• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Palettes of Skullgirls

One of Squigly's palettes is a black one... I think it may be her in gothic wear, or mourning...

I just noticed that Big Band's valves look a lot like the buttons on an arcade stick, especially in the video screenshot. Was this intentional (as a double nod to instruments and fight sticks?)

9C9351432DD2948C29DC40AFCE6650A1FAE01B4C
Boss Marie got a new IGG pallete and you can only see it during Marie 300% mode or Nightmare difficulty on Arcade mode.

so is blue big band a seismitoad or not
because that mammajamma looking like a vibrating toad if I've ever seen one

Reactions: TJF588
both work, tbh
The Question is a detective and Seismitoad has sound powers and the like

both work, tbh
The Question is a detective and Seismitoad has sound powers and the like
well there haven't been any pokemon palettes (or any nintendo palettes as far as I know), so Big Band getting one is quite a precedent.

As much as I'd like Blaziken Scythana, not every palette has to be a reference.

well there haven't been any pokemon palettes (or any nintendo palettes as far as I know), so Big Band getting one is quite a precedent.

As much as I'd like Blaziken Scythana, not every palette has to be a reference.
What about Samus Parasoul and Ditto Double?

Someone remembers Blaziken Scythana. I'm so happy.

Also, any word on what that Marie palette is supposed to be a reference to (or if its a reference)? I'm thinking maybe Trigon Raven? Red skin, black hair, purple dress, red eyes.

Reactions: musica
Samus Parasoul
Its not Samus its Armstrong from FMA.
Also, any word on what that Marie palette is supposed to be a reference to (or if its a reference)?
I heard its a reference to the McGee Alice in Wonderland games.

No, the NES Justin Bailey Samus. Is still Samus.
My bad. I've heard so many people in the past say the Armstrong was Samus I forgot about Justin Bailey.

Its not Samus its Armstrong from FMA.

I heard its a reference to the McGee Alice in Wonderland games.
Parasoul has a FMA palette and a metroid palette.

And Alice has a blue dress. And human skin. And I think brown hair.

tanner, I don't know how to tell you this, but, the chronotrigger palette is actually a Big Band-aid palette

the pink BB palette just looks like the underside of a band-aid with the adhesive sides on the left and right and the little absorbent pad down the middle.

not saying it isn't Gato but I am saying I CAN'T not see a Big Band-aid.

The Skullgirls Wikia just got a nice, crispy collage of all the Big Band palettes revealed thus far.

Big_Band_Color_Palettes..._Again....png

Pretty sure Big Band got a new palette that's Blacker Baron, which is funny, because Schmeckie had a Blacker Baron avatar at one point.

An unplayable boss getting an alternate palette is so weird.

So here are so more pre-release palettes that never made it to the final version.
I don't know if these are references or not but... here they are.
phcy.png
waWPZCt.png

Pretty sure that Fortune one might be the Thundercats reboot version of Cheetara.

The Skullgirls Wikia just got a nice, crispy collage of all the Big Band palettes revealed thus far.
On last night's Lab Zero stream, Brady said that BB's color palette No. 2 is based on Kolchak the Night Stalker. It was at the very end of the stream archive.

Pretty sure Big Band got a new palette that's Blacker Baron.
I believe the orange colors were confirmed by Mike to be original and not based on anything.

So here are so more pre-release palettes that never made it to the final version.
I don't know if these are references or not but... here they are.
phcy.png
waWPZCt.png

That Bella color remains my favorite color for her and i'm still a bit bummed that it's not in the game. =/
I do hope that the characters get a few more colors sometime down the road as i'd easily pay for this one.

Reactions: Huesoman
How did I not catch Saya no Uta Double?

I always thought Painwheel Dia de Muertos was Toph from Avatar.

On last night's Lab Zero stream, Brady said that BB's color palette No. 2 is based on Kolchak the Night Stalker. It was at the very end of the stream archive.
Also here's the Source (at 04:06:55)

What's the reference for the Fortune quoted above? As much as I love Celty Fortune, I'd really prefer to use that one.

And an edit: Is Fortune's 5th palette original or is it supposed to reference Len/Rin Kagamine? Different places say different things so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Is Fortune's 5th palette original or is it supposed to reference Len/Rin Kagamine?
If it isn't said so in this thread the answer is likely "Officially no", but nothing's stopping you from perceiving it as such.

If it isn't said so in this thread the answer is likely "Officially no", but nothing's stopping you from perceiving it as such.
I make an effort that every character has a black/white/gold palette. Several of them end up not making final pass, though.

So I still say that Big Band's new purple palette is A Pimp Named Slickback
even if official (read: Mike Z) sources claim that it is "Big Pimpin'"

Big Band #2 is indeed Kolchak the Night Stalker. I was adamant about this one going in there. I'm pretty sure #3 is actually another (non anime) detective, though he'll be harder to identify. I'm a big mystery fan, so I wrote a lot of quotes based on famous mystery authors writings for Big Band that I don't know if they used or not in his dialogue.

Filia palette #22 isn't a backer palette but was my palette from early on. It's for one of my characters outside Skullgirls.

sledge01b.jpg

I'm a big mystery fan, so I wrote a lot of quotes based on famous mystery authors writings for Big Band that I don't know if they used or not in his dialogue.
Please please tell me there is a reference to Sherlock Holmes's three pipe problem.