• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

From Sakurai in just released Edge magazine interview:

I think the popularity of Melee rested fundamentally on the game’s speed. The dazzling exchange of skills was the game’s most exhilarating aspect and the rough edges in terms of the game’s balance went mostly unnoticed. Even though the dynamic range of the characters was limited, the game somehow made its mark, even with hardcore fans of the genre.

Melee’s controls were, however, quite complicated and very tiring if the player really got into it in a serious way. This made the game less accessible for novice players and it basically ended up becoming a Smash Bros. game for hardcore fighting fans. I personally regret that, because I originally intended the Smash Bros. series to be for players who couldn’t handle such highly skilled games.

If tournament popularity was the most important consideration, then I think we would create a Smash Bros. game that included a multitude of fast moves with complicated controls. However, I believe this is actually the greatest shortcoming of fighting games at present, and that is the reason why I don’t do it.

Games aimed at casual users, such as Wii Sports and Wii Fit, reinvigorated the market and their success lay behind Wii’s popularity, [so] we had to make sure that Brawl would also be fun for first-time players. We also had to make sure that everyone could use the controls, such as holding the Wii Remote sideways. As a result of these considerations, overall Brawl is rather tame game; this had its advantages, but it also took away some of the excitement.

While there’s a lot of enthusiasm for tournaments on the one hand, there are also users who just give up on these sorts of games because they can’t handle the complexity and speed. While other fighting games continue to work on honing this tournament aspect, I think that we need to move in a direction where there is more of a focus on inexperienced gamers. Companies that release products that target a very vocal, visible group of gamers tend to receive good reactions and they may feel good about it, but I think that we have to pay special attention to the less vocal, not so visible group of players, or else games will just fade away.

There are so many other games out there which are geared to tournaments. It is important for us, however, to maintain the game’s status as a kind of ‘rough’ party game in which anyone can play without feeling too much pressure over winning or losing. We therefore want to keep a nice balance in which a wide variety of events can occur in the game, some of them quite outrageous. With this, Smash Bros. isn’t just a fighting game, it is an opponent-based action game.

The most important thing is that the game have breadth and depth, since we would like them to be popular with both novices and hardcore gamers. We think that people who aren’t so good at turning the tables and coming back from behind can still get enjoyment out of the [new] game, even if they turn off items and Smash Balls.

Although the pace of the game had to be lowered compared to Melee in order to achieve this balance, we have managed to keep the dynamism because we didn’t have to gear towards novice players like we did with Brawl. In fact, we recreated all characters almost from scratch. Also, I feel on a personal level that this game is more interesting than the three previous games in the series.

zlCfzSYRhu8A_fCF1a

"Pic of the day. The mysterious fighting teams that appear in the Smash Bros. series come in many shapes and sizes, but this time even we don't know what all of them will look like! It's said that they copy faces from Mii characters saved on your system and attack in a large throng…!! But wait, they all have big smiles on their faces. Looks like they're having a good time, so show no mercy and launch them all away!!"

Reactions: Hemijack
Okay, there's your confirmation, the direct will have nothing worthwhile in it.

Okay, there's your confirmation, the direct will have nothing worthwhile in it.
Nonsense, we'll still be able to see Iwata or someone of the sort do something silly.

Nonsense, we'll still be able to see Iwata or someone of the sort do something silly.
I wanna see a rematch!

Okay never mind.

It's Monado Friday.

And good news for Jutsei.

Shulk's render lines up perfectly with his appearance in the leak

Reactions: Hemijack and Rellek
Well, now we know why Shulk got revealed; Xenoblade 3DS Edition confirmed.

Anyway, here's his poster and render:

illust.jpg

main.png

You know I never really considered buying a 3DS XL, since it's basically just a bigger 3DS, but that new 3DS looks like it has enough content to win me over.

Also, no Pokemon news in the direct? How strange.

zlCfzSYVSuM8YPSwuA

"Pic of the day. From Xenoblade Chronicles, Shulk joins the battle!! He's not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series, but we worked really hard to make it happen. We're very happy with how he turned out. This stage is Gaur Plains."

zlCfzSYVTJAe1E7dUO

"Shulk's sword, the Monado, slashes enemies with a beam when activated, so it can strike from long range. What really makes this weapon unique is that when the Monado Arts are activated, it can change Shulk's features and abilities! Emerge victorious in battle by changing your abilities strategically!!"

The title for Shulk's reveal trailer is "Looks like we don't have a choice!"

Nintendo, you're the fucking best

EDIT: Oh, I forgot a part of the Miiverse:

zlCfzSYVTfE5GWn_W0

"[List of Monado Arts]
翔 (Jump): higher jumps, lower defense.
疾 (Speed): faster movement, weaker attacks.
盾(Shield): higher defense, slower movement.
斬(Buster): stronger attacks, weaker launch ability.
撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching."

Last edited:
Looks like the site got updated with a bunch of new info on items like pokeballs, assist trophies, and the likes.
Which means...
entry6-11.jpg

MY GOD

Saaayyyy! The site also says there will be an upcoming Club Nintendo offer where if you register Smash for 3DS AND Wii U you'll get a Smash Soundtrack.

ALL MY YAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!
So hype now :D

It's kind of sad honestly. It probably would of been way more exciting if it wasn't leaked already. This made me feel kind of "meh" in a way...

At least we have a little more insight on how he plays.

BLASPHEMY! Actually having him legitimately revealed gets me super excited for him because that leak does no justice to him. I can finally get a better grasp of his gameplay through this.

It looks like Sakurai took EVERY SINGLE MECHANIC from Xenoblade and worked it into Shulk's moveset. The reason he has a counter? Yeah that's based off of his visions. And his Final Smash is based off of the Chain Attack mechanic. (It even has Dunban and Riki in it!) I can't think of one thing from Xenoblade's gameplay that wasn't worked into this. He's definitely not a clone of Marth despite some similarities. It's like the trailer made a habit of pointing that out. Plus we see how that Monado stance system works....kinda.

Also that Guar Plains stage is fucking beautiful man! Probably one of the first stages I play on.

Definitely a better character than what the leak seemed to imply.

Oh and here's something the leak didn't point out: Us getting Metal Face as a possible stage boss. Honestly, I know we were spoiled on this guy's appearance but how can you not still get excited when the trailer shows us more than those blurry video files ever did?

Also I gotta love the trailer's title.

EDIT: Wait a minute, did he steal Reyn's catchphrase?!

You know what this means

DUCK HUNT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG

Possibly.
The only really solid confirmation we have right now is Bowser Jr. and Ganondorf.
Everything else is a definite maybe.

Possibly.
The only really solid confirmation we have right now is Bowser Jr. and Ganondorf.
Everything else is a definite maybe.

Wait,
shit,
nevermind the render is totally the same as the roster,
so yeah,
Duck Hunt Dog confirmed.

KWFWuWF.jpg

A lot of "new" stages confirmed today.

Interesting to see classic stages getting Omega forms.
Part of me thinks there'll be an Alpha form where it's the regular layout sans hazards after all the requests for it.

Also the RBF isn't the alpha form in this pic, it's actually a part of Smash Run where you have to fight an army of mooks from KI U while in the RBF stage. I could see them doing the same for others.

Man, this is great news ;). Shulk looks amazing!

Reactions: Rellek
Shulk is totally NOT a clone of any swordsman.

• Combo is PUNCH, KICK, SWORD SLASH. No swordsman punches in Smash except for Ike, I think.
  • Up-B has two slashes, not one
  • Has a side b? Aerial Down A? that has projectile invincibility and is a sort of ground pound
  • Multiple versions of the counter attack (might change per stance)

Real talk?

Even though I know the roster, even though I know the stages...

I'm still super hype. Such a great selection. Without the clones, it's still awesome. With it, well, they don't add much (except Lucina's cool and Pittoo's a cool character) but they're just nice bonuses.

Last edited:
Shulk is totally NOT a clone of any swordsman.

• Combo is PUNCH, KICK, SWORD SLASH. No swordsman punches in Smash except for Ike, I think.
  • Up-B has two slashes, not one
  • Has a side b? Aerial Down A? that has projectile invincibility and is a sort of ground pound
  • Multiple versions of the counter attack (might change per stance)

Real talk?

Even though I know the roster, even though I know the stages...

I'm still super hype. Such a great selection. Without the clones, it's still awesome. With it, well, they don't add much (except Lucina's cool and Pittoo's a cool character) but they're just nice bonuses.
I don't mind knowing the characters before release at all! It's no different than learning all the characters in a fighting game. Although I can't believe we were right about the leak from the beginning. Even when I was told I was 'clinging to it' or that it was obviously fake haha.

I'm still seeing people who don't think it's real

Even with the 3 stages confirmed today matching up, and Shulk's moves being THE EXACT SAME.

I mean WOW. Denial is a harsh mistress.

I don't mind knowing the characters before release at all! It's no different than learning all the characters in a fighting game. Although I can't believe we were right about the leak from the beginning. Even when I was told I was 'clinging to it' or that it was obviously fake haha.
Lol you cray that Palutena leak was so fake. But lucky, though...

So I just woke up to Shulk in Smash...YES! So I guess my initial prediction was right, we did in fact get 1 newcomer and 1 veteran this month, and I predicted the newcomer would be Shulk too.

Okay then, next prediction: 1 veteran and 1 newcomer left to be "officially" announced in September.

Watch it be Chorus Men or some shit.

Fuck yes Shulk! I like those stance changes! Sounds like it could really mix things up!

Wow he looks amazing though. I totally want to try him out (And this is coming from someone who really doesn't care for the character himself)

And it looks like it might have a bit where that lower section is playable. Notice the cave type shit down there.

Alright, where's the shop of Mario's face version? Nigel, where are you?

Goddammit Japan.
It's still another month here, stop having cool shit.

OH GOD IM SO SCARED AND EXCITED SOMEONE OH GOD IM GETTING TOO EXCITED FOR MY OWN GOOD.

Edit: People are saying that it's an image from the Eshop in japan and that people are just taking pictures of their 3DSs with it on.

That's certainly something.

At least we know the starting roster, and at least I'm not shaking with excitement anymore.