• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Just scrap the whole game and get to making Capcom vs. Capcom like everyone wants.

Watch your mouth. Keep Ken in the game! Fuck Akuma... most boring champ to watch in any game.

LoL is that way---->

Overall, I generally like most of the Street Fighter cast, but I do have my favs that I'd love to see return (Q, Alex, Blanka,Urien, Oro). I'm pretty open in general to more people coming back since SF5 is really changing things.

Random musings

Ingrid:
  • I don't ever want to see Ingrid again; her sheer power, lack of story yet paradoxically how she changed the whole understanding of psycho power and other overt Mary Sue elements make me loath to see her return. I just pray she's not canon since she just doesn't fit with this cast of characters

Seth:
  • I like that he added some insight to the advanced tech of Shadaloo and made for some interesting additions, but overall not sorry he's here. I just felt that he needed a bit more something. Design-wise, I think he looked better with his clothed alt because it made him look more imposing and thematically it shucked Bison's plans for him. The Seths are supposed to be temporary storage components for when Bison's brewing a new body. They're tools to Bison, nothing more. Yet, Seth gained sentience, so it would make sense to me to see him embrace his sentience.
  • Another issue. He took the concept I wanted to see (a master of various moves, like another Gen) and botched it. He's the monitor cyborg from the SF2 anime with a boost. He's kind of a mishmash of different fighters moves with some improvements (his take on Chun-Li's lightning legs is awesome visually, and I like the shoryuken-Spinning Piledriver

Rufus:
  • I enjoyed him and like his inclusion. I don't desperately want him to return, but he's someone I'd like to see pop up in the background for some laughs

Blanka:
  • Interesting choice here, he's one of my favs, but I'd like to see him go in a new direction. He's finally got the love and respect of his neighbours (SSF4 ending), he can hold his head high and his mama loves him. I'd like to see him go for a new path. I've said this in the past, but I'd like the SF2 "Seeing you in action is a joke" Blanka back.
  • Have him join the SlamMasters or other wrestling circuit and be a wildcard or beloved heel wrestler (like the Rock- not personality, but the fans ate up his antics), but have winquotes and little actions show that he's still a nice guy and concerned for others. Have this bleed into his gameplay. I always like how agile he was, but I'd like to see more of his moveset involve some acrobatics and innovations. Have him have some diving grapples or something, breath some new love into my first main, Ono!

Cody:
  • Love Cody, I'd love to see him finally get the prison storyline over with. It was a great direction to see the interesting consequences of when the day is saved and the hero doesn't have to punch street thugs to death on a daily basis, but has nothing left. It's just that Cody need to get in the redeption stage. It's been said he's got a scary amount of potential and could possibly even surpass Ryu, but he never really trains. I want to see Cody on the mend and sporting some new moves and mechanics to be a real force to be reckoned with.

I've been oversaturated with shotos for a while, if you're going to bring more back, drastically change them. I really get tired of seeing them share so many aesthetics, that's why I'd flip myself onto a self-flipping table if...Godforbid...Goutetsu joined (hell no to Gouken's daughter - I don't even think that concept exists anymore). We've mined the Anatsuken corner for a while, we don't need more "new faces" joining up.

King Cobra is a design that I felt had potential, but he needs a rework. I don't want to see another character just sporting a karate Gi and emulating the Anatsuken fighters. I heard he'd use breakdancing and martial arts, I feel making him have Chinese martial arts could change things up nicely (we've got a ton of karate and Japanese martial arts in SF, but variety never hurts). Think about it, wushu and breakdancing, hnnng, gorgeous.... In my post here, I detailed how I'd change him up:
Years ago when I first joined unity, I made some characters in a "Make an SF thread" and I pointed to the originality of some of the SF cast but also Tekken when it came to race and ethnicity. I LOVE what Tekken did with Raven. Rather than going for anything boring or potentially stereotypical, they made him a full fledged ninja. Not a guy who acts like one but a full on one who takes the business seriously. He utilizes ninjitsu, he outfit is rather Shinobi-like, his extra costumes and accessories incorporate a ton of classic ninja ninja aesthetics and iconography.

Now, I would go with the above method and incorporate some of the ideas listed in the thread. I would go with the youth angle and have him showing some great skill, but have him run into an older Chinese martial artist who instructs him on philosophy and acts as a parental figure. To keep things original, lets make the teacher an older woman instead of going with the old man trope.

Cobra's teacher would raise him in her style and eventually, when he is ready, introduce him to the truth. She is part of the Order of Serpents- an ancient group of martial artists spanning the globe, dedicated to bettering themselves and giving their power to the cause of bettering life itself.

King cobra would rise through the ranks and eventually become an elite member.

I wanted to go with Chinese iconography because, inf SF we have( understandably) a lot of Japanese characters and characters tied to martial arts from that nation. Some more from China couldn't hurt. Also, I feel giving him the psuedo-vigilante thing could be a fun aesthetic and have him even run into Guy, forming a bond and being allies in the war against evil. A network of heroes in the SF universe doesn't sound bad in my view.

Visually I would give him a silken robe similar to what Gen wears, though when fighting, he would throw off his shirt to show his elaborate Cobra tattoo. It would essentially be a double headed cobra; the head would start on the back of one of his hands, extend and wrap across his chest and upper body and then end on the opposing hand.

Of course Ken is the best, his shoryuken is on fire. Does akuma have a shoryuken on fire? no!

And you know that attack that akuma has, that kills one person soul? of the 4 people that he used it, 3 survived.

I'm just kidding, while i hate fighting akuma i think he is a cool character, i just said before, i would like to see he becoming Oni completely.

Reactions: Spencer
I wanna know who that kid in Balrog's SF4 endings becomes
hopefully a wrestler of some kind

And you know that attack that akuma has, that kills one person soul? of the 4 people that he used it, 3 survived.
Clearly he was just pretending.

Of course Ken is the best, his shoryuken is on fire. Does akuma have a shoryuken on fire? no!

I'm just kidding, while i hate fighting akuma i think he is a cool character, i just said before, i would like to see he becoming Oni completely.

I'd take Oni over Akuma anytime. Akuma is an air-fireball throwing chump.

And Ken is the best.

Reactions: Covenant
Cody:
  • Love Cody, I'd love to see him finally get the prison storyline over with. It was a great direction to see the interesting consequences of when the day is saved and the hero doesn't have to punch street thugs to death on a daily basis, but has nothing left. It's just that Cody need to get in the redeption stage. It's been said he's got a scary amount of potential and could possibly even surpass Ryu, but he never really trains. I want to see Cody on the mend and sporting some new moves and mechanics to be a real force to be reckoned with.
Doesn't he already surpass Ryu? I heard there was that one manga (not sure how canon it was) where Cody fought Ryu, and the latter made a huge mistake by breaking the former's cuffs to make the fight more fair...

After then Ryu got destroyed by Cody.

As non-senical those cuffs are with that long chain, in Street Fighter universe's logic they seem to hinder him quite a bit when he fights.

Last edited:
Doesn't he already surpass Ryu? I heard there was that one manga (not sure how canon it was) where Cody fought Ryu, and the latter made a huge mistake by breaking the former's cuffs to make the fight more fair...

After that Ryu got destroyed by Cody.

As non-senical those cuffs are with that long chain, in Street Fighter universe's logic they seem to hinder him quite a bit when he fights.
Hmm, I'm not sure about a manga, but in the Udon books he wrecked Ryu till he went SNH and knocked him out.

as much as we love Cody, I feel he's better suited as a special thing that needs to happen after a long time has passed.
so as much as I would love to see Cody, I don't think this would be the best installment for him to return, yet.

After that Ryu got destroyed by Cody.

highest potential =/= current ability.
Even if cody was/is stronger it's implied that Ryu's potential cap is higher.

literally everyone is boring except dan
abel is kinda cute

just turn everyone into sakura imo
Are you calling Alex and Q boring?

Because I'll fight you.

remove everyone and just help SNK make King of Fighters 14
*quietly hopes for KOFXIV info at E3*

IM STILL BELIEVE IN SNK DAMNIT!

But consider,
Pandora's Box kidnapped Ryu but shut shit down the second Cody set foot in Antarctica.

If Alex does return (which he most likely wont) I hope Capcom doesnt cheat him out of his protagonist role like in 3rd strike where he lost to Ryu in Alex's own ending.

That was bullshit.

highest potential =/= current ability.
Even if cody was/is stronger it's implied that Ryu's potential cap is higher.
but remember that Cody fought Ryu with the handcuffs on.
Cody got beat because of Ryu's potential, but Cody never once took off his limiters.

Cody got beat because of Ryu's potential, but Cody never once took off his limiters.
If cody got rid of his handcuff limiters then he can wield a knife in each hand with tornadoes spinning around him.

If Alex does return (which he most likely wont)

23_alex01.jpg

Oh, he'll be back...he'll be back soon.

Reactions: Midiman
if it's a fake
and a tease, which is also fake
then it's a fake fake
meaning that it must be real

you know what. Capcom is going to give us a mixup just before we get the Beta.

tumblr_n0gdq1VcLi1r6jyp7o1_250.gif
Jackie Chan is the best

Not to mention Oni is all like "You'd have a chance with me, if you took it seriously".

Not quite. Potential refers to how strong he can get as a fighter, not where he currently is.

A Ryu who had not reached his full potential (i.e. he used his current strength) beat a Cody that limited his current strength. That only says that Cody's current strength is very high, but we dont know how strong he'll be at his full potential; however, even so, both Akuma and Oro(two of the strongest fighters in the world) seemingly see Ryu as having the greatest potential of all.

To open up fresh wounds:

Here's Mike Ross, LI Joe, and gootecks talking about their hands on experience. They touch on crouch tech, no chip death (@28:30), and what they like/don't like. Even some Urien love and hate toward the end (LI Joe said he'd rock a banana hammock if Capcom puts him in).

In the interview mike ross expresses his greatest fear of gootecks actually winning tournaments

In the interview mike ross expresses his greatest fear of gootecks actually winning tournaments

Yeah that part had me rolling pretty hard. It's because Ross is a "true homie".

Reactions: DRF_15
Combofiend: we want to make execution easier.

Gootecks: good that we don't have to train 1 frame links so we could pass our time learning matchups and strategy.

Comment section from eventhubs: gooo, 1 frame links is what separate elite from scrubs, this game is for scrubs.

I've touched this subject before, but this makes me laugh so much. xD

I think my main in SFV is going to be chun li, i'm already training to be prepared to play as a charge character. \o\

Combofiend: we want to make execution easier.

Gootecks: good that we don't have to train 1 frame links so we could pass our time learning matchups and strategy.

Comment section from eventhubs: gooo, 1 frame links is what separate elite from scrubs, this game is for scrubs.

I've touched this subject before, but this makes me laugh so much. xD

I think my main in SFV is going to be chun li, i'm already training to be prepared to play as a charge character. \o\
Im gonna main kevin na-I mean charlie Nash

Im also gonna main Ale-OH WAIT!

1 frame links is what separate elite from scrubs, this game is for scrubs.
So as long as I put in training time memorizing a combo and being able to input difficult links I'm not a scrub, even if I have no idea how to play neutral, and therefore am never able to actually use said combo in a real match? What a bizarre perspective.

Reactions: Pickles
So as long as I put in training time memorizing a combo and being able to input difficult links I'm not a scrub even if I have no idea how to play neutral, therefore am never able to actually use said combo in a real match? What a bizarre perspective.
I know right?!

I mean, i understand that a game have to include depht levels, but i mean, a game can do that without making you to press a button in an exact fraction of a second.

I know right?!

I mean, i understand that a game have to include depht levels, but i mean, a game can do that without making you to press a button in an exact fraction of a second.
I agree and I think it was gootecks who said, 1 frame links suck because you have to put hours into learning 1 frame link combos when you could put that lab time into making strategies and learning your character's neutral game.

Reactions: Pickles