• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

tumblr_ncw98hT0RA1r27qu1o2_500.jpg
The legends are true; The anime and games are colliding! Run for shelter!
Chris-morris-jumps-out-window-o.gif

My main is either going to be Rosalina or Greninja.

Greninja has a great feel, great aimable recovery, nice air normals (especially his Uair, oh my god his Uair), and he is, well, fast!

Rosalina has Luma. That's all I need. I do wish that the minimum Neutral-B launch distance was at least twice as short, because I don't like needing to land a close-range hit with it in order to make the Luma stay at a relatively close range to me.

EDIT: a question: how do you know you have all the stages? is there an ingame way or do i have to go look up a list and then check to see if i have em all?

I assume you'll get a little blurb that says Congratulations: You've Unlocked Every Stage.
Though I think you can see every stage in Classic Mode, regardless of whether it's unlocked or not with the only exception of stages that need to be unlocked via unlocking characters.

I don't know why voices are such a big deal. Can someone fill me in as to why they have to be English grunts rather than Japanese grunts? I'm confused.

It's not a huge deal, but it is noticeably different.
Like, it's hard to believe Mac is an American when he's going "UGHYAAA".

So it's bad because it's different? Or rather, not different?

Kind of.
Mainly because it's so different from the voice he had in Punch-Out Wii, which was very American.
Which was his only voiced role in the series, at least on an actual Nintendo console.
And that game had REALLY good voice casting.

So one of my friends thinks that Dark Pit is in Smash Bros as a replacement to Rayman.
He thinks we were gonna have Rayman but then we got slammed with that Rayman Legends debacle.

The option to turn off jump with the Circle Pad was really helpful to me since I don't have to use my mid-air jump by accident.

Reactions: DDB
I've been doing challenges as a way of "progressing" and holy man some of these

• Get a shit ton of combined feet in Home Run Contest - DONE
  • Get every red target in Target Smash - DONE
  • Kill everyone in 20 seconds in 10 Man Melee - DONE
Up next, clearing Classic with everyone, then on 9.0.

So one of my friends thinks that Dark Pit is in Smash Bros as a replacement to Rayman.
He thinks we were gonna have Rayman but then we got slammed with that Rayman Legends debacle.
You must live in a pretty weird place since everyone around you has some weird predictions on playable characters.

You must live in a pretty weird place since everyone around you has some weird predictions on playable characters.
I'm pretty sure there are weird suggestions everywhere. I know people who legitimately wanted Wreck-it Ralph as a character. :/

I'm pretty sure there are weird suggestions everywhere. I know people who legitimately wanted Wreck-it Ralph as a character. :/
I know someone who wanted Yu Narukami because of Persona Q. They were pretty adamant he'd be in, too.

Do people outside of this area have Move Trading Company's.
Because if you can find one, they usually have NES's or at least lotsa NES games.

How does one play Ness.

F-air and PK Fire combos at low percents, b-air and back throw at kill percents.

I also like to use PK Flash near a ledge when my opponent is trying to recover, puts the fear in 'em.

So, big ol' right-up coming for DP, been playing him in for glory all day, and I think I'm getting pretty decent at that waste of a slot.
------------------------------------
-Fair, Uair and Nair are all really good juggling tools, Bair stays out for entirely too long, and Dair, while not a spike, is still good for gimping characters with bad vertical recovery.

-Maybe I'm just bad with the spacing, but I can't seem to hit with his jab ender.

-Speaking of jab, from the little testing I've done, the rapid spin seems to eat Greninja's counter when it hits on the sides.

-Side-b beat's EVERYTHING. Like, seriously, I'm pretty sure Shulk's counter is the only one that beats it, it has that much armour.

-Basically, the only downside to E-arm is that it's super unsafe on shield.

-E-arm does NOT send you into helpless. It DOES, however, have a hell of a lot of ending lag in the air, though Dark Pit's recovery is good enough that you're still probably fine going off-stage with it.

-Arrows are good damage builders after horizontal launches.

-Arrows are good for extra damage on recovering opponents, but their uncontrollable nature makes them a less than preferable gimp tool.

-Guardian Orbitars are MUCH more than just reflectors. You should think of them as a un-pokeable shield with slight start-lag that you can use in the air. I've been told this applies to baby Pit as well.

-Kill-moves are*:

Around 100%
-------------------
F-smash
U-smash
-------------------

Around 120%
-------------------
D-Smash
-------------------

>150%
-------------------
Side-B
D-Smash

*Assuming good vectoring from the opponent

Day 2 Dark Pit Opinion:

DP seems like a pretty good character, nice recovery, good damage building potential. Struggles with gimping and has predictable kill moves.

Additional Thoughts:
-Taunts are edgier than his bow.
-Baby Pit go away.
-Sickest secret win quote.
-Seriously though, fuck baby Pit.

Is Dark Pit the watered down Fukua of Smash or

No.
Dark Pit is more like if Fukua had all of Filia's attacks allocated to the same inputs as Filia, the same stance, was entirely the same except for color, voice, had an electric DP as opposed to a physical one, and had Parasoul's sniper shot instead of Fenrir.

I don't know why voices are such a big deal. Can someone fill me in as to why they have to be English grunts rather than Japanese grunts? I'm confused.
Turn on your 3DS
Start Smash Bros
Pick Fox
Use his UpB

Alternatively, just going to the sound test area and listen to all of Fox's voice clips.
Mainly his final smash.

No.
Dark Pit is more like if Fukua had all of Filia's attacks allocated to the same inputs as Filia, the same stance, was entirely the same except for color, voice, had an electric DP as opposed to a physical one, and had Parasoul's sniper shot instead of Fenrir.

I wouldn't say the comparison is very apt on either side, considering Fukua is basically just a new character with some kinda sorta but not really reused animations.

This does bring me to a point I would like to bring up in Smash, relating to clones and numbers. Basically, my opinion on clones is that I really don't care about clones from a game play sense because, in Smash Bros., numbers play a huge, huge, HUGE part in the game, almost more than any traditional fighter I would say. In Smash, any given character, in any given situation, has nearly every number programmed into them tested to the max. Changing numbers around affects characters infinitely more than in any other fighter. Therefor, clones in which numbers are the only thing changed (for the record, I don't agree that Dark Pit just has numbers changed, but that's an argument for another day) hold so much more value, at least competitively, that I can't agree with people that say clones in Smash are wastes in a game play sense.

Ascetically, however, I can definitely see where people are coming from.

I don't hate their new voices.

I still think it's a ploy to get people to stop using Fox and Falco so much because in Brawl they were "cool" and super powerful but here they're "lame" and good.

I still think it's a ploy to get people to stop using Fox and Falco so much because in Brawl they were "cool" and super powerful but here they're "lame" and good.

Oh hey...

Looks like there are tweaks to the new Smash..

I'm really not sure how to feel on Fox's new voice. On the one hand, It's more representative of his character in the game (uncool supernerd) and his Smash voice was not, but then I listen to the way he says fire, and it just makes me want to laugh, it's so pathetic.

Anything's better than Brooklynite Falco though. ANYTHING.

there's room for only one New Yorker on this roster and his name is little mac

and if you say Mario and Luigi are too i will beat that thought out of you

But they didn't change Meta Knight's voice.

I don't see the point in omitting language options if you have them. Melee had it, but they never did it again. Why?

I don't see the point in omitting language options if you have them. Melee had it, but they never did it again. Why?

The most hilarious part is that they found all the english language text on the Japanese cart, but the only way to access it is through hacking.