• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Hitboxes expiring before they make contact with the smaller point character ruins any advantage or happy birthday you would have for punishing a bad call. That alone is annoying, but when that's literally the one thing you really need to fuck up someone for mashing Beat Extend assist, it's kind of infuriating.
Ah yeah, that is something too. I know when I play outlaw he gets like 50 birthdays per match on me but can never capitalize because BB eats hits, especially val's

Reactions: Hilary
@Hilary

the only one i remember that can bday and corner carry is fortune fiber loops and simply fukua. the rest of the cast is iffy

It sucks when you don't get a happy birthday, but I'm more concerned with losing offensive pressure because they don't get put in blockstun while Big Band is eating hits. I end up just hitting him once or twice and try to block their point reversal once they recognize they're not in blockstun.

In that situation almost any other comp in the game is at a severe disadvantage for making a bad assist call that got counter-called and likely getting tangled up with their assist or at least put in block stun.

To put it in perspective:

1. You have Para/Double. They have Fortune/Filia. You dash in and block an Updo assist, and countercall LK Bomber. They're now in a position where they are blocking bomber while their assist is getting hit and have to defend your Para followup to avoid getting happy birthday'd or having their point character opened up. The best they can hope for is to defend long enough to get a pushblock or reversal that ends the damage you're putting into their assist and re-establish neutral.

2. You have Para/Double. They have Fortune/Band. You dash in and block a Beat Extend assist, and countercall LK Bomber. While you're trying to overlap hits on their assist and their point ayyyyy lmao counter-hit fiber.

Last edited:
Reactions: zarkingphoton
Can i get the patch notes please

My number one gripe about fighting Squig/Band, Pea/Band, Fortune/Band and PW/Band is Big Band's hurtbox.

Hitboxes expiring before they make contact with the smaller point character ruins any advantage or happy birthday you would have for punishing a bad call. That alone is annoying, but when that's literally the one thing you really need to fuck up someone for mashing Beat Extend assist or at least dissuade them from being reckless with it, it's kind of infuriating.

I get that he's a big body and that requires some character specific things, but I always feel like Big Band's size is less of a liability and more of a boon than it would be in another game.

Or when the point falls out of an assist punish combo because he's fucking fat and your assist punish combo gets reversed. Always a favorite of mine.

Reactions: Dime
Next, people are going to complain about character-specific combos.

I think there's a large difference between a character specific combo hitting BB assist being a punishment instead of a reward like it is with every other character given the same circumstance.

At the very, very least, a character specific combo allows you to do precisely what you would to any other character in the same circumstance ie a combo.

Hitting BB and having their point fall out of blockstun because he's fat is not something you really get to do anything about in a lot of cases.

If it is working as intended, then fine... but equivocating on the issue isn't doing anyone favors.

I won't lie, I will call Beat Extend at more yolo times than other assists because big band's fat ass protects my point character.

But character-specific happy birthday fuckups have been happening since forever, like happy bdays with Double or Bella for instance. It -is- a problem that's solvable with more lab time for most situations.

It feels like every super is slowly becoming blockable post-flash. I know that isn't the case, but jeez we're having so many super specific interactions with hitstop now.

I'd rather take balance over elegance any day but still this is a little strange.

Reactions: KhaosMuffins
Or about Filia being bad
Hey, since you're just going to parrot this strawman, here's some homework:

Find a post, a single post, where I actually said Filia was a bad character. Not "specific aspect of Filia is bad," "Filia isn't the best in the game," or whatever. Quote me actually saying she's a bad character.

So whats the reason for removing tk tear toss detonate? sure it gives you better spacing but it wasn't overpowering and was a fun thing to do. It even gave some solid anti air options instead of fully committing to pillar or not having pillar come out because you are hit charging down back. It even gave you some much needed and under explored movement options.

Were people really crying that much for parasoul nerfs? She was almost like the most fair character.

Reactions: Uzu
Can i get the patch notes please
Fukua: - Super fireball no longer causes sliding. Ground version is blockable post-flash (air already was).
Forever A Clone all versions +15f recovery on Fukua (roughly until after the shadow hits); all versions do 750 damage; M version blockstun -3f.
j.HK scales damage to 75%.

Drillationship L/M/H startup 10/15/20; H version strike invincible again on startup (for longer than before!); H version +6f recovery.
Funnily enough I came up with 750 damage as a good number by a completely different route than Vulpes :^P

Parasoul's tears tossed within the first 10f of a jump, and then manually set in place by releasing the button, will now appear smaller and cannot be detonated by Parasoul's attacks for 30f. They can still be detonated during this time by other tears, Lv3, Trigger, etc. just not Parasoul's own attacks. Tears that hit the floor, hit the wall, or place themselves without a button held will work as normal.

Parasoul's Silent Scope is now more like the super that inspired it [MR PECK NOTE: THIS IS STORM'S HAIL STORM FROM MVC2]: Startup longer, still not invincible; recovery shorter; sniper now waits for a target for up to 60f, and will hold their fire as long as the crosshair is not over anything vulnerable.
Silent Scope now causes crumple even vs airborne opponents...that might be too good but let's see how it goes.
you can react postflash with anything but it will wait for your invincibility to run out and then shoot you after

I have no idea how true this is, I took it from 4chan. I can't find the beta patch notes on Steam either.

they aren't up yet but those will be the notes when mike puts it up (or maybe he's decided to change a few more things)

Can I have video of what tk tear did so well that it needs a tweak? I'm curious.

Have you seen the size of a triggered tear? I assume it just made a great air to air maybe even locked well enough.

Of course tears locked down, they're +3 when you detonate them

Whatever, I can't remember all the exceptions and exclusions at this point.

Thinking about joining the majority and complaining about something until Mike changes it.

My number one gripe about fighting Squig/Band, Pea/Band, Fortune/Band and PW/Band is Big Band's hurtbox.

Hitboxes expiring before they make contact with the smaller point character ruins any advantage or happy birthday you would have for punishing a bad call. That alone is annoying, but when that's literally the one thing you really need to do to fuck someone up for mashing Beat Extend assist (or at least dissuade them from pushing it recklessly) it's kind of infuriating.

I get that he's a big body and that requires some character specific things, but I always feel like Big Band's size is less of a liability and more of a boon than it would be in another game.

I always felt like this was counterbalanced by the fact that Big Band is the easiest assist in the game to do damage to after he comes out to lock him out. For this reason he tends to take a ton of damage every time you call him, even if you don't happy birthday, which means he's sitting on the bench a lot. He's a giant target.

Half of my matches I feel like I can call Bella about 5 times more than I can for Band because she simply doesn't get hit all that often compared to him.

On the Fukua Nerfs - I don't really see the point of adding 75% damage scaling to j.HK since its a mid that already does reduced damage compared to other heavy attacks. The rest of the stuff I'm cool with since holy crap Shadows should not be +30 on block at point blank I've been saying that for a while.

Whatever, I can't remember all the exceptions and exclusions at this point.
Yeah. I really don't like all these weird rules. I don't think any of the stuff Parasoul did with them was bad enough to warrant changing them, let alone changing them in weird ways for specific cases. I'm sure there's someone else who could use some attention. Has Squigly gotten any love lately?

Yeah. I really don't like all these weird rules. I don't think any of the stuff Parasoul did with them was bad enough to warrant changing them, let alone changing them in weird ways for specific cases. I'm sure there's someone else who could use some attention. Has Squigly gotten any love lately?

She got low-profile hurtboxes on cr.LK and cr.MP.

Maybe its just because Squigly is by far my best character but I don't feel like she needs much. Maybe something to make the peacock matchup a little easier? Peacock got nerfed already so I'd let the dust settle on that change first.

Maybe something to make Silver Cord or Tremolo a little more useful in the neutral game, faster startup? Overall I feel like Whip-Stance is a bit lacking and she'd be more fun if it was a bit stronger but I don't think she needs it to be buffed to be 'viable', whatever that means in Skullgirls since a lot of character weaknesses can be worked around with team building.

Overall I think she's stronger than she gets credit for. Her only real weaknesses are crappy horizontal mobility and being totally screwed if you catch her before she can get a stance charge but I'm totally willing to live with those problems.

so can tremolo be an actual low?
Edit: if not then make it 3 frames faster maybe?
Real shit can I please get a decent argument to Tremelo not being a low?

Would the mixup cr.hp termelo/cr.hp stancel f + hp tremelo etc other shit be too good or what?

Reactions: Cadenza
eh, it would seem a bit too strong tbh
make it faster so it could be used as an anti-projectile method

Overall I think she's stronger than she gets credit for.
I didn't mean to say she needed buffs to be viable, I just picked a character that I don't remember having too many changes. It was between her and Big Band, those two haven't been touched very much at all (not as far as I can recall) since they dropped. Even if it's just a fun change, like Val's bypass.

And on the subject of Tremelo, what if charged version dragged the opponent to you, so you could combo afterward? That'd be cool. And I think maybe it isn't a low because... well, I don't know, maybe cause it's safe on block, so you could... stuff, I don't know. I still don't even really know how her stancels work entirely.

Well having the Siera Version pull the enemy towards you would be interesting but it would be super easy to punish on block (its -21, lewl).

Would only really be useful for catching people sleeping since its kinda too slow to punish most things (16f startup and an extra 8 frames on top of that if you're not already in stance beforehand).

I always felt like this was counterbalanced by the fact that Big Band is the easiest assist in the game to do damage to after he comes out to lock him out. For this reason he tends to take a ton of damage every time you call him, even if you don't happy birthday, which means he's sitting on the bench a lot. He's a giant target.

He isn't a giant target, he becomes the only target.

Reactions: Spencer
Yeah. I really don't like all these weird rules. I don't think any of the stuff Parasoul did with them was bad enough to warrant changing them, let alone changing them in weird ways for specific cases.
I'm all for balance over elegance, but stuff like this is a little too much. I'd like to hear an argument for why people thought parasoul needed changes.

On the subject of Squigly I think she's fine. I don't really think she needs a whole lot, but tremolo being a low or level 1 mortis being more usable would be a plus.

wouldn't you use level 1 mortis for its sliding knockdown? Something like silver cord -> mortis -> charge?

Also blockstring or combo x delay lvl1 mortis + assist call is safe + beats reversals into sliding knockdown with OTG pick up or if they block assist makes it positive and you can still do mix up things.

He isn't a giant target, he becomes the only target.

And it isn't like they get out with their life intact. They get to put a full combo on you.

Fukua: - Super fireball no longer causes sliding. Ground version is blockable post-flash (air already was).
Forever A Clone all versions +15f recovery on Fukua (roughly until after the shadow hits); all versions do 750 damage; M version blockstun -3f.
j.HK scales damage to 75%.

I have no idea how true this is, I took it from 4chan. I can't find the beta patch notes on Steam either.

This was an IRC conversation.