• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

well, it's still a bit early to tell if it's in there or not, so... fingers crossed! :)

You know what would be cool?Battle damage.

Not Mortal Kombat battle damage, but you know, in SF2, when you defeat someone, there is the portrait of the person that lost with the face in really bad state? like that! bruises, little cuts in the skin.
I did miss that, though with the recent, strange (possibly an error) statement that Street Fighter 5 is going to be M-rated, that may be seeing a return.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
No, they most certainly did not.
Hitting people while they were crouching gave extra hitstun, and in some cases hitting people while they were stunned gave extra. It did do things in SFA3 though.

"easier links makes me happy"
How about a combo system not based entirely around links...
Yeah, Alpha 3 major counters is probably what I was thinking about, not 3S. That's what I get for posting as butt-o'clock in the morning here.

EDIT: Actually, I think I know where I got confused. I remember somewhere where Rock was asking either Amir or Sextaro about counterhit doing more stun. But, on hindsight, they were probably talking about actual stun, not hitstun (never tested because Chun main and all you need is hit confirm into SA2).

Last edited:
EDIT: Actually, I think I know where I got confused. I remember somewhere where Rock was asking either Amir or Sextaro about counterhit doing more stun. But, on hindsight, they were probably talking about actual stun, not hitstun (never tested because Chun main and all you need is hit confirm into SA2).
CH's don't do more dizzy damage in 3s either. :^P

CH's don't do more dizzy damage in 3s either. :^P
As I said, never tested this. It was one of those things that you hear somebody say and just assume that it's probably true.

As I said, never tested this. It was one of those things that you hear somebody say and just assume that it's probably true.
Honestly one of the things I LIKED about Street Fighter is how little counterhits mattered. You hit 'em? You hit 'em. It was one of a number of things I disliked about SFA3, and going the extra mile to have developer-decided ExtraGreat Counters on certain moves is exactly the wrong choice. (Which is why I'm sure everyone LOVES it so far.)

I've always disliked the idea of counterhits. Personally.

"There's a mechanic called crush counter, hitting opponent with a certain normal as a counterhit causes huge hit stun."

So now there's Blazblue fatal counters?
I disliked how fatal counters in BB put you in hit stun for 3 hours.

Also Id rather just see butt physics on Cammy.

COME ON! HER ASS CHEEKS ARE HANGING OUT HER LEOTARD, WHICH IS TIGHTER THAN THE BERET ON HER HEAD, AND HER BUTT STAYS STIFF AS A BOARD THROUGHOUT THE FIGHT?! BULLCRAP!

*sigh* all of this new info and no sign of Alex or Q.

I need ma third strike.

I already made a post about it on the E3 thread, but I might as well make it here.
James Chen, on this week's UltraChenTV, confirmed with Combofiend that Chun-Li's boob physics during the versus screen is a bug in the game that they are planning to fix.

So yeah, you guys debated over nothing.

Reactions: Midiman and Senjin
Skullgirls kinda has fatal counters in that if you counter hit with a heavy move you get way more undizzy and a way longer combo.

No air neutral normals

I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with all these choices.
What's bad about these? I agree on the rest of the points (well I dunno atm how ACs work, but the base idea is ok),
but I never understood why anyone would dislike nj.buttons
I don't *need* them, so I don't care too much, but I also don't see any bad in having them?

What's bad about these? I agree on the rest of the points (well I dunno atm how ACs work, but the base idea is ok),
I don't *need* them, so I don't care too much, but I also don't see any bad in having them?

Idk what exactly he's talking about. But for me it can become an issue when you have a great flying normal (jump forward or back is considered a "flying" attack as per really oldschool streetfighter notation) but when you have a great flying normal that changes to a kinda crap neutral jump normal, that can be very annoying.

It is rare for that to happen but a specific example is ryus neutral jump hk versus his flying one. How neutral jump one is good as an air to air especially for its high hitbox, but it isn't so great for coming down with as a jumpin, and it also has a bit less range than flying jhk. So it's better in one circumstance and not as good in a couple of others.

This is unusual though. Neutral jump normals tend to be more powerful tactically than their flying counterparts.

Chuns neutral jump HK and HP being to primary examples in sf4. Along with moves like e Hondas neutral jump fierce etc

It's always felt both arbitrary and unnecessary, to me. The player has 6 buttons, so if they designers do their job, the player should have options available to them without the need of situational normals, be they air neutral of proximity. Extra normal options are what command normals are for.

Reactions: Woofly
It's always felt both arbitrary and unnecessary, to me. The player has 6 buttons, so if they designers do their job, the player should have options available to them without the need of situational normals, be they air neutral of proximity. Extra normal options are what command normals are for.

But air neutral is basically like a command normal? Like not entirely but I would call air neutral more like a command normal than a proximity normal (which I would agree with being dumb). I can't describe it well atm, but air neutral buttons always felt okay to me.

All the Street Fighter Alpha talk makes me think even Capcom has Alpha on the brain. Birdie and Nash. All they need now is Rose and Adon and its an Alpha reunion.
alpha alpha alpha said:
eDjvV5b.jpg
Cammy and Birdie look fantastic. Cammy still wears that leotard (well, trying to make her wear pants is like trying to get Ryu to wear shoes -- everyone has their own iconic costume) but I like the added details (seams dividing different fabrics, a harness that doesn't do anything breaks up the green). They fixed Birdie's hair! That hole-punch mohawk was just impossible. The weight gain was a good move. He needed more torso mass to balance with his thick arms. Gives him a better "strength character" look.

You know what would be cool?Battle damage.
In a way, you got your wish:
v6aeMU0.jpg
You lose a certain way in a specific stage, you get a shame accessory. Like if you get KO'ed in the kitchen a bowl of noodles falls on your head and stays there the whole next round.

Yeah, i know about the noodles, i was thinking more about actual damage, i mean, imagine if birdie gets hit by a shin shoryuken and lives (and i know this game doesn't have shin shoryuken, yet, but is just an example), and after getting hit, his belly and face gets market trough the match.

something that's been weirding me out is the names. Bison is called M. Bison instead of Vega, while Charlie is Nash.

Is there some weird compromise going on with them using the non-japanese name for Dictator, while monster mash nash keeps his japan preferred name.

Whats the deal with that?

(and i know this game doesn't have shin shoryuken, yet,

Actually ryu's ex dp is pretty reminiscent of shin shoryuken

something that's been weirding me out is the names. Bison is called M. Bison instead of Vega, while Charlie is Nash.

Is there some weird compromise going on with them using the non-japanese name for Dictator, while monster mash nash keeps his japan preferred name.

Well, the reason to change, Vega, Bison and Balrog were different than transforming Nash into Charlie. While changing back the first would imply to change 3 characters, Nash, is still Nash, and i think they are just saying: yeah, is nash now, official,international, deal with it.

In other subject, i always wanted Akuma to be called just Gouki.

Around SF4 they officially merged Charlie(USA name) and Nash's (Japan's) into his full name since several people kept combining it anyways. You can see it on his dogtags in Guile's SF4 intro.

So In SF 5 he's still Charlie Nash, but they're just going by his last name.

Reactions: KaboomKid

Well unlike the M.Bison, Vega and Balrog switch up, Nash-Charlie switch up doesn't involve Mike Tyson suing your ass into oblivion if you don't do it.

Well unlike the M.Bison, Vega and Balrog switch up, Nash-Charlie switch up doesn't involve Mike Tyson suing your ass into oblivion if you don't do it.

Is that why it happened?

plus they did kinda retcon it so that "Charlie Nash" was his full name
You could do either in that situation

Is that why it happened?

That's what I heard. Boxer as M.Bison is clearly inspired by Mike Tyson (a very brutal boxer very often breaking rules during his matches) and, at the time SF2 was supposed to come out in US, he was known to sue very often for the smallest of infractions. So to give him less ground to press charges (or hoping he won't notice that way?) they switched the names around. There was also something about Vega not fitting Dictator when you looked at it from western culture perspective (to which I kinda agree).

Last edited:
I grew up on Dictator being called Vega, so to me it fits more than "Bison", and not calling him that still feels kinda weird. However, I also like the name "Bison".

Apparently the Chun boob glitch only happens on the P2 side. Hopefully more side specific glitches don't make it into the game.

I'm really liking what I see so far. A lot of people were complaining about Birdie (and he certainly seems strong) but you could see people adapting and making strategies to combat him.

If anybody wasn't able to catch any of the matches from Capcom Fighter on Twitch and can't watch the archives here is a playlist of the matches/break downs on YT.
PS: Kinda random, but I was thinking about the new characters in SFV and I hope one of the new characters will be Hakan's wife. Since I'm sure Hakan won't return it would be cool to have her playable(just don't make her a oil wrestler like Hakan cause that might cause some.....problems).
hakan-family.png

I've been watching those videos for some hours now, and damn, cammy is cool. I mean, i guess she is jalso cool in usf4, but i barely played as her because i'm still trying to learn makoto.

But since probably makoto is not making into this game, cammy will probably be my main, or Ken, or sakura. xD

And about hakan's wife, imagine that in contrast of the oil thingy hakan does, she is a rushdown combo heavy character. =P