• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Ibuki is all sorts of better than her previous sf4 incarnation. I see you @SanoBaron but that could have also been said about ibuki coming from 3s to sf4.

So she lost her neckbreaker.. Ok. But she gained lp raida which gives no backroll on knockdown and ibuki can dash into on hit, and still be at a frame advantage against quickrise.

And her neckbreaker used to go through fireballs as the ex version... But now it's the ex raida that does that... So she still hasn't lost much there either... But look at all the stuff she's gained:

Sweep CC combos into ex kunai juggle otg.
Ground kunais replace ground tsumujis and are better as far as range is concerned.
Mk target combo gives her access to easy wakeup style pressure as the opponent is landing.
Her AA is amongst the highest damage in the game compared to what others can get.
Her ex kunai is +18 on block!!! That's unheard of in sf5. On hit it goes into mixups or easy Enders so it's win win.
All her command dashes have a use now
Everyone else's normal range got nerfed, but ibukis stayed the same (cr.mk) or got bigger (fhk and ground kunai) so her ground presence is much better in 5.

I mean, yeah, I see you but I think maybe you need to give her a bit more time. No character plays exactly the same as they did in sf4.

Reactions: Aden and @J-Boogie
I just said that's stuff I don't care about.
like, I don't care if she has touch of death combos, I don't care if she has the best frames, I don't care about any of that frame data shit. I DON'T CARE.

like, you say that everyone has changed, but Ken's still got the same moves, they just work differently enough to separate him from Ryu. Alex still has EVERY major move that made him Alex, and I can assume that every move he's missing, he will acquire in SF3 because SFV is still a prequel. Balrog and Birdie both feel like improvements, and Guile feels like he's mastered his style.

with Ibuki, it feels weird to have her go from as third strike as possible in 4, then to drop 2 of her most memorable moves, and then put them back in her repertoire BECAUSE REASONS? like, I would have rather had Ibuki sit out and we just got Sarai with all these moves instead. I don't care about how good she is, tiers don't matter to me. I care about how a character feels, and she feels too different from the Ibuki I have grown accustomed to in both the sequel and the previous prequel. Also, after playing her enough to get through her story mode, and get color 3 for BOTH costumes I have for her, I think I have enough experience to say whether or not I like a character.

I don't doubt she's good. I don't doubt she's got improvements. I just don't like that she's not the same. so before you tell me about frame data and all the other things I don't care about again, lemme just say
59356723.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: missingno
That sure is a lot of words for not caring.

Sent from my SM-G928R4 using Tapatalk

That sure is a lot of words for not caring.

I'm just trying to explain why I dont like the changes. Take a look how much I talk about anything involving frame data about her.

Juri confirmed for end of the month.

I wish Mika took the mask off for the summer costume, but it's still tied for her best alt with harpy

Easily my favorite summer alt either way tho

Also, if she takes off the Mask, she can never put it on again as Rainbow Mika. WWE Flaunts that rule with Kane, but realistically no.

Also, if she takes off the Mask, she can never put it on again as Rainbow Mika.
I thought that was only for Mexican wrestlers who are masked.

So I been playing this a ton recently. I main Birdie, which is a joke in and of itself lol. But I. Noticed something....this game has waaaay to many charge characters. Including DLC we have: Chun-li (only in the case of her special motions as opposed to play style), Bison, Fang, Alex, Guile, Urien, Balrog. That's a pretty massive chunk of the cast. I hope the next set of dlc doesn't have nearly as many of them, cause I can't play charge characters for the most part and I want to jump around the cast a bit more than I am now...

I have nothing against charge characters, and the variety in them is good, it's just so many of them feel like they outnumber the other playstyles.

Reactions: Armageddon11
I don't like the Charge characters for the fact I can not consistently get the timing down to be good with them on the specials you have to charge. Same with 360 motion characters like what Gief used to be.

they outnumber the other playstyles
Charge isn't a single playstyle though, you can't honestly tell me you think FANG, Alex and Urien are anything alike in terms of playstyle.

Reactions: @J-Boogie
Yes... And no. Charge characters on a beginner level rely on the "charging position" (down back) a lot... They play different the more you learn about, but eventually they'll come back to that position

I think I may have used 'playstyle' incorrectly here, or at least too loosely, sorry. I mean charge motions require a different style of play to be able to get behind them. Yes each character is unique, but you still have to learn charge partitioning and other techniques to get the most out of each playstyle, and it's something not a lot of people can get behind. As opposed to simple rekkas of inputting the same or different motions in quick succession or learning to reset command grabs, which I feel are easier to get the hang off since they don't usually require wonky motions that affect your current movement until you input the move.

Tl;dr I think we have enough charge characters for now and hope we get some other types of play in the future.

The thing to remember with charge moves is that generally they're for if a move is 'too good' to be a motion.

One example: evey Fatal Fury to KoF 96 and 97 Terry's Rising Tackle was a charge motion. In KoF 98 it was made a DP motion without changing anything else about it. For every game after that it was put back to charge.

Why? Because it became one of the best if not the best DP/reversal in the game hands down.
Yes... And no. Charge characters on a beginner level rely on the "charging position" (down back) a lot... They play different the more you learn about, but eventually they'll come back to that position
Well, so? Beginners for motion moves are going to start out crouching a lot. One can even argue that teaching somebody about back and forward might be easier than a rolling motion.

I was replying Aden. It isn't a playstyle, but it conditions a bit of the player's behavior

-struggle to not bring up dirty Juri thoughts intensifies-

so, she feels really fun. can't wait to pull my hair out trying to unlock her colors on a PS4 controller.

Reactions: Shockdingo
listens to Juri music...

huh... i uh... i'm not sure that this really fits her style you know?

it fits her general theme of being terrible, at least

It feels like one long intro, I keep waiting for it to kick in and nothing happens.

Jesus, that's terrible. And Juri had one of the best themes in USF4...

EDIT: I had to hear Rashid's theme for 30 minutes straight to take this off my head.

Reactions: Shockdingo
DLC themes ranking so far (for me anyway)

Ibuki>Guile>Alex>Balrog>Juri

I dunno, Balrog is imo got one of the best dlc themes so far.probably my fav lol.

Everything Juri in SFV seems to be a bit of a mess lol.

I dunno, Balrog is imo got one of the best dlc themes so far.probably my fav lol.

Everything Juri in SFV seems to be a bit of a mess lol.
Only her theme, fam. Juri herself has interesting tools.

I dunno... Juri os overly dependant of preparing her moves or using v trigger for it.

Even more "ammunition" reliant than ibuki in that regard.

That, and she needed another overhead.

I really like her theme.

Anything that's like Apex Twin or deep house in general I am down with.

That was also true for sf4 juri.
And also a bitch to do. Holding your charges was too detrimental! But I feel her normals were more reliable