• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

some people should legitmately not be able to see beta discussion threads or should be reviewed by a mod before a post can be seen here

wow talking shit about me passively and indirectly behind my back

let me rock

So I missed a pretty big week of beta.

As for the latest changes:

New super jump:

It makes Peacock's basic bnb much tighter and harder to execute. It makes my go to launcher combo with Peacock (yes I have one of those) much harder. Ms. Fortune's launcher combo (double j.lk ->j.hp)x2 is relatively unchanged. Ms. Fortune's otg launch combo now has time for an axe kick to restand now, which is nice. Big Band's bnb is surprisingly unchanged aside from having to be tighter during his rejump portion. So as far as my team goes it doesn't seem like it negatively impacts their combos aside from making them a bit tighter to hit.

So overall, a 10% super jump height increase doesn't really negatively impact me personally. People have been able to super jump and double jump over all of Peacock's planes before hand and they can still do it now. If anything, it gives me a bit more time until they land. I've never confirmed from the top of the screen very often so it hasn't hit me there either.
You can now super jump and then double jump heavy updo, napalm pillar, and can also super jump forever a clone medium. These are things I've always felt should have been possible so I'm actually in favor of this change, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if it were reverted.

Super jump momentum change:

I can now combo off of Peacock's new air throw by just drifting towards my opponent Melty Blood style and dropping the j.lk on them instead of having to air dash to get the same thing. So something marginally easier, but I could also do without it. It doesn't affect normal jump heights so, there's not much to say here. It doesn't affect my team as far as I can tell.

Launch height:

Having a different super jump height from launch height is actually a bit of an issue as it makes launcher combos harder needlessly. But adjusting the launch height to new super jump height makes a lot of combos much harder or impossible as opposed to moderately harder with the mismatched heights. The mismatch also makes launch ->air throw impossible. I think it's good to be able to catch your opponent sleeping, even if it is a really easy reset.

I propose that launch jumps be reverted to their old value. I say that because new launch heights would ruin combos, which I think most of us can agree have already been reigned in. If this creates what you would feel to be an unnecessary exception than I'd rather we just scrap the whole new super jump height.

I have no thoughts on assist vulnerability for now.
edit: Negligible difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: erkicman
Hi. I'm new for the Skullgirls and 2D fighting games. Why I'm here now is I worried development direction in this game. I don't want the game going to be more complex and get caught the innovator's dilemma.

I've never been playing beta, because what I must learn is in the actual game and still a lot. But yesterday I heard a huge change came to beta, superjump became more super, and then tried how it is.

At first, I tried my Squigly's easiest bnb combo in the training mode. Then, immediately I felt I don't like this and the game turned more difficult for no reason. The combo was still available but became more sensitive. So I thought if I want to keep stability and easiness, I must learn a new easier combo, but it will be dealing less damage. That means, the change makes the gap between beginners and veterans wider. I can still become experienced and performing the old combo, but the way became longer. I was discouraged. If the game aims only experienced 2D fighting game players, the change might be okay, but I don't think this game is so and I hope it's true.

Devs said the change makes more fun, I don't doubt it. I know I tested only my combos and almost all other people is the same I guess. So no one confirms how is the new neutral gameplay, etc. But... but the game is already difficult enough. I've played the game about 80 hours at now, but I'm still beginner level player. So anyway if those fun stand on complexity, I can't welcome it.

Reactions: SmashBlade
Hi. I'm new for the Skullgirls and 2D fighting games. Why I'm here now is I worried development direction in this game. I don't want the game going to be more complex and get caught the innovator's dilemma.

I've never been playing beta, because what I must learn is in the actual game and still a lot. But yesterday I heard a huge change came to beta, superjump became more super, and then tried how it is.

At first, I tried my Squigly's easiest bnb combo in the training mode. Then, immediately I felt I don't like this and the game turned more difficult for no reason. The combo was still available but became more sensitive. So I thought if I want to keep stability and easiness, I must learn a new easier combo, but it will be dealing less damage. That means, the change makes the gap between beginners and veterans wider. I can still become experienced and performing the old combo, but the way became longer. I was discouraged. If the game aims only experienced 2D fighting game players, the change might be okay, but I don't think this game is so and I hope it's true.

Devs said the change makes more fun, I don't doubt it. I know I tested only my combos and almost all other people is the same I guess. So no one confirms how is the new neutral gameplay, etc. But... but the game is already difficult enough. I've played the game about 80 hours at now, but I'm still beginner level player. So anyway if those fun stand on complexity, I can't welcome it.

The super jump beta change is only an experiment, and feedback like yours is what helps the developers decide whether or not to keep it. Mike never said that this change would make the game more fun, but wanted to test it out in the beta to see if it did. Several other players have issues with the super jump change, and it'll likely go through more changes in the beta to address their complaints. It may not even stay at all!

Since you said you tried out these changes yesterday, you might want to try updating the beta and playing again; super jump height has been lowered, so you may find it more comfortable than the last time you played.

Thanks for signing up to Skullheart to give your feedback, by the way!

Last edited:
KK dash input
-no advantage of no accidental pushblock when going for your reversal kk super. Please keep.

dang
would have liked some more time to play with the super duper jump.

Here is my feedback

1. 10% Extra SJ is fine, 55 was too much. Allows a little different neutral like jumping over certain things you used to not be able to.

2. Keeping the momentum control on the way down from a SJ is cool, and allows for slightly more vertical play, while not taking too much away from the horizontal play the game has developed.

3. Assist Vuln 3f : I am okay with this, but need to play more real matches to see how it really feels. 4 frames is too much I agree. Would like for this to stay in beta for a little while to see.

4. Painwheel flight buffs. Feels better than the previous SJ buff in combos and neutral, and doesn't changed certain Flight Cancel as drastically as before (Example: Reallllly had to delay 9jmk off of grabs for it to connect, not as much with the current changes.) Still have to test more in match.

5. Regularizing every weight class off a launcher: seems like a good idea in practice, but a lot of random tech off of launchers (raw or into certain combo strings into setups) gets removed this way. I am trying to find new tech (and will continue to as long as it stays in beta) but many things for every character gets changed because of this. There are air grab and crossup and 50/50 setups that are character specific that I can no longer do, and (I realize this is just whining) I am VERY sad/upset to see them go. I enjoyed weight classes being different, and now the only thing changing how to air combo is essentially enemy hurtboxes. Plus, I feel like it is intuitive for heavier characters to be launched less: It makes sense. I really like the idea of keeping the post launch jumps the same as they used to be as well as the weight classes going back to how they used to work but keeping the new SJ in.

edit 3: the editting : this idea I really like would be pretty optimal I THINK MAYBE. For certain characters to bring the opponent down to the ground, you now have to spend more undizzy than you used to. I am using Filia as an example again. It used to be that you could do jhk/jlk/jlp xx hk airball adc ground normal. That is no longer possible with the new 10% sj in combos because the adc off the airball puts you in the air. Now, I have to waste way more undizzy in normals just to reset them on he ground/just to get them to the ground. It costeda measely 35 undizzy with the jlk/lp into hk airball, allowing me to reset how I wanted in the route I wanted without sacrificing large amounts of undizzy, as opposed to 65 from launch jhk adc jlp jmp (95 if you used jhk ender) This is another thing, I know you say deal with it to people who lose certain combo routes and have to relearn timings or add a button in to stabilize, but sometimes the routes matter on a practical level where things cost less undizzy than other routes but achieve the same effects

6. Reversal timing being 2 frames on the instances where they were 4 frames: Please do not do this. Lets say I think Filia is going to reset after her jmp by fast falling after the first or second hit. I try to reversal, but miss it because she fast falls after 4 hits connect, making my reversal timing (insert invincible thing here) not come out. It's microsituations like those that I really want to be able to say, hey, I think you're going to reset me in this part of the combo, time to reversal. But then my reversal doesn't come out because the timing is too strict. I understand that this can be put in place to make "mashing" less of an option, but it jut feels really harsh. One of the things I love about SG is that generally, you are allowed to do what you want relatively easily, allowing for decision making and execution barriers to be easier. But this just feels like it is restricting the ease of my option (which is not even the easiest in the first place? 4 frame window is still a little tight, especially when there are so many ambiguous reset situations in the game where YOU have to guess AND time the reversal properly. At least that's what I get out of it.)

7. KK dash input: I also am strangely against this. I would be perfectly fine with seeing it go, but I guess it's okay if it stays. Whatevs (edit: I like my no accidental pushblock reversals)

edit 2: Also, IF you continue to normalize launch heights, why aren't ground bounce heights normalized as well @Mike_Z

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpeanuts
The change today was so much better! Definitely feeling it now.

Reactions: Mwisk
It's much better today, mostly because its so much closer to what it was before. I'm still confused as to how aerial movement adds anything to the game, someone please explain. Seems like peacock players will really suffer from the loss of rejump combos and the increased difficulty in zoning, and I'm still worried about preserving ground game, which I very much prefer to marvel style vertical game. However as long as there is re balancing to make super jumps high risk high reward, as well as buffing characters that suffer from this change, it could turn out alright.

Overall, I don't prefer this build, but the change as it stands doesn't fill me with despair like yesterday's build did. Like it scares me because it's new and different and I will differ to top players on this, but I could get used to the new super jump. It's kind of fun getting to put a couple extra hits in the air, and if it shortens combos that is imo a good thing and will encourage more resets, which are my favorite part of skullgirls.

Last edited:
Mike, if you want to shorten combos, you could increase damage scaling overall as well as the damage gap between the three attack strengths, so that the gap between a combo started with a light attack is much less than one started with a hard attack. It could make the neutral game more interesting by encouraging people to fish for hard reads with strong risky attacks, and force players to go for resets if they want to get the most out of their combos and meter. It wouldn't change the combo paths either.

Last edited:
It's much better today, mostly because its so much closer to what it was before. I'm still confused as to how aerial movement adds anything to the game, someone please explain. Seems like peacock players will really suffer from the loss of rejump combos and the increased difficulty in zoning, and I'm still worried about preserving ground game, which I very much prefer to marvel style vertical game. However as long as there is re balancing to make super jumps high risk high reward, as well as buffing characters that suffer from this change, it could turn out alright.

Overall, I don't prefer this build, but the change as it stands doesn't fill me with despair like yesterday's build did. Like it scares me because it's new and different and I will differ to top players on this, but I could get used to the new super jump. It's kind of fun getting to put a couple extra hits in the air, and if it shortens combos that is imo a good thing and will encourage more resets, which are my favorite part of skullgirls.

Rejump combos aren't much harder actually. They're just slightly stricter. Parasoul's super jump is a wicked bitch, but I think it's easy enough to adjust to that with time. I'll miss brass + plane being a guaranteed block though. But it's a small price to pay to be able to jump over dps.

The super jump beta change is only an experiment, and feedback likes yours is what helps the developers decide whether or not to keep it. Mike never said that this change would make the game more fun, but wanted to test it out in the beta to see if it did. Several other players have issues with the super jump change, and it'll likely go through more changes in the beta to address their complaints. It may not even stay at all!

Since you said you tried out these changes yesterday, you might want to try updating the beta and playing again; super jump height has been lowered, so you may find it more comfortable than the last time you played.

Thanks for signing up to Skullheart to give your feedback, by the way!
Yes, I knew the change is just for experiment and already passed through the beta. But I thought an impression from a beginner might be something worth and then wrote up my previous post. So, very thanks for your response!

I'll see the new slightly super superjump from now. ;)

Reactions: Apex
i cant play the beta unfortunately, but i honestly feel like the SJ change isnt really something that SG needs. the game feels great to play as is, plus i dont think that putting something into a game just because "i like to superjump in MvC" is a good reason for skullgirls to have it too.

id like to write in more detail but im knackered and going to bed.

I'm still confused as to how aerial movement adds anything to the game, someone please explain.

you can set up new air burst baits by adjusting your position while poking and drifting out of burst range. also you can kind of fall down ambiguously on top of people

Missed the 55% jump increase. Tested the 10% one.
brief impressions across beta changes.

Like the extra mobility especially for Squigly. The extra height doesn't feel too weird and i think i could get used to it. The 55% would make the game feel less like skullgirls in my untested opinion. Combo's seem to work fine. The extra height might make some resets I've been thinking of for my team easier to do, or may make them easier to read dono atm.

Appreciate the daisy pusher change. I'd prefer if charged tremelo was kept low, i think that helps more than the projectile invulnerability. If you really wanted something to have projectile invulnerability I'd suggest sbo after a lv2 sing but that's just me. I feel Squigly v Peacock isn't a fight worth fighting, I have Eliza on my team to compensate but I'm sure there are other Squigly players who would appreciate some help in that match.

I greatly appreciate Squigly's low profile normals and I really hope they stick, they should have been in retail a while ago. With all the tools in the beta I feel Squigly can go even against every character except Peacock and I'm ok with that. I'd just need some time to figure that match up to change my mind.

Happy Holidays. I'll chime in next year.

10% Super jump didn't affect Val combos that much.
Played only two sets against Lugon yesterday and today, and it was fine.
Bella combos are kinda weird if you're not cornering and are planning to do pummel horse/kanchou after c.mk j.mp j.hk s.hp, since holding a charge after you jump makes the j.hk whiff sometimes, so you have to hold the charge when it's almost hitting. Nothing that a little more training can't solve.
Fukua is fine, but some air to ground links (more specifically s.hp j.mk j.hp j.hk s.lp c.lp in some characters) are kinda harder to do, but I can live with it.

Ok... here are my (non-sober) inputs about these:

MVC2 High SJ:

Not a fan. It’s one of those things that will not only change the game in one aspect but in complete multiple aspects that will negative previous experience in many levels, not only combos, neutrals, metagame and how characters tools work needed to be revamped, also it feels less original, I love MVC2 and aspects about it, but

I love the VSav, GG, 3S influences in SG just as much and more. But I’d be totally okay when this presents itself as a whole new set of rules for future interactions of the game, which as an optimist and wholehearted supported I totally believe it’ll be a thing. So, I can take SG2 with this as a different approach, but again, I also like things to be unique, many mixed feelings.

New 10% SJ:

Feels good, and I think it’s serving the purposes of making SJs a more tactical decision in the game, the height and the trajectory changes seem like will evolve into important decisions/trades vs double jumping (assist option) vs. super jumping (harder to guess landing, better cover) which still allows you to regulate it (hit) and get different angles for combos, mixups, reset situations.

Assists 3f:

I still need more testing with this one. But the 4f window feel indeed too much. 2f window was ok in my book, but it also meant that you’d have to respect assists as both offensive and defensive tool, which I’m okay with it, a double snap, counter call, lockdown, etc. still hurts a lot in the long run. The 3f however seems to call a better judgment from both sides of the gameplay which is also respectable, but I think it’s important that assist are a thing to be a wanted advantage with fair trade. I also think 3f would weaken assists vs. solos, solos are currently at their best so far.

W/U, hitstun Reversals 2f:

Feels right, simply put, it’s a big reward that covers different options, without making the attacker return neutral or without weakening mixup/reset potential. The game has very safe DHCs and a fast meter building (comboing people give them more meter) that create teams with little to no reason to not do reversal into DHCs (which ironically the way to stop some of them is to show a lot of expertise and practice with a stricter window in pbgc), which is okay but dangerous, as it’s always the better option. And also since many hitboxes interacts behind characters some can cover multiple character options (which are there to cover other aspects of the game, pace, resources etc.). I feel that a hit also rewards the attacker with a better mixup potential, there was a failed moment in neutral (which can be addressed with practice, experience) and there’s also the opportunity to block and restate your ground (and things like PB, absolute guard and pbgc allows you to do it, maybe the absolute guard window could be 1f longer to compensate for the speed of the game, but I don’t even feel that’s truly necessary).

If you want an easier way, alpha counters could be used to this purpose, they take resources, add an option, are easier to execute but require you to make a good block. Alpha Counters could be a good easy route for escaping pressure, and I think the recent change already took a step into it (i.e. you don’t need AC specific assists, but I haven’t messed with enough to be sure). In general, this a high reward maneuver, it should involve a higher risk, execution-wise or something else (keep the window but make reversals take some meter?). I know that new fg players aren’t usually fond of this though, but a 2f window is waaaaay better than a 1f one, no one has to piano in SG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colossi
What is this 2 frame reversal thing?

Is it a thing? I must have missed it in patch notes somewhere.

What is this 2 frame reversal thing?

Is it a thing? I must have missed it in patch notes somewhere.
Reversals not after pbgc had 4f input buffer, yesterday it changed to 2f, just like it is after pbgc. I think.

Reactions: Dime
Reversals not after pbgc had 4f input buffer, yesterday it changed to 2f, just like it is after pbgc. I think.

And block too. Pbgc and regular block were 2f whereas wakeup and hitstun reversals were 4f.

Here I am back from work wishing I had some more time with super super jump the previous days, but alas, work. Before I go on and play around with the new, lower powered super jump, my thoughts on those changes before hand are as this.

I thought it was really cool for what I played around with in training mode (about an hour I guess), even though it was kinda funky and even frustating at times (because too used to the old stuff and thinking these things should link into these things, etc), and it rendered small launchers (ie Bella's c.mk, Big Band's s.mk) more... ineffective? I have no idea how to phrase it well, except that it was really odd and funky to deal with and make new combos with the super jump post-launcher, at least for my characters. I've heard of unchanged Ms Fortune and Squigs BnBs.

For midscreen BnB changes, I ended up replacing Bella's [otg c.lk c.mk, j.mp j.hk restand, c.mp c.hp, j.lp(rapid) j.hp restand, s.lp(x2) c.mp s.hk Copter Dynamo] with [c.mp s.hp, j.lp(rapid) j.HP restand, c.lk c.mp s.hp, runstop s.lp(x2) c.mp s.hk Copter Dynamo]. Small change. Nothing big. [j.mk j.hk restand] was rendered... ALMOST undoable. You had to double jump forward cancel right after the super jump to be at the correct height to do it. It wasn't just timing that was hard on it, it was something that I felt almost like luck doing it, because even if you did the double jump cancel, you had to be at a particular height window and you needed to maintain a full forward momentum for the followup to land and work.

Big Band was harder to his BnB partly in due to the height he was doing, and in his small launcher usage, s.mk. [j.mp j.hp j.hk] was rendered undoable on at least a few characters, ended up doing [c.lk s.mk(x1) s.hp, j.hp j.hk, tech (pretty hard and situational to get this following followup), otg c.hk Beat Extend H, j.lk j.mk restand, c.lk c.mk s.hk ATrainH/BrassH SSJ]. If one used c.mk instead of s.mk in the first chain, then it would've been j.mp j.hk the following chain, due to height. Also lost an air chain and a ground chain at the end because s.mk super jump broke it.

It made my Peacock launcher BnB nigh undoable (yeah I got one of those on medium to light characters, -without- an assist to catch the victim at the end of the second juggle, which became in my case Cerecopter. Peacock airgrab resets were harder to do and convert off of (item dropless), where I'd typically be just too high or low at my reset points.

Though I didn't get to play matches with it, suggestions if I wanted to make it work, which, I kinda do cause it was kinda fun and I could see potential for stuff?
Be able to have two jump heights post-launcher I guess. Regular jumps after small launchers, super jumps after heavy launchers. Alternatively, tap up for jump and double tap for super jump, post-launcher. And maybe do something to some launchers to give them a small launcher and heavy launcher version if you really want to go? Like, Peacock's s.mk for example and Big Band's s.hp could benefit from having a choice in launch height from a particular normal. A command normal maybe? Hell, Big Band could even have a blow effect from the big horn in j.hp and be a two hit or something, I dunno, I'm shooting the shit and ideas about that super jump cause maybe it could've been really rad.

I want to see this train of thought followed, even though it's an alien feeling and I was almost immediately revolted and frustrated while at the same time thinking that, it's really cool in concept and theory and I want to make this work. Plus I liked seeing MORE of the top of the stage, too. You don't see those portions too often.

Thoughts on my thoughts?
Meanwhile, I'll take to Beta soon to play around with the 10% super jump and stuff.

EDIT: The change does seem to screw over a lot of BigBand's combos though. HP > j.MP > j.HP doesn't work anymore and neither does MK > j.LP.

It actually works just fine if you change your timing. I'm not sure exactly what combo you're trying to do but I've gotten s.HP > jump > j.MP > j.HP > j.HK to work consistently with a little adjustment.

It actually works just fine if you change your timing. I'm not sure exactly what combo you're trying to do but I've gotten s.HP > jump > j.MP > j.HP > j.HK to work consistently with a little adjustment.
what character are you doing it on?

on filia, if i delayed it so the j.mp > j.hp connect, than the j.hk would whiff

I couldn't get it to work on val after like 10 minutes of trying, so I gave up and went back to retail where things work normally without weird as fuck timings

Reactions: dekillsage
With the new super jump height it's possible to do Ducks' corner carry on lights with Val but the timing is different. Not sure if it's necessarily harder since i"ve been practicing the retail version for 6 months and trying the new one for an hour or so.

Super jump momentum change:

I can now combo off of Peacock's new air throw by just drifting towards my opponent Melty Blood style and dropping the j.lk on them instead of having to air dash to get the same thing. So something marginally easier, but I could also do without it. It doesn't affect normal jump heights so, there's not much to say here. It doesn't affect my team as far as I can tell.
If this is true, it affects Peacock GREATLY, as it gives you back assistless combos after Airthrow when the Airdash is used up.
Previously in the Beta, something like Launch > jLK ad Airthrow would not allow you to combo, since you needed to do something like Airthrow > jMK ad jLK to get your hits after it.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/206369156117819303
General
- AWW YEAH new voices! Intros, wins, losses, and tags for older characters when interacting with DLC characters. Thank you wonderful voice actresses and Vince!
- Bugfix: Eliza's j.MK has correct blockstun for a Medium instead of a Hard. Thanks Claws!
- Bugfix: Hitstun bar displays after launchers, thanks whoever pointed that out.

Superjumps The Third

- Height is halfway between the last two, so like...25% higher than normal? :^P
- Hitting with an attack during a superjump cuts off half your velocity still.
- Launch height still unchanged.
- Big Band's j.HP and Cerebella's c.MK have been adjusted so that standard followups (j.HP->j.HK and c.MK /\ j.MP->j.HK) work after them with the new velocity.
- Painwheel's flight is the same as yesterday.
- Sekhmet's superjump is now controllable like everyone else's.

This one's sticking around for a bit because I'm off to play games (including this one!) and not work. Feels weird...

still dont like it, I could get used to 10% but this is bad again

Last edited:
Reactions: Apex
10% was basically no difference to retail besides steering, so w/e.

Reactions: Mr Peck
I'm interested in what the new dialogue is.

Give it a few minutes or so and I'm sure someone will have all of that uploaded on YouTube.

Winquotes:
Cerebella vs Beowulf "You can still sign my hat, right?" "You weren't goin easy on me, were ya?" It's interesting, cause both voices she sounds like you'd expect her to sound normally, that is, she doesn't sound like she's putting on a show like most of her other voice clips.
Big Band vs Beowulf "I'll admit... that was an enhanced performance." "Good game. Peace out." which I haven't heard before.
Peacock vs Beowulf "Haha, I always knew wrestling was real."
Filia vs Beowulf *Samson* "Hmph. They oughta crown you champ."
Val vs Beowulf "Aren't YOU quite the specimen."
Parasoul vs Beowulf "You served our cause back then(?!). You should just retire now." "Take him into custody." She sounds odd saying the second one, like it's a hassle for him to be out and about or something and she's not happy having to deal with it.
Double vs Beowulf "You shall be an example to the unworthy." "Foolish Buffoon. A false warrior."

Last edited:
I know Band's GG quote for Beowulf has been there since before this new batch of quotes, but I don't know about any others.

So we've got Beowulf lines but has anyone tried the other DLC characters yet to see if they have anything new?

So we've got Beowulf lines but has anyone tried the other DLC characters yet to see if they have anything new?
I don't know who didn't have lines before.