• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

Personal loss is NOT an excuse to kill innocent people.
She had to go down.
This.
Val is operating on a SHITLOAD of drugs that increase her speed and perception to superhuman levels.
DON'T FORGET THE EXPERIMENTAL SURGERIES

FINALLY, some people who think that it's not Annie's story instead of Beowulf's!

btw, I though we're allowed to change our avatars to Story Mode-related pictures on Monday.

Characters appearing in Gehenna scene theory:
Lab Zero often got complaints over Double's ending scene being fetishy and extremely inappropriate; I see the beefcake in Beo's story as a 'fuck you all, we'll do it again, and we're gonna put some man tiddies and overly detailed bulges too'

Last edited:
btw, I though we're allowed to change our avatars to Story Mode-related pictures on Monday.
Well they're not really spoilers, as far as I've seen.

Ok I don't want to continue this because I'm getting too much hate and I dont want to turn this into a hate thread or derail it. so Im going to end it off with this:

Val just felt liked a tack-on fight. she didn't need to be there but was. Her wishing good on someone (No it did not seem like sarcasm) seemed out of place because shes the kind of character who sees people beneath her.

Im glad people liked his story but it left me with a bad taste I felt like it was rushed

if anyone wants to talk with me more about this send me a PM i would love to give my full thoughts

The Wulf Hype was disappointing for me and consider me hoping off the aroo-train.

Kinda glad Beowulf wasn't really a victim to Double's tentacles somehow. I also really like Beowulf in Gehenna. Did not expect that at all.

Well they're not really spoilers, as far as I've seen.

Oh man, and I actually want to change my icon to Super Wulf. That's like, the spoilerest picture ever.

I still don't get why Grendel was like "Let's just settle this on the battleground" without any hint of rage. It seemed more like a friendly-ish rivalry fight and not "You cheated and then killed me I'm going to f'n bash your head in now". I mean, I'd be a little more upset after being drugged and unfairly slaughtered.

Val is operating on a SHITLOAD of drugs that increase her speed and perception to superhuman levels.

Not powers or Living Whatsits
Also Beo has magnets
Hurray for human ingenuity

But yeah okay Val isn't exactly "completely normal"
Back to topic
Double can lay down some sick burns
"I suggest you use that chair for it's intended purpose and sit, boy."
I was all gurl don't dis The Hurting foul move

I mean, I'd be a little more upset after being drugged and unfairly slaughtered.
Grendel knew that none of it was Beowulf's fault, that he was used as propaganda.
He still respects him as a warrior since he was also a victim of deception.

Okay, I guess it's up to you guys to make Beowulf attacked by Double's tentacles.

Like I'd care. :/

I still don't think Beowulf is a hero. He killed a drugged up Giant and kept his arm as a trophy still even if you don't know he was drugged up you don't keep an arm as a trophy. I did feel like his redemption was shallow though.

He seems like a selfish moron. there I said it. Fight me actually don't.

The only thing missing from the story for me was an Eliza fight
I like her and all but she needs her ass kicked

Perhaps Robo-Fortune will do that.

I mean,
Eliza vs Squigly
Beowulf vs Big Band
it might be Robo Fortune vs Eliza.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Perhaps Robo-Fortune will do that.

I mean,
Eliza vs Squigly
Beowulf vs Big Band
it might be Robo Fortune vs Eliza.

Considering Ms. Fortune is in Elizas story that's a possibility

He seems like a selfish moron. there I said it. Fight me actually don't.
Which part though?
I mean, I would totally want to keep a gigan arm somewhere and have it suddenly slap me, leading into a adventure full of fights ending with a suplex and redemption.

Reactions: The Dave
I like how there is an evil Maximilian in his story mode.
So now he'll stream some SG, right?

Everybody gets their own opinion on what they like, it's just a matter of taste. No worries :)

The thing that's making me laugh is that some people are all, "oh man he had to have his ass saved by Annie TWICE, bro! He was in an alternate plane of existence controlled by a reality bending cabal of evil demigods, and then tag teamed by the Skullgirl and a super powerful eldritch abomination! What a pushover, to need help from that!"

It takes 3 or 4 people to kill just the Skullgirl, in the canon story mode, and Beowulf + Annie tag teamed evil by themselves.

Everybody just wants whoever their favorite character is to be as powerful as Eliza. That's never gonna happen, dudes :P

RE: Beowulf vs. Annie's story.
Look, it may be Beowulf's story mode but I honestly think that what little we see of Annie is more interesting to me than Beowulf's character arc. His story of redemption and coming to terms with the truth of his past exploits is all well and good but it's not a narrative I find that compelling. However, Annie being this cryptic immortal warrior who weilds cosmic power and has a knack for being in the right place at the right time...that's interesting.

And Beowulf beating Marie doesn't really mean anything to me because everyone beats Marie in their story mode. It's not like this game only has certain characters fight Marie because of the limited roster. Beowulf vs Eliza was something I was jonesing for for that very reason, it would give him a fresh template since nobody's story mode has them beating Eliza yet and she's clearly boss tier. Marie is not a reliable metric for how strong someone is in this game.

Is it a good story, sure. I don't think it's the best of the IGG story modes (Big Band = Squigly > Eliza > Beowulf) but like I said earlier, it does what it needs to do with the character it had. Beowulf isn't the hero of the Skullgirls story, everything we know at this point indicates that role goes to characters like Filia, Peacock, and Painwheel. So we get a story that tries to give us a "what-if" about a side character that in the full story of the game, might just be an assist option with a few lines of dialogue and character specific interactions, who knows.

It takes 3 or 4 people to kill just the Skullgirl, in the canon story mode, and Beowulf + Annie tag teamed evil by themselves.

Everybody just wants whoever their favorite character is to be as powerful as Eliza. That's never gonna happen, dudes :P
When you think about it, everyone has some kind of partner (usually a parasite/living weapon). Eliza has/is Sekhmet, Annie has Sagan, etc etc.

Only Val & Big Band are solo acts.

Personally, i love double in this story. She brought a lot of interesting flair to it and we got to see a more sinister side to it. Also i hope lab zero goes more into detail into this "sister agatha". I somewhat wish there was more comedic moments but it was a palette cleanser from eliza's story which funny enough the story felt just as dark as eliza's at parts. I somewhat didn't like how annie was the deux ex machina in the story and found it strange is beowulfs opening allowed to him to travel dimensions???? I mean we saw the lab zero cast so clearly the hurting must have some kind of power?? Also, why would double mock him into actually going off to fight the skullgirl? I'm sure "she's" smarter then that. Unless that wasn't double which there is a shape shifter who uses her power for good against the skullheart??? I just felt there were a lot of plot holes in this story. Other then these gripes it was enjoyable.

Beowulf's great
Annie's great
Double's great
this story mode was great
so when are they starting up the Annie crowdfund I want Beowulf to be her spotter in her story like how Annie was in Beo's
just the two of them being legit friends and shit is my favorite thing
it's great
I'm great
you're great
everything's great
god bless

and found it strange is beowulfs opening allowed to him to travel dimensions???? I mean we saw the lab zero cast so clearly the hurting must have some kind of power??

It's a joke.
There's no real grandiose canon explanation, it's just a joke on how wrestlers will tear through sheets with their insignia/image on them.

Also, why would double mock him into actually going off to fight the skullgirl? I'm sure "she's" smarter then that.

Either a) she didn't actually think he would survive fighting Marie so it wasn't a big deal or b) as shown in her own story mode, Double does not like Marie as a Skullgirl and saw this as an opportunity to rub her out, given that that's what she'd been using Beowulf for the rest of his story mode.

Every time I saw an Annie scene, I wanted to shed a small tear for why wasn't she playable. Goddammit.

Also, can someone explain to me that scene where

Beowulf reminded her of someone who helped her when she was in the dumps? It seemed like it was referring to a point when Beowulf was in her show at some point and was referring to him.

Also, can someone explain to me that scene where

Beowulf reminded her of someone who helped her when she was in the dumps? It seemed like it was referring to a point when Beowulf was in her show at some point and was referring to him.
She's probably referring to someone waaaaay back in the day, remember she's over a hundred years old and the person in question is probably dead.

Reactions: Osmiumsmith and Kai
She's probably referring to someone waaaaay back in the day, remember she's over a hundred years old and the person in question is probably dead.
Makes sense. Can't help but think it was probably a very recent reference though.