• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Them's Fightin' Herds

@Oreo Is the key the Fightin' Herds are after a real one, like used to lock an interdimensional door, or is it more of a metaphor for some kind of object that will shut the portal to the forsaken carnivore realm?

Second question, are the dragon horses strictly vegetarians or do they just choose not to eat the other furry animals out of respect? Or do they chow down on them too?

Damage scaling @Oreo this is concerning combos.

Current damage and damage scaling values are completely placeholder at the moment. We're still extremely early in development, and we want to make sure that everything is implemented mechanically first before we start looking at exactly what type of damage seems acceptable. Current damage values shown in videos can and almost certainly will change, and are mostly there at the moment just to allow us to play the game internally to get a sense of general game feel.

@Oreo thanks for coming in to answer these questions!

I was wondering was how unblockable protection works in this game. I don't want to see no Pom/Sheepdog unblockables!

No problem! I'll try to answer as many as I can, but I certainly don't have the answers to everything.

Currently, we're still running the Skullgirls unblockable protection. It could be enabled, disabled, or replaced at any time during development if the need arises, but as of now, our most recent internal build is still using it.

@Oreo Is the key the Fightin' Herds are after a real one, like used to lock an interdimensional door, or is it more of a metaphor for some kind of object that will shut the portal to the forsaken carnivore realm?

Second question, are the dragon horses strictly vegetarians or do they just choose not to eat the other furry animals out of respect? Or do they chow down on them too?

I'm sorry, I actually don't know all too much about the lore. My department is QA, I press buttons. Feel free to ask on our social media accounts, someone may be able to answer you there!

Reactions: mcpeanuts
@OreoSecond question, are the dragon horses strictly vegetarians or do they just choose not to eat the other furry animals out of respect? Or do they chow down on them too?
The dragon horses are naturally peaceful, or they would've been banished to the shadow realm along with the men... I mean, predators.

So, the prediction its that would be funded, thats okay.

Be very cautiously optimistic. This is likely just following a trend, and 1/10th of the time is a pretty terrible trend.

I'm glad to see the rebound after day 2 though.

The dragon horses are naturally peaceful, or they would've been banished to the shadow realm along with the evil men... I mean, predators.

That, or their empire is simply too powerful to be captured and contained due to their overwhelming aerial force and volcano stronghold where they have the advantage of being fire proof.

I can imagine the other kingdoms making peace with them and just accepting every so often a lamb or a cow carcass will be found.

That, or their empire is simply too powerful to be captured and contained due to their overwhelming aerial force and volcano stronghold where they have the advantage of being fire proof.

I can imagine the other kingdoms making peace with them and just accepting every so often a lamb or a cow carcass will be found.
I... think you're searching for something that isn't there. That would certainly be interesting, but would seriously contradict the world that's been painted in the small bit of lore available. The inhabitants of Fœnum are described as, "grass eaters." I highly doubt there's a singular race within that order that threatens the others with, you know, being eaten.

Faust's worlds are peaceful and sororal. Serious conflict only happens when that's interrupted.

Reactions: Cellsai and Wenzel
I suppose you're right Kai, but an outcast that is an apprentice to the dark arts and summons demons to fight for her is going into darker territory already compared to Faust's previous work where a teacher's pet becomes powerful through the magic power of nepotism.

I suppose you're right Kai, but an outcast that is an apprentice to the dark arts and summons demons to fight for her is going into darker territory already compared to Faust's previous work where a teacher's pet becomes powerful through the magic power of nepotism.
I guess we'll see. They can say, "demons and dark arts," all they want, but it doesn't look very dark to me, atm.

Also, I don't think you meant nepotism.

You don't think she really got the Princess title by being the bestest at friendship out of everyone do you? Celestia, the Sun Goddess, pulled some strings behind the scenes I bet.

You don't think she really got the Princess title by being the bestest at friendship out of everyone do you? Celestia, the Sun Goddess, pulled some strings behind the scenes I bet.
Dude, you are going way outside of my understanding of my little pony, lol

You don't think she really got the Princess title by being the bestest at friendship out of everyone do you?
(That is literally the entire point of the show :P)

This game gives me complicated reactions. Seeing it develop is awesome and I've already pledged, but dagnabit, I am just totally not interested in how it looks to play. Kind of the same with Skullgirls in that I love absolutely everything about it, but then I sit down to play and I get burned out on combos. I really try to like playing SG, but it's so hard for me to enjoy playing fully ;_;

I am really liking this crowdfund so far though. As with pretty much everything else Mane6 related, it's well thought out an methodical. Props to them for organization skills. (Though my one quibble is that since the restocks of the high tiers and the additions of beta access, post card sketches and color pictures from Lauren, they have yet to be reflected in the pledge descriptions.)

Ah, dang it, they could've had an actual Mighty Bison...

Reactions: Shockdingo
Im wondering...

This game will have a "grapple" character? Only Paprika, for now, can be in this category, maybe...

The fighting looks a lot like Skullgirls to me, but I'll be damned if I haven't fallen head over hooves* for that dynamic music system. It's just GORGEOUS to listen to.

*hah. It's a pun. Because aminimals.

Also, I forgot to mention how it's pretty interesting that the races are all specifically restricted to hoofed animals. I wonder why that was decided on?
Will other vegetarian, non-hoofed animals make appearances?

Also, I forgot to mention how it's pretty interesting that the races are all specifically restricted to hoofed animals. I wonder why that was decided on?
The lamb has dogs, if that counts.
That said, I expect some of the meat eaters to get through (literally a few, 3-5ish) at some point, though they'll be forced to eat veggies or eat wanderers. I'd love to play as a bear.

I wonder if any of the meat eaters converted or changed their ways post sealing. I think that's be an interesting plot point. Then again this isn't my game and I'm just along for the ride. I'm interested in seeing how the story pans out.

The lamb has dogs, if that counts.
That said, I expect some of the meat eaters to get through (literally a few, 3-5ish) at some point, though they'll be forced to eat veggies or eat wanderers. I'd love to play as a bear.
I know there's plenty of non hoofed predators, sheepdogs included. Plenty of them will become playable at some point I imagine if all goes to keikaku. I mean if there's any non-hoofed veggie animals around, like rabbits or elephants, etc.

I mean I understand the predators being exiled... but what happened to all the regular toed veggie guys? Were they eaten by predators? Once the predators were exiled did the hoofed ones start to think all non hoofed animals were less pure and had to be... dealt with? This game is dark yo.

Carnivores, people. And herbivores. Eating vegetarian is a choice for omnivores. Non-omnivores have to eat either meat or plants to survive. If all characters are omnivores then the predators who ate meat basically committed mass murder. Could be a cool story point if by-necessity-carnivorous and nicer omnivorous predators got lumped in with the bad ones.

Reactions: Covenant
Maybe the plot will end up like Dinosaur Adventure, where the volcano destroys most of society, half of the survivors resort to cannibalism for food, and the whole story turns out to be the twisted concoction of a drunk duck woman. Perfect children's entertainment!

If they make playable predators I wanna see them go somewhere weird with them. A playable boa constrictor or something. With command grabs.

Eating vegetarian is a choice for omnivores.
The Meat Eating Habits of Deer
MEAT.png

My plan has now been foiled. I hate you.

Your plan was foiled the second you went for not-Arizona

Reactions: drewski
Half the cast are confirmed to be minors: the aforementioned calf, a young doe and a lamb with her puppies. Somebody call the ASPCA.

Last edited:
who is the puffy one

they're cute

Im wondering...

This game will have a "grapple" character? Only Paprika, for now, can be in this category, maybe...
Arizona is the closest we have a grappler due to her lasso grabs. Pinkie PAPRIKA is a tricky item character like Faust from guilty gear except A) her items are limited, B) her normals' ranges aren't as huge, and B) she's also a charge character. we'll see what changes about that in TFH but i don't remember her having a command grab of any kind

t
who is the puffy one

they're cute
they're all pretty fluffy :3 but you're probably talking about Paprika the alpaca

Two possible reasons off the top of my head:
  • Would be easier to animate/reference their Fighting is Magic sprites
  • consistency. In animal-only worlds like FiM, there's the constant question of what can be sentient and what shouldn't be, nd what the implications were when they coexisted. In this world, they've established that Predators aside, the only sentient beings are ungulates. that way we don't have to question whether or not LambShy's puppies should be able to talk or if they have sentient versions of dogs in Foenum, someting along those lines.

they're all pretty fluffy :3 but you're probably talking about Paprika the alpaca

I actually thought he meant Pom :x She looks kinda fluffy.

New Update!!! Scretch Goals!!! (Scretch Goat!!!)

Indiegogo Them's Fightin' Herds said:
People have been asking us about stretch goals. We’ve been crunching the numbers, making some calculations, and so, we’re ready to announce our first three stretch goals for Them’s Fightin’ Herds.

$486,000 - Them's Fightin' Herds on Linux and Mac
If we manage to raise $486,000 total, Them’s Fightin’ Herds will also be releasing in the Mac and Linux platforms. Backers pledging to the Early Settler and above tiers will be able to choose their favourite platform to receive their game key on!

$546,000 - Additional character: Goat
If we reach the $546,000 mark, Them’s Fightin’ Herds will get a seventh playable character, including all new character theme and dynamic music system variations!

The almighty goat, master of balance is determined to be the last standing!

She has seemingly impossible balancing capabilities, allowing her to stand firmly on any steep surface, including walls! Use her magic to run at high speeds across the stage and up walls to rush down and literally walk all over your competition!

$560,000 - Goat Stages/Story Mode
At the $560,000 mark, the goat will get her own stage, lobby stage, and she’ll also get a story mode! - This also includes all new music by our composers for both her fight stage and lobby stage.

Reactions: The Dave and Wenzel
But will she be craving that mineral? The answer may have some pledges hinging on it.

They should capitalize the Consoles strech goal not to put in the botton with black text like a secondary matter, tought.

who says the characters gotta be female? Like come we play "SkullGirls" but it still have guys in it.