. Saves otg so she keeps her sliding knockdown
  5. It's a pretty boring combo

Here's the sequence for those who want to try it:

[j.HP > j.HK > H El Gato]x3 > j.LP/j.LK > j.HP > j.HK > H El Gato > (if HCH starter) do last string again with a the other light starter > ground string into super]

Reactions: Receita Federal
Making a 1f link into a not-1f link qualifies at least as a "minor" buff, regardless of how eliteist your attitude is. :^\ Making a 10f link into a 15f link, not so much.
(Not to mention that the buffer also guarantees you a first-frame button on block, while your opponent is not guaranteed that, so all situations after Shot become more advantageous for her.)

And just as a reminder

the important part is what I think. I'm very community-oriented, but at the end it's still my decision.
Remember how Bikes doesn't scale under 1k anymore, either.

I guess being able to do l shot, s.mp in the corner on everyone is some kind of buff.

But yeah, I know how it is.

Thank you for working on this patch even though the game is technically done.

git gud

Cool trick,
Didn't know Robo could hop like that =)

and is Fukua's M Shadow pushing away going to be permanent?
Because it cancels out about half of her stings and makes it a crap ton harder to punish peeps in the air. =P

Could the range of ground H Bypass be increased? This is just because it can whiff sometimes at the end of a combo if you do LPx3, MPx2, cr.MK, HKx3, H Bypass from near max range. Using MK instead of cr.MK helps slightly but even then it will still whiff if the chain is started from far enough away. Since I don't think ground H Bypass is really used outside of combos this shouldn't cause any problems (that I can see at least) other than making combos a bit more consistent.

EDIT: Did a little bit of testing and it whiffed for me vs Ms Fortune and Filia/Fukua.
I think something he would be more inclined to do is reduce the sliding range of HKx3

a few people mentioned this already but posting just to say that 1) just about everyone i talked to has this issue, seems pretty universal and 2) its not just lobbies its QM too

E2D84AD8C5D1D01F3B0D0FBD7ACEF268DEEFB707

Reactions: mcpeanuts
napalm trigger is weird imo
look at the fourth tear

just another small detail..

That's not a buff.

If you play Parasoul, you know how to do tear shot links.

But what do I know...

ya what would liam and i know about playing parasoul.

buffer feels really cozy and good. i think jLP doing small detonations in combos feels kinda off, however. in testing it broke basically every midcombo thing i used to do with it, rather than making it tighter like i thought

Last edited:
So my thoughts on Parasoul change.

I neither like it nor dislike it.

the hitstun reduction on j.lp detonation is ok? as long as the blast radius wasn't toned down then cool.

Ultimately, any other para player is free to say their bit. If the change gets reverted then cool. if we are to play with this experiment more then ok. I am neutral on it for now.

Edit: it does feel quite awkward at times in combos. some are completely broken.

the hitstun reduction on j.lp detonation is ok? as long as the blast radius wasn't toned down then cool.
Blast radius size and active frame duration(?) were reduced.
Didn't check duration but that's easy to look at.

It's the "end of tear timer" explosion.

oh god i have to learn new install combos now
thanks for the m buer changes mike much love <3

Last edited:
the parry window is ok
The parry window has (now) been the same since BB is released, btw. The only change here is how long you have to release the stick.

git gud
It's not about being good it's about complicating a character making it difficult for other players to even have access to an overhead. It's either that or the slow one.

I also think what I said is logically sound, the issue was a blockstring with several overheads that was difficult to pb. If it only works on hit then other players have the ease of access for the overhead option and the djc on block would still give you the same result still solving the several overhead blockstring that's hard to pb.

I'm totally fine with having this restriction on block, but Robo should still be able to reset high with djc. Not like her reset options were that great anyway, surely that did not need nerfing.

Thank for the BFF damage fix.

Thank you for the shadows coming out. I was either hoping for a timer extension or this. Either way, I'm happy.

Her shadow disappears on tag, hoping it's a bug but probably intentional.

Don't mind the level 3 nerf since I'm not one for rewarding mashing level 3s anyway.

If you want to make her like robo and give her a 2nd ball on dj (still following the rules of it coming back to you before next throw), I'm fine with that. :)

------

Robo

I'm fine with catering her to be more of a keep away commando/cyclops since I think that was your intended purpose for her. I still think her keep away is too strong but there aren't enough robo players for that to be seen.

----

Parasoul

Haven't played her yet, but changes don't seem to impact her too much anyways unless it's going over my head. I can't read numbers.

If you want to make her like robo and give her a 2nd ball on dj (still following the rules of it coming back to you before next throw), I'm fine with that. :)

nice, this one seems cool

Let squigly hold and cancel stance moves on alpha counter

git gud
Using ps3 controller Flicking up on the left thumb stick while sliding to up on the d-pad is the only way I find to do that over head consistently. How are you doing it so fast?

Using ps3 controller Flicking up on the left thumb stick while sliding to up on the d-pad is the only way I find to do that over head consistently. How are you doing it so fast?
It's practical to double-tap on stick.

With missiles and djc imo it should really be one or the other. I found it to be an obnoxiously good tactic to just do lv2/3 missiles then run up and j.MPMK c.LK vs j.MP djc j.LP and since each hit of j.MP has very little hitstop it was a really strong 50/50 that was hard to pushblock too (plus empty jump also baits pushblock).

Now Robo can't really turn missiles into a very good positive advantage because more often than not people will just run at you if you do the move, and even if she's able to do so using an assist, you don't really have a strong mixup (unless you do that caio hitbox tech). Low/throw is meh and w/o assist or meter you don't get anything off throw.

I don't really understand all the other Robo players here that said that it's ok for Robo to lose djc mixups because I thought those were her main mixups that really led to anything decent.

git gud
Ya lemme go get a hitbox so I can reliably do these UMVC3 Strider-esque overheads. Ok bro. Kappa

can confirm this is hard to do with a controller.

Ya lemme go get a hitbox so I can reliably do these UMVC3 Strider-esque overheads. Ok bro. Kappa

I've seen multiple Striders IRL do this on sticks. It's very possible even if it's difficult (dunno if it's easier in marvel or anything, I wouldn't know).

idk anything about doing it on hitbox/stick but I'm pretty sure caio said he does it by using left stick + dpad on pad, I thought it was secret pad tech

I don't really understand all the other Robo players here that said that it's ok for Robo to lose djc mixups because I thought those were her main mixups that really led to anything decent.

the idea afaik was that robo got a lot more reward for zoning, so her reward for getting close to the opponent was nerfed to compensate (damage and now djc mixups). i dont like it either (because i dont enjoy pure runaway robo) but i do agree she had to lose something and if people like zoning robo then that's pretty much what had to go.