• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

Oh good, I guess that means we don't have to ask any questions any more.

what was beowulfs hiegt again? Is he taller than val?
His height is 6'7". So yes, he is taller than Valentine.

Is Filia not her real name?

I thought it was.

Is Filia not her real name?

I thought it was.
Pretty sure it is, Painwheel calls her by that name, so...

Maybe his folks were real bookworms and wanted him to grow into someone great so they named him after a beloved literary figure?

Reactions: Kuzlalala
I knew to expect Annie from the Salty update thread, but I didn't realize just how big a role she would have in this story. Advising Beowulf. Bailing him out not once, but twice. I'd say Annie pretty much stole the spotlight here, even though she's not playable. Yet.

I was also happy to see D. Violet make a cameo. Well, at first I was all "D. VIOLET, NO! D:" But she survived, so it's cool.

So the playable Skullgirls characters whose real names are unknown are Filia, Cerebella, and Beowulf. Got it, got it.

May I point out that Beowulf's sprites don't look as detailed as the other characters'? Is it because of budget-related stuff or what?

Ugh, I thought fighting Nightmare Marie with Big Band was rough, but that was nooo-o-o-o-thing compared to this! I even told myself I wouldn't get dinner until I beat her, but after a while, I was seriously worried that I wasn't going to eat tonight. I could totally empathize with Beowulf's struggle after that.

Those vertical Skull Trains, man...they just destroy dreams.

Ended up relying on gigan fist fighting for the first phase.
Chair debonair tactics for the second.
Blockbusters for the third.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
What got me with my guard low was that Avian was still alive in the ending.

I also like to say that Beowulf witnessed Annie saving the day. It was more of Annie's story.

Reactions: DDB
dat german suplex.JPG
DAT GERMAN SUPLEX!
Glad beowulf beat at least Grendel's arm on his own.

What also has me thinking is how lightly everyone tought about Gehenna "meh, just meaty, creepy place" and that there was a cave in between Gehenna and the catacombs, with a staircase no less.

I can't belive I'm saying this but Annie saved everyone. Beowulf in hindsight really just screwed everyone over and had a redemption with a hand. Annie literally saved the day.

I think I'm in the Annie camp now.

Reactions: DDB and Dio Brando
Seriously though, is Annie so important to you guys that I have to change the title to "Annie and Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore"?

Not really important to us but she is important to the story. It felt like Beowulf was the assist character in Annie's story. He just kinda sets up the problems that Annie has to fix like beating everyone so double can eat them. Beowulf really doesn't do anything.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I was talking about Annie being so important in Beo's story that I should put it in the title.

I wouldn't because it IS still a spoiler in a way.

Annie is our Love, Annie is our Life. We will never be safe without Annie, No one is. As long as she (and Beowulf) is here, She will defend everybody (But mostly DDB) from 'Dat Ass' Double.
Okay, time to discuss about the story mode now.
So, Beowulf and Annie in correlation. The lore said that Beowulf treats Annie like any other TV show celebrity, but with respect. Why in the hell would he b-slap the hell outta Annie when he met her again? Is it because of his long absence from the television or other reasons, maybe?

Annie is our Love, Annie is our Life. We will never be safe without Annie, No one is. As long as she (and Beowulf) is here, She will defend everybody (But mostly DDB) from 'Dat Ass' Double.
So, Beowulf and Annie in correlation. The lore said that Beowulf treats Annie like any other TV show celebrity, but with respect. Why in the hell would he b-slap the hell outta Annie when he met her again? Is it because of his long absence from the television or other reasons, maybe?

I think it's more he doesn't think it's the same person. He thinks it's a different kid then the one he used to work with.

Reactions: Kai
I read somewhere that lore that don't exist in the Story Mode can change.

Anyway I don't mind the idea that Annie is the important character, but I would like it if Annie doesn't dominate this thread. This is for Beo, not Annie.

Reactions: Denizen
Not really important to us but she is important to the story. It felt like Beowulf was the assist character in Annie's story. He just kinda sets up the problems that Annie has to fix like beating everyone so double can eat them. Beowulf really doesn't do anything.

Actually, it felt like more as a growing up story. Except that Annie (ironically) is the old master and Beowulf is the rebellious student.

And saying that he only beat Grendel's arm is unfair. He beat Grendel's arm AND the freaking Skullgirl.

Actually, it felt like more as a growing up story. Except that Annie (ironically) is the old master and Beowulf is the rebellious student.

And saying that he only beat Grendel's arm is unfair. He beat Grendel's arm AND the freaking Skullgirl.
If not for Annie, Beowulf will not be able to defeat the Skullgirl completely. The reason she is there is to defy the storyline of Beowulf's original poem, in which he dies from the 'dragon' that is Agatha/Lamia/Double her/itself.

EDIT to continue the description of what's wrong with the statement: And if Annie hadn't showed up when Beowulf is going to be eaten, Marie will obviously survive and Double can still wreak havoc on the entirety of Canopy Kingdom.

Yeah Beowulf would've been stuck inside double if Annie did not cut through.

If not for Annie, Beowulf will not be able to defeat the Skullgirl completely. The reason she is there is to defy the storyline of Beowulf's original poem, in which he dies from the 'dragon' that is Agatha/Lamia/Double her/itself.

EDIT to continue the description of what's wrong with the statement: And if Annie hadn't showed up when Beowulf is going to be eaten, Marie will obviously survive and Double can still wreak havoc on the entirety of Canopy Kingdom.

There's nothing wrong with the statement. Many times the master has to HELP the student, besides how the final match would go if it was Marie and Double tag teaming anyone?

Also, the protagonist of a story doesn't have always to be the Super-Hero that saves everyone. Not synonimous.

It would be boring if all stories were like that.

Sometimes the protagonist is a manipulated fool that ends up screwing nice people, squishing kitties with their hands and killing old ladies.

There's nothing wrong with the statement. Many times the master has to HELP the student, besides how the final match would go if it was Marie and Double tag teaming anyone?

Also, the protagonist of a story doesn't have always to be the Super-Hero that saves everyone. Not synonimous.

It would be boring if all stories were like that.

Sometimes the protagonist is a manipulated fool that ends up screwing nice people and squishing kitties with their hands.
Touche.

Okay, I'm raising another question. This time about Double and her/its various names. So far, we've known three different names for her/it, those three being Agatha/Lamia/Double. Anyone would mind to do some explaining? This raises a question to my head since 'Double' is already her fake name. Why would she/it need more?

I assume double steals other people's appearance. Think of double like The Thing. She kills the person then takes on their identify

Touche.

Okay, I'm raising another question. This time about Double and her/its various names. So far, we've known three different names for her/it, those three being Agatha/Lamia/Double. Anyone would mind to do some explaining? This raises a question to my head since 'Double' is already her fake name.

"Agatha" must be a fake name she uses in her nun disguise.

"Lamia", well she seems to be an avatar, or a piece of the Goddesses Lamia. So, being her mouth and her ears, she kinda is Lamia.

"Double"... Good question. I think it could have been the mortals who know of her who nicknamed her like that. Double herself doesn't seem to care much about names.