• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Oh shit. Forgot this too. If Ridley and Ghirahim were actually the final two newcomers that'd be cool, but then no Shulk...so no thanks.

If Ghirahim got in over Shulk, I'd have to kill someone. Ghirahim isn't that interesting a villain or a possible Smash character and Zelda has four characters already. Assuming Ganondorf is back, and he should be, that would make five. That's overkill for that franchise. I don't even think Mario should've gotten that much. (No offense to Rosalina though) How about we focus on either expanding franchises that are still a bit small yet have characters that can represent them a bit more or in this case, including more characters from IPs that haven't appeared in Smash at all yet? Shulk definitely fits the latter very well.

I mean, I haven't played Xenoblade, so I don't get the hype behind him anyways, but I doubt he'd be pushed aside like Chrom, it's not like he's another silver haired sword user. :PUN:

I've never played Xenoblade, but I get the hype behind him.
Or at least I used to.

Cause he was a sword user that also had magic or something and that was something that hadn't been done before in Smash.
But now it has.
So I'm a bit less hype.
It's still a new IP though, so I'd be cool with it.

If Lucas has to be cut, no way around it, then I would wand either Kuma or Duster. Duster in particular would be nice to have to represent non-PSI users.

If Ghirahim got in over Shulk, I'd have to kill someone. Ghirahim isn't that interesting a villain or a possible Smash character and Zelda has four characters already. Assuming Ganondorf is back, and he should be, that would make five. That's overkill for that franchise. I don't even think Mario should've gotten that much. (No offense to Rosalina though) How about we focus on either expanding franchises that are still a bit small yet have characters that can represent them a bit more or in this case, including more characters from IPs that haven't appeared in Smash at all yet? Shulk definitely fits the latter very well.

To be fair, this Smash has the most newcomers from new series that never had reps in Smash ever. Still though, there should be even more. And Shulk needs to be in because he had a popular game on the Wii which is receiving a sequel, that is reason enough for him to get in.

I've never played Xenoblade, but I get the hype behind him.
Or at least I used to.

Cause he was a sword user that also had magic or something and that was something that hadn't been done before in Smash.
But now it has.
So I'm a bit less hype.
It's still a new IP though, so I'd be cool with it.

I've only played a few hours into Xenoblade, but I can tell you that Shulk uses no ordinary sword, he uses the Monado, which allows him to see into the future. I have no idea how it could be implemented into gameplay in Smash, but if Sakurai can figure it out he could be a completely insane character to play against.

I think the main reason people want him in though is because Xenoblade deserves representation in Smash as much as any other franchise that started on the Wii (though the Xeno-series didn't start on Wii, but for Nintendo's purposes it did and will likely stay with them for as long as it is still active).

you could give Shulk an Anubis counter where when he uses his counter on an attack, he can evade/defend against that attack without fail until he gets hit. IT can even apply to multiple attacks at once.

To be fair, this Smash has the most newcomers from new series that never had reps in Smash ever. Still though, there should be even more. And Shulk needs to be in because he had a popular game on the Wii which is receiving a sequel, that is reason enough for him to get in.

I've only played a few hours into Xenoblade, but I can tell you that Shulk uses no ordinary sword, he uses the Monado, which allows him to see into the future. I have no idea how it could be implemented into gameplay in Smash, but if Sakurai can figure it out he could be a completely insane character to play against.

He also has an entire repertoire of abilities the Monado grants him. I'd be wary of spoilers but for the sake of convenience, here's a list of his abilities:
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Shulk

I think the main reason people want him in though is because Xenoblade deserves representation in Smash as much as any other franchise that started on the Wii (though the Xeno-series didn't start on Wii, but for Nintendo's purposes it did and will likely stay with them for as long as it is still active).

Technically it's a Xeno game in name only. When the game was first being developed, it had the name Monado: Beginning of the World. I'm guessing they changed it to Xenoblade for more marquee value. There's really nothing that connects it to the other Xeno games from what I can tell.

I'm just saying I'd be fine with Shulk
Let's review the evidence?
Shulk's VA confirmed he's doing work (though he could just be doing stuff for X)
Xenoblade's writer keeps retweeting Smash announcements
Sakurai retweeted a picture of the Monado a while ago

There's also evidence for Chorus Men...
But just the Sneaky Spirit.

I do want a Xenoblade character in Smash 4, but i still want a Skullgirls DLC pack (?). :D
Make it happen, Sakurai! *w*

I'm going to interrupt your heated discussion on Shulk with some Chrom bashing.

tumblr_n8phegFbin1qh1wy9o1_500.png

"Pic of the day. Here's a Screen K.O. shot. There are also patterns where players will disappear into the sky for Star K.O.s, but as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore."
zlCfzSLe-W0euMfryu.jpg

I remember back when Brawl came out, me and a friend were playing a match and when she first saw this particular K.O. screen, she fucking lost it. Glad Smash 4 is taking the hilarity a step further.

I remember seeing some of these during the treehouse stream and the invitational, Bowser and Greninja's are especially hilarious. Also in this game instead of just getting knocked on the screen they quickly slide down the screen for increased comedic effect.

Last edited:
Actually, this a good thing gameplay wise, too. Now when matches get near the end, you won't get cheated on getting a top-screen KO between Star KOs and Screen KOs. This also keeps the game from trolling you on sudden death and Event Matches for having both you and the opponent getting top-screened, but you lose just because the game randomly decided to let the other person get away on the slower-animated Star KO and only you die from a Screen KO.

Is that a bruise and a bandage on Little Mac's face? What an odd detail to take from Punch Out Wii.

Is that a bruise and a bandage on Little Mac's face? What an odd detail to take from Punch Out Wii.

I wonder if Mac takes battle damage. Like, at a certain point, he gets bandages and a black eye.

It was planned for Brawl and can be seen on the textures in-game still

MetaBeta.jpg
BetaEye.jpg

Linkbrk.png

But Brawl was trying to be all gritty and shit.

They cut that junk in Smash 4.

Apparently someone on Reddit said that they saw the face stuff happen only when he got a Screen KO.

Still a nice touch.

edit: GameXplain pointed out that Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo in Japan. There, mystery solved.

So by the logic, Monster Hunter and Bravely Default trophies are hardly out of the question.

Last edited:
Apparently someone on Reddit said that they saw the face stuff happen only when he got a Screen KO.

Still a nice touch.

edit: GameXplain pointed out that Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo in Japan. There, mystery solved.

So by the logic, Monster Hunter and Bravely Default trophies are hardly out of the question.

Forget trophies. I want to see an agreement made to work Music from Bravely Default into the game. I don't care what stage it would play on, Wicked Flight would be a badass song to use for Smash Bros.

I don't see everyone's fascination with trophies :P It's just more stuff you need to collect. And if collection goes just like melee and brawl, it will take quite literally FOREVER to get them all. Yikes. Not too fond on that.

I don't see everyone's fascination with trophies :P It's just more stuff you need to collect. And if collection goes just like melee and brawl, it will take quite literally FOREVER to get them all. Yikes. Not too fond on that.

It introduces people to games that they may not know about.

For example, did anyone know about Ayumi Tachibana from Famicon Detective Club Part II outside of Japan pre-Melee? Nope. But apparently it's a really great Phoenix Wright style investigation game on the Famicom that got a translation and everything because of it.

Ayumi_Tachibana_trophy_%28SSBM%29.jpg

Plus who doesn't love collectables?

It introduces people to games that they may not know about.

For example, did anyone know about Ayumi Tachibana from Famicon Detective Club Part II outside of Japan pre-Melee? Nope. Did anyone really care? Nope.

Plus who doesn't love collectables? Me

Reactions: Smilax
You don't have to collect them if you don't want to.
And your personal preference doesn't influence the personal preference of anyone else.
So now you understand why people like trophies.

Rellek hates fun confirmed.
Collecting things for fun? Playing games for FUN? What is WRONG with you people?

You don't have to collect them if you don't want to.
And your personal preference doesn't influence the personal preference of anyone else.
So now you understand why people like trophies.
I do understand why people like trophies, I just don't understand their fascination with them. Don't get me wrong, you can collect all your trophies like a boss and show 'em off, but I can't get over how fascinated people are with them. Strange indeed.

Reactions: Smilax
It's less the trophies, more the fact that a game or thing that you may like could get more recognition by being picked up by a someone who didn't know about it and the possibility of them googling and learning more about it.

If there can be one more, just one more Custom Robo fan from a Ray-01 trophy in the game...

*sniff*

Well then my job is complete :')

Reactions: Cawtime