• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

You know how amazing it would be

if Xerneas WAS playable?

Dammit Sakurai, I can almost feel the bluff. I want to think that's NOT the only update.
You know how amazing it would be

if Xerneas WAS playable?
Ehhhh....

Personally, if I wanted to play a fairy type, I'd want Gardevoir in.

Are you saying you wouldn't play as SPACE DEER?

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
We already have Jigglypuff for a fairy type.

SpaceDeerMasterRace

I would love a Gen 2 Trainer. Most beloved Gen for me and I just want to play as Typhlosion.

Gen 4 can suck it

Reactions: Crayolan and DDB
Yeah, I get that. I know some people were worried about them not being in cause Smash Bros started being worked on before X and Y were far enough in progress to get them in.

But

npKKUaC.png

whensmewtwo

Personally I'd do it Totodile, Bayleef, Typhlosion.
Most cause I don't like Feraligatr.
I would rather them change up the evolutionary stages of each type than keep it the same. That was just one solution that made sure stage 1 isn't water, stage 2 isn't grass and stage 3 isn't fire. Because if they go in the same order they're likely to become modified clones, especially Bayleef since Totodile can't use Squirtle's shell moves and Typhlosion can't use Charizard's flying moves but Bayleef can really mimic Ivysaur in any move.
I like Totodile and Feraligatr. Croconaw looks absolutely terrible. That was the other thing I was dodging: ever having to see Croconaw again.

What if it's a new Pokemon Trainer with Xerneas/Yveltal?

waitnaww that won't happen
Come to think of it, what if we got a legendary team?
Articuno/Moltres/Zapdos, Entei/Suicune/Raikou, Et cetera.
The only real problem I have with them is that they have a lot less variety than a new pokemon trainer would. The trainer has 3 different types of pokemon with different sizes, while the above is, in essence, the same pokemon with a different type.

But now that I think about it more, wouldn't it be better for them to do a trainer that isn't just using the starters of a different generation if it's going to be a different character? What about a team rocket grunt with Arbok/Weezing/Meowth, Giovanni with Nidoqueen/Kangaskhan/Rhyhorn, or Lance with Gyarados/Aerodactyl/Dragonite. Okay, maybe that's a little bit of a stretch, but still: as long as we're grounded in starter pokemon, the trainers are going to have all the work involved with making a new character without feeling a whole lot different. They would be like wolf: Not really a clone, but still feels a lot like the other characters in his series. And that's all right, but it would be cooler to have a rep that feels more unique from the other characters, wouldn't it?

Reactions: Jutsei
ya know, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to actually be serious about there not being anything today

like that would be a thing he would do

gdi sakurai
gdi

Playable Spacedeer master race.

So Xerneas can be one of three things
A. (Most likely) Pokeball
B. (Semi-likely) Stage Hazard
C. Playable character
probably not a stage hazard as it looks like the stage is battlefield

If it's legitimately a playable character I'll be dumbfounded.
Because A. Playable Legendary B. Another quadraped pokemon C. How popular is Xvyetal or whatever? I thought the Y bird was more popular.

WHAT DO YOU NOT GET ABOUT SPACEDEER MASTER RACE?

What would he grab the ledge with? Those goofy-ass horns?

Who needs ledges when you're SPACE DEER?

All you guys talking about who's going to be added or not are missing the most important thing about Smash bros.
The competitive scene
In other words this:

tumblr_mupq2jP5Lb1qirsyyo1_250.gif
Hey.

At least a good Fox is fun to watch. Plus Marth has an even matchup with him, so that makes for some variety.

Some.

pleasebemewtwopleasebemewtwopleasebemewtwopleasebemewtwo

Mewtwo would be viable! using special moves to mega evolve n'all

Hey.

At least a good Fox is fun to watch. Plus Marth has an even matchup with him, so that makes for some variety.

Some.

The perspective that the competitive Melee community is just Fox on Fox in Final Destination is a stigma from the old school days. These days the character diversity is significantly bigger, and Fox doesn't just struggle with Marth anymore. You see top-level Fox's struggle with Falco, Sheik, Marth, Jigglypuff, Peach, and more. To top it off there's a lot of surprising low tier characters that make for some pretty hard upsets like Yoshi, Luigi, Mewtwo, and Bowser. Fox definitely isn't king anymore unless it's in the hands of one person on the entire planet, Mango.

Just look at these modern matches where a top-level Fox loses to a character besides another Fox:
Peach (Armada) vs. Fox (Mango):

Sheik (Mew2King/Marth) vs. Fox (Mango):

Jigglypuff (hungrybox) vs. Fox (Mango):

Ice Climbers (Wobbles) vs. Fox (Mango):

Pikachu (Axe) vs. Fox (Mango):
(Mango barely pulls it together at the end, but Axe really shows how much unlocked potential there is to Pikachu)

Dr. Mario (Shroomed) vs. Leffen (Fox):

Bowser (DJNintendo) vs. Fox (Unknown522):

Mewtwo/Roy (Mew2King) vs. Toph (Fox)
(Okay so Toph still wins but you can see how Fox can have problems with Mewtwo.)

Also even though this is an old match... I had to throw in Captain Jack's DK. :D

Last edited:
I'm gonna laugh when it's not mewtwo

Usually Sakurai takes into account all the desperate pleas from the fans, carefully evaluates which things people want the most, calculates what would bring the most joy to all the veteran players...

And then specifically leaves it out.

You guys do know that they were asked about Mewtwo, and Sakurai said "We'll think about it!", right?

He's also taking Pre-Brawl popularity into account.

That's like a little kid asking his parents for a super awesome deluxe lollipop and the parents saying "We'll think about it!"

That kid's never gonna get that lollipop but he sure as hell is waiting for it to happen.

Fox was like... never the king of Melee, at least to my knowledge. The best player in the world has been a Marth main for like, half of the game's entire lifespan or something. Even then, Sheik was considered the "theoretical best" for a really really really long time (and maybe still is, though I don't remember the current tier list). Sheik was feared by the community for the longest time, even though her results were pretty much limited to Captain Jack and KoreanDJ until Mew2king finally picked her up. Of course I could be getting some of that wrong, but the point is that while Fox and Falco have always been considered really good, I think that if there was ever a consensus "best character in the game," it was Sheik in the ~2006-2008 days. Failing that, there was a point just after Armada got 3rd to Hungrybox and Mango at [uhhh maybe Genesis or something] where the community was actually calling for a Jigglypuff ban.

Fox is a really popular tournament character because he has extremely diverse tools. He can run away, he can rushdown, he has amazing raw KO power, amazing low-% KO power, and he feels the "freest" out of the entire cast. He's sort of a great way to learn the game because of the breadth of options he has. So yeah, you see tons of Fox, but that's because he's sort of the "quintessential Melee character," like a Ryu or a Magneto or whatever. It never really had anything to do with him being "the best," I don't think. The "Fox only" jokes are pretty much the same as people who say ST is just Ryu and Guile throwing fireballs at eachother constantly.

Also yeah, Melee's diversity is super nice, especially considering how mature the game is. Still, I'm really excited for Project M stuff, and I hope I can find some sort of competition for that here in Japan (huhhhh I wonder if that's possible). They announced Mewtwo, so at this point I'll be pretty cool with Smash 4 not having him!

So I found this. Most likely fake, but golly does it look convincing.

54UipDw.png
Sakurai: "You think I'm announcing a Pokemon rep on XY month? LOL PLS, TOO PREDICTABLE."

Man now I'm curious if we'll get another MOTHER rep this time.
It'd be pretty boss but unlikely.

The only reason there would be another Mother rep is if they were planning to finally localize Mother 3......PLS MORE MOTHER REPS

Reactions: Jutsei
The only reason there would be another Mother rep is if they were planning to finally localize Mother 3......PLS MORE MOTHER REPS
Wait, you didn't hear about the potential Mother 3 hint in Pokemon x and y?

Yeah, some dude in a pokemon center says he was recently playing a game that has a little boy running around whacking enemies to the beat of music. I was so pumped to read that too.

Wait, you didn't hear about the potential Mother 3 hint in Pokemon x and y?

Yeah, some dude in a pokemon center says he was recently playing a game that has a little boy running around whacking enemies to the beat of music. I was so pumped to read that too.
That's about HarmoKnight, one of GameFreak's other projects. Sorry to disappoint.