• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Oh god, can't believe I missed the Green Hill Zone in the 3DS screens. Goddamnit Sakurai why does Pac-Man get special stage treatment? I just got done saying this yesterday: Do this cut-corners thing with the franchises that don't have much material, not the ones that have been long running like Sonic and Mega Man. Makes me think we're not getting a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage or DKC Returns 3D stage and instead, Halberd and Jungle Japes is all those two are stuck with.

The handheld version of a game will always get less attention and effort compared to its console Big Bro.

Big Bro

upload_2014-7-24_13-19-30.jpeg

True, but I don't want him to completely half-ass the handheld version. As I keep saying, if you have to do that with stages, do it with stages for IPs that haven't had much to work with like Ice Climber, Pikmin, Punch-Out or Wii Fit. DK's at least had a port of DKC Returns on the 3DS he can work with.

Plus it's kinda contradicting the whole "Namco isn't getting any special treatment" statement when Pac-Man gets two stages and the other two guests don't.

I don't wanna sound like I'm complaining about everything regarding the game and I do understand the scenario Sakurai's ultimately going through to get this stuff done but it just bothers me that he's cutting corners in the wrong way w/ this game. Condensing the stadium games and event matches into part of Smash Run, a lack of My Music, those are all compromises I can deal with regarding the 3DS version. But playing favorites with the franchises? Especially the 3rd Parties? Yeeeeeah that kinda bothers me quite a bit.

Did Sakurai reveal all of the brawl stages before it's release or are you guys just being paranoid?

Oh god, can't believe I missed the Green Hill Zone in the 3DS screens. Goddamnit Sakurai why does Pac-Man get special stage treatment? I just got done saying this yesterday: Do this cut-corners thing with the franchises that don't have much material, not the ones that have been long running like Sonic and Mega Man. Makes me think we're not getting a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage or DKC Returns 3D stage and instead, Halberd and Jungle Japes is all those two are stuck with.

We're probably getting Kirby's Return to Dreamland Stage.

Someone pointed out that if you go to the "Wario" section on the 3DS eShop right now, Smash is listed there.

Wario confirm for reveal tomorrow? Maybe?

I'd rather see Ness confirmed first but if Wario gets revealed, let's hope a stage gets revealed along with him. Sakurai's been pretty kind in showcasing those this week.

I hope Wario has some Warioland Shake It Movies this time.

The most I see him getting is the ground punch as a Down Smash. Although I do want a Glittertown stage.

I was a fan of his choppy animation in SSBB, but seeing how characters are more loyal to source material this time, I imagine he'll be more refined and have more Warioland moves.

Why are we talkin' like the 3DS version isn't getting as much attention as the Wii U version?

Both versions have exclusive stages, meaning that they're putting a lot of time into stage development for both versions. Even if you don't like a lot of the stage selections, that doesn't take away from the fact that they seem to be putting about as much effort into developing stages for the 3DS as they are for the Wii U.

And what about things like Smash Run? The Wii U probably does in fact get more development time and attention than the 3DS version (as it probably should), but that doesn't mean we should discredit or underestimate the amount of effort that is being put into the 3DS version simply because we don't like some of the decisions they are making.

I would expect the Wii U version to feel more like the definitive version of the game, but I don't think that will detract from the quality of the 3DS version by any means.

Reactions: Hemijack and Jutsei
Why are we talkin' like the 3DS version isn't getting as much attention as the Wii U version?
Because that's the norm with portable versions of console games.

Because that's the norm with portable versions of console games.

Smash Bros is somewhat different from the typical multi-platform development project, especially when you consider the people that are working on it. Anyone who's been paying attention to the details on both the 3DS and Wii U versions should be able to see that. This isn't your typical handheld port, nor is the development of the 3DS version completely distinct or unrelated to the Wii U version. They are both being developed in tandem in a manner that allows them to each meet the same quality standards while also being distinctly unique.

No one should ever assume that the 3DS version will be lesser simply because that is the case with other games. We'll have to just wait and see how both games play before we can really judge.

It's not that I think the 3DS version will be a lesser product from a quality standpoint. This being Nintendo, I have complete faith that the game will be a technically competent product that's fairly robust from a features perspective. However you can't deny that Smash is primarily conceived as a console party game, and in turn that vision affects the game's scope overall. Keeping the 3DS version completely similar to the Wii U version would be a mistake, in my opinion. Of course there's indication that they don't plan on doing that, stuff like Smash Run being 3DS-exclusive shows that Nintendo knows how to play to each platform's strengths and create a unique experience for both. My worry is that even after all that the 3DS version won't be all that different which would give a lot of players no reason to pay attention to it after the Wii U version comes out, not that the game won't be up to quality standards.

You say that as if people don't already have no reason to buy the 3DS version when there's a Wii U version coming out.

Reactions: Rellek
I know right? I'm pretty much being forced to buy the 3DS version just because it's coming out first D:

Even so, I'll probably continue to play the 3DS version a decent bit after the Wii U one is released. 3DS has the obvious advantage of being portable, not to mention Smash Run sounds like a lot of fun. I probably won't play the 3DS version much if I don't have to though. I need mah gamecube controller and hd graphics.

I'll continue to play the 3ds version because most of my friends don't have a wii u.

I have no intentions of getting a Wii U, so I'll stick to my 3DS.

"Pic of the day. For the first time ever, I present to you…the main menu for the 3DS version!! The icons are even animated. The design concept may look similar if you've played other games I've worked on. But we had a hard time making this one because…"
zlCfzSNeTkQ7lATz2R.jpg

"The bottom screen displays pictures matching each mode! This was quite a task for the UI (User Interface) designers, but they made it happen. Kudos to them! You can tap the screen to look up additional info like how to play--complete with diagrams."
zlCfzSNeUCcxY_WGy5.jpg

Reactions: Hemijack
Wow, that looks great.