• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

Double was the dragon all along. That made my night. Also, Stanley being alive, Feng being contorted, Minette being chosen to be the camera girl, and Annie being an overall badass. I think we found our poster girl for Skullgirls 2!

I woke at 4:30 am to play this and don't regret it
Woof is so stupid and I love him
Beo is the smartest kind of stupid. He has what a lot of "smart" people lack.

Chair Smart?
He's got heart, and he sees the good in people first. Perhaps too often, but it's something to be admired, not pitied. He's easily tricked yeah, but as soon as he learns the truth he knows exactly the right thing to do. I look up to people like that, and I would never call them fools.

He's got heart, and he sees the good in people first. Perhaps too often, but it's something to be admired, not pitied. He's easily tricked yeah, but as soon as he learns the truth he knows exactly the right thing to do. I look up to people like that, and I would never call them fools.
No better smart than heart smart,I see.

Reactions: Kai and Kuzlalala
I can relate to Beowulf in that he's naive and full of energy (except that he's not as socially awkward as I am). I kinda hope that we'll get more info from his character page in Skullgirls.com I personally want him to know a lot about stuff from reading but idk

I kinda hope that we'll get more info from his character page in Skullgirls.com
Speaking of which, the character pages look like they're under maintenance.
We can expect that info soon.

Reactions: Kuzlalala
Ok I'll admit it Annie's cool.

But Im still glad Squigly and Beowulf got picked instead of Annie.

WHEN'S BATHROBE BUM BEOWULF COSTUME GONNA COME OUT?!

I just noticed... that aside from Beowulf's (awesome) slicked hair... he has become clean-shaven.

Good bye, Beowulf's beard. You are too good for this world.

Yo I got an important question. Was Zane a real person, and Double just took his form? Or was Double always Zane, even years ago when Beowulf fought Grendel?

Yo I got an important question. Was Zane a real person, and Double just took his form? Or was Double always Zane, even years ago when Beowulf fought Grendel?
I used to think Zane was just someone who Double made disappear,but Double's been around for a very long time it seems.
Maybe Double just has a good talent for making up characters?

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Stanley's the only concious one in Double's little stomache of hell. I dunno, that feels like a nice touch to me.

Mr8Te5g.png

Peacock trying to find sense in something was literally the best thing ever.

Man

I would've shat myself if as a surprise we had a tag battle with Beowulf + Annie against Double. Too bad it was just a cutscene :( the build-up almost convinced me.

It was a funny and enjoyable story. Eliza's story is still my favourite, tho.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
WOW, Beowulf's like 7 years older than I thought. Also finally someone with my blood type.
I have no idea what to make of these likes and dislikes though.

Birthday
: March 31
Bloodtype
: O
Height
: 6’7”
Weight
: 287 lbs
Measurements
: 55-38-42

Hunting, working snug, sweaters, tour buses, boots, ladders, fluorescent light tubes, guaranteed money contracts, microbrews, the sound of an excited crowd, merchandise, chamomile tea

Dislikes
Professional writing staff, refined sugar, Allen keys, snakes, disqualifications, taking vacation time, spray on tans, indoor voices, being told what to do, being told what to wear, potatoes
Ok, I'm pretty sure they took some stuff from me, lol. Not gonna say what. :P

Beowulf's legit had me lauging or at least chuckling most of the way through it. So in my book, its the best story :D
His arc may have been the most obvious and not spoken to me as much as others here, but it was able to do that AND be quite humorous at the same time. Man L0, you guys are so amazing I don't even freaking know!

I'd like to point out that Beowulf's ending is the happiest ending, where everyone lives, even Dr. Avian.
Therefore it's the most canon, don't argue with me on this, I w i l l f i g h t y o u.
Maybe that last shot of Lab 8 had a Peacock from a different timeline who somehow broke spacetime and got a chance to view the Beowulf storyline like we did. Only reason I can think of that explains why BB says Val and Double got to Avian after his fight, but he shows up alive and well in the last shot.

Every time a new character comes out and we play their story mode, everyone's like 'holy fuck, they really nailed it. They are never going to top this' and they manage to top it every single time.

Happened with Squigs, then BB, then Eliza, and now this hulking mass of BEEF'N'CHEESE.

Night Phyre, can you check the speculations section on the OP and cross out which ones aren't correct? There are some that are just unconfirmed.

Also, you said that you'll answer some questions once he comes out right? So... Is Beowulf considered religious and/or smart?

Tbh I'm quite disappointed that there aren't a lot of Old English/Viking references in his biography. But I guess I gotta hold it. :/

Will Beowulf ever have a family, or is he just not that kind of guy?
I mean he's 37.

I'm interested in knowing why his name is Beowulf and why his moves are Geatish. I thought it'd have to do with his being a bookworm, but "books" isn't one of his likes.

I think the closest Viking reference to Beo's bio is the mention of hunting and microbrewery.

He's already in a deep, committed relationship with that folding chair.
Another queston, is the black and gold Star Chair at the end just a prop, or is it The Hurting painted a different color?
I hope Beo's not the type of guy to cheat on a spouse.

Reactions: BeatNinja
Night Phyre, can you check the speculations section on the OP and cross out which ones aren't correct? There are some that are just unconfirmed.

Also, you said that you'll answer some questions once he comes out right? So... Is Beowulf considered religious and/or smart?

Tbh I'm quite disappointed that there aren't a lot of Old English/Viking references in his biography. But I guess I gotta hold it. :/
I think he's likely not very religious, but he did go to a church when Grendel's arm came to life, so he's probably like a lot of people in our own world: religiously taught, to some degree, but not necessarily practicing. He probably went to church as a kid.
Will Beowulf ever have a family, or is he just not that kind of guy?
I mean he's 37.
They kinda sidestepped it, honestly; he's only home for a single scene. For all we know, his wife was at work and his kids at school. Being who he is, though, a traditional family seems unlikely. My own head canon, as some of you know, has him with Mrs Victoria, probably in a common law marriage, and maybe a few little wolves running around. I doubt we'll see anything fleshing out his home life until a canon story mode, should it include him.
Another queston, is the black and gold Star Chair at the end just a prop, or is it The Hurting painted a different color?
I hope Beo's not the type of guy to cheat on a spouse.
Dunno. Probably more of a choice made for comedic/aesthetic effect, and not canonically relevant.

@Night Phyre , the end of the Beowulf Trailer showed The Hurting with cute lil blushes on its face. Is this canon?

Eh, I should probably make one of my questions clear then: why is Beowulf called Beowulf and why are his move names in Old English? Can this be explained in the Skullgirls universe?

Dunno. Probably more of a choice made for comedic/aesthetic effect, and not canonically relevant.
So it's sort of like Vice Versa in Cerebella's ending.

Reactions: Kai
Eh, I should probably make one of my questions clear then: why is Beowulf called Beowulf and why are his move names in Old English? Can this be explained in the Skullgirls universe?
Same as having our holidays in their world. How does Christmas or Easter exist in a world with no Abrahamic faiths? They just do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I sincerely doubt there is any lore-relevant reasoning. It's mostly that he's named Beowulf, and so he stylistically borrows some things from the literary figure.

Oh here's a good one. So Beowulf really is his real name?
I thought it's be just a stage name, but everyone calls him that.

Reactions: Kuzlalala
I sincerely doubt there is any lore-relevant reasoning. It's mostly that he's named Beowulf, and so he stylistically borrows some things from the literary figure.

Now that you say it, Annie did say that Beowulf reminded her of a companion of her. Maybe that person is the the equivalent to Beowulf in our world whose name is Beowulf as well.

Reactions: Muro and Kai
A lot of this other lore stuff is not something I can answer. I'd mostly just be making an educated guess on things like, "where is he originally from?" or, "how long has he been retired?" or, "is Beowulf his real name?" I don't think it's a good idea to take my word as law for this extended lore stuff. I'll answer what I can, but for the most part, you all now know as much as I do about Beowulf.

My guesses, though are:
  • he's a native Canopian
  • he's been retired for years, but his fall from stardom might have taken a long time, so it really is a pure guess as to how many years
  • Beowulf probably isn't a real name, but neither is Valentine, Big Band, Squigly, Painwheel, Peacock, Filia, or Eliza.. so... yeah.

Reactions: Denizen