• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

To me This could mean that Beowulf was somewhat of an idol to the egret army and even parasoul back when she was younger.
her idol was already Annie, you can only have one idol.

Having two idols is like having two waifus. IT WILL RUIN YOU!

Beowulf is a wrestler he pobably already has WAY MORE than two waifu's. I know I would ;)

Recent Salty! update says that the crowd would still be audible in the empty NMO Arena because it would all be in Beowulf's imagination.

That means something.

So beowulf is crazy? kinda makes sense with his voice lines.

Perhaps he's deluded in his wrestling fantasy, probably because he misses the sport so much.

Sounds like things a crazy person would do. Don't get me wrong this makes me like him even more.

Reactions: Kuzlalala
The story is actually just Beowulf escaping from a mental asylum and stumbling upon the skullgirl.
He didn't really retire, they just didn't want the masses to know that their idol went to the city asylum.

OR he is chased by Lab 0 to become an experiment moments after Grendel's mother's murder. Maybe Beowulf became depressed and hallucinates under fighting deprivation, gets chased (and banged?) by Valentine to become a revolutionary solution against the Skullgirls, and then gets recruited by Double in disguise to be a wrestler with the Canopy Kingdom as the "ring".

What if Beowulf is your opponent, though? Wouldn't it not make sense if the player we're playing "hears" Beowulf's crowd sfx and thus cannot use the "it's Beowulf's imagination" explanation?

Wouldn't it not make sense if the player we're playing "hears" Beowulf's crowd sfx and thus cannot use the "it's Beowulf's imagination" explanation?
His insanity has destroyed reality leading up to skullgirls 2 where he becomes the key for Aeon and Venus to manifest themselves in the world.

That means something.
Not really? It could be just an excuse to keep a very necessary gameplay element.
Remember this is a video game first and foremost.
Sounds like things a crazy person would do.
Nooo... That's comepletely normal.
Sometimes when I'm training by myself I like to imagine that a crowd of people are cheering me on, just to motivate myself. I don't understand why so many people want Beowulf to have PTSD or some other mental illness, it's kinda disturbing to be honest.

Sometimes when I'm training by myself I like to imagine that a crowd of people are cheering me on, just to motivate myself.

If that's the case Beowulf's crowd can easily be applied to every stage.

Besides, Mike said that it's "depressing", so maybe there will be a depressing element to Beo's Story Mode.

I don't understand why so many people want Beowulf to have PTSD or some other mental illness, it's kinda disturbing to be honest.
I think it's perfectly fine to want to see beowulf have PTSD or something, it makes him seem more human.
If anything, I'd be more concerned if he DIDN'T end up having PTSD.
I mean, he just killed someone there's no way to justify that when he could have just knocked her out instead of killing her.
This is also my reasoning for why I see him fighting Marie as a quest for redemption.

This is also my reasoning for why I see him fighting Marie as a quest for redemption.
inb4 Beo dies and says that he deserves this and everyone cries harder than when facing Squigly's ending

I also kinda find it weird how Beo calls Marie in two ways and one of them is kinda quiet.

Then again he probably said "I am the legend killer!" after defeating Marie so maybe he wouldn't actually fight Marie for redemption.

Surprise

Beowulf has been a heel this entire time

Reactions: Fumako
Besides, Mike said that it's "depressing", so maybe there will be a depressing element to Beo's Story Mode.
Depressing can be any number of things, it doesn't necesarily mean that Beowulf has to be crazy.
Also I missed last night's Salty so I'd appreciate it if someone filled me in.
I think it's perfectly fine to want to see beowulf have PTSD or something, it makes him seem more human.
If anything, I'd be more concerned if he DIDN'T end up having PTSD.
I've never understood this mindset. There are other, better ways of making a character feel human without having to mentally or physically break them with trauma. In fact from my point of view a character's resilience to hardship is more believably human.
I mean, he just killed someone there's no way to justify that when he could have just knocked her out instead of killing her.
You don't know the context of the situation so you can't make that judgement.
For all we know he had no choice at all.

You don't know the context of the situation so you can't make that judgement.
For all we know he had no choice at all.
Yeah, but just because his hand was forced doesn't necessarily mean he isn't burdened by the act.
I mean look at soldiers
I've never understood this mindset. There are other, better ways of making a character feel human without having to mentally or physically break them with trauma. In fact from my point of view a character's resilience to hardship is more believably human.
Well, it isn't really my mindset too; it's just that a possibly traumatic experience has happened canonically to Beowulf and I think it justifies him, not necessarily being mentally broken, being burdened by it in some way. And I do believe him resilient to hardship, but it's just that no matter how resilient you are it's going to stick with you.

Yeah, but just because his hand was forced doesn't necessarily mean he isn't burdened by the act.
I mean look at soldiers
That's what I've been saying since day one, that Beowulf may feel guilty about killing Grendel's Mother despite being forced to do so, spurring his decision to retire.
Well, it isn't really my mindset too; it's just that a possibly traumatic experience has happened canonically to Beowulf and I think it justifies him, not necessarily being mentally broken, being burdened by it in some way. And I do believe him resilient to hardship, but it's just that no matter how resilient you are it's going to stick with you.
I completely agree with you here, I just don't like to see things like PTSD and mental illness thrown around casually as story drama, and it bugs me even more when people say that they like to see a character go through this when they don't have to.

Reactions: Fumako
Do you know what I like to see? The origin of Beowulf getting his name with all the Geats and Heorot.

If that's the case Beowulf's crowd can easily be applied to every stage.

We're not sure if what is depressing for Mike is the same for us, though
It might as well be Beowulf having to eat cheap noodles for the rest of his life

inb4 Beo dies and says that he deserves this and everyone cries harder than when facing Squigly's ending

What about Eliza story?

Anyway I don't want beowulf to have PTSD it dosen't fit his character. I'd imagine beowulf is just over confident

What about Eliza story?
Nah that just makes fans angry.

I see Beowulf having some sort of mental illness to some degree but not PTSD. I mean, I think Beowulf imagines the crowd because he loves wrestling so much to the point of obsession, not as a wound from the past.

Or they just wanted to use the games assets.

Could just be over thinking it.

I think we are. We're kinda getting into weird headcanon territory here. I mean we are literally picking apart every voice line and quote when they could just be jokes nothing more.

Reactions: Shockdingo
I mean we are literally picking apart every voice line and quote when they could just be jokes nothing more.

This is what I find as entertaining creativity exercise.

Reactions: Denizen and Fumako
What are we supposed to do?
We could try to be a little more realistic when we're talking here.

Reactions: Magma442
This is what I find as entertaining creativity exercise.

Sounds like we're being crazy lore theorist here.

Then again I'm not really one to talk.

I WANT YOU TO CONFORM WITH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYY REALITY
jk jk
More realistic conjectures would be appreciated though.
No, "HE SAID A THING IN THE LINES IT MEANS HE WAS A WAR IDOL WHO KILLED THE KING WITH HIS BARE-HANDS," please.

Reactions: Magma442
I'd would love to see beowulf kill the king then become king himself.

I actually kind of liked Kuzla's thoughts that Beowulf could be from another kingdom. Maybe not as royalty, but just as an immigrant so we can learn what other places are like.
Of course Beowulf's a "Real Canopian" so that's quickly shut down.

Beowulf was left in a reed basket in front of a gigan house.
As the residents gathered over him the elder of the house shouts, "WE SHALL TAKE HIM AS OUR OWN AND RAISE HIM AS A WARRIOR THE LIKES OF WHICH THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN"
One of the gigans then proceeds to cradle Beowulf in his palm.

I actually kind of liked Kuzla's thoughts that Beowulf could be from another kingdom.

Compared to the rest of the cast (with the exception of Eliza.) he does seem most different from people who come from the kingdom.

Compared to the rest of the cast (with the exception of Eliza.) he does seem most different from people who come from the kingdom.
How so?
This statement is basically just, "Oh Joe from work wears a coat, must be from some other country," to me

Reactions: Kai
How so?
This statement is basically just, "Oh Joe from work wears a coat, must be from some other country," to me

Personality wise and his stage seems I dunno "detached" compared to the high society stages like glass canopy and the seedy underbelly of the kingdom like new merdian.

He seems detached personality wise compared to the cast who are most seriously or have a morbid sense of humor. The only character who seems similar to him personality wise is Cerebella.

Personality should not factor into what country you're from though...
Unless we have information on the living conditions of the other countries.
his stage seems I dunno "detached" compared to the high society stages like glass canopy and the seedy underbelly of the kingdom like new merdian.
I don't know if you know this but...
A wrestling ring WOULD feel detached from high-society gatherings and seedy places of the kingdom's underbelly. WAIT NEW MERIDIAN IS THE UNDERBELLY??
IT'S A GOD DAMN WRESTLING RING
IT'S ALL HYPE AND POW AND KABLAMO
GLASS CANOPY IS ALL CHAMPAGNE AND TALKY TALKY
AND NEW MERIDIAN IS A CITY
What do you even mean by detached...