• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Thoughts for True Story Mode?

DankleKankle

just goofin
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Steam
DankleKankle
PSN
Dankle_Kankle
Big Band Squigly Peacock
I’d like to hear potential ideas on a full on story mode featuring everybody. It’d be nuts if we got a universal story mode so I thought i’d hear people’s ideas!

I assume you're talking about the true story mode. In which case what I'm hoping to see, mechanically, are stories that are divided into chapters, but you play them in more-or-less chronological order (although some chapters would likely have some overlap in time). The stories would be based on subplots rather than by characters, so each story would involve several playable characters, who join or leave the party based on what's happening in the story at the time. It would be cool if for each fight, you could select your team based on the characters in your party, although for some fights certain team members may be locked in/out if the story requires it.

Overall I think you can just play the chapters one-by-one which unlock the next chapter, until you get to the ending chapter. Maybe at some points, certain parallel chapters could be unlocked at the same time that allow you to play in any order, but all of them will need to be completed in order to unlock the ending chapter.

Maybe there could be optional "side story" chapters that are based on less-serious/important subplots, which could involve the less-plot important characters like Beowulf, Robo-Fortune, etc.

Personally I don't believe in doing "RPG" mechanics like levelling up or unlocking certain characters or moves based on which chapters or routes you have played. I think they should just concentrate on telling a good, coherent story, and not having to worry about balancing unnecessarily complicated mechanics. Same thing goes with doing multiple routes or endings - I'd rather it be a good linear story.

Maybe there could be optional "side story" chapters that are based on less-serious/important subplots, which could involve the less-plot important characters like Beowulf, Robo-Fortune, etc.
Hey, the side-plot about Robo-Fortune and a cheeseburger was very important!..
And now I'm rooting for inclusion of a non-canon Fukua chapter...
Wouldn't hurt anyone (except Filia).

I hope a lot of side characters and fractions will make an appearance in True Story Mode. It's a good opportunity to flesh out the world even more. Also, we need more lore. And answers.

In which case what I'm hoping to see, mechanically, are stories that are divided into chapters, but you play them in more-or-less chronological order (although some chapters would likely have some overlap in time). The stories would be based on subplots rather than by characters, so each story would involve several playable characters, who join or leave the party based on what's happening in the story at the time.
Having chapters (and enough material to divide into it) would be great.
It makes a lot of sense too, from every perspective.
Getting different combinations of playable characters, both story- and gameplay-wise, would be good. Maybe a bit hard for some players, but it is worth it.

Personally I don't believe in doing "RPG" mechanics like levelling up or unlocking certain characters or moves based on which chapters or routes you have played.
Definitely not going to happen here, because SGM exists for a reason :PUN:
But I could be wrong.

I think they should just concentrate on telling a good, coherent story, and not having to worry about balancing unnecessarily complicated mechanics. Same thing goes with doing multiple routes or endings - I'd rather it be a good linear story.
This. Oh so much.
A linear story could lead right to the sequel (if there's any hope to get one).

Last edited:
Definitely not going to happen here, because SGM exists for a reason :PUN:
But I could be wrong.

This. Oh so much.
A linear story could lead right to the sequel (if there's any hope to get one).
Yeah, just to be clear I'm not completely opposed to an RPG mechanic, or multiple routes/endings (as long as there is one clear true ending of course), but I'd rather them just concentrating on making the one true route good. If they can somehow add such fluff without sacrificing the quality of the meat of the story, then I'm all for it.

It feels like the new updates are leading to a true story mode update, don't they? I remember way back when the discussions were based heavily on who was needed to make it in the first place, all of who we can see are being/have been added to the game. My question really becomes whether or not the new dlc characters are gonna be the focal point of a story, or more so is it that they're needed for critical moments/info.

True Ending has been hinted at for a long time, and those hints involved Umbrella, Dahlia, and Marie, so it might finally be happening.

On the subject of RPG mode, that's one of my top wishes for SG2. I think it'd be a good way to bridge the gap and appeal to the casual SGM crowd - as much as I don't care for SGM as a whole, I think it has a few ideas that could be adapted to a six button setting with no gacha. But I think that should be a separate thing from the story, and I think in order to do it right it needs to be a focal point of a proper sequel. I don't know if they'll ever have the budget for it.

Reactions: Nuuance
An rpg would be good for a separate game, like rivals of aether did with their universe.

Reactions: Holy Goose
I wouldn't want SG to have RPG mechanics purely because this isn't the kind of story I think needs to incorporate stat management and the like. Presently, I look at GBVS as my conception of RPG based storymodes and it isn't bad from what I've played. But remove the need for a weapon grid and having to think about what type of weapon I'm bringing into an encounter and I like the general premise. Just give us a world map with nodes and as we progress down different chapters expand on who we can choose for our teams, and include divergences for new DLC chararacters or story beats that are more isolated from whatever passes for the main events of the story.