• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

So if that's the case any harm in trying it in beta? I mean if we don't like it then we could just revert it back.
I don't like it, and it was already tried waaaaaaaaay before the game came out.
I tried hold K, hold Up, tap Up, and tap K. I liked tap K because it happened accidentally the least.

is there any way from preventing bellas tumbling run and forward shoryu command throw after block from overlapping? when I try to grab someone out of blocking a string I get tumbling run instead of the command grab. Maybe make the command grab take priority?

is there any way from preventing bellas tumbling run and forward shoryu command throw after block from overlapping? when I try to grab someone out of blocking a string I get tumbling run instead of the command grab. Maybe make the command grab take priority?
Run is the lowest priority, literally every other special has priority over it.
There is even a 2f kara cancel window from the run to all things that overlap with it.
What is probably happening is you are hitting the buttons early (at D) and then not getting the kara.

That said, one of the things I was waiting until after this patch to experiment with is requiring charge moves for not-Parasoul to end in strictly F, so D or DF would not allow you to run.

Reactions: dead
Today's Patch Notes BGM™ is the Empty NMO Arena theme from...well...from Skullgirls. Because this music deserves it!
Three cheers for Brenton Kossak and Blaine McGurty!

THIS IS IT!
This is the version of the game that will soon be submitted for consoles, like it or lump it.
Obviously this doesn't have Beowulf's story in it yet, but that's the only difference.

General
- Player 1's third assist text on character select now has a drop shadow. VERY IMPORTANT FIX, THANKS BRADY! :^)
- Increased the number of allowed frames between consecutive directions of a 360 motion from 3 to 6; increased the number of frames you can hold a direction (and have it still count as a 360) from 5 to 6. Hopefully this makes 360s easy enough for keyboard/hitbox players that I don't have to hear about it anymore. :^P
- It is now easier (not frame-perfect timing) to pushblock the middle parts of: Fukua's drill supers and super fireballs; Ms. Fortune's Cat Scratch Fever, and during the drill of the headless version; Painwheel's Buer Thresher; Parasoul's Motor Brigade except when she is cornered and you are right next to her; Peacock's j.LK, Argus Agony's big beam, and the spike balls from a taunted SoiD; Squigly's Inferno of Leviathan; and Valentine's c.MP (her s.MP is not possible to fix presently). Thanks Skarmand and Age!
- Fixed damage calculation bug on hits that are supposed to not kill the point character. Thanks Weatherbee for being curious enough to find a repeatable setup for it!
- Bugfix: Announcer voice setting was not being applied if you spectated a match without having gone to character select first. Thanks POSIndustries!
- Redid shaders for characters and HUD portraits for accurate math on XBox, lemme know if something is wrong looking now.
- Fixed Parasoul's HUD portrait on XBox, and re-converted all HUD portraits from the original files, thanks Brian!
- Fixed training mode crossup indicator for Wulf Blitzer.
- Fixed Filia color #24 on character select, and differentiated Cerebella's #7/#25 and Painwheel's #22/#25, and reordered Painwheel's last few colors.

Things that did not make it for consoles but will be on PC

- Eliza and Big Band's AI will now attack you when you're airborne! WOW! And Eliza will throw you, and use Sekhmet... Thanks Skarmand.
- Frame counter for "first hit" and "after first hit" things in training mode now takes slow-motion into account. Thanks Thunder-Slash!
- Fix AI vs Beowulf staying seated after a snapback. Thanks Skarmand. But maybe you should play some, y'know, people. :^)

Beowulf
- Chair extra cooldown now REALLY happens on assists instead of accidentally on the point char, I am SO smart! Thanks New World Pope for pointing out how incredibly smart I am! :^P
- Canis Major Press pin won't happen if you grab them after the round is over.
- Lv2 hype confetti shows up properly when earned using Wulfdog or Grendel Killa. Thanks Bucky Barkley.
Big Band
- Hit sounds from Lv3 trumpet mutes are half as loud, so you hear the trumpets more. Been waiting a long time to do that de geso.
Double
- Beast of Gehenna will no longer attempt to grab dead point characters during the fight. (If placed after the fight is over, it will still grab the loser.)
Fukua
- Super fireball hitstop +1f per hit, making the advantage on block -4 -> +0 (and adding 4f advantage on hit). This changes the disadvantage when it is pushblocked early from -11 -> -7. Because you can now easily pushblock in the middle, I made it a bit safer overall.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/208630464553607252

Finding 360s to be much easier now. Mike is <3

Seems too real to be an April Fool's joke. I'll take it! ;^)

By the way for clarification, the character changes below "Things that did not make it for consoles but will be on PC" still go on the consoles, right? Some of the changes for Beowulf, Double and Fukua seem too important to exclude from the console versions... (I'm at work right now, can't verify myself)

By the way for clarification, the character changes below "Things that did not make it for consoles but will be on PC" still go on the consoles, right? Some of the changes for Beowulf, Double and Fukua seem too important to exclude from the console versions...
Way I read it, the "PC only" thing applies only to the three points directly under that statement. As two of them have to do with AI and one with training mode, everything about human vs human gameplay should be identical between PC and consoles.

Reactions: erkicman

By the way for clarification, the character changes below "Things that did not make it for consoles but will be on PC" still go on the consoles, right? Some of the changes for Beowulf, Double and Fukua seem too important to exclude from the console versions... (I'm at work right now, can't verify myself)
It's only the 3 bullets after.

Fukua
- Super fireball hitstop +1f per hit, making the advantage on block -4 -> +0 (and adding 4f advantage on hit). This changes the disadvantage when it is pushblocked early from -11 -> -7. Because you can now easily pushblock in the middle, I made it a bit safer overall.

Happy Birthday Fukua
Love, Dad Z

Last edited:
That said, one of the things I was waiting until after this patch to experiment with is requiring charge moves for not-Parasoul to end in strictly F, so D or DF would not allow you to run.

Is there any reason why Parasoul is an exception here? It happens more than enough where someone tries to go for some crouching Button as a punish/dash-in-guess and it'll come out as an Egret, especially if it was right after a block. Using downforward for horizontal charge would take out a couple of cool things, but I'd be all for making her easier to use buttons assuming you didn't have a specific reason for Parasoul.

At the very least, it would be nice if Upforward didn't give you the back -> forward charge to avoid the extremely common mistake people make for trying to do launcher -> jMP and getting M shot instead (and lesser problem of trying napalm pillar, getting Bike egret instead).

I've never really had that problem. I tend to try to return to neutral before doing Cr.hp so I don't get that error.

I kind of have that same problem with bella and grabbing out of blocks and getting runstop

I've never really had that problem. I tend to try to return to neutral before doing Cr.hp so I don't get that error.

Its not about "Is this a thing you can avoid", which yeah most good parasoul players learn to avoid. It's about fixing a thing that trips up other players when there is an easy solution (At least I presume it's easy), like the bella 360 thing or insert any number of QOL changes mike does.

Run is the lowest priority, literally every other special has priority over it.
There is even a 2f kara cancel window from the run to all things that overlap with it.
What is probably happening is you are hitting the buttons early (at D) and then not getting the kara.

Thanks mike I'll work on my execution.

I have a similar problem but it's about Bella and it's about me constantly making Lock n Load by accident when i mean't to do something else (jump forward or do her forward HP) but i guess it's because i'm one of those idiots that needs to always hold the stick in the direction of the enemy as a result of many years of playing Smash Bros Melee and Brawl.

Oh yeah, you misread it. It's just the three things in that section that aren't on console. I'll put ----- around it just in case.

Is there any reason why Parasoul is an exception here?
According to the Rule of Guile, DB.....DF+button should preserve your D,U charge while still letting you do your B,F special. Though I could fix it?

Reactions: erkicman
According to the Rule of Guile, DB.....DF+button should preserve your D,U charge while still letting you do your B,F special. Though I could fix it?
Being able to use napalm shot while preserving D,U charge is very useful. It might be an idea to make up-forward specifically ineligible for napalm shot though.

If I'm reading this correctly, Parasoul should keep her down charge while doing [1], 3 for Napalm Shot.
Napalm Trigger is important, it's also my life.

I'm all for letting L, M, and H Egret require hitting 6 and ignoring 3 and 9 :)
(Block.. 6 6 x 2LK = L Egret) happens to the best of us. You CAN just button dash, but..

then you risk getting a pushblock by accident lol. That situation tends to suck.

Oh I thought we weren't talking about ways to avoid those things because

Its not about "Is this a thing you can avoid", which yeah most good parasoul players learn to avoid. It's about fixing a thing that trips up other players when there is an easy solution

Ok i get it, i'm not merged enough with gameplay knowledge so i can't actually get into discussions here, since i have played very few fighting games and most of them had very different gameplays (the closest one to be like SG is Street Fighter Zero Alpha 2), so i'm gonna save myself the shame of being ignored and just keep watching the thread silently.

But the two 'a you just mentioned a thing that "happens to the best of us" so I thought...

Anyway(yyyylmao), I can handle it however players prefer it be handled, so I will let the players figure that out.
Not allowing B+button to give Shot = FF,B+button is a normal, but B....F,B+button is not a special-while-immediately-charging-again.
Not allowing DB+button to give Shot = same deal but for DB.
Not allowing D+button to give Shot = probably okay in all cases.
Not allowing DF = breaks D,U charge with Shot.
Not allowing UF = probably okay in all cases?

being ignored
Hey look you're not being ignored! Do you feel better now, pumpkin?
There's not much I can do on SG's side to help with your problem though, that's pretty much 100% your execution. Don't go through D,DF,F when you are trying to go from DB to UF.

[edit]
@dekillsage do that video that either mcpeanuts or Mr. Peck wanted to do...

Reactions: Dio Brando
mr.peck already messaged me about it. My spring break starts friday so I can help out with it more then. Going to try and make it as helpful as I can...

Reactions: b0nk
mr.peck already messaged me about it. My spring break starts friday so I can help out with it more then. Going to try and make it as helpful as I can...
Yeah, thanks for all the advice you gave me already! I still need to get my notes into some sort of order and quickly throw a rough first pass together to see what it looks like and what needs to be changed or added.

Eh I dunno if the Parasoul thing is really an issue. All you need to do is delay the j.MP input for a few extra frames to makes sure you're off the ground before you press the button.

Eh I dunno if the Parasoul thing is really an issue. All you need to do is delay the j.MP input for a few extra frames to makes sure you're off the ground before you press the button.
Yeah but it's also preventable, so why not?

3s does that, Alex's hyper elbow only accepts F.

Reactions: dead
Not allowing B+button to give Shot = FF,B+button is a normal, but B....F,B+button is not a special-while-immediately-charging-again.
Not allowing DB+button to give Shot = same deal but for DB.
Not allowing D+button to give Shot = probably okay in all cases.
Not allowing DF = breaks D,U charge with Shot.
Not allowing UF = probably okay in all cases?
So... we can get that? I like that. That would be cool. I would rate that 5 stars.

something i have been wanting to mention for a long time now, but havent because i cant play the beta to test changes etc, but does anyone actually use the P button to do bellas followups from command run since it was changed from just kicks waaaaay back?

reason i mention it is because since the change ive never been able to get tumble run +assist call without the followups coming out because i have to press the punch button too. dunno if this is shitty execution (and tbh i would say mine is pretty good a lot of the time) and if there is anything that could be changed about it.

personally i would just remove followups from the punch button fullstop, since i dont ever recall this being a problem or anyone asking for it back in the day. but of course it isnt my call to make.

just wanted to give some input about something that has bothered me for a while.

Reactions: Sydoh
Can someone remind me why this change was made?

Patch Notes 2014.11.13 said:
Parasoul
- Tears tossed within the first 10f of a jump, and then manually set in place by releasing the button, will now appear smaller for 30f and detonate smaller when hit during that time. The smaller detonation has much less blockstun and hitstun, and does much less damage, but might be a better alternative to nothing.

I noticed the change while doing training mode and wondered when this change was made, and I don't even remember why it changed.

I remember the days I used to accidentally do launch > M shot all the time. I also remember accidentally doing NE bike all the time after 4HK

So... we can get that? I like that. That would be cool. I would rate that 5 stars.
idk about all cases. I can see it being annoying when you try to throw out Pillar to stop a reset, but they went for a cross up and your UB became UF and Pillar didn't come out.

Parasoul TK tear toss - infinite blockstrings into itself with a 4-5f window that nobody apparently was DOING, but existed.

Run->Punch followups - I don't mind that you can't do run with assist call, since you can just call them before the run. I do mind having 3 dead buttons while running.

Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe