• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Squigly Tech Thread: Small/Big Tips & Strategy YOU Notice? (NEW THREAD)

@Nuuance Let them tech after the H.divekick. Sing then Daisy. if they are in jumping animation then SBO
The whiff thing is based off of your spacing. c.mk will connect and then s.hp will not connect sometimes because the range of the attack.

Shoutouts to Cybersaiko1 for showing me this.
s.hk > j.mk(x4) > double jump > j.mp > divekick
The timing is pretty strict

Also this
s.hk > j.mk > j.hp > j.lp > call assist > double jump > j.mp > divekick

Not sure how well that setup is with any other assist but with cerecopter it is pretty incredible. you pretty much press j.lp and assist at the same time then jump

I wonder how that would work with fukua assist time to lab when I get home

Does anyone have advice for what to do when you catch them on the top of their head with m.divekick? I catch people like this all of the time, but I can never capitalize off of it.

I pretty much always either go low which is almost always blocked/pushblocked, or I throw which usually gives me enough time to get the charge I need, but very rarely am I an a position to make the most of it.

Is there anything else? The overhead seems a decent choice, but it is slow enough, you are risking a punish... right?

Maybe a TK divekick again?

I usually confirm into st.lp then continue fromm there or confirm into st.lk

Does anyone have advice for what to do when you catch them on the top of their head with m.divekick? I catch people like this all of the time, but I can never capitalize off of it.

I pretty much always either go low which is almost always blocked/pushblocked, or I throw which usually gives me enough time to get the charge I need, but very rarely am I an a position to make the most of it.

Is there anything else? The overhead seems a decent choice, but it is slow enough, you are risking a punish... right?

no tiger knees dude....tiger kneeing in this game is 99% useless and mike made it that way pretty much. Just try to use s.lp or come in from a better angle. Throwing is also good when you notice youre coming in too high.

I don't know the frames offhand, but if you don't have enough frame advantage on hit from your divekick to link a jab, I think your best bet is just to immediately low/throw or just downback if you think they'll reversal.

Your comment about throws is kind of striking to me. Are you saying when you throw people you just charge a stance and that's it? You can combo off throw midscreen by cancelling into either Squigly Battle Opera or Seria Center Stage.

Charged silver chord works for throw conversions as well
Uncharged silver chord works against Big Band, so throw him all you like for free.

This is Skullgirls. You can throw everyone for free. The only way anyone avoids them is with invincible DPs

Throw him and convert into a long amazing combo for free

Edit: Also tiger knees are pretty good with some characters (Parasoul, Big Band, maybe Val? I don't play her.)

Edit: Also tiger knees are pretty good with some characters (Parasoul, Big Band, maybe Val? I don't play her.)
And Eliza (dp TK divekick summon combo)

@mcpeanuts

Yeah I usually get my charge off of a throw. With my team, meter is in pretty short supply, and since Squigs is coming in second, that first throw is usually my opportunity to get a charge.

I do combo using sing when I have it, but I almost never combo off of SBO.

But it sounds like I'll just keep doing more of what I'm doing which is either go for a low or a throw.

PW/Squigly

Squigs likes meter and PW can't gain it for shit.

PW/Squigly

Squigs likes meter and PW can't gain it for shit.
PW also doesn't really spend meter though... I mean sorry if I'm out of place here since this isn't what you originally came to the thread for advice about. I'm just thinking, the most likely scenarios are that Painwheel dies without getting to do anything and Squigly comes in with a bar, or you use Buer Thresher DHC Opera to get Squigly in safely. In the second one if they're blocking the Opera you can get a charge safely while they're blocking it (assuming the Opera makes contact when you use that DHC, I have no idea, haven't tried it). In general when I have Squigly behind my point character it affects how I spend meter with my point. There are times where with another team I would just hit confirm into Argus, but with my current team I'll save it in case Squigly needs it later.

Also when Squigly's on point I'll often go for like half charges when I see my opponent isn't going to be threatening me with anything for like 30 frames or whatever. You can create the space to do this by doing jump back j.HP, then land and start charging. Most characters can't punish you hard for doing this, like maybe Double can twitch punish with car but even then they would have to be scouting it.

PW can spend meter. Her only reversals are meter'ed, and she does benefit from the occasional thresher mash. She also just doesn't gain it all that fast. Usually when I DHC my Squig I'm only sitting on 2 bars. If i'm lucky, I'll have three and Squig gets one to play around with.

Though you might be right, I do need to try and just see if I let PW die instead of trying to save her via DHC as Squig on 2 or 3 bars is a lot better off than a mostly dead PW.

As for charge, if PW dies, it is tough to get because you're going to be coming into pressure, so that's where the throw > charge comes in.

If I DHC, I can almost always get charge while they are bouncing on my SBO.

@Dreamepitaph

I'm leaning about 90% toward MF now. FU is too good on PW. How do the better Squigly's think FU will benefit her?

As for charge, if PW dies, it is tough to get because you're going to be coming into pressure, so that's where the throw > charge comes in.
Honestly in that situation I would value the combo over getting a charge. If they're mutually exclusive I'll take the combo every time. And I do that a lot, where I'll be blocking in the corner then manage to get them with a falling j.LP or something and then tick into a backthrow.

PW can spend meter. Her only reversals are meter'ed, and she does benefit from the occasional thresher mash. She also just doesn't gain it all that fast. Usually when I DHC my Squig I'm only sitting on 2 bars. If i'm lucky, I'll have three and Squig gets one to play around with.

Though you might be right, I do need to try and just see if I let PW die instead of trying to save her via DHC as Squig on 2 or 3 bars is a lot better off than a mostly dead PW.

If I DHC, I can almost always get charge while they are bouncing on my SBO.

@Dreamepitaph

I'm leaning about 90% toward MF now. FU is too good on PW. How do the better Squigly's think FU will benefit her?
Fukua on point GIVES squigly the meter she loves. granted the assist choice is left to be desired but even if point fuku dies....squigs comes in with atleast 2 meter. i should know. i run some teams with that set up

Reactions: NeonNightRider
And Eliza (dp TK divekick summon combo)
Why are people going on about tiger kneed divekick summons...what's the point...? Nvm I'll ask that in Eliza thread.

Anyways with squigs don't bother tiger kneeing :p

Another thing ive found.
c.lk > c.mk > s.hp/s.hk > Centerstage > daisy pusher
So the reason this works is right before s.hp or s.hk come out you are at +5 which means you can do silly things.

Against Up Backers your options are the following
-s.lpx2 (This will catch the up back.) and if they down back then you get the pressure
-jump air throw
-j.lk for more pressure

Against down backers
-the obvious center stage daisy
-c.lk
-throw
-s.lp for more pressure

If they mash s.lp you will beat them if you also mash

Another thing ive found.
c.lk > c.mk > s.hp/s.hk > Centerstage > daisy pusher
So the reason this works is right before s.hp or s.hk come out you are at +5 which means you can do silly things.

Against Up Backers your options are the following
-s.lpx2 (This will catch the up back.) and if they down back then you get the pressure
-jump air throw
-j.lk for more pressure

Against down backers
-the obvious center stage daisy
-c.lk
-throw
-s.lp for more pressure

If they mash s.lp you will beat them if you also mash
soo you cancel s hp? or s hk or what?

So right before the active frames of s.hp or s.hk you cancel it. itll look like its going to hit but yeah. seria cancel that sucker

Time to find a reason to tiger knee divekick. I'll get back to you in about a week on this.

You can make anything safe against standing big band/double with air opera since they are tall enough to hit them. I realized this on accident when i dp'd a double player and then went into opera. Might help you someday.

You can make anything safe against standing big band/double with air opera since they are tall enough to hit them. I realized this on accident when i dp'd a double player and then went into opera. Might help you someday.
DP xx opera is -5 on block anyway
Pretty safe

Dunno sometimes you won't be able to hit them with regular opera if they're right in front of you.
You don't need to hit if you're only -5 and there's a big-ass orb of death behind the opponent that you can pushblock them into if they try anything except grabbing
Might as well be your advantage

You don't need to hit if you're only -5 and there's a big-ass orb of death behind the opponent that you can pushblock them into if they try anything except grabbing
Might as well be your advantage
Oh shit only -5 even if you whiff it. That makes a lot more sense.

Huh, good to know i guess.

keep in mind normal opera lacks hitstop and can be counter super'd

If you cancel out of charged DP on the third hit and go into Opera, BB could PBGC SSJ you. It'll be safe if you cancel out by the second hit.

Regular DP xx Opera is safe on block on BB and Double.

keep in mind normal opera lacks hitstop and can be counter super'd
It can't be countered if they're in blockstun when you use it

Does Squigly's tag-in have any applications? Can you combo from it? It seems... not good relative to my PWs tag-in.

You can only combo it if it causes a wallbounce, otherwise nope.

Does Squigly's tag-in have any applications? Can you combo from it? It seems... not good relative to my PWs tag-in.

I use it occasionally as a cross up move. Like if I see the opponent standing or walking just in front of the tombstone I will hard tag. Pretty gimmicky but seems to surprise people a lot.

Desperation tag out if your point is about to die and Squigly has full life.

Otherwise not really, no. You can combo into it if you are near the corner with some characters.

Yeah it just feels bad. It comes out slow and is punishable from anywhere, but short of catching someone running right past tombstone, it doesn't feel useful. PW's tag-in is sexy from anywhere except with your back to the corner and is fairly easy to combo into (Chord > raw tag). I was just hoping there was some use for Squigs tag that I was missing.

Raw tags aren't meant to be amazing tools, they would be kinda crazy if they were. They allow you to change your team order without spending resources.

But some are amazing tools. Like I said, PWs is great. Bellas can be solid. They are both hyper punishable if you manage to block them (or cause them to whiff), but Squigs seems bad in all situations and isn't even that easy to combo from in the situations in which it can combo.