• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

True, but the DLC system means we could get basically literally anyone eventually, so, eh. If Urien, Alex and Karin end up in the game shortly after launch, then maybe it was real, doubting it though.

Not really since I highly doubt SFV by the end of development is gonna be anywhere near every preexisting SF universe character in the game even when you put aside the mandatory added new faces that takes up resources. Especially with their new business model for SFV. While it is more consumer friendly, it isn't exactly gonna make them as much compared to how they handled SFIV where they milked the consumers more and gave them enough justification to drag out SFIV as long as they did.

SFIV was at a 19 cast initially for the arcade release [if you count secrets/npc]. The home release added six more bumping the roster to 25. Then Super came adding another 10 for 35. AE added four more for 39. Ultra added five more for a final total of 44. Despite this there were still several existing SF era characters missing. Part of the reason was the amount of new characters/clones that filled up a chunk of the roster already.

I also recall them stating they were aiming for a smaller roster compared to the entirety of SFIV somewhere so if that's true that makes it even less probable. Them just calling out four specific characters [four that hasn't been in that 44 character SFIV roster and one of them is already confirmed] isn't exactly thrown out of the blue without some solid inside info.

Oh hey how about that what a surprise nobody saw this coming at alllllllllllllllllll
As far as I recall everyone replying to you said that it seems that way but it might not since Ono has admitted he is trying to surprise everyone and the fact there are a lot of ways to interpret the divides, this was just one of the most simple ones.

This doesn't make them wrong in that, it just means one of the basic reasonings was confirmed, which is nice since it's now clarified.

Also, isn't this flat out saying there will be no SFIV characters at launch?

Not really since I highly doubt SFV by the end of development is gonna be anywhere near every preexisting SF universe character in the game even when you put aside the mandatory added new faces that takes up resource
I think you're confused, I said "anyone" not "everyone".

Also, isn't this flat out saying there will be no SFIV characters at launch?
Yeah, my biggest fear was pretty much confirmed by going with the "half the roster is just SF2" option. At least Mika looks cool.

Yeah, my biggest fear was pretty much confirmed by going with the "half the roster is just SF2" option. At least Mika looks cool.
I mean, most of us did expect this, even if we hoped otherwise, but yeah, having it actually be the case sucks. Personally I'm set as far as having characters to play, but I'd still like to fight someone other than Bison, Dhalsim, Blanka, Guile, etc. again forever. I'll just put my hopes in the last "long time no see" and new characters, as well as DLC I guess. I guess there is a bright side for those holding out for a zoner, since it's basically guaranteed there are 2 more SFII characters giving you decent odds for say 'sim or Guile.

Even putting hopes into DLC is kind of rough though, since they haven't defined "constantly", we have no idea who could come and balance issues could be messy since characters are getting put out directly for consoles.

Y'know, the super best friends did mention that Akuma has been in every street fighter since 2.

Akuma wasn't in New Generation and I'm becoming increasingly doubtful he'll make it in to SFV's roster at launch. I'm guessing/hoping he'll be early DLC, but it's not impossible that we wont be seeing him for a while.

Akuma is a weird case, he's not always there at the start, but he's always there at some point. But with every character being "unique" this discounts him because he's technically another shoto, but it also means he could get some retooling to be more unique (air fireballs, teleport and demon flip already existing helps this possibility) since he is pretty definitively a classic character. Worst case scenario for Akuma is early DLC, if they have a day one character I'd bet on either Akuma or Juri, honestly.

Actually, just thinking about it, Akuma could be very interesting in V, while basically everyone has an anti-fireball tool he has a non-EX multi hit fireball and air fireballs, the angle of which would make a V-Skill harder to use.

I counted 5 dust 'power up' indicators that has a distinct sound effect. Safe to assume the more power ups you reach is where the damage buffs come for your throw.

The first one happens nearly instantly so you can get that one out reliably even under pressure considering you got one hit of armor to work with.

The 2nd dust cloud you might still get out consistently if your opponent is full screen away playing lame projectile game and has no way to cover the distance fast. Anything past that though and it's gimmick unless there are some tech setups. Even then it would be matchup specific and I doubt optimal.

If you let R Mika get to level 5 when she has one armor with that much time it takes then honestly you deserve a potential one hit grab ko.

You could maybe get to level 3 if you use the threat of an incoming nadeshko to cover you. I don't know if that would be smart or a waste of V-meter though.

I was talking to AdenPhoenix, and the most possible scenario to see a fully charged v-skill with Mika is in a mirror match, i mean, both players start doing, and they go until the end, and who lands the first throw wins. =P

Really hope R Mika has more then one 'promo' [game picks one at random] especially for mirrors.
Apparently one of the recordings confirmed that this is the case, and it's character specific.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Calling it right now: One of Mika's "outfits" will be her switching places with nadeshiko

Calling it right now: One of Mika's "outfits" will be her switching places with nadeshiko
considering it wouldn't sound right for Nadeshiko to have the same voice as Mika, and it being more work to give them specific voice samples in certain costumes, I doubt it.

Last edited:
It's the first TAG TEAM character in street fighter! they ought to do something special! and the model is ready! They could go all out and do something special!

I'd rather Nadeshiko be her own character, and the Nadeshiko Mika uses have a different palette than the one selected if the Nadeshiko she's facing is the same palette as the one she's using.

I think she would have to be her own character. They would have a ton of problems like the announcer saying "Mika", her win quote, and her intro lines when it's not her. Besides, why would they want to give two different people in the SF universe the exact same move set?

Besides, if that actually is the case, they'd either have to make an entirely new Nadeshiko model to fit Mika's animations or retool the animations to fit her current model, or else we'd have a slight case of Longchu syndrome.

Thats why i said as a color palette because that's all that's necessary lol...

Reactions: Covenant
I thought about Nadeshiko being an alt for Mika, but i would want that only if it is followed by a voice pack.

One thing, due to recent events, i thought about the story progression, that SFV could have.

We have a model that will receive constant updates to the roster. And that model can do a lot in terms of story progression.

Due to the recent news that we will receive just one more character that there is some time we don't see in a game. And the possibility of that character belonging to SF3 being almost null, the idea of this game being between SF4 and SF3 is the most possible one.

But, in therms of story, that could also means that we receive after some time, extra story, and that extra story, is post SF3.

Let me explain.

In SF3, the fact is that Shadaloo is destroyed, at least that is the information passed, and not only that shadaloo is destroyed, but that chun li in specific is the responsible for that.
In SF3 too, Ryu is already 100% free from the influence of the satsui no hado. But we have both Nash and Mika making mention to it in their winning quotes against Ryu.
Also in SF3, chun li is retired (she was retired before the beginning of SFIV too, but she got back into action after discovering that shadaloo is active), not only retired, but she adopted a bunch of kids and is training them, one of them is captured by urien and that is how she enters the game.
(sorry for my attention to chun li, but since she is one of my fav character in the series, i research more about her than other characters).

So, SFV, being the missing link, the connection between SFIV and SFIII, is something more possible now, and a lot of people talked about that, and i was against, because i want a story post SFIII.

But i think is more than that. I think that is at least possible, that SFV starts story wise being before SF3, but i don't know, in 1 or 2 years after releasing a lot of dlc characters, they can release inside the game, a new story, set after 3s, and go on after that point.

Their business model supports that already, and frequent story updates will be something that will make casuals get into the game more.

But it is capcom, i never expect the best from capcom.

Reactions: The Dave
I'm not expecting a much bigger focus on the story than there was in SF4. Right now, Capcom seems like the type that thinks effective stories in fighting games doom them to financial failure or something.

I'm not expecting a much bigger focus on the story than there was in SF4. Right now, Capcom seems like the type that thinks effective stories in fighting games doom them to financial failure or something.
Actually they said a lot of times that story is a big focus in SFV

Actually they said a lot of times that story is a big focus in SFV
Didn't they say that last time around, too?

the story of SF4 was "Hakan fights. Hakan Wins. Hakan returns to sexy wife and beautiful children."
They did a pretty good of showing that, imo.

Im not expecting NR level or even Arc Sys level, but it's not hard to do better then SFIV , Marvel 3, or SF x Tekken level . The bar is that low.

Considering Capcom is making an active effort trying to make SFV casual appealing as they can then naturally that would mean a better focus on their single player which has always been lacking. They even admitted that they feel behind the times on that front once they see all these other modern fighters giving the players more to do besides arcade, versus, and training in past interviews.

They at least said recently they are going to 'try something different' but won't go into it until later.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...ks-stages-roster-and-single-player-modes-sf5/

Is Balrog/Boxer die?
Nah, he probably finally got some fight money, had a change of heart an adopted the blond kid he stole from Bison in SF4. Now he's training him in the ways of Buffalo-based violence and Boxing Glove-dexterity.

I played against my friend today at Fan Expo, he was playing Mika and I was Charlie, totally whupped me but her quote was something along the lines of:

"Whoa, that's amazing make up! What? You mean those scars are for real?!"

I'm not expecting a much bigger focus on the story than there was in SF4
They have made it very clear they're keeping story details under wraps and have been talking up a "new delivery method" for story, which most people assume is a story mode. I mean, it's SF, story is probably not going to be anything of note, but it's been talked about in most interviews.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Nah, he probably finally got some fight money, had a change of heart an adopted the blond kid he stole from Bison in SF4. Now he's training him in the ways of Buffalo-based violence and Boxing Glove-dexterity.

I played against my friend today at Fan Expo, he was playing Mika and I was Charlie, totally whupped me but her quote was something along the lines of:

"Whoa, that's amazing make up! What? You mean those scars are for real?!"
Plot twist, blond child is Urien who happens to age really fast due to errors in his genetic modifications.

blond child is Urien who happens to age really fast due to errors in his genetic modifications.
Nah, it's clearly Q. Balrog training explains the specials.
I'm not being serious in any capacity.

no programmer is gonna calm Chunner's churners if she has anything to say about it.

heV3i

Eisbahn...?

hmm... that's a lot of purple on that screen.

who do we know that wears purple? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reactions: EA575