• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

No. I know what I'm thinking. :3
Well then you should know that the enemies in the Forest of Fallen Giants wear the Hollow Soldier Set and it would be unlikely to fool anybody with the armor that I'm wearing. Also the Royal Soldier Set isn't that bad, it's strength is pretty close to that of Alva's Set and has low weight as well. I still think you're confused.

When I see people getting chased by vases and not bat a eyelid, I think anything can fool them. :3
But yeah, I know that set has two versions (again, something I think should apply to all of them). Thinking about my past experience, I can't judge. After all, my paladin lady in DS1 was rocking the Hollow Soldier Armor (with Paladin Leggings, Giant Gauntlets and Gwyn's Crown - DS1 has some pretty cool sets).
hollow-soldier-set-large.jpg

I should visit Lordran one of these days. According to a PSN friend of mine, that place is still crawling with PvP activity. Sadly, a lot of Giantdads and MMulers (unlike DS2, Big Brother From isn't watching DS1 all that attentively).
Alas, despite all my bitching about 2's lackluster environments and characters, the minute gameplay changes were mostly all for the best.

When I see people getting chased by vases and not bat a eyelid, I think anything can fool them. :3
Thinking about my past experience, I can't judge. After all, my paladin lady in DS1 was rocking the Hollow Soldier Armor
That confuses the hell out of me, how can people not notice that shit? Then again, the first thing I do when invading is scan the surrounding environment for anything out of place.
I'm wearing matching full armor sets now, but eventually I'll mix and match them into something more personal. Gotta say I really expected this game to have more capes, the lack of them disappoints me.

Reactions: Balder
Even PvE in this game - especially this game! - is about awareness. Spacial awareness and attention to details ARE survival skills in this game. Not always always, but I do make it a point in doing a full camera circling of the area every now and then.
As for players playing enemy cosplay chameleon, there's usually tell tale signs like body mass and posture (most humanoid enemies are skeletally thin with horrible posture) and, of course, placement. Incidentally, I recently saw another video of cosplay shenanigans.

As for Fashion Souls, totally hear ya. Normally, most of what I pull off is changing the headpiece of one set and that's it. Again, there's tons of great looking costumes but mixing pieces feels very difficult. Likewise, the lack of capes as a different slot is a pity. Again again, Dragon's Dogma spoiled me rotten with its customization options - head / undershirt / upper body / arms / underpants / legs / capes.

Incidentally, I might as well pry - how are you folks swagging in Drangleic?
Set 1 (basically my "Player 1" costume)
- Imperious Helm
- Creighton's Chainmail
- Drangleic Gauntlets
- Drangleic Leggings

Set 2
- Looking Glass Helm
- Throne Watcher Armor
- Looking Glass Gauntlets
- Throne Watcher Leggings

Set 3
- Imperious Helm
- King's Armor
- King's Gauntlets
- King's Leggings

Set 4
- Mask of Judgment
- Throne Defender Armor
- Throne Defender Gauntlets
- Throne Defender Leggings

Set 5
- Sir Alonne's Helm
- Raime's Armor
- King's Gauntlets
- Drangleic Leggings

Set 6
- Creighton's Steel Mask
- Heide Knight Chainmail
- Dark Gauntlets
- Dark Leggings

Set 7 (weighs a ton!)
- Pate's Helm
- Looking Glass Armor
- Looking Glass Gauntlets
- Looking Glass Leggings

Set 8 (gonna roll with this once I finalize the build and respec it to a DEX/FTH one)
- Dragon Acolyte Mask OR Ivory King Helm
- Throne Watcher Armor
- Loyce Knight Gauntlets
- Loyce Knight Leggings
Hmmmm, now that I look at these written down, I actually got more variety than in DS1. Well, I'll be co-signing a monkey's mortgage...

Reactions: Smilax and Denizen
Is the "wat r u, casul?" build still viable in ds1?

I'm having a lot of trouble farming for the Red Lion Warrior Cape.

my main fashion souls is with my mundane character, wearing the sunken crown, xhantous top, flower skirt, and engraved gauntlets for "queen in yellow" since they're all yellow enough for it to count.

Oh God it took six ascetics and about three hours but I finally got the Red Lion Warrior Cape.
I don't even know why I tried so hard to get it, but it looks cool.

Is the "wat r u, casul?" build still viable in ds1?
Giantdad? Yeah, lots of people still use it. The whole gist of it is basically "stun lock the shit out of the opponent". I think the only nuance about it is that since the Zweihänder has a Chaos infusion, it scales with Humanity so you should always have 10 Humanity to get the best of it.

my main fashion souls is with my mundane character, wearing the sunken crown, xhantous top, flower skirt, and engraved gauntlets for "queen in yellow" since they're all yellow enough for it to count.
It was kinda mean of From to not make a "Flower set". Finding what matches with that skirt can be a nuisance.
Incidentally, I've seen the following suggestion - Tseldora Cap / Monastery Longshirt / Flower Skirt (basically, a nurse get up)

With my lady hexer, my main get up is Black Hood / Black Robes / Lion Mage Cuffs / Black Witch Skirt
Other faves include:
- Crown of the Old Iron King / Bone King Robe / Manchettes of Judgment / Desert Sorceress Skirt
- Sanctum Priestess Tiara / Leydia Black Robe / Lion Mage Cuffs / Penal Skirt
- Brigand Hood / Saint's Dress / Lucatiel's Gloves / Flying Feline Boots
- Saint's Hood / Bone King Robe / Lion Mage Cuffs / Saint's Trousers

Oh God it took six ascetics and about three hours but I finally got the Red Lion Warrior Cape.
I don't even know why I tried so hard to get it, but it looks cool.
Meanwhile, up above, Scorpioness Nascar is going on a steroid binge. Every ascetic used, is another dose of roids she shoots. Expect her to have giant claws, a UGS catalyst and, like, 7 tails when she pops out of the sand. :3

But yeah, making items drop only from Goldilocks was some serious bullshit. I tried farming the headpiece but no luck. :|

Side note, on my second visit to Eleum Loyce, was very happy to find out I don't need to farm the Loyce souls a second time. Just chat up Alsanna and she gives the rewards.
Also got a second Bone Fist. Time to get all karateka up in here! "Don't think, git gud."

Bonus protip moment - the Large Club's 2H R2 causes a hard knockdown on practically every non-boss humanoid enemy and it proves quite handy with particularly twatty enemies. Of course, by "particularly twatty", I mean "that little bitch Mauldron who always high tails it when he starts to feel the heat". In both COIK and CIK, repeatedly flattening him in on the ground every time he tries to make a run for it is surprisingly efficient.

Reactions: Jimbob and Denizen
Meanwhile, up above, Scorpioness Nascar is going on a steroid binge. Every ascetic used, is another dose of roids she shoots. Expect her to have giant claws, a UGS catalyst and, like, 7 tails when she pops out of the sand. :3
Remember how I said fuck Homing Soulmass? Yeah, fuck that scorpion bitch.

All that farming got me over 800,000 much needed souls so I really can't complain. I'm three levels away from my planned build now, after which I'll buy the DLC. The sudden jump in my stats is very noticeable, I'm now doing twice as much damage in PvP.

By the way I found a set that looks really good, especially as a phantom.
Dragon Sage Hood / Red Lion Warrior Cape / Engraved Gauntlets / Vengarl's Boots

I don't play for function, I play for fun.
Thus my build is centered around aesthetics and how I like to fight.
2014-10-29_00005.jpg

2014-10-29_00006.jpg

Here's the Fashion Souls I was talking about, I think it looks pretty cool.
2014-10-29_00004.jpg

Oh shit! No shield? That's...audacious.

IMHO, I would take 5 from END and put them on STR because END starts giving diminishing returns at 20 (1 stamina point per level).
Side note, I couldn't help but notice you have INT and FTH to use Great Resonant Soul or Resonant Weapon. And with 4 slots, you can attune it twice. Get a Dark Chime of Want for your left hand and you got yourself a helpful little trinket. Also, if you replace one of those resistance rings with Southern Ritual Band +2 (NG+ Najka drop) to get 3 additional ATN slots, you can rock both pyro and hexes.

And yeah, that gear combo looks cool. Just a shame it's not possible to recolor parts. The hood colored black would really make the whole ensemble work perfectly.

Side note, my NG+ journey is nearly ended with only the Frigid Outskirts to clear but I'm really considering leaving that crap because the headache is just not worth it. The area is obnoxious to traverse, there's barely anything worthwhile there, the fight against those two giant tigers makes Elana look fair and balanced and the weapons made from their souls are definitely not worth it, especially when I already got them in NG. I already cleaned the area of those stupid ponies roaming about and it still takes ages to reach the boss.
Oy vey... -_-"

EDIT: just stumbled upon this. It's a fan made video where someone tries to figure out the lyrics to the theme of Sir Alonne. Maybe it's total bollocks but I think the effort is applaudable. When's Skullheart Arrhythmia with Latin lyrics?

Last edited:
Reactions: Denizen
Oh shit! No shield? That's...audacious.
SHIELDS ARE FOR COWARDS. What kind of man walks into battle hiding behind a wall? You might as well go hide behind your mother's skirt! Nothing brings me more joy than to Guard Break and Riposte a shield user.
Two of my favorite rings, the Stone Ring and the Ring of Giants, belonged to a warrior named Shieldless Lothian.
The item descriptions make him sound like a huge bad-ass that I'd like to roll with.
IMHO, I would take 5 from END and put them on STR because END starts giving diminishing returns at 20 (1 stamina point per level).

...and more advice.
I would consider that, but I actually used my last two Soul Vessels to reach 99 VIG so I could traverse the lava path in Iron Keep that led to the Chaos Storm Pyromancy. Man, even with all that health I needed to wear full Smelter Demon Armor, Flame Quartz Ring, use Flash Sweat, AND douse myself in water to survive long enough just to pick up the item. Anyway I like my stats where they are, I won't be changing them anytime soon.

As for your spell advice, I really like the idea. I mean I've always considered Resonant Hexes to be overpowered weapons for weak players, but I won't deny that the Dark is tempting. I've always relied on slick swordsmanship to win my battles, but I'm willing to delve into magic a bit more. By the way the Key to the Embedded is amazing.
A successful counter hit can do twice as much damage as a regular strike, sometimes reaching 500 DMG.

What kind of man walks into battle hiding behind a wall?
The kind of man that's FUCKIN' INVINCIBLE!
Sundowner-Explosive-Shields.png

an, even with all that health I needed to wear full Smelter Demon Armor, Flame Quartz Ring, use Flash Sweat, AND douse myself in water to survive long enough just to pick up the item.
Yeah, that part is some serious bullshit. I'd say you went overboard there but this game tests our patience in such manners. It took me more attempts than I'd like to admit, but I got it done with 16 VIT. Besides the fire resistance stuff, my strat starts with clearing the room, then equip the cat ring and as soon as I roll into those vases, run jump into the platform below and then run jump to the burning pathway (3/5 I'll completely miss it and fall straight in the lava. YOLO!). The problem with that part is that there's no indicative of how long or how efficient getting doused is. But it is. I'd go as far as saying as rolling into those vases offers more protection than anything else.
But again, there's the thing - sometimes I do everything and HP burns down at a ridiculous speed and other times, it goes so slow you could cross the pathway in casual jog. I'd experiment for conclusions (namely, does rolling into more than one vase grant more fire defense?) but no way in Hell am I doing that shit again. :/

The kind of man that's FUCKIN' INVINCIBLE!
Orma and Reeve's Greatshields are pretty awesome for sure.
I just realized that you posted the link to the video already
The problem with that part is that there's no indicative of how long or how efficient getting doused is. But it is. I'd go as far as saying as rolling into those vases offers more protection than anything else.
Yeah the lava path next to the Smelter Demon fog door was a cake walk, and I think it might have something to do with the fact that I doused myself in the water from the nearby Pharros Contraption.
I think it has special properties other than health recovery.

Also check it out, this guys used Skullgirls music in his video.

Last edited:
YOU LEVELED UP DEX!? You aren't supposed to tell people you leveled that shit up!

YOU LEVELED UP DEX!? You aren't supposed to tell people you leveled that shit up!
Don't you have some homework you should be doing?

Don't you have some homework you should be doing?
Yes, but who cares about history, dark souls is way more important.

EDIT: just stumbled upon this. It's a fan made video where someone tries to figure out the lyrics to the theme of Sir Alonne. Maybe it's total bollocks but I think the effort is applaudable. When's Skullheart Arrhythmia with Latin lyrics?

that's really cool and hopefully even more is done to make it mroe accurate.

Also check it out, this guys used Skullgirls music in his video.
My immediate reaction was to groan and scoff at the equipment choices - "Ugh...it's THIS build again." (which, incidentally, backs up my claim about Syan/Helix halberds) - but then I noticed the nuance: he's using broken weapons so the whole thing is a gigantic bluff and it manages to work since most players completely turn tail at the sight of him. That said, he should show invasions on places rife with holes (like Amana) to see how many people will clumsily run to their deaths instead of calling his bluff.

Side note, got fed up with those tigers and started NG++. Currently at SL130 but since I have souls to go nuts on levels, I looked at how I'll finalize it. OCD'ing like Zen, I could comfortably finish it at SL172; I say "comfortably" because pure melee builds do have that good thing about them - I don't need to OD on levels and could well stop at SL150 (of course, ATN, INT and FTH remain untouched).
Anyway, of my inaugural first 10 levels, 5 went to STR and I can now 1-hand Raime's UGS and by Gwyn's beard, that thing is amazing!
For starters, it's huge and hits like a truck (with just 40 STR, the S scaling in STR adds 200+ to its damage), has sufficiently good stability and resistances that you can use it as a shield and, my favorite, the 2H L2 is a powerful downward swing with a auto-block with very generous active frames - basically, if you see enemies about to take a swing at you, just hit L2 to block and smash. Coupled with a Evil Eye Ring, it might be possible to earn back the negligible damage taken. Alas, because every thorn has its roses, the weapon's move set is mostly comprised of vertical slashes so, for PvP it seems to be a weapon that favors a passive approach of reading your opponent's moves and punish accordingly and, on PvE, you can get some derpy moments of completely missing a locked-on enemy because he took a step to the side.
Highly recommend this weapon.
Fume_Ultra_Greatsword.png

Fashion protip: Raime's armor goes well with Drakeblood set parts.

EDIT: like Skyrim with swords! 10/10 it's okay

Last edited:
Anyway, of my inaugural first 10 levels, 5 went to STR and I can now 1-hand Raime's UGS and by Gwyn's beard, that thing is amazing!
That's one of the downsides to my build, I can't play with the really big toys. Sure I can two hand the weapon and make it usable but it just isn't the same nor is it as effective as actually having the stats for it. I think my next two builds are going to be a Hexer Rogue build and a Pure Warrior build, just so I can have fun with different playstyle.
Fashion protip: Raime's armor goes well with Drakeblood set parts.
I usually carry around three sets of armor. Light cloth gear just for getting around with some decent protection, medium weight armor for when I get into some serious fights, and my fashion souls outfit for showing off.
I'm actually starting to get tired of the Royal Swordsman Set, none of the armor sets in this game really suits me. Artorias had some style, I wish there was more gear like that in this game.

Now lets talk about Covenants. I maxed out with the Bell Keepers I'm moving on to the Company of Champions so I can get that Vanquisher's Seal. Gonna be killing Drakes and Lizards at the Aerie while luring invaders for Awestones.

That's one of the downsides to my build, I can't play with the really big toys.
Your build is basically my first build in DS1 (balanced across all stats ) so you can be a jack-of-all-trades but, alas, a master of none. Way I see it, it's a approach that trades optimization for versatility. You can fiddle with a bit of everything but all the big boy weapons and spells are out of reach. Though, my build was a result of ignorance (didn't know about the "unwritten rules" of level capping) and wanting to use some weapons (like Artorias' sword) that require a modest investment in every stat.
I have to confess it took me this game to truly understand stat investment, weapon scaling and infusions to the point of making educated decisions about them.

Artorias had some style, I wish there was more gear like that in this game.
Raime's set is the closest IMHO as both have a lean, decrepit appearance and are animal-themed. Arty's is wolf and Raime's is crow.
set-of-artorias-large.jpg

raime-s-set-lg.jpg

Personally, while I like Artorias' set, I don't think it really works for the player character. Same goes for plenty of sets, like Velstadt's. I think they're better on considerably more physically imposing figures. I wish that, like Dragon's Dogma, physique customization would apply to height and girth but I can understand why such a thing is not possible. Not only because of the problems it would cause for balancing PvP but also, I imagine, budget issues. These games have very modest budgets (while Dragon's Dogma is something where Capcom burned ridiculous amounts of cash).

Company of Champions
Protip for farming Awestones: play Grave of Saints offline and kill the AI invader. Resting at a bonfire causes him to respawn. Add ascetics to the mix and maxing the covenant can be done quite easily.

And congratulations on maxing the Bell Keeper covenant. That's certainly something I didn't have the patience to go through with.

Your build is basically my first build in DS1 (balanced across all stats ) so you can be a jack-of-all-trades but, alas, a master of none.
This is my third build and I designed it with a very specific idea in mind. The combination of Pyromancy and Swordplay. Pyromancy scales off both INT and FTH and ideally I would use a sword that scales decently off of both STR and DEX. That's four combat stats used not as a jack-of-all-trades, but rather a master of a very unique trade that combines jack level stats. My health and stamina are high just because I like it that way, and VIT, ADP, and ATT are where I make sacrifices.

It's been working very well so far, this build is strong but it has it's weakness just like yours.
By the way you should take a screen shot to show us yours.
Personally, while I like Artorias' set, I don't think it really works for the player character. Same goes for plenty of sets, like Velstadt's. I think they're better on considerably more physically imposing figures.
Yeah I agree with that. For a while I used Alva's Armor because it's like a red version of Artorias' Armor made for the player character. I think I'm going to switch to the regular old Knight Set and see how that looks, I like the exposed face visor.
And congratulations on maxing the Bell Keeper covenant. That's certainly something I didn't have the patience to go through with.
30 of the 100 kills necessary to reach Rank 3 was from the Mad Warrior in Belfry Sol, so it wasn't that difficult.
Thanks for the tip.

so i just got my desktop which means i'm able to play dark souls 2 again, i started a playthrough since i lost all my characters but i don't mind too much.

Man if I lost all of my data I would be sooooo pissed. I spent so much time on this one character getting all this stuff that I'm never gonna use. I just recently got the full Shadow Set and I'm going for the Visible Aurous Set next.

By the way, holy fuck Aurous is fucking tough.

it sucks but i don't mind making new characters, and playthroughs get much faster, my current character is about halfway through the non dlc game and it was only in 6 hours which is nice.

idk about the dark souls 1 thing.

i pretty completed my latest run of DS2 with the third dlc, and i love it it's a really cool place with lots of nice stuff. i even like frigid outskirts a lot, i have also invaded a bit there as well which is funny.
also the butchers knife is a really fun weapon to use.

After many months passed and hundreds of hours invested in Dark Souls 2, I finally decided to revisit Lordran...and holy crap, did I get my Undead teeth kicked in. <:3

Going back to it after too much time in leisurely Drangleic really highlights the differences. It's a strange combination of opposites with some things being faster and others being slower but, ultimately, DS1 feels slower. Noticeable differences in DS1:
- Movement and attack speeds feel slower;
- Stamina allows for more actions, especially running.
- Difference between roll speeds is astronomical. Average roll in DS1 feels like fat roll in DS2 and I forgot that loud, unelegant clunk that comes with DS1's fat roll;
- Backstabs can be triggered much quicker. Coupled with the roll speeds, it's probably better to just circle a opponent instead of trying to roll through a attack;
- Chugging Sunny D is a LOT faster, both the animation and HP bar refill;
- Ripostes are remarkably easier to do. Together with special parry animations, it's very simple to pull them off on reaction;
- Forgot that standard upgrade path to most weapons goes up to +15;
- Bows feel more awkward to use as well as slower so the DS2 tactic of locking-on and shooting arrows like crazy doesn't work here;
- Menus are a mess to navigate, especially compared to those of DS2;
- You can buy tools to repair and upgrade gear in bonfires (something I wish made it to DS2);
- And quite possibly the most important aspect - enemies in post-NG cycles are remarkably more vicious. Basic Hollows can deal 1/2 HP worth of damage in one hit;
- (Personal) Tons of stuff to max out (standard Slabs are extremely scarce, around 5 per playthrough, including the DLC area);
- (Personal) Incredibly limited armory and wardrobe (my Paladin basically has one set). T_T

Anywho, took a short peak at each of my builds to see where I left off. My Paladin still hasn't beat NG++ Manus and I took a shot at it only to get unceremoniously kneaded into a bloody paste (hardest boss in the series IMHO).
My low level DEX character just entered NG+ and I am going to follow through with that, to see if I can clear NG+ in SL44.

Shameful admission time - I'd love to play DS1 with some of DS2's commodities, namely 3 weapon slots, easier bow controls, simpler menus and summon signs that don't disappear whenever you take two freakin' steps away from them (seriously, this was a MASSIVE improvement in DS2).

Side note, reviewing the stats, the discussion about the soft cap in DS2 being higher makes a lot of sense. In DS1, a single stat manages several aspects (per instances, stamina, equipment load and bleed resistance are all assigned to one) while in DS2, they are scattered across several, which justifies the need to go beyond the DS1 cap of SL125.

tl; dr - I'm replaying DS1 and getting my ass kicked <:3

so i started playing a dirty hexer scum character and they're pretty fun even though i still need some more stats for some of the better spells. i managed to get the sanctum priestess tiara for massive fashion souls. also putting souls in the right slots is super important and using spells is also pretty hard.

also do soul stealing hexes taking more souls than what's the maximum benefit for them?

Last edited:
The best part of Scholar of the First Sin is some features are free. If you already have Dark Souls II on PS3, XB360, and PC (DX9) you'll get updates in patch 1.10 that include:
  • New characters and events
  • Story and world additions
  • Various balancing tweaks
Seekers of flame that go for the next-gen version, get the above, plus:
  • Graphics and performance upgrades
  • Improved online multiplayer (includes 6 player sessions. e.g. host +5 phantoms in same world)
  • Enemy and game design adjustments
  • All 3 DLC expansions
Server regions will be split like this:
PS3 = A, 360 = B, PC(DX9) = C, PS4 = D, XBO = E, PC(DX11) = F

Source: http://darksouls.jp/pc/scholar_of_the_first_sin_specmatrix.html
translated by CountAntonius

It's kinda annoying that PC users might have to pay again to get the game they should've gotten in the first place... I mean most of the graphical updates are probably things they cut out from E3 demo.

Though From Software did say on Twitter they have an announcement regarding this and PC next month so perhaps we'll get some kind of special offer.

Are there gonna be any sales around Thanksgiving?
I want the Three Crowns DLC but they're really expensive.

well, I guess it's good I haven't even bought DS2. I was thinking about getting on the next steam sale finally since the last DLC came out, but I think I'll wait for this new revision.

And if From wants maximum fan service/sales, one of those new NPCs better be Priscilla.

:PUN:

more NPCs is always awesome. also I hope they say soon how they're handling the PC version, i heard they're mentioning something in a month or so.

Maybe there will even be lighting .

Reactions: ruins72
Wait, I don't understand what is Scholar of the First Sin?
Is it new DLC or a re-release of the whole game?

Wait, I don't understand what is Scholar of the First Sin?
Is it new DLC or a re-release of the whole game?
next gen re-release with some new content that is being givin out for free with poeple who have the game already, however the updated graphics and 6 player multiplayer is for the next gen only.