• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

HP Hurting Hurl Assist

It isn't actually as good, cuz assist Beo still has to go through chair cooldown to hurl the chair again, so it can't be called as fast as a regular assist. If the player doesn't know that, Beo just shows up and toss nothing, if the opponent knows that too they can maul the player since there's nothing to protect them or the assist.

But this new test TAKES AWAY tactics used in versus games.

So you're saying that because it's tactics used in versus games, it should stay? Perhaps we should start making beta experiments that add more tactics used in versus games?

How about whiffing normals builds meter even if you're above one meter? That way Peacock can run away and spam j.HK to get a zillion meters to have way more arguses than she has now, but without even having to interact with the opponent or commit to specials. Lots of players had fun doing this with Cable, so it should be in Skullgirls!

How about removing the ability for late active frames of Robo Fortunes lasers to cause preblock(or since it would get blocked anyway since blocking works differently in SG, just make the late active frames straight up unblockable), that way Robo Fortune can do unblockables on opponents wakeup/incoming with late timed beams? Lots of players had fun using this with Sentinel, so it should be in Skullgirls!

How about removing IPS so that the only thing limiting combos is undizzy, so that we can have high damage loops? Lots of players had fun doing loops with Magneto, so you should be able to do that in Skullgirls!

How about removing assist vulnerability so that Updo/Pillar/Fiber upper/etc is forced to be respected and whiff punished, instead of ever being able to be meatied? Lots of players had fun using uncontestable Psylocke, so you should be able to do that in Skullgirls!

tl;dr stop using shit logic

@ClarenceMage or @Dime_x

So I'm staying out of this for the most part because it affects my character very positively and because I can't get much hands-on for now (new job!). But, since you two are major drivers for this change, I'm curious how you respond to the almost certainly valid criticism that this change disproportionately hurts some (Squig, Double, Val) and benefits some (anyone w/o a DJ).

Worried it will skew balance in any meaningful sense?

I'm curious how you respond to the almost certainly valid criticism that this change disproportionately hurts some (Squig, Double, Val) and benefits some (anyone w/o a DJ).

Git gud.

Val is my main, who was one of the characters who benefitted most from doublejump assist turtling. This change forced me to play in different areas of the screen that aren't as free for Val, explore more options that would otherwise have been neglected, and be far more mindful about my air movement options instead of autopiloting.

There were ways around the tactics I was using, but they were FAR harder to stop than they were to do, and even against players who I explicitly tell my gameplan to or who know exactly what I was going to do, I had no effective incentive to not go for it when the situation could easily be put into my favour with no effort(bar reacting faster to the situation than my opponent) or thought on my part.

Effectively, this change makes it so that if you have over-relied on this easily reproducible, difficult-to-convincingly-counter tactic, you're going to have to play in a more skillful manner and think more about what your opponent is doing.

Edit: As far as balance goes, the only really significant balance change I can see is Peacock rising from A tier to A+ tier, but peacock would rise to a prominent dominant force in SG anyway over time even without this change, as players eventually start tier whoring/picking better assists.

Then players will be playing characters who can better fight peacock/pick up assists that can better rek peacock anyway to counter that. Effectively this would've just sped up the inevitable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dime
Yes that's true, peacock can still get an Argus in but she needs an item charged so he can't blitz over it and a L George at about 3/4 of the screen away from Beo to stop his arm super. But that's actually kind of hard to set up against someone with a huge armored sweep. I'm not complaining by any means but it's harder than it seems.

Reactions: Beamsprouts
Can Squigly's charged sing get changed so that she can at least do throw into charged sing with her back to the corner and get the wall bounce?

It would have to shift the screen so far over that it would reveal parts of the stage that aren't finished/drawn though.

Can Squigly's charged sing get changed so that she can at least do throw into charged sing with her back to the corner and get the wall bounce?
If your back is to the corner, why not back throw?
Or, if you do want/get forward throw, use lvl2 Chord or spend the meter on Opera?

To me it just sounds like you chose the wrong option to convert more than anything, and @Skarmand already pointed out the fact it would go offstage if it was done like you suggested.

The reason I want this change is not so much as the option to convert off of throw, more so that I want to be able to do level 2 sing with my back to the corner in order to bring them closer.

Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
Wanted to bring up Peacock's airthrow since j.MK being reverted reminded me.

Why was it changed to what it is now? Currently, you can sorta combo off of it but it's kind of iffy now depending on height. The change just makes it annoying when you barely miss the followup to it.

Eh, I'm all for Peacock having an actual matchup she struggles to be effective in. Just feels weird that he doesn't have to work for access to c.HK.

All the extra chip really does add up though, so it's definitelly still a pretty even matchup, especially since he's taking watered down projectile damage most of the time he uses c.HK.

A big thing for me is how it eats/punishes assists, which count for a lot in zoning, but that's just the nature of the beast.

I'll try and play more Beowulfs.

Maybe Double could use a buff, everyone else is pretty good as is though.
I've got two ideas: A) make MP Luger go upwards towards the opposite corner (either after a ricochet like HP version, or just firing into the air), and B) Let Double follow up after car in the corner (sliding knockdown?)

A) No
B) No, have you played older versions where she could do that? Not fun.

What? There are a shit ton of characters who combo into more than 1 super in the corner or have their super cause a sliding knockdown. How is this any less fun because double would be able to do it -_-

Reactions: PandaGirlBingo
Name 1.

EDIT: read that wrong.

either way I don't feel double needs it. Honestly I think double is fine you already got that neat monster super but apparently that did nothing for double. (the larger shots the bounce from HP luger)

(It's 8am I need to go back to bed)

Combo after super: Bella, Parasoul, Fukua, Painwheel, Big band, Peacock, Beowulf, Filia, Squigly, Double thanks to monster, Val has it but its poor.

knockdowns/crumple: Fortune, Eliza, Fukua, Parasoul

Its not fun though.

Reactions: b0nk and SmashBlade
Oh I also forgot to mention that level 3 has sliding now. So double has both the things that other guy wanted they just aren't wrapped in one super.

But that's all I got really I don't see why she would need that change and other characters having it isn't much of a reason.

Reactions: zarkingphoton
@ClarenceMage or @Dime_x

So I'm staying out of this for the most part because it affects my character very positively and because I can't get much hands-on for now (new job!). But, since you two are major drivers for this change, I'm curious how you respond to the almost certainly valid criticism that this change disproportionately hurts some (Squig, Double, Val) and benefits some (anyone w/o a DJ).

Worried it will skew balance in any meaningful sense?

I wasnt going to reply because i feel like isavulpes and clarencemage have said what i would say. But i will add something:

The only argument that has come up that i think merits not being dismissed out of hand, is the peacock and squigly argument (i dont think double suffers much at all from this change, i use double and have been using her for years now and tbh i feel like this change is good for double) im not a heavy doubler jumper though, i like to use doubles crazy good dashes and st.hp and lugers and dash jump stuff.

After the change i still used double jumps, but i used them differently. Instead of using them to bait assists and the like, i used them almost exclusively for offense, to change my angle and timing of jump attack.

Squigly:

I feel like she is kinda nerfed by the double jump assist nerf, HOWEVER, having played gfarmer at his best, back when he played all the time and when he was still a solo player, i can tell you that squigly is still effective without the pattern. She can double jump higher than any other character and mixup her abilities with how she lands.

I kinda feel like this double jump nerf hate is from people that dont know or dont WANT to know, how to play their characters without assists. I feel comfortable with all my characters without assists save for maybe parasoul, and even her, i was surprised how comfortable i was with playing her without assists back in the day.

One can bait without using assists, its just that it will take a bit more than just double jumping in with impunity and calling an assist while being able to block.

Overall i think squigly will be fine the way i think BB and double will be fine. Squigly still has he r awesome j.lk for air to air and as a way to go offensive, BB has his own j.lk as well. Double has her j.hp, her j.mp for times when j.hp is to slow, her j.lp for crossups when she misjudges her attacking angle and overshoots the opponent, and her forward jump j.mk for added aerial float time plus the ability to double jump after the j.mk wiffs. Squigly likewise has her j.mk to give her some float properties, a divekick for high priority fastfalls
Her awesome j.hp, good jumpin angled j.hk that is multihit and therefor forces a late pushblock to knock squigs away... She has stuff, basically. I dont think mike designed a one trick pony. I think squigly will be fine, just different.

peacock:

The one reason that makes me hesitant about the double jump change. I never used double jump plus assist against peacock that much, if memory serves, but if i did.... It didnt help much... Peacocks own me.

So i just counter with brass. Peacock is no longer a problem. So as long as h brass is in the game i dont feel like peacock is a huge metagame threat.

I DO FEEL LIKE PEACOCK CAN BEAT BRASS. But i feel like if my opponent peacock beats me while im using H brass assist then they are just flatout better than me... And i can live with that.

peacock and squigly becoming better and worse are the only arguments that ive heard that i find even a bit persuasive (and i dont find them that persuasive, but i do think that there is a point to be made there)

In the end it isnt mine or clarences or mmds or whoevers decision except mikes and perhaps the overall community if he puts it down to more of a vote thing.

Ive already stated my reasons for wanting it ( more dynamic play by taking out a very good go to pattern and therefor opening up access to other patterns which while not quite as good, synergize with each other in a much more dynamic way, etc) others have stated their reasons (cause its like that in marvel, i lose my specific double jump steup even though there are a myriad of others, i like the challenge of beating obvious things and dont get bored when beating said obvious things, i want to be able to bait assist calls via double jump>assist even though i can easily bait them without a double jump or an assist, peacock and squigly)

One of the things we have to remember is that sg is not marvel or a versus series game. Those characters in those games had EXTREMELY DIFFERENT movelists than the sg characters. Comparing the 2 games is worthless in some instances, and the double jump/ assist calling/ new upback is one of those instances imo.

Keep in mind that undizzy wasn't a thing back then.
But yeah I guess Monster super is a thing now.

I feel like Double would be perfect if she had a standing overhead.
I would fucking love that, but I think Mike is quite adamant about it not happening, based on having seeen that brought up in a stream chat. I mean, what if it was s.mp? That would make that move actually see some use, maybe.

Yeah, I forgot about Underbite, so I don't actually care so much about corner car follow-ups.

What about just a tiny bit more meter-gain?

Last edited:
What was the reasoning for Monster!'s puddle being moved forward after activation? From my experience it does more harm than good.

Oh I also forgot to mention that level 3 has sliding now. So double has both the things that other guy wanted they just aren't wrapped in one super.

But that's all I got really I don't see why she would need that change and other characters having it isn't much of a reason.

The sliding on Double's level 3 is very neat, but is not a curall to her problems. Especially since she is one of the characters that greatly depend/benefit on/from meter in neutral (so far squigly and double), use of level 3 is usually to kill off a character (which wouldn't benefit from sliding knockdown).

Zarkingphoton wanted a different angled anti air luger and a form of conversion off of car. The luger bullet change is great, the bounce is great, but they were more QOL changes than outright additions to her toolset. She did not get the changes that he asked about, so why do you state that double did (also he never mentioned those changes be in a super)?

Why should double combo off of car? Possibly bc Double, who is commonly believed to have lackluster under-pressure options and a harder defense, should combo off of her reversal (no matter how bad it is) super. That is plausible support.
(Still think it would be nuts, but reasoning can be found)

Double is a good character, she just isn't rewarded for a hit as much as other characters.

First of all, why are you guys talking about untechable knockdown on Double's lvl3 being a factor at all? If you haven't used otg yet, she has this very same option for NO meter: s.hp

She didn't use to have any safe blockstring aside from j.hp being + on block. Now c.hp > xx M Luger leaves you at -2 in the worst case scenario, s.mp is -4 on block. Oh, and also, c.lk is now +5 on block.

Monster super is NOT safe on block. Not even Cilia Slide (her highest stun special move) > xx Monster leaves her at +. It is punishable by many special and super moves in any scenario, and remember that using a meter to punish something that required a meter to do is not a stretch.

But more importantly, she now has neutral options that are WAY more viable than before. H Luger is a great AA move now that it is faster and convertable to any other move without spending otg, including launcher. The other Lugers are great against airdash people like Filia, Eliza and Val. If you hit a L Luger it is easy as fuck to convert off the otg.
c.hp and s.mp are other great neutral options against jumpins as of now. Double's c.hp startup is 12, just like s.mp.

Do you guys HONESTLY feel like Double needs to be buffed? Have you ever considered that she's shifting into a new playstyle and you should try to learn that instead of insisting in playing SDE Double in 2015?

So... if you want to keep playing her as a meter-spending anchor just like before, the new Luger and Monster are godlike tools for solo play. And just like they work for anchor, they work for any POINT Double aswell. Yes that will be a thing if people stop being so narrow minded and actually try the new stuff.

Why are people requesting standing overheads? Do you honestly feel like Double needs mixups? Okay, a low+throw character is pretty easy to block, just like Fukua is. But just like her, you're not going to be always at your opponent's face. There's other ways to open people up and hey, just like Fukua once again, her issue is finding the space to open people up, and in that regard she's been severely buffed.

1) St.HP gives you sliding knockdown but the difference is other characters will either combo into multiple supers for damage or get a knockdown from anywhere, while doing good damage at the end of their combo thanks to the super, while double can do neither of these things unless she spends a bar on the first chain. Squigly's and Parasouls may not do a TON of damage, but they both give you crumple oki and didn't need to save an otg to do it. Fortunes super does like over 1k and causes knockdown. etc

2) Being - 2 means you are still minus. So you have to block, and guess what double doesn't ever want to do?

3) The only good luger is H luger. M is to end blockstrings, L is to confirm into car 80% of the time. It's not that good, and the majority of the time you get hit for trying L luger or it gets crouched. Fullscreen it does nothing but give you car, which honestly is w/e to the opponent

4) I haven't played double as one of my mains in months, but I can still say with 100% confidence that I am the best double player bar none. I HAVE played her using her new tools and I do NOT play her like she was played in SDE. I played with the combination of dhc cat heads and fast mix ups/ pressure. But even then she lacks, other characters can do what she does A LOT better, and faster.

5) Monster is not a godlike tool. It's an okay tool that can slow down the pace of a match but during that time out double still can't do shit. Monster oki isn't good, using it as an anti air barely works, its not safe to end blockstrings with. It's a tool to temporarily give the opponent something to get rid of, or to get better damage off her combos but they end up doing the same damage in the end anyways. 8k is good damage to a lot of people, and that's fair, but I'm getting way more damage with my other characters bnbs and supers and resets than I ever will with double.

6)She'd need more than a standing overhead. The character feels unfinished and everything doesn't flow nicely. That's the best way I can put it really. She doesn't need to do a shit ton of damage if her utility and pros for being on a team outweighed the cons. Which they do not IMO. Changing the bombers took away a huge reason to play double, regardless of whether or not you whoever you are want us to use her new tools, why even bother when the game gives us better characters and options to choose from?

TL;DR: Is double better? Yes! Is she good? She is weak, but viable. That being said good luck to all my double players! Opinions are my own.

You've brought solid points, I feel like debating.

1. "comboing into multiple supers" shouldn't be an argument once catheads exists. If you got the hit, the meter and WANT to keep pressuring for multiple supers (aka more than 1 meter) there's no reason you shouldn't catheads instead. And also, mixup potential wise on techable knockdown, Double has c.hk > Fleshstep, which leads to meaty lows/overheads and even crossups if you can read where your opponent will tech.
If you got the untechable, there's plenty of time to get close and do any wakeup mixup you want from anywhere on screen both with lvl3 and s.hp. You want Double to have Fortune's ground lvl1? Okay, I don't feel like that's needed after what I just wrote.

2. Being minus on values under 5 does not mean you have to block. Very few supers and specials will hit on the ranges that Double's blockstrings leaves her at minus. You don't need to block something you know will not hit you. Spacing matters more than rough frame data in this case. Going back to neutral midrange is not a bad thing, since your big counter/read buttons work the best in this very range.
You could argue that a blockstring should always leave you at + and you should be able to keep doing pressure with any character after it. I don't agree with that, but that's just my opinion, and I can't say I'm someone and make that matter more like you do.

3. I don't agree the only good Luger (for neutral purposes) is the H version. Think about how Val can use her s.hp as a read tool. Every Luger does the same, your hitboxes goes back and the hit goes forward. If the target gets hit airborne you get a full combo on any Luger version, if you get blocked, so what? You're back to where it all started. I don't see why every single button you press should reward you with only advantages. If it's w/e for your opponent and w/e for you aswell it means its a bad move?

4. I don't have anything to say to these. You're right, other characters can do what she does better, but Double has her own stuff.

5. Regarding damage on Monster you may be right, other characters do more than 8k, but Double's damage is far from being bad. And yes, it's unsafe in almost every case, it's not useful as an AA doesn't give you good okis as the ones I said on point 1, but it is a great DHC on both angles and places a threat on the screen that your opponent has to respect. That for a character that hates to be on the defensive is by itself a good tool.

6. I don't feel that much affected by Bomber's changes. L version is still easy to convert from and M works just fine as a blockstring extender if you want that (even though I hate when small characters crouch out of it). But even when there's stuff like L Beat Extend in the game, I feel it's safe to say that the bombers are still between the top 3 best assist in the game.

Well... don't take it the wrong way. I play Double and I love her and it's maybe the only character I play I'll never consider making a team without. If there's a buff to happen to her, I'll welcome it with the warmest of the hearts, but I REALLY don't feel like she needs one.
why even bother when the game gives us better characters and options to choose from?
That's where you got me.

I want to address a couple different things brought up in the thread

Double should get a standing overhead
This is actually something I strongly disagree with. I mean a standing overhead would be really good but I also think people underestimate how much stronger this would make her

But more importantly, she now has neutral options that are WAY more viable than before. H Luger is a great AA move now that it is faster and convertable to any other move without spending otg, including launcher.

HP Gun does control better space than before but it still has extremely long recovery, and it isn't a normal so you can't cancel it into anything to make it safe (cats I guess if they block it? But even then you are only a bit minus so there are better options than spending two meters). I'm still finding this to be really risky unless they're coming down from superjump height. I would still consider this to be a very situational tool. Being able to confirm without blowing your OTG is a HUGE help though, like you said. It opened up some new combo routes for her too.

The other Lugers are great against airdash people like Filia, Eliza and Val. If you hit a L Luger it is easy as fuck to convert off the otg.
They aren't good on their own against people at airdash distance. You have better options which brings us to...

c.hp and s.mp are other great neutral options against jumpins as of now. Double's c.hp startup is 12, just like s.mp.
C.hp is great at catching air dashes, but not against all jump ins. Parasoul will still hop right over it doing j.lp, val can air dash over it since it's fast/goes up, etc. S.mp is an even worse option against these, and since both are the same startup like you said, why would you ever use s.mp over c.hp lol. new s.mp is good for blockstrings and I like using it for restands if i'm not 100% sure about being able to restand with jab or s.hk after an H luger or something like that. It's still equally as unuseful in neutral.

Do you guys HONESTLY feel like Double needs to be buffed? Have you ever considered that she's shifting into a new playstyle and you should try to learn that instead of insisting in playing SDE Double in 2015?
While I agree double in beta is still fairly unexplored neutral, it doesn't change that her reward for landing a hit is negligible. Mid-combo Monster super opened up some new routes which let us get more damage, but she still gets very little off of resets and you can still jab out of a lot of her vortex stuff (you can use hp luger when you read a mash jab though). She has good knockdown setups with j.hk but no threatening mixup afterwords without use of assists.

I never played SDE so I don't know much about what double was like besides long ass barrel loops and catheads loops. She also has lost her bomber invincibility in beta which took out the #1 reason players were still using her during the evo era/fukua patch. Since then, every relevant double player not named Keninblack or Cloudking has dropped her.

So... if you want to keep playing her as a meter-spending anchor just like before, the new Luger and Monster are godlike tools for solo play. And just like they work for anchor, they work for any POINT Double aswell. Yes that will be a thing if people stop being so narrow minded and actually try the new stuff.
Like I mentioned earlier I think j.hk gives double some cool setups after a sliding knockdown, providing you have an assist to make your mixup afterwards threatening. I'm still keeping double in the back so I can have lk bomber for my other two characters, but I do like DHCing all the way to her or using a raw tag combo to switch her in so I can use said setups.

Or I can just keep her in the back and fortune with a low assist AND a lockdown while having squigly with a lockdown assist. Which is more effective and more threatening 95% of the time (but not always as fun)

Why are people requesting standing overheads? Do you honestly feel like Double needs mixups? Okay, a low+throw character is pretty easy to block, just like Fukua is. But just like her, you're not going to be always at your opponent's face. There's other ways to open people up and hey, just like Fukua once again, her issue is finding the space to open people up, and in that regard she's been severely buffed.
The difference here is that Fukua is a MUCH BIGGER threat at fullscreen than double is. She has some really good almost-fullscreen confirms that lead to combos. Fukua also has a command grab and her pressure doesn't end after being pushblocked once. She also doesn't need meter to keep her as a threat, AND she has a ton of good mashproof resets.

It's like double is at fullscreen and she's not that big of a threat besides luger being kind of annoying. You can maybe get in with cats if you have two meters, sure.
Up close she's not really that big of a threat. Unless you have cats, which are two meters and not nearly as effective at higher levels of play where people are going to be using PBGC/Absolute Guard/Diamond Deflector.

In the time it took me to write all of this you made another post so...

6. I don't feel that much affected by Bomber's changes. L version is still easy to convert from and M works just fine as a blockstring extender if you want that (even though I hate when small characters crouch out of it). But even when there's stuff like L Beat Extend in the game, I feel it's safe to say that the bombers are still between the top 3 best assist in the game.
I still use LK bomber as a preference. I didn't think too much of the MK bomber changes until I played hilary the other day and I saw just how weak of an assist it is now. As for a top 3 assist? I'd only even consider LK but then it's hard for me to justify it being better than stuff like Updo, Lock N Load, Drillationship, or Beat Extend.

Well... don't take it the wrong way. I play Double and I love her and it's maybe the only character I play I'll never consider making a team without. If there's a buff to happen to her, I'll welcome it with the warmest of the hearts, but I REALLY don't feel like she needs one.
I feel EXACTLY the same way about the first part of this. Double is such a cool character to me, who's silly in all the right ways (teacups, barrels, fridge, level 5), has a great low/throw game, and tons of different combo paths you can string together and freestyle with. I'm going to be taking a look at the whole cast once the game is finished and maybe change around my team to fit the bill, but I can say with 100% confidence I enjoy Double too much to drop her.

(also don't take what I wrote the wrong way either :v)

However, that doesn't stop me from admitting she is bottom 2 right now (which in the context of skullgirls really isn't that bad). I do think people heavily exaggerate how much weaker she is compared to the rest of the cast, though.

If there is one thing that I want to see double have right now, above all I want to see a better backdash. Doubles strengths are not so overwhelming that a terrible backdash is necessary to keep her in line. I would love to be able to make quick adjustments in my positioning to better use her pokes and position my H luger more deliberately for anti-airs. I care more about speed than backdash distance in this case. I feel that would make some of her tools both old and new a lot more usable and a lot more fun, rather than having to give her new ones.

Anyway wow I spent a ton of time writing this.

1) Cat heads suffer from every hit involving them scaling your damage to hell and pbgc/absolute guard making them not nearly as good as people would think. The cr.hk flesh step tech chase has always been overrated to me, but coming from someone who plays characters who don't have to bother doing something like that of course I'd feel that way. When it comes to car my point wasn't really oh man please buff this super(though it'd be nice if it didn't drop the point when hitting 2 characters randomly), but to point out that it having more purpose than what it has now wouldn't be the end of the world.

2) They don't need to hit double, they just need to be in range to make double block. Depending on your confirm you will not be out of range where double can be put under pressure. You don't go back to midrange, that's a little further off MOST of the time. The biggest issue with the idea of spacing with double is that cr.lk at max range barely works with st.mp and cr.mk to the point where confirming with this is ridiculously hard and inconsistent. A blockstring does not need to be +, but for double it leaves her in a shitty position a lot of the time, and that's something that double players have had to deal with forever.

3) That's where I don't agree. You're not back to where it all started. Your opponent is closer to you, inching toward and luger doesn't pose a big enough threat to stop someone from approaching. Its only good vs people who are overly aggressive and don't think, like IAD HPx102901 Filia players, but people who are willing to hide behind assists or crouch under luger and approach double properly there comes a point where luger wont help anymore and becomes a huge risk low reward options to choose. From fullscreen it doesn't hit anyone either and all you get is car, which results in nothing but a wasted resource and okay not great damage. L luger is extremely mediocre.

5) It's an okay dhc. Doesn't make your dhc safe unless you're nowhere near your opponent, but characters like parasoul and peacock can take good advantage of it because they're zoners. The amount of respect your opponent needs to give it is just them chicken blocking monster and calling their assist. It's not intimidating, and when its blocked you blew a whole meter for absolutely nothing but maybe a few seconds to stop potential pressure. Which is okay.

6) L bomber on point still gets shit on by Jump + call assist. As assists Mk bomber losing its bit of invincibility makes it so that any dp assist beats it, projectiles hit it for free, the point never has to respect it, etc. Why play bomber when I can play copter or beat extend or even something like cremation? Doesn't help that MK bomber also straight up whiffs against people who crouch lol. Lk bomber is fast but loses the same ways it did on point, and now loses to assists it used to go even with like LNL.

I completely disagree with bomber being a top 3 assist. Horus, LNL, Copter, M SOID, H chair toss, beat extend, HK Drill, M or H brass, french twist are all better.

soooooo can someone explain to me double's major issues?

having poor reversal?
iffy conversions?

Note: i don't play the character so i have no input so i thought i would ask what is it exactly.

Also what kind of buff would help double, is there any sort of "buff" to improve double?

Okay, I'm happy with the outcome of these. I didn't expect a good discussion like this one pop out.

The only point I feel like bringing up is
The biggest issue with the idea of spacing with double is that cr.lk at max range barely works with st.mp and cr.mk to the point where confirming with this is ridiculously hard and inconsistent.
Actually c.mp will ALWAYS connect after c.lk max range and put you in a good place for any heavy button after it. But I know, getting used to press c.mp instead of s.mk is hard.

In the end, maybe I'm a bit spoiled. I personally find no issue on any matchup playing as Double against the rest of the cast. Everything I feel like I need from the character is there, and in the end if people take games from me, I can't find a way to blame it on Double instead of myself. But yeah, maybe I'm only exposed to playing brazilian people that still have no clue how to adjust to her.

But still, as @Dreamepitaph said, I can't point a single problematic thing on her (aside from the Car whiffing on many cases) that would require a targeted buff. Yeah, better frame data and hitboxes will work for anyone, but I don't feel like that's what's on table.

I've always been thinking that Fleshstep should be encouraged to be more used on neutral. Changing it to be strike invuln or even allow Double to cancel her special moves into Fleshstep are stuff that crossed my mind, but I doubt they're worth much thought.

@Dolfinh also mentioned about her backdash, which indeed is a pain.

Maybe give Double the unused leftovers from blood mechanics? Like double loses some life and spits out flesh blobs that can be moved or turned into tentacles or something.

Or some sort of traps/setup that provides a measure of prophylaxis for her in passive neutral, and incentive for people to go in on her harder.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhh... nah. I think Double is pretty much okay at where she stands now. but maybe for some other fighting game character for some other game that would sound cool.

Now i'm sure sage and others would call me flat out dumb if not already but.

if we used the blood mechanic leftovers could use it as some sort of special that entraps the opponent? or like... you activate the super and input a command to make the blob attack or.....ok ima shut up i don't know how double works and i don't know how the leftover blood mechanic would work in double's play

Doesn't Double's c.mp moves her forward? Can't you guys use that? I'm pretty sure it hits max range 99%. Don't complain about c.lk not confirming into stuff..... T_T

@dekillsage

You (and others) should compile a list of Double quality of life changes eg you mentioned car drops the point occasionally. It might just be that Double needs some quality of life changes (like she already got this last round) instead of huge sweeping mechanics like puddles.

She doesn't seem all that weak to be honest, she just lags a little bit behind. Some minor fixes should bring her up without breaking the game.