• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

I don't know, I'm not seeing how SFV is more overly simple than SF4.

Combos are really restricted compared to SFIV, for example in SFIV you could cancel most normals into specials, now it's the other way around. It left the game with very little creative possibilities, and they keep nerfing combos more and more with every patch. This also allowed for more frame-traps, mixups, option selects and generally more tech in SFIV.

Some V-Skills are VERY situatuional, while FA had many universal uses (even though I really didn't like it).

Combos are really restricted compared to SFIV, for example in SFIV you could cancel most normals into specials, now it's the other way around

If you look at SF5 Ryu his non-cancelable buttons all match up to buttons that were also not cancelable in SF4. The only major difference is that cr.LK 's seem to be universally not cancelable in SF5 where as they generally are in SF4. This is true for most of the cast. The main exception being Vega of course what with his claw-on normals being generally not cancelable and claw-off being cancelable which is obviously to encourage the use of claw-off stance.

Also I'd argue that while more combo variety would be cool it doesn't necessarily add much depth to the game.

Reactions: Covenant
Going over the game with guys like DevilJin01 on SRK, the main word that we tend to toss about is "Sirlin", as in it's a game you can play by "sirlining" - finding a couple of good buttons and using them all day. The tradeoff seems to be that the really good normals for this playstyle tend not to be cancelable. The result is something that's very dark ages SF where you tend to want to just walk forward and put hitboxes in front of you, skewing much towards games like A2, 3S and CvS2 pre-roll cancel.

That said, one thing we have noticed is that it seems the game wants to emphasize forward dashing and "dash footsies". It's very much evident in the way Woshige (who also happens to be the game's battle designer) plays the game.
Combos are really restricted compared to SFIV, for example in SFIV you could cancel most normals into specials, now it's the other way around. It left the game with very little creative possibilities, and they keep nerfing combos more and more with every patch. This also allowed for more frame-traps, mixups, option selects and generally more tech in SFIV.

Some V-Skills are VERY situatuional, while FA had many universal uses (even though I really didn't like it).
Part of the game is turning out to be more like 3rd Strike where there's a heavier emphasis on single hit confirms (outside of just going in and "hitting buttenz"). Any longer combos will be based mostly on juggles or spending meter.

I've found that the game is almost completely based around footsie and crush counters. The way the priority system works, the way DPs are punishble, the damage you get from crush counters all lead me to believe that they are going to be an unbelievably massive part of the game.

THe most recent Gootecks and Mike talk on crosscounter really summed it up well.

Reactions: d3v
Not sure if this has been shared here yet, but hit boxes in SFV are much simpler than those in IV.

For example, here's Bison's standing MK.
uQRuTTr.png

Also confirms that they're no longer using the auto generated hit boxes from IV.

Reactions: Spencer
What do you have in mind?

I think a good philosophy is that nothing should be any more complex than it needs to be, and so far the hit/hurtbox part of the game feels pretty solid to me.

For some reason, the front legs of just about any character in the game do not have hurtboxes. It's part of what makes low normals feel stubby. That said, it's probably a design decision to discourage people from just continually poking with low normals. Capcom's been nerfing these, especially crouching mediums since after A2.

And not everybody likes complex hitboxes, more than a few older players actually prefer these simply hitboxes, especially since more complex ones can lead to character specific interactions - something players tend to not like for SF.

Interesting thing that was recently discovered, the game has some sort of ambiguous cross up protection. If you're attacked by a jump in that should be blocked normally, but lands on the other side, you can block it both ways.

Interesting... but there goes the belief that I was a blocking god. Seriously though, I did notice I blocked a lot more cross-ups than I usually do (I'm half free to them).

You'd think that if there's an issue with moves hitting in front and landing behind you'd just give them a little more pushback on hit/block or mess with the collision boxes or something.

Either way when moves hit like that is pretty damn confusing so I'm not sad that they're easy to block.

Yeah this doesn't bother me. It is only going to handle a few niche cases, and with as strong as block strings are... you're still getting a hefty reward for landing even a blocked jump-in.

omg. Laura's alt has even less clothes... why?

Claw's alt has him with... three claws. Jesus finally he needed more of those things, so flimsy that they break off in a fight.

HAH! Zangief running with his old classic anime look!

and Necalli looks like Ogre from Tekken. welp.

Shit and they should have given Chun her classic Alpha costume. I love the sneakers that she wears and the jacket.

Oh God, now laura has 2 terrible costumes, why such tragedy with such an amazing character?

Well, going back to chun, in 2 years, when i'll be able to afford a pc or a ps4.

I remember when Laura leakee and my reaction was "I want to play this character, but man I have to buy a costume day 1", but now it turns out that's actually worse.

At least the Necalli one looks cool, not that I plan to play him.

Why is Rashid Hulk Hogan?

Haha I thought the same thing. Not that I mind. Now we just need the Ultimate Warrior and we can recreate a massive event in my childhood.

HELL YES, SUPERCOP CHUN LI IN THE HOUSE!!!!!
Claw's alt has him with... three claws. Jesus finally he needed more of those things, so flimsy that they break off in a fight.
I did some reading and it's the same reason why Necalli's hair is so wild. They make parts of them invisible for when they're not needed. So claw's claws are for Left facing, Right facing, Unequipped and Necalli has one hair style or the other for his corresponding mode.

I did some reading and it's the same reason why Necalli's hair is so wild. They make parts of them invisible for when they're not needed. So claw's claws are for Left facing, Right facing, Unequipped and Necalli has one hair style or the other for his corresponding mode.

aw and here I thought Claw was going to become super cool. whata let down. :I

Also that's why Necalli's model seems to take just a tad longer to load compared to the other characters during the Beta.

Forgive me if this is old but I didn't notice this elsewhere in the thread
Anyway, this
18_betapc01.jpg

SFV possibly supporting Steam Workshop?????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

ah...

whoo.. hah... Here comes the mods. If that means I can mod the game to have pretty much what ever then I'm golden. Make all of the Cast members Sexy/Cool. Meaning... MORE HOT DAD RYU~! BAD ASS GANGSTER BIRDIE~! ALPHA 3 CHUN-LI WITH JACKET~! ACTUALY UPDATE ZANGIEF TO MAKE HIM LOOK OLDER/ MORE BATTLE SCARRED~!

and Finally... Q. Gonna mod Q into the game. Replace Necalli with Q. Fuck it. (and if possible change the animations/ other stuff too you know, to mach up to actual Q)

Last edited:
I don't know why (sideeyes Laura's costume) but somehow I trust random people on the internet with female costumes more than the actual devs lol

Well either way this probably saves time to put towards extra characters I guess?
HahahahHAHAHAHA! Oh man, that's a good one... unless you're actually serious.

Well if I'm going to be honest I am a little biased because I had to watch the pure mental insanity that is plebcomics comparing a scene from SU get censored overseas (I can't remember if it's the entirety of Ruby and Sapphire's first scene together or the one where Rose and Pearl maybe kiss but maybe not idk Rose's fat head got so in the way I literally couldn't tell) to R. Mika's high detailed butt jiggling slapathon getting less attention to the camera yadda yadda yadda.

But yeh Laura's alt really was the breaking point in how I don't care. And don't get me wrong I saw it actually implemented in game.
sfv-laura-alt-ingame-1.jpg

And even with her normal stance making it slightly more tolerable cause it covers up her boobs a little I think it looks dumb as all hell. Like absolute ass. Cause that's what it was made for. ASS
Either way I trust the modding community more than I do the dev team. Not that it's there fault (well, most of it), I just know that the combined quantity of all the people who can contribute will inevitably produce content on the level of the game, if not better. It's basically why I still follow TF2 on my garbage computer after all lol.

i have never been more serious about anything in my life ever

Steam Workshop has strict rules against, y'know, that kind of thing, right? If nothing else I hope we can at least trust the moderators. Though I'm sure there's always gonna be someone who tries to see how close to the line they can skirt.

No matter what though I would assume you'll only see the Workshop content you chose to download, no matter what the person on the other end is playing with, otherwise trolls will have a field day with the most obnoxiously garish crap. So it'll be easy to ignore the garbage.

...Wish I could say the same for Capcom's official alts.

man this is thread is a lot harder to follow when you ignore certain people and think that people are responding to you directly
oh well
such is the cross i bear

Reactions: Fumako and Aden