• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

My problem with the fusion suit is that it's unnecessarily fetishistic for no reason. Before they changed the power suit from an actual suit of armor to a hard-light construct Samus looked like this under her armor.
Jctez1J.jpg
That looks both functional and badass, but after Fusion they have made Samus less of an Amazon by shrinking down her height and stripping down some of her Segourney Weaver, Sarah Conner attributes. I don't want to make this a Metroid derail but until Other M came out, there wasn't a bad Metroid game in existence. Even the pinball game for the DS owned.

Other M was a pretty horrible game. The Smash 4 samus is a bit of an upgrade compared to the Other M samus, but the fact that it's still the same model is bleh.

I think Charizard will make for a fine Ridley in my book. I found him the most fun out of the three Poke' Trainer mons, and seeing him get re-tweaked as his own character is awesome. And is it just me or did I see him DO A MOTHERFUCKING FLARE BLITZ?!? Please be a Side-B!

All that's left for me is to hope that at least one of my two mains will be back (Jigglypuff and Ganondorf). As far as hopeful wishes, I'd enjoy Girahim. At least Midna made it in as an assist trophy but I'm still gonna go cry in the corner...

So guys, that's 29 characters so far, counting unlocks like Toon Link and Luigi, we're still past the starting roster for SSBB.
And Summer is still 2 months away, where it still has 3 months of life in it.
So that's still FIVE MONTHS POSSIBLY LEFT
HOW BIG IS THIS ROSTER GONNA BE BECAUSE I LOVE IT.

So guys, that's 29 characters so far, counting unlocks like Toon Link and Luigi, we're still past the starting roster for SSBB.
And Summer is still 2 months away, where it still has 3 months of life in it.
So that's still FIVE MONTHS POSSIBLY LEFT
HOW BIG IS THIS ROSTER GONNA BE BECAUSE I LOVE IT.
Until I see Game & Watch and R.O.B this roster is still incomplete to me. Snake would be nice too.

Yeah, Hawlucha's gone to the character graveyard with at least three other characters today.

Samurai Goroh's an assist yet again. Pity.

Only disappointment was the lack of Pokemon Trainer (and the fact that Charizard was my least favorite character from Brawl).

Pretty hype for My Music and most of the other stuff though.

And yeah they have a really good reason to get both aside from the stages.
I didn't expect Smash Run but it's a pleasant surprise

im glad that there will only be 2 songs per stage in 3DS, too many songs in Brawl for me lol

Wii U version has far more songs

I don't count on this ever happening, especially what with the existence of Star Successor, and considering that she played the same as Saki, but since he's out again, I think it would be cool if they made Airan playable.

2fu8o1G.jpg

I mean, she's not technically the lead, but she did do most of the work in Sin and Punishment. Plus, she'd be another female rep.

I'm just glad Isaac wasn't shown as an Assist, or Shulk.

There were a few near miss deconfirms back there, phew.
But a lot of hopefuls also got buried, sadly.
I wanted Midna, but that Assist Trophy is so awesome I forgive it

Also, has anyone else noticed that WFT's breath is somehow rythm-dependent? When Sakurai's showing Male Wii Fit Trainer, they both do it but Male fails to inhale properly or something.

I honestly doubt anyone needs it at this point but I went through the struggle of making a full direct write up and goddamn if I ain't gunno post it.

3DS version will be released Summer 2014.

WiiU version will be released Winter 2014.

3DS will run at 60 FPS even in 3D.

AT's and Pokemon will run at 30 FPS.

Samurai Goroh returns as AT.

Melee's Jungle Japes will be a 3DS stage.

3DS and WiU will have the same roster.

Almost all stages will be console exclusive.

Battlefield will be on both versions.

Each 3DS stage will have 2 songs on it.

WiiU has the return of My Music with large song libraries for each stage.

Balloon Fight will be a 3DS stage, you can go off one side and reappear on the other.

HARD ROCK REMIX OF BALLAD OF THE GODDESS CONFIRMED.

Brawl's Halberd will return as a WiiU stage.

The Yellow Devil interrupts the fight and must be hit in the eye to be defeated. When defeated the Yellow Devil explodes causing large damage. Whoever gets the last hit is not affected by the explosion.

Ridley's shadow appears when discussing other boss characters???

Tiki from Fire Emblem is a Trophy.

Online mode will have the option for playing with friends or strangers.

Online mode will have two modes, For Fun and For Glory. For Fun will be with random stages and items on and will only record wins. For Glory will be with Final Destination only and no items and wins AND losses are recorded.

Playing with friends allows customizable rules.

Every stage will get a Final Destination version that is flat with no other platforms and lacks stage hazards/gimmicks.

Nintendo is looking on ways to prevent people from starting and not playing, relentless target of an individual, repeated self-destructs, frequent drop-outs (ragequit, technical, or otherwise), cheating, and baseless reporting of other players.

Ranking system for solo play.

No multiplayer rankings, but skill-based matchmaking will be implemented.

Beam Sword returns as item.

Smart Bomb returns as item.

Motion Sensor Bomb returns as item.

POW Block is a new item that seems to effect enemies on the ground when thrown.

Fire Bar from Mario is a new item that seems to be used like a sword and gets smaller and less damaging with each hit.

Back Shield from Kid Icarus is a new item that prevents attacks from the back from hitting.

Bombchu from The Legend of Zelda is a new item that seems to crawl along walls and ceilings and explode on contact.

Fairy Bottle seems to heal damage instantly.

The Ore Club seems to greatly slow down the user.

Hocotate Bomb seems to damage opponents on the way up in addition to exploding.

The Rocket Belt from Pilotwings is a new item that seems to give its user an extended jump similar to R.O.B.'s up special.

Fi is a Trophy.

Devil returns as an Assist Trophy.

Knuckle Joe returns as an Assist Trophy.

Saki Amamiya returns as an Assist Trophy.

Lyn returns as an Assist Trophy.

Dr. Wright returns as an Assist Trophy.

Skull Kid's AT seems to invert the camera of the stage.

Midna is a new Assist Trophy that grabs and throws nearby opponents.

Ashley's Assist Trophy seems to cause an area of random status affects, characters seemed to grow and shrink.

Dark Samus is a new Assist Trophy that shoots rapid fire shots and summons tendrils from the ground.

Chain Chomp is a new Assist Trophy that attacks nearby opponents.

Isabelle nullifies attacks and throws healing food.

Elec Man is a new Assist Trophy.

Color TV-Game 15, otherwise known as Pong is a new Assist Trophy that damages opponents with the ball in the middle.

Master Ball is a new item that summons specifically legendary or rare pokemon.

Arceus is a new pokemon that meteor smashes mid-air opponents.

Meowth returns as a pokemon.

Electrode returns as a pokemon.

Eevee is a new pokemon that tackles opponents.

Staryu returns as a pokemon.

Metagross returns as a pokemon.

Fennekin is a new pokemon that shoots pillars of fire.

Moeloetta is a new pokemon that shoots musical balls that bounce off the walls of a stage.

Gogoat is a new pokemon that can be ridden as it runs.

Entei returns as a pokemon.

Deoxys returns as a pokemon.

Palkia is a new pokemon that flips the stage upside down.

Kyurem is a new pokemon that seems to freeze nearby opponents.

Victini is a new pokemon.

Keldeo is a new pokemon that uses its horn as a sword.

Xerneas is a new pokemon.

Samus still uses the Zero Laser as a Final Smash, but doesn't transform into ZSS afterwards.

All characters that used to change form mid-match no longer do so.

ZSS will not be returning in the new Smash Bros.

PSYCHE! Zero Suit Samus Zeroes In!

ZSS is stronger and uses jet boots to boost her kicks.

Her upB seems to be a new kick that sends her upward.

Zelda's new downB is Phantom Slash. It works as a long ranged attacks as well as a block, but can be reflected.

Sheik Appears on the Scene!

Shiek's sideB has been changed to Burst Grenade, an explosion that starts a distance away from them.

Shiek's downB has been changed to Bouncing Fish, where Shiek jumps forward and knocks the opponent downward.

Kirby's hammer can be charged, if charged for too long it starts to damage Kirby.

Kirby's Final Smash is now the Ultra Sword, similar to Ike's.

Dedede will only throw Gordo's as opposed to Waddle Dee's/Doo's

Lucario's aura affect is much more enhanced.

Lucario can Mega Evolve to an unknown capacity, it doesn't seem to be a Final Smash.

Olimar is now limited to 3 Pikmin as opposed to 6.

Olimar now plucks Pikmin in the specific order, Red, Blue, Yellow, White, Purple.

Olimar's new recovery is the Winged Pikmin, does less recovery when he has more Pikmin.

Pit can no longer glide.

Pit is much more physically stronger.

The Power of Flight is a directional special that replaces his old upB and shoots Pit in a straight line.

Pit's Final Smash is now the Three Sacred Treasures, where he can bombard the stage with projectiles, seemingly manually.

Yoshie Rolls Into Battle!

Yoshi stands more upright now.

Pseudo-Palutena is a Trophy.

Rosalina can send Luma off with Luma Shot and recall them later.

Luma on its own will wander around the stage while Rosalina controls its attack.

Rosalina's sideB is Star Bits, which can be done when Luma is seperated.

Rosalina's upB is Launch Star.

Rosalina's downB is Gravitational Pull, which draws in items and projectiles.

Rosalina's Final Smash is the Power Star, which shoots projectiles about the stage from the central point of the large star above Rosalina.

The Sandbag returns as an item.

Mac's attack power is incredibly weak in the air.

Mac's neutralB is the Straight Lunge, which can be charged for more distance and power and turns into the KO Uppercut when the KO meter is full.

Connecting attacks and getting hit increases the power meter.

Mac's sideB is the Jolt Haymaker, which dodges attacks and lets mac get in.

Mac's upB is the Rising Uppercut, which is powerful but has weak recovery.

Mac's downB is the Slip Counter, a counter/feint.

Little Mac's Final Smash is Giga Mac, where he seems to keep the same moveset.

Mac's alternate costume is Wireframe Mac, from the original Punch-Out!! arcade game.

Villager's neutralB is Pocket.

Villager's sideB is Lloid Rocket, on the ground its a projectile, in the air Villager rides it and its a recovery move.

Villager's upB is Balloon Trip.

Villager's downB is Timber, seemingly a four stage attack. On the first button press Villager plants a sapling. On the second he waters it and it grows into a tree. On the third he chops it once. On the fourth he chops it down. The tree can bounce when it falls too.

Villager's Final Smash is Dream Home, where Tom Nook and his sons build a house on top of the opponent, then it blows up.

Mega Man's up aerial is Air Shooter, which is a rising multi-hit projectile.

Mega Man can throw the Metal Blades behind him.

Mega Man's Final Smash brings in the other iterations of Mega Man including X, Volnutt, and others. The full effects are as of yet unknown.

WFT's downB is Deep Breathing, an attack with a long startup that gives her/him a power boost.

WFT's neutralB is Sun Salutation, a chargeable projectile that can be stored and used later.

The two attacks can be used as a combo.

Male WFT is alternate costume for WFT, there are no differences between the two.

Characters have customizable versions of different moves that can only be used offline and with friends.

The King Kihunter is a Trophy.

Smash Run is a new game mode on the 3DS version only, it functions like City Trial from Kirby Air Ride where players collect powerups and fight an assortment of Nintendo enemies in a large dungeon before fighting each other in special challenge fights like Free-For-All, Reflect Smash, Flower Smash, and moving stages, there are also events.

Different enemies appear randomly every time you play.

Charizard Fires It Up!

Greninja Makes a Splash!

Greninja seems to have a vanish move.

Many of Greninja's attacks seem to have extended hitboxes of water.

Greninja seems to have Water Shuriken and Water katana attacks.

Greninja seems to have a Substitute counter.

Charizard seems to have a Fox-like tackling move where it coats itself in fire.

Charizard can Mega Evolve into Mega Charizard X.

Greninja's Final Smash seems to look like Strider's Ragnorok from MvC.

Also, has anyone else noticed that WFT's breath is somehow rythm-dependent? When Sakurai's showing Male Wii Fit Trainer, they both do it but Male fails to inhale properly or something.
Seems like a variation of stuff like getting max damage on Ike's Eruption to me. Hold the button down and release when the white circle hits the red one to get a damage buff, but botch it and you'll misfire, leaving Miss/Mister Fit vulnerable to attack.

Still, man, I'm finally cooled down.
Today was amazing, and we're still 2-5 months away from the 3DS Version...
I'm so thankful for this shit.

I wanna preface this post by saying that I am INCREDIBLY hype for the new Smash, and few things at this point are gonna make me not want the game.
Probably nothing at this point.

But that said I'm kinda bummed out that Dark Samus, Ridley, and Pokemon Trainer were all deconfirmed in one fell swoop.
Ridley is questionable, but that's still two of my top 5 picks and one of my mains from Brawl gone.
And like, I understand that they're trying to make the game more competitive friendly, but I can't say I'm overjoyed at the removal of random elements like Olimar's Pikmin order and Dedede's sideB losing the Waddle Dee's/Doo's.

BUT THEN AGAIN, my main and my second are both confirmed now, and my top newcomer pick is already in, so I can't really complain too much.

LOL at all the doom and gloom over Ridley when we haven't actually seen him yet. Until we get an update that actually displays him as a boss, with Sakurai referring to him directly as such, I'm taking that segment of the Direct with a grain of salt. After what happened with Toon Link, seeing short footage of a shadow isn't enough to convince me. And I'm a casual Ridley supporter at best.

We had Mecha-Ridley and Ridley literally in the same game before this one. I'm not even supporting him and I know the possibility isn't out of the question.

I still think Ridley is possible, kinda bummed by Dark Samus, but she looked cool as Hell.
Didn't see no Ghirahim Assist Trophy either...hmmm...

The best possibility with Ridley is that Other M!Ridley and regular Ridley are considered two different characters.
Which they actually are in canon.

Then we could have playable Ridley and boss Ridley. And playable Ridley doesn't have to be ugly-ass Other M! Ridley.

Back