• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Palettes of Skullgirls

Which of these new colors are Indiegogo/Staff-Picked? In particular the influx of new Kill La Kill ones. I have been trying to guess them based on what Mike Z said in the video, so using Squigly as an example I'm guessing that the Sable one is Indiegogo, the Beetlejuice one is staff-picked and the Kill La Kill one (along with all of the new Kill La Kill palettes across the other characters) is also staff-picked?

Speaking of Sable, here is a picture of the character and a link to the indie game she's from:
417421-au-sable-windows-screenshot-the-entire-game-has-a-very-dark.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BallotBoxer
the Beetlejuice one is staff-picked

Because just like me, a lot of people were dissapointed it wasn't there before, now balance has returned to the world, and the Kill la Kill one made me smile like an idiot out of joy.

Still dissapointed that Blonde Squigly is not longer there tho...

Omfg yes! ZONE is f*cking awesome, it even was thanks to him i found out about the game in the first place, dat Filia flash.

Edit: it's funny to think about the Kill la Kill colors like the actual plot of the anime, means Squigly killed Filia's father and came along to f*ck everything up and made Filia and Samson transform into Painwheel, and much later they had to defeat Eliza and with the help of Peacock, Cerebella and Big Band.

If Parasoul had a Satsuki Palette Swap then this would be even funnier, because she and Filia where mortal enemies by the first part to then join up to ruin Eliza's life (would also mean Eliza is their mother)

Last edited:
Oooh, that is something worth checking.

Now to combine all the palettes Flotilla listed in his news article with some screenshots:

Big Band
#23 Metal Flotsam (Dark Cloud 2)
#24 Captain Spaceman (Spaceman: Unarmed and Ready to Launch)
#25 Robo-Ky (Guilty Gear)
YQ7PUUx.jpg
Beowulf
#25 Captain America (Marvel vs Capcom)
J8C6lqe.jpg
Cerebella
#23 original
#24 Shigen Naoe (Last Blade 2)
#25 Ira Gamagōri (Kill la Kill)
yRGSvPF.jpg
Double
#22 Dr. Ichirō Irabu (Kūchū Buranko)
#23 Cubia (.hack)
#24 Life Fiber (Kill la Kill)
#25 Mystique (Marvel - X-Men)
Ju0eaqZ.jpg
Eliza
#12 Dr. Doom (Marvel vs. Capcom) *NOT PICTURED BELOW
#23 Urien (Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike)
#24 Raven (DC Comics - Teen Titans)
#25 Elizabeth (Persona)
EH7npuG.jpg
Filia
#23 Millia Rage (Guilty Gear Xrd)
#24 original
#25 Ryūko Matoi
(Kill la Kill)
MdqTrvH.jpg
Ms. Fortune
#23 Makoto Nanaya (BlazBlue)
#24 Alt. Felicia (Marvel vs. Capcom 2)
#25 Elena (Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike)
MCRyL15.jpg
Fukua
#21 Honoka (Dead or Alive)
#22 War Machine (Marvel)
#23 Robo-Ky Mk. II (Guilty Gear Isuka)
#24 Mind Controlled Ryūko (Kill la Kill)
#25 Orochi Shermie (King of Fighters)
kmOkllw.jpg
Painwheel
#22 original
#23 original
#24 Spiderman
(Marvel)
#25 Monster Ryūko (Kill la Kill)
yreo7qp.jpg
Parasoul
#23 Kyoko Minazuki (Rival Schools)
#24 Captain Commando (Captain Commando)
#25 Annie (Skullgirls)
sjUDD9t.jpg
Peacock
#23 The Joker (DC Comics - Batman)
#24 Nonon Jakuzure (Kill la Kill)
#25 Annie (Skullgirls)
u6VP49u.jpg
Squigly
#23 Sable (Au Sable)
#24 Beetlejuice (Beetlejuice)
#25 Nui Harime (Kill la Kill)
And I missed a Squigly in the reshuffling... (see 6Phase6's post)
d4mTKg2.jpg
Valentine
#23 original
#24 original
#25 Strider
(Marvel vs. Capcom)
PtyZDnC.jpg

@BallotBoxer - Sorry for the mystery! I know you've been keeping close track of the number of palettes for each character. Hopefully this makes your life a little easier. ;P
Hehe, the color substitutions (i.e. Beowulf Batman blinking in and out of existence) had me confused there, but I'm more than thrilled to see everyone expand to 25 colors. It's like a new wing at the museum just opened up. I can now happily retire my palette abacus.

(Speaking of palette obsession, before I came to Skullheart look at my how my madness was manifesting for UMvC3. All those Gamespot article links are dead, but my thread kept that information alive.)

Last edited:
What's the ratio on original to reference palettes?

FINAL JUSTICE!

<I still think it looks AMAZING, but why his hair isn't blond eludes me...>

uyjLpmj.jpg
PHiCy31.jpg
9OXMLXo.jpg
x9qGQOu.jpg

Sometimes, there's just not enough room to have all the palettes they create

Other times, it's for a gameplay reason that the palette can't be used <see: Earthworm Jim!Squigly>

According to Zone's tweet,yes.
Zone said Sekhmet is based on Trigon in that palette as well.
What's the ratio on original to reference palettes?
Original : Reference
Filia
: 14 : 11
Cerebella: 11 : 12 (+2 flags)
Peacock: 10 : 15
Parasoul: 10 : 15
Ms. Fortune: 5 : 17 (+2 consoles, +1 fan character)
Painwheel: 14 : 11
Valentine: 10 : 15
Double: 16 : 9
Squigly: 10 : 13 (+1 ZONE, ~1 not sure what new #5 is)
Big Band: 5 : 17 (+2 consoles, +1 Smooth Criminal!)
Fukua: 4 : 20 (+1 Original joke character)
Eliza: 7 : 17 (+1 Cleopatra)
Beowulf: 8 : 13 (+2 Wrestlers, ~2 Not sure what #7 and #19 is)
Robo-Fortune: 2 : 9 (~1 not sure what #10 is)
TOTAL: 126 : 194 : 17 / 337
graph.png
Skullgirls references, holiday references and generic references (e.g, Hot Rod, Indian Peafowl, blood ect.) I counted as original.

Last edited:
So @Muro, you have a Joker Peacock to go with Harley Cere

On a scale of "AHHHHHH" to "HOLY SHIT", how happy are you

Here's hoping the palette batch will not lead to some instances of confusion in the heat of battle during mirror situations. A few of the new palettes are particularly similar to already existing ones (apparently mostly due to Alex being all for some Kill La Kill action). I use none of those so it won't affect me either way, though I find it only fair to point out. Notable examples of old (left) versus similar new (right) below.
GrfoxYt.jpg

JnQrmKt.png

6K0zW3U.jpg
dh4Oht0.jpg
So @Muro, you have a Joker Peacock to go with Harley Cere

On a scale of "AHHHHHH" to "HOLY SHIT", how happy are you
Somewhere between "MOTHER OF GOD" and "EVERYONE GETS A ROUND ON ME".

I'm also curious who's the Indiegogo backer that made this a reality.

Last edited:
Here's hoping the palette batch will not lead to some instances of confusion in the heat of battle during mirror situations. A few of the new palettes are particularly similar to already existing ones (apparently mostly due to Alex being all for some Kill La Kill action). I use none of those so it won't affect me either way, though I find it only fair to point out. Notable examples of old (left) versus similar new (right) below.
GrfoxYt.jpg

JnQrmKt.png

6K0zW3U.jpg
dh4Oht0.jpg
I think the only one out of those that might cause some confusion would be the Bella color imo

Important to note that Dr Doom Eliza's blood is pink. I don't think the two Val colors are similar at all. And I think the Filia/Fukua ones are different enough for it to not be a problem, i.e. hair color and Fukua having her sprites. That's technically not a mirror anyway.

Agreed with Domo that the Bella colors are pretty close, though. There are some big differences, but the white of the arms are fairly similar.

I agree they're not that easy to confuse in a "both players are idling next to each other" situation.

However, heat of battle + "both players in the corner, the cornered one tries to ground tech away from it, both call assists and decide on their next action depending on where they see their character in that fraction of a second" situation... A bit more tricky.

Hence, making sure it's brought up while the palette batch is still a beta thing. Ultimately, I trust your judgement.

you guys really outdid yourselves on some of these new palettes

they're really great looking!

Captain America Beowulf. The man with two hoods.

Nui Squigly and Ryuko Filia, Dong Sucessfully Expanded.

Reactions: KZN02
Valentine
#23 original
#24 original
#25 Strider
(Marvel vs. Capcom)
PtyZDnC.jpg

Hey guys, look, Valentine has a Sean palette now

I wonder if The Great Recoloring Part II will add any more color palettes, I'd be willing to dish out a few shekels for another bundle.

All those unfulfilled button combinations!

that Alt. Felicia palette for Ms. Fortune looks like Akuma

Why does fukua keep getting solid color palettes.

Hey guys, look, Valentine has a Sean palette now
it's probably not this but in my head, it's this

Darkstalkers_Q-Bee_transforms.png

she even has bee-striped shimapan

Reactions: RAT__BABY
More like Alex-picked.
How hard are you going to be hasslin for a Shimakaze palette since you love the kankles?

Why does fukua keep getting solid color palettes.

Because a common methodology to visually describing that someone or something is a non-scientific clone is to make them a solid color, and Fukua's palettes are based on clones from all over fiction, even those that are non-scientific in origin.

How hard are you going to be hasslin for a Shimakaze palette since you love the kankles?
I honestly don't think any of the cast really fit for a Kancolle colour.

Funnily enough, War Machine Fukua looks pretty Abyssal to me.

I'd like to imagine customizations for Panzerfaust to have a ship hull with a twin gun to replace his tank arm.