• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I'm just playing Link Between Worlds and I have been thinking that Ravio would be a good off the wall new character.

In more related news, Bowser looking gooooooood.

I'm totally maining Bowser. Bowser's been my guy for the past couple games now and he's lookin like a serious boss in this one. Super psyched.

EDIT: I seriously hope the Bowser Hop from Brawl is still in. That was such an awesome mindgame tool.

Oh, how the Smash Bros meta has changed < :PUN: >

Btbsw3ECMAAv1is.png

ohmygodthoselastfewtourneymatchesholyshitguysiusedtosecondbroserinmeleeandbrawlandohmygodthisisincredible<3

Oh my God those last few tourney matches holy stuff guys I used to have Bowser in my secondary slot for Melee and Brawl and oh my God this is incredible <3

So here's what the character select screen would look like with all the announced characters, leaving room for seven more slots.

super_smash_bros__4___select_character___menu_v_2_by_masterenex-d7s9vc0.png

My predictions on who those 7 will be? Ness, Falco, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Metaknight, and two random newcomers.

what about metroid instruction manual ridley

Metroid 1 Ridley is actually what we in the business call a composite character between Ridley's butt-ugly sprite from Metroid 1 and Ridley's butt-ugly depiction in the Metroid 1 manual.
Trust me, my uncledad works at Nintendo.

The seven remaining slots are obviously all Not Mewtwo, Not Ridley, and Not K Rool. That's what the slots are called, and when you select them, your Wii U will shoot searing acid into your eyes.

Reactions: Rellek
I wouldn't be surprised if the slots shrank further than in that pic for another column or two of characters.

Reactions: Hemijack and Jutsei
C'mon, only 7? Ness, Ice Climbers, Wario, Metaknight, Ganondorf, Wolf & Mr. Game & Watch all need to be back plus those last two(?) Newcomers. That would suck if it is only 7 left.

So here's what the character select screen would look like with all the announced characters, leaving room for seven more slots.

super_smash_bros__4___select_character___menu_v_2_by_masterenex-d7s9vc0.png

My predictions on who those 7 will be? Ness, Falco, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Metaknight, and two random newcomers.

First off, you can fit a lot more than 7 into that set up. Each of the top 3 rows can have another character shoved in the middle to create another column easily.

Second, it's likely they will shrink down the character select to fit more characters.

There are obviously more than 7 characters left, so I'll just assume you're joking.

Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Falco, Wario, Metaknight, Ganondorf, Ness, Jigglypuff...I'd be surprised if any of these characters got cut and that already puts us at 8 more slots.

Dear Ruinidley,
when are you gonna be announced for Smash Bros.?

First off, you can fit a lot more than 7 into that set up. Each of the top 3 rows can have another character shoved in the middle to create another column easily.

Second, it's likely they will shrink down the character select to fit more characters.

There are obviously more than 7 characters left, so I'll just assume you're joking.

I'm a man who likes to keep his expectations low, good sir. I refuse to believe that this roster will exceed 50, and I am a firm believer that this game will have character cuts that will piss a lot of people off.

I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

Well not to rail a derailed train or anything but . . .
I played Project M a while ago and . . . I don't like it.
Don't get my wrong I enjoyed myself but idk
++Positives: No tripping (never bothered my [as I spent most of my time in the air anyway])
+Sonic had Sonic Battle meteor f.air
+No switch between characters (always hated this [even more in brawl])
+Changes to new charters were nice (Shield Bash was Bizarre IMO but what ever)
+Speed and hitstun was ok
--Negatives: YOSHI (and ergo ruining my entire experience as Yoshi was the best thing in Brawl even it Brawl wasn't the best)
-They took away yoshi's floatyness (IE when you attack in yoshi's double jump you plumit [like melee arguebly and some may like this more, but you don't nesisarly need to 'fix' something that ultamantly seems better.] Also his third jump which again same arguement) which is like shooting him it the leg and telling him to run for his life
-The whole everyone as a recovery (dodge) (which I prefer Brawl air dodging even if it's not perfect) [also again this mostly applies to yoshi]
- As someone said before (I forget who) I always felt like I was breaking (or at least something doesn't feel right) Melee when I played it and the same go's for Project M

-They took away yoshi's floatyness (IE when you attack in yoshi's double jump you plumit [like melee arguebly and some may like this more, but you don't nesisarly need to 'fix' something that ultamantly seems better.] Also his third jump which again same arguement) which is like shooting him it the leg and telling him to run for his life[/spoiler]
You can still rise while air-attacking if you hold the jump button/direction while doing the attack. The same mechanic applies to P:M Ness and Lucas. It does improve Yoshi because it gives him both options.

Also, can you specify what you mean by "third jump", because Yoshi did not have a third jump in Brawl.

And no matter what may genuinely be weaker about P:M Yoshi compared to Brawl Yoshi, nothing could possibly be enough of a nerf to devalue the giant buff that P:M Yoshi got: he can jump out of his block.

You can still rise while air-attacking if you hold the jump button/direction while doing the attack. The same mechanic applies to P:M Ness and Lucas. It does improve Yoshi because it gives him both options.
OK fair enough I forgot that mechanic while playing, but I still like it better in Brawl as you don't need hold the button/direction and you can tap down to descend at any time giving you plenty of mobility (to the point of pseudo-wavedashing with Dragonic Reverse, but I never really used it that much to begin with)
Few characters are as unusual in Brawl as Yoshi. Yoshi is a rather heavy character, tied with Wario in weight, but rather small and weak for his weight. He is also very maneuverable in the air, with a slow falling speed and the fastest horizontal air speed in the game - uncommon attributes for a heavy-weight. His midair jump is the largest in the game, giving limited knockback resistance during its ascent. Tied with Wario, he is thought to have the fastest ground-to-air acceleration in the game.

Many have insisted that one of Yoshi's major flaws is that - because of his minuscule third jump - Footstool Jumps, grabs (such as special grabs that can catch in the air), and attacks with enough knockback to cancel his midair jump's resistance are devastating to Yoshi when he is trying to recover. This is quite false, however; Yoshi's up-air has incredible priority and super-armor frames, and can be used simultaneously with Yoshi's second jump. In essence, it works to make Yoshi's second jump function as an up-B that hits everything above and immediately to the sides with virtually transcendent priority. People do not understand this because they still aren't used to the fact that double jump cancelling is gone, so it does not occur to them to flick their tail as they are rising through the air. Once in this habit, however, it is literally impossible for any opponent to do any of the above before getting nailed by Yoshi's potent up-air (often resulting in a KO). Also, after being hit, Yoshi virtually always regains his second jump the way other characters regain their Up B. This renders the (nonexistent) issue of getting hit or grabbed on the way up irrelevant, as Yoshi can simply try again. Footstool hopping doesn't count as hurting Yoshi, so Yoshi won't regain his second jump - but if anyone tries to footstool hop an even remotely competent Yoshi, they will be sent into the ionosphere with no questions asked, so this too is not a concern. Furthermore, Yoshi can air dodge with his second jump, giving him the distance of his second jump while mitigating its lag, allowing Yoshi to capitalize upon having the fastest air speed in the game while covering substantial distance. He is also the only character in the game with a fast recovery move that is also a projectile move (and hits the opponent with a projectile that is unrelated to the recovery), allowing him to exercise his projectile game while recovering. In short, it is almost literally impossible to edgeguard a competent Yoshi.

Also, can you specify what you mean by "third jump", because Yoshi did not have a third jump in Brawl.
I meant recovery as 'in house rules' we always called it third jump :p but yeah in brawl
Smashwiki said:
he can now use his Egg Toss as a recovery move (it only gives him a small upward boost, but he can use it multiple times to gain significant horizontal distance)

And no matter what may genuinely be weaker about P:M Yoshi compared to Brawl Yoshi, nothing could possibly be enough of a nerf to devalue the giant buff that P:M Yoshi got: he can jump out of his block.
Yeah, but he'll apparently will get shield jump in Smash 4 so whatever, also if he gets everything else his shield had I'll die happy
Yoshi has a different shield from that of other characters'. Instead of using a bubble, he uses an egg for protection. This egg does not shrink, preventing any attempts at shield stabbing. Instead, as it weakens, the egg darkens from white to dark red (similar to the color of the percentage meters). The egg prevents Yoshi from jumping out of his shield in Melee and Brawl and glide tossing in Brawl, but when lightshielding, Yoshi will slide a huge distance when attacked (possibly across the entire stage). Also, Yoshi has been known to randomly perfect shield (not completely understood), and is also invincible during his shielding animation. Given the fact that Yoshi cannot jump out of his shield in Melee and Brawl, in addition to his shieldgrab being slow, his out of shield game is much more limited than the rest of the cast, resulting in much more difficulty dealing with inclose pressure.
I probably should of been clearer in my first post but I was distracted and trying to remember back to playing P:M :)

I'm a man who likes to keep his expectations low, good sir. I refuse to believe that this roster will exceed 50, and I am a firm believer that this game will have character cuts that will piss a lot of people off.

I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

I dont expect over 50 either, but we're at 38 now. I'm expecting 47-49, not 45.

Predictions for the other 7 characters:
Ridley, Meta-Ridley, Phazon Ridley, Neo-Ridley, Clone Ridley, Metroid 1 Ridley, and Kraid.
KRAID YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Edit: I thought Brawl actually shrunk their character slots when you started unlocking characters? Didn't Melee as well?

KRAID YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Edit: I thought Brawl actually shrunk their character slots when you started unlocking characters? Didn't Melee as well?
I dont think melee did but Brawl did for sure

So my friend's at a con playing Smash 3DS, and he says he got some more custom moves:
  • Breezy Air for Pit (???)
  • Heavy Skull Bash for Pikachu
  • Starnaught Shuriken for Greninja
I think the former 2 are still WIP names. The last one, not so much

edit:
prepare your wallets
6e6.jpg_large

tumblr_n9cdorI7fF1qd4wu2o2_1280.png
tumblr_n9cdorI7fF1qd4wu2o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hemijack and musica
So