• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

So, apparently we're due for a Nintendo Direct in August?
Sounds good.
Might get another newcomer there.

If that's the case, I imagine it'll be like
Nintendo Direct in August, Smash Direct in September to Hype up the 3DS version.
But then again, I don't think we're getting another Smash Direct unless it also has information about the Wii U version

Darnit Goodbye I was hoping to get that! Ugh!

Honestly I'm looking at that Games & More. I definitely hope to see something about that.

So anyone else think we might get a MegaMan thing for the Thursday as Battle Network is coming to the E-shop that day?
lol boots.gif

I like the Idea of smash hotel thing :p

well I mean
today is Mother's 25th....so maybe something on monday for that....

but no one cares about Mother beyond Earthbound so I doubt it ;_;

Well, we got a new pic... but it's not MOTHER-related. I bet he's been turned into an Assist Trophy.

o-oh
well that's about as much as I expected
you'll have your time next game, buddy

o-oh
well that's about as much as I expected
you'll have your time next game, buddy
What next game? Nintendo's shown they only do new Smash games for new consoles, and who knows when the next Nintendo console's gonna be.

you say that like this is gonna be the final smash bros game

It will be if the world ends.

You say that as if you know it won't be.

-Takamaru's game confirmed for NA VC release today
-Takamaru fans get hype!
-Takamaru revealed as AT

SAMURAI MASTER TROLL

zlCfzSOWtkMYV5tSrg

"Pic of the day. I, Takamaru, have waited many years to appear in Super Smash Bros.! Link, Samus, Pit, and I debuted in the same year! Multidirectional Pinwheel Knife Rook Attack!! (FYI, I'm an Assist Trophy.)"

Funny how the one blue haired swordsman everyone wanted
Isn't even from Fire Emblem
Now that's some stereotyping
:PUN:

Reactions: Hemijack
I wonder if Sakurai could make some assist trophies into playable characters for DLC, if DLC turns out to be something he decides to do for SSB4. Since the models are already in the game, wouldn't it be easier to make a moveset based on the moves they already have than to wait for a new game to add them into?

Yeah, no. Waluigi, anyone?

Little Mac says hello. Plus Takamaru is a helluva lot more viable as a playable character than Waluigi will ever be.

Little Mac says hello. Plus Takamaru is a helluva lot more viable as a playable character than Waluigi will ever be.
Says you, Waluigi would be a terrific Mario Party/sports rep as he only ever appears in those games anyway and has pretty much a huge cult following because of it. (I mean you could probably take quite a bit inspiration from those games and get a cohesive and unique moveset like a more violent and spastic Wii fit trainer with random dice rolls)

Says you, Waluigi would be a terrific Mario Party/sports rep as he only ever appears in those games anyway and has pretty much a huge cult following because of it. (I mean you could probably take quite a bit inspiration from those games and get a cohesive and unique moveset like a more violent and spastic Wii fit trainer with random dice rolls)

Well Waluigi is a side character in a spin-off from a series which already has 5 reps. However, he is currently relevant.

Takamaru is the main protagonist from a series which has had little to no representation so far, but isn't very relevant nowadays.

I still think Takamaru wins this.

Well Waluigi is a side character in a spin-off from a series which already has 5 reps. However, he is currently relevant.

Takamaru is the main protagonist from a series which has had little to no representation so far, but isn't very relevant nowadays.

I still think Takamaru wins this.

Well to be fair Waluigi would be a second Wario rep, not another Mario rep.

I can see your reasoning there but seriously what Wario games has he actually significantly appeared in?
It's possible he would have Wario emblem if he was in, but really his track record shows him as a Mario rep, and saying otherwise is kind of getting caught up in technicalities.

I would get hype for a Mario spinoff rep though, I could see some fun moveset stuff happening there.

People would go fucking ballistic if Waluigi was chosen as a second Wario rep over ANYONE ELSE from the warioware games.

I call him a second Wario rep since that's what he was listed as during the Smash 4 Direct when they were showing off ATs.

super-smash-bros-2014-wii-u-waluigi-assist.jpg

At this point I expect Sakurai to make Inkling an Assist Trophy. Just to crush my hopes and dreams.

Still though, goddamn.
How disheartening.
I wasn't dying hard for Takamaru, but seeing him get hit with the Assist Trophy stick is just painful.

Oh well, maybe next game he can be the Little Mac.

Sakurai starting this fucking week strong with a cold cock to the face

I prefer Takamaru as an assist trophy. He'd be another swordsman. And yeah, he'd have some different stuff, but he'd still be ANOTHER swordsman.

He's getting representation still. You guys are making it seem like he's completely ruined by being an AT only. AT is the second best thing to being a fighter. He could've just been a trophy. OR A STICKER.

All in all, nice to see we still have some AT's to be confirmed. And this isn't the end of the world for Takamaru.

Why does everybody constantly complain about there being "too many swordsmen".
Like, it's literally only the FE people and Link (and TL (and the Mii Swordfighter)), when there are like, 12 characters that mainly uses punching and/or kicking to attack, but nobody complains about there being too many brawlers.

View attachment 4425
I like the Idea of smash hotel thing :p

Bro you gotta provide context.

you act like there aren't a billion different ways to kill someone with a sword

Yeah but like

I dunno. I feel like there's so many other characters that could be in. Like yeah, it's nice that a retro character gets his time to shine, but there's so many other Nintendo characters with even a bit more relevancy that could be in.

Personally, I think an Assist Trophy is the best place for him.

I prefer Takamaru as an assist trophy. He'd be another swordsman. And yeah, he'd have some different stuff, but he'd still be ANOTHER swordsman.

He's getting representation still. You guys are making it seem like he's completely ruined by being an AT only. AT is the second best thing to being a fighter. He could've just been a trophy. OR A STICKER.

All in all, nice to see we still have some AT's to be confirmed. And this isn't the end of the world for Takamaru.
Kraid-melee.jpg

You clearly forget about Stage Hazards and us Kraid fans. That being said, I really REALLY want this stage back.

Heck, I didn't even know Takamaru was a Nintendo owned character until today, and I own Nintendoland.

I think the problem with people thinking that he should be playable status is his lack of representation overall. His first game was a japan only game, and I think it only just got released on the virtual console within the past few years. He appeared in Captain Rainbow, a japan only Wii game. He was in Samurai Warriors 3 in 2010, so I guess that's good.

Like, every character that has become a playable character so far in Smash has some sort of recognizability to them. Little Mac, Pit, Ice Climbers, heck even Mr. Game and Watch is recognizable is some form before they were released in smash. I knew these characters were a part of Nintendo's library before I got to play them. If Takamaru got in I would be completely unaware of who he was.

Rest assured, I am aware of his steadily increasing representation in recent games. All he needs is another game to himself (released worldwide) to become familiar with the gaming market.

It's worked in reverse too
I mean people were pretty sidewinded by Pit being in Brawl
but then he got a new game and now everyone is pretty used to him being around

If anything, smash bros can be used a platform to help gauge the interest people have in some IPs
even if some of that interest will be promptly ignored
like F-Zero *weeps*