• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Them's Fightin' Herds

Yeah in the grand scheme of things 30% in 2 days is not too shabby. It's slowed down quite a bit for now, but if it keeps at the rate it's going now, not to mention the surge of backers that are bound come out of the woodwork once the campaign reaches its final days, I think it will have no trouble reaching its goal.
I think it was really good for Mane6 to start the Steam Greenlight this early after starting the crowdfunding campaign. Newcomers would come in, see that the game raised >$100K in 1 day, stick around and spread the word around the Steam community. It looks like they'll now have a steady stream of people dropping by to pick up the game for $15 if nothing else. I think Mane6 will do just fine.

Speaking of the Steam Greenlight, seeing the direction things are going there this game will have no problem whatsoever in getting the green light.

Reactions: Chip Blaster
I think it was really good for Mane6 to start the Steam Greenlight this early after starting the crowdfunding campaign. Newcomers would come in, see that the game raised >$100K in 1 day, stick around and spread the word around the Steam community. It looks like they'll now have a steady stream of people dropping by to pick up the game for $15 if nothing else. I think Mane6 will do just fine.

Speaking of the Steam Greenlight, seeing the direction things are going there this game will have no problem whatsoever in getting the green light.

How long does it normally take for something not FNAF, to get the green light on Steam?

Remember when we were complaining about lack of limited tiers? It looks like some of the limited tiers have been upgraded to "Mark 2". They also added a new limited tier recently.

Reactions: dead
Weird they didn't do a campaign update yet to let people know. Should result into a bump up.

Also for those that missed their update, the $15 tier will grant access to beta assuming the game gets Greenlighted (Greenlit?). $40 will grant access to a "backer's only beta".

Weird they didn't do a campaign update yet to let people know. Should result into a bump up.

Now they make an update :D

Last edited:
Also for those that missed their update, the $15 tier will grant access to beta assuming the game gets Greenlighted (Greenlit?). $40 will grant access to a "backer's only beta".
wait what? What's the difference between the two betas? Are they really going to split the beta in two? Cause that kinda sounds dumb and unnecessary, just follow SG's example and just have an open beta for every one who paid for the game. (I really miss the SG beta... the wait for new stuff or experiments to pop onto there... it was fun.)

wait what? What's the difference between the two betas?

It's not 2 betas, Spencer just read it wrong. http://www.mane6.com/2015/09/sixth-champion-revealed-and-greenlight-campaign/

If we do make it on Steam, everyone who has pledged, or pledges from then on to the Early Settler tiers [Read: $15] and above will receive their digital key via Steam. Backers on the Guardian Sheepdog and above pledge tiers [Read: $40] would also get an invite to participate in a closed, backers-only beta testing period for Them’s Fightin’ Herds prior to the game’s launch.

$15 gives you the digital key for the game. $40 gives you access to the beta period.

It's not 2 betas, Spencer just read it wrong. http://www.mane6.com/2015/09/sixth-champion-revealed-and-greenlight-campaign/

$15 gives you the digital key for the game. $40 gives you access to the beta period.

Ah my bad, reading comprehension 101. Good catch!

I'm going to eyeball it, but I might bump up to 40 too. The music is pretty decent, so getting that plus beta would be great.

Also, looks like those new tiers might have helped. 20k over night!

I think I need more information on the game systems to consider upping my backing to up to beta.

I think I need more information on the game systems to consider upping my backing to up to beta.

What would you like to know? If you have any questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

What motions do supers use? How does the damage scaling work? How do enhanced super attacks work? Are combos easy or hard? Is the game oki focused or neutral focused? What are the mobility options? Can you combo out of grabs? I thought I saw pushblock in the gameplay video, how does that work? Are there any other cool universal systems? What is similar and what is different compared to other games? I love grapplers, is there going to be a grappler? Can arizona's lasso be blocked? How early before launch would the beta start?

Reactions: Huffy
Alright, lemme break these down to one question at a time. I can answer most of these.

Keep in mind, the game is still pretty early in development and is liable to change before it's released.

What motions do supers use?

The current motions for supers are quarter-circle forward and two buttons for level one supers, and quarter-circle back and two buttons for level two supers.

How do enhanced super attacks work?

While hitting with a level one super, doing the level two super input will use the second meter and perform the second attack.

Are combos easy or hard?

This is a difficult question to answer. Ease of execution is always subjective, and any minor change made to the way a character plays can change how hard it is to combo with them. What I can say is that the game uses a chain combo system for normals similar to the Magic Series from the Capcom VS games (A > B > C > launch > j.A > j.B > j.C etc). There are more difficult combos that can be done with the tools each character has, but as they're subject to change during development, I honestly couldn't fairly judge what the final game will look like at this stage of development.

Is the game oki focused or neutral focused?

This is another difficult question, as it's often hard to know how a game is going to be played until the mechanics are explored by the players and a meta starts to form.

What are the mobility options?

Each character has different mobility options. Arizona, for example, has a short hop, a super jump, and a run (plus the normal backdash and normal jump options that are relatively universal). Velvet, however, has no advanced movement options at all, but her backdash is very good.

Can you combo out of grabs?

Situationally, but that's subject to change.

I thought I saw pushblock in the gameplay video, how does that work?

Push blocking is done by pressing any two buttons that aren't D (Magic) while blocking. Can be done on the ground or in the air.

Are there any other cool universal systems?

Cool is subjective. Can you give me some examples so I can better understand what you're asking about?

What is similar and what is different compared to other games?

TFH is it's own game, but we've been inspired by a variety of other fighting games. The team has experience playing a diverse selection of games at varying levels of proficiency, and at this point it's a little difficult to pinpoint exactly what ideas came from what franchises. We take a lot of influence from existing ideas and experiments in the fighting game genre to make TFH something that's unique.

Can arizona's lasso be blocked?

Nope. But the hitbox on it isn't very big. Only the actual loop part of the lasso can make contact. If you don't hit with that part, then the move whiffs and you're left in a really long recovery.

How early before launch would the beta start?

No idea. We're still discussing that internally, and we'd have to get enough votes on Steam Greenlight before we can really start considering it.

I hope that answers at least some of your questions. If I omitted an answer to a question, it's because I either don't know the answer or I'm not at liberty to say.

the Magic Series from the Capcom VS games (A > B > C > launch > j.A > j.B > j.C etc).
[snip]
The team has experience playing a diverse selection of games at varying levels of proficiency, and at this point it's a little difficult to pinpoint exactly what ideas came from what franchises.
I love you guys, but there is only one Versus game in which the magic series is ABC launch ABC, and several of the other ideas sound like MvC3 as well, so I guess to me it's not that hard to pinpoint at least that as a main inspiration. :^)

I love you guys, but there is only one Versus game in which the magic series is ABC launch ABC, and several of the other ideas sound like MvC3 as well, so I guess to me it's not that hard to pinpoint at least that as a main inspiration. :^)

Yes, we're aware. But since the game is a 4 button game (an idea taken from games like BlazBlue and Melty Blood), the inclusion of the Magic Series with a launcher kind of limits the parallels that can be made to other games. And to be fair, there's two Versus games that used that system: MvC3 and TvC. The latter is more likely the inspiration, since our launcher input is currently 3C.

The current motions for supers are quarter-circle forward and two buttons for level one supers, and quarter-circle back and two buttons for level two supers
I know you guys didn't make it, but you are already better than Tribute Edition. (Double half circles in mid-air for a lvl 2?! Are you kidding me?!)

Doesn't both the mvc series and tvc use the ABC launch ABC combo system? Unless you mean EXACTLY LITERAL ABC launch ABC.

EDIT: Oh I see someone pointed that out already

our launcher input is currently 3C.
So, is C->3C possible?

Doesn't both the mvc series and tvc use the ABC launch ABC combo system? Unless you mean EXACTLY LITERAL ABC launch ABC.
I do, because "launch" is only a button itself in MvC3.

So, is C->3C possible?

Yup!

I do, because "launch" is only a button itself in MvC3.

Whoops, yeah. That's my bad, I should have been a bit more clear with how I described it. I meant "launcher" as in "any normal that launches" rather than a dedicated button for doing so.

Now there bursts? Reason i'm asking is because

How is scaling going to work in this game?

Will you be able end combos in knockdown or can the opponent tech from almost any combo excluding arizona's lasso grab?

Now there bursts?

There are currently no bursts in the game.

How is scaling going to work in this game?

Can you clarify? Since this was posted after you asked about bursts, I'm not sure if you mean damage scaling or if you mean some type of mechanic that limits combo length.

Will you be able end combos in knockdown or can the opponent tech from almost any combo excluding arizona's lasso grab?

Arizona's low lasso is only one of the multiple moves we have in the game that can cause hard knockdown. In that video that you posted, you'll notice that Arizona's C Headbutt also causes an untechable knockdown. Which moves cause knockdown are liable to change. Moves that do not cause hard knockdown are techable.

The magic series sounds a lot like Melty Blood full moon to me.

That hitspark was indicating that the character will now start to get heavier with time, iirc.

Yup, that's how it works. Once the green bar under the lifebar fills up, juggled characters will start to get heavier, and the red hitsparks are there to indicate the change in combo mechanics with additional visual feedback.

Reactions: Cellsai
@Oreo thanks for coming in to answer these questions!

I was wondering was how unblockable protection works in this game. I don't want to see no Pom/Sheepdog unblockables!

So, the prediction its that would be funded, thats okay.
IGG said:
"Prediction can only be calculated with available data and will change over time. Intended as rough guide, do not rely on the accuracy of our prediction."
Still, day 4 being funded more than day 3 was a good sign, means there's still money out there. I think Friday is gonna tell us a lot.

Reactions: Wenzel