• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Video Game Characters You LOVE

Denizen

Retired Member
Reaction score
Have you ever discovered a character that you've connected with on a deep emotional level? Have you ever wanted to reach into your TV screen and embrace this person for making the world a better place for you? If you have then post an image of them here and explain why you think they're so great. I'll start with someone obvious.

The name of this piece by Alex Ahad is "Beowulf, Legendary Hero", and that is why I voted for this man, because he is a Hero. Beowulf represents everything I believe in and I look up to him as a role model, and I rarely ever look up to anybody. I would be lying if I said that he he didn't have an influence over some of the decisions I have made recently. He along with other great men and women in fiction will serve as models for how I would like to be remembered when I am gone.
So what video game characters do you love and why?

My glorious waifu.... LISAAAAA. She's much better than all these poser waifus. I have a picture of Lisa for every month.
I'm like DDB and Balder when it comes to Lisa
<--------- Lisa

Sanic.

First game I ever played.

Now I cry every time a bad Sonic game comes out because my favorite cool blue blur is dead and nothing can bring him back.

I know, but it said video game characters that I love. And I love Lisa.

But I also like Amy Rose. Not as waifu material, but she's super fun to use in SA2B. It's funny seeing everyone's reaction to Amy's broken antics.

Well... characters I love:

-Kitana: For being that awesome.
-Claire Redfield: Only her RE2 incarnation because of design, VA work and her personality.
-Agent 47: From Hitman games. It's my favorite character from stealth-action games. Its coldness and baldness makes him so cool. I really like his soft side too (Hitman 2, Absolution)
-Jodie Holmes: From Beyond. You just have to love her. It's one of the few video game characters whose lifetime really had an impact on me. Her transition from childhood to adulthood connected to that strange entity is very touching.
-Dr. Faustus, Belladona and Violet: From Thrill Kill. They're like your creepiest group of friends. It might be cool to hang out with them lol I really like them.
-Squigly and Leviathan: I love them. They're too refined and elegant. Their storyline is my current favorite, and the most touching imo.
-Eliza, Aeon: Well, technically they're not in the game (yet), and I know that Aeon exists in another timeline ^^ but I love their designs and what we know about them. At first I was skeptical about Eliza, but she truly grew on me.
-Rayne: Best dhampir ever. Laura Bailey did an amazing job. It's a shame that we didn't have a proper BloodRayne on these years, instead we had those crappy Uwe Boll's films.
-Thane Krios: zomg he was the love interest of my first FemShep. Everything related to this character is a feel trip. Do you know that feel? I know that feel.
-Lilith, Zer0, Mad Moxxi, Handsome Jack, Angel: Each one of them is badass on their own ways. I just love them. And I wanna finish Borderlands 2 so I can see what happens...

I know there are more, but I can't remember right now. I love lots of characters. And you can see, I hate just a few.

Reactions: Effay
Regal.jpg

20101218053927!Golbez(Dissidia_012).png

street_fighter__akuma_1__by_light_rock-d5xy4dz.png

2128201-toki.jpg

nfffhl.jpg

ganondorf_by_rinerdar.jpg

hidden05_080222a-l.jpg

evil-ash.png

slayer.gif

blazblue-continuum-shift-valkenhayn-hellsing-dlc-character.jpeg

Kaim.Argonar.full.891686.jpg

King-Of-Fighters-NeoWave-Game-Character-Official-Artwork-Iori-Yagami.jpg

Joe_Musashi.jpg

And let's not forget....
tumblr_mit9ajYNk01rdlrgno1_r1_500.gif

-Parasoul (Skullgirls): She's a sophisticated, well trained, elegant, and practical woman that reads philosophy and has a secret nerdy side (she fangirls over Annie's show secretly). She's almost what I imagine a fictional female version of me would be.

-Millia Rage (Guilty Gear): I'm not sure why, but I find this character incredibly fascinating. Her theme music is kickass too. Plus she fights with her hair, that's fuckin' cool.

Elise (League of Legends): My favorite character in this game by a lot. Admittedly it's mostly because of the way her mechanics work, but there's something quite alluring about her. Spiders, man.

Samus Aran (Metroid series): The protagonist from one of my favorite games ever (super metroid). She's a silent badass that explores unknown worlds and fights strange aliens. What more could you ask for?

Bayonetta (duh): Another lone wolf badass that fights with her hair that's also incredibly sexy and has a good sense of humor. I like how campy she is at times, instead of just being pure fanservice (though you could argue her entire character makes fun of that sort of thing). Plus I have a thing for chicks with glasses lol.

Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution): I never asked for this.

-Peacock. Just... Peacock.
Her attitude, her design, her backstory, her gameplay... so awesome.
And the fact that so many people hate her so much makes her that much more awesome.
-Link. His design his pretty cool. (All of them yes.) I like that he's a silent badass, the Master sword is the best sword ever, and the fact that he's so versatile and so adventurous is just... well, cool.
-Luigi. OK first of all, look at that stache. Just, look at it. It's soooo well groomed, much more than Mario's. He's alot more interesting than Mario, with having to deal with living in his bro's shadow all the time. Not only that, he has actual personality quirks (unlike Mario who always maintains the facade of "happy go lucky mascot"), and his games are alot more interesting than your typical Mario platformer.
-Prappa. I GOTTA BELIEVE
-Sirius from Bomberman 64. Mainly for his design.
And the fact that he turned out to be the main villain at the end was actually a genuine shocker to me when I first played the game. He was cool. Yeah.

Beowulf

That picture is ten times more awesome if you know the actual old English story of Beowulf.

Imma compile a list for this thread maybe.

I have too many to list, but some highlights:

-Dante (The ORIGINAL deal from DMC1, 3 & 4. Not DMC2 and DmC)
-Bayonetta
-Strider Hiryu
-Baiken (Guilty Gear)
-Hakumen (Blazblue)
-King (King of Fighters)
-Feng Wei (Tekken)
-Ms Fortune
etc.

Try to guess...
Peacock?

For me it's: -Parasoul
-Painwheel
-Illidan Stormrage
-Sonic
And so on, those are my most favorite.

This guy ->
_CRASH_DANCE__by_oTTZi.gif

Played the hell out of the Crash Bandicoot- and Spyro-Games on PSX back in the day, I love them all. It’s a real shame that neither of these two characters has made a big comeback yet. If Crash or Spyro would return with the classic formula on PS4 and/or Xbox ONE, it would be the greatest thing ever. But to be fair: The Crash games on PS2 weren’t that bad. I played Twinsanity and it was pretty good. As for Spyro - I read something about the reboot on PS3 & Xbox 360 and yeah... not my thing.

And of course:

Q-taunt.gif

Who would have guessed?

Reactions: CapnWTF
I have to many video game characters that I like, so I'll just put a couple.
The-Last-Of-Us_-660x330.jpg

Joel & Ellie from The Last of Us
orchid-crouch.jpg

Orchid from Killer Instinct
1439555-lilith_main_image.png

Lilith from Borderlands 1 & 2
photo.jpg

Chloe Frazer from Uncharted
assassins_creed_ezio_wallpaper_1_by_bigtam211-d546gg8.jpg

Don't need to say this one.....
chun_li_in_the_end_by_magion02-d4hkksk.jpg

Chun-Li from Street Fighter

Johnny-Cage-character-portrait-Mortal-Kombat-2011-MK-9.jpg

Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat
P4_Margaret_and_Elizabeth.jpg

Elizabeth & Margaret from Persona 3 & 4
soul-calibur-taki-customity-183801.jpg

Taki from Soul Calibur
bioshock_infinite__elizabeth_by_dp_films-d6jfjq8.jpg

Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite

I-No_GG_portrait_01.jpg

I-no from Guilty Gear
metalgearsolidsnakeeater3d_thebosspointsheadshot.jpg

The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3
DEAD_RISING_Frank_West_by_CTYD.png

This guy's from Dead Rising
the_walking_dead_clementine_1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Clementine form The Walking Dead(Video Game)
catherine_screens_591.jpg

Vincent from Catherine
Glados.png

GLaDOS from Portal
Henry3.png

Henry Cooldown from No More Heroes
Darkstalkers-morrigan_wallpaper_by_artgerm.jpg

Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers
parasoul.png

Parasoul from this one game.....can't remember

I have many reasons to like these characters, but for the most part I like these characters because of their character design or personality

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrasher08
This should shock absolutely nobody:

squigly-artwork.jpg

Seriously if I didn't know any better I'd swear Squigly was designed specifically for me. She's a Tim Burton-looking zombie chick with stances AND divekicks AND long-reaching normals. She's literally my ideal fightgame character. In all the fighting games I've played, no character has ever clicked with me this much.

Lucca (Chrono Trigger): She's reason I always chose to wait the 3 days in the prison part of the game. I always thought there was something amazing about the a character who would bust into a prison, guns blazing to save a friend from being decapitated. That one part alone makes me like her way more than Marle.

B. Orchid (Killer Instinct): I feel like I love this character for all of the silliest reasons. Bright glowing weapons, check. Secret agent in bright tacky outfit with "HOT" written on it, check. Transforms into a flaming animal, check. Used to flash opponents to finish them off, double check. Orchid was the epitome of 90's cheese to me.

Yuuki Terumi (Blazblue): He's a bit recent but the love was instant. There is just something unbelievably cathartic about being able to literally stomp characters you hate into oblivion and he does this with a smile.

Honorable mentions: Peacock (god bless this character for finally letting drop a piano on something in a video game)

Bayonetta (She's just a fun character all day, every day)

Ash Crimson (I feel weird for being one of the only few people who likes him)

Last edited:
Reactions: musica
I was gonna make this thread, but I wasn't sure.

CEREBELLA CAUSE HAT ARMS ARE COOL AS FUCK

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Morrigan Aensland - Grew up a major Ryu fanboy, then one day I picked Morrigan on Marvel vs Capcom and discovered her to be a more fun version of Ryu and never looked back. I practically main her in any game she appears. While I'm not normally a fan of fanservice and the like, I just find Morrigan's hi-jinx to be high amusing

Sakura Kasugano - Another character that was a "more fun Ryu" to me. I liked her upbeat personality compared to the stoic Ryu, plus I liked her background of working hard to be like her idol/hero in-spite of her natural talent and potential

Mario - Grew up with this guy and I still play his games

Sonic - Same as Mario, though I haven't been REALLY excited about 'anything' Sonic in years

Bowser - Especially the Paper Mario persona

Zero - This dude was so cool. I loved that in X4 you could finally play with his as a legit character and not as a fill in like in X3.

Yuri Lowell - I don't play many jRPGs, but he's hands down the best lead in any of 'em. Dude is pretty down-earth and simply gets stuff done!

Sheena Fujibayashi - A good-looking ninja girl voiced by Jennifer Hale is enough to get me to like you. But as I played through the game, I found her to be so relate-able as aspects of her personality mirrored by own. (Lloyd X Sheena FTW yo! lol)

Mitsuru Kirijo - If P3 had existed 10-11 years ago and I would have played in then, she'd totally be my VG crush. Pretty, smart, mature. Despite her upbringing, she never came across as a snob. And you have Tara Platt's performance bringing it all home. I went after that Social Link as soon as it was available to me, lol. It just saddens me that I can't play her all that well in P4A. :(

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Chun-Li, Jade Curtiss, Zelos Wilder, Pascal

Cecil Harvey.
games_other_cecil-harvey_90803.jpg
he's a true hero and his story is just amazing. best final fantasy main character ever.
and Rydia
rydia___remade_in_photoshop_by_kimcheolho-d581jsl.jpg
cuz she's a QT and you can't help but love her throughout the game.
hell, her theme always brings a tear to my eye.

also you can pretty much put everyone else from FF4 as characters I love.

also the cast of FF6.
including Locke and Celes.

well that's obvious...only character in skullgirls that matters
...roxie the riveter, my waifu

also balrog Dudley Steve Fox Makoto nanaya jet Vanessa and Andy anvil

also little mac

rick strowd and heavy d because boxers are awesome

> Everyone in Skullgirls that isn't Filia or Cerebella. It's astounding how many characters in Skullgirls I like, really. Normally it would be much more hit-and-miss.

> Roll (Mega Man). It's less that I like Roll as she is (Actually, I somewhat loathe her present state), and more that I like what she could be. I have a thing for characters shoved aside with untapped potential, and Roll is one I've become fixated on.

> Proto Man (Also Mega Man). This guy is probably one of my favorite character designs of all time. He could have been another character lost to the sands of time with untapped potential, but he wasn't, and executed well at that. And he's stylish on top of that.

> "Claudia," The Clawed Girl (They Bleed Pixels); Giana (Giana Sisters); Quote (Cave Story)...curse these charming indie game characters! There's something so strangely charming about these characters that win your heart without saying a word. I guess it's because, in the absence of any direct characterization, the player has to observe their actions and draw conclusions as to what sort of person they are based on that, which really gets you into their character.

I like a lot of characters but this is a good start.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Ms. Fortune: She is voiced by one of my favorite voice-actresses, has a very unique and creative fight style and design, has my second favorite story mode (no one beats Squigly's, but Squigly's was made later :P), and she is friends with Minette :3

Minette - I like her design, as it fits the Skullgirls formula of being simultaneously cute and unnatural or creepy, and I really like the relationship between her and Ms. Fortune, as it is a notably strong friendship that we have not seen among the other members of the Skullgirls universe as of yet.

Every Single Partner Character in Paper Mario Thousand Year Door (yes, even Flurrie) - Thousand Year Door will always be one of my favorite RPGs. A huge reason for this is the partner characters that accompany you throughout the game. Each one of the partner characters is a wonderfully colorful personality that contrasts Mario's lack of character-defining dialogue, and the vastly different ways that each of them react to the events of the game range from hilarious (Yoshi at the Creepy Steeple) to badass (Vivian at the rematch against her sisters)

Among them, my favorite partners are: Goombella, Koops, Vivian, Yoshi, and Ms. Mowz.

Don Flamenco - I'm really not entirely certain why this is, but after replaying Punch-Out! Wii, I realized that I love this character. It might be his fanciness, his counter-based fight style, his voice-acting, his particular version of the fight theme, but whatever the reason is, he is my favorite opponent, and I love fighting against him.

Midna - Twilight Princess did a fantastic job making me feel exactly how it wanted me to towards this character. First time I join her: she's a LITERAL pain in the back and annoying to deal with. Some time later: gets less annoying, starts to be a little more supportive, and a little less taunting. By the time we are almost finished getting the first set of trinkets of power, she is actually a pretty good ally. This all accumulates into the perfect moment in the game that is still my favorite part of any Zelda title:

(Twilight Princess spoilers)
Zant nearly kills Midna and forces Link into wolf form, so you are forced to carry a dying Midna to Zelda in the hopes that she can save your friend, running through the dark, raining night. All the while, THIS music is playing:

Playing this part, I genuinely feared for Midna's life. The entire time I was carrying her to the castle, I was thinking "please don't die Midna! Don't die! I'll get you to Zelda, don't worry! DON'T DIE... PLEASE!!!".

When they get to Zelda, Midna reveals that she did not wish to be brought to her to be saved, but so Zelda could help Link complete his quest. Zelda, completely against Midna's wishes, sacrifices herself to save Midna's life. It struck such a blow to me seeing Midna try to refuse that sacrifice, believing that Zelda's life was more important than her own.

After this, Midna spends the rest of the game determined to help you save the world, for you and for Zelda.

This sequence completely solidified Midna as the best Zelda partner character, and made her one of my favorite characters in video games.

C. viper even though i'm beyond bored to death of street fighter and mahvel
She leads a very interesting life and even though she's far off trying to make the world a better place she's also trying to be a great mom in the mean time

Parasoul who funny enough is similar to c.viper now that i think about it

The Williams sisters(tekken) i like nina just a bit more then anna

Isabella valentine, her plot, attitude, weapon is basically the essential femme fatale character

Reactions: jam1220
These dorks:
tumblr_inline_n1ghvfL1rw1roo49l.gif

Phoenix Wright. Nothing is more heroic than a man who barely knows whats happening half of the time when he's trying to save people's lives.
tumblr_m64z8kMtbv1qgt5wy.gif

Sora, from Kingdom Hearts.
So, Kingdom Hearts was actually the first game I ever played. So as a young kid I was like "Woooaaah" YOU CAN GO TO DISNEY WORLDS?! These Disney characters are so cool an-wait who the heck are these other guys?
But anyway, if Sora wasn't like he was, the entire story would have been MUCH less enjoyable as a whole. His trait to try to keep his spirits up is his main selling point for me.
idczazie_skullgirl-scythana.png

(Holy Sh*t that's much bigger than I expected, ironically)
Scythana, from Skullgirls
Among the Skullgirls fighters, if I had to choose one as a favorite, it would have to be Scythana.
I don't know why, but it feels like everything about her I like.
She beats people up with other people, while wearing prison cuffs. She's got super range, with that height of hers. And she can get even bigger ala-Monkey D. Luffy (supposedly) and punch with giant gigan fists.
She just sounds SO much fun to play as.
I'll admit I don't play Skullgirls that often, I don't think I can't get good but I'm a really unmotivated person. I think Skullgirls would literally be the only fighting game I will ever try to master when she comes out.
Also Cerberus made her about 10 times more likeable

Athena Cykes
Rosalina
Little Mac (His new smash design is really good)
Parasoul
Ms. Fortune
Bayonetta
Wonder-Pink and Wonder Green (More for their relationship)

And those are the only ones I can think of right know lol

Yay absurdly long lists

James Sunderland- SH2
Everyone in Nier, especially Kaine
Cloud, Aerith, Zack, and Tifa in FF7
Cecil, Kain, Rosa, and Rydia - FF4
Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Beatrix- FF9
Tidus, Yuna, and Auron- FF10
Everyone in FF6
Everyone in Tales of Symphonia and Abyss
Sora, Roxas, Axel, Aqua and Terra in KH series
Dante and Vergil- DMC 3
Samus Aran- Metroid
Marth and Sheeda- FE
Bleu, Tao, and Anri- Shining Force
Little Mac- Punch Out
Rosalina- SMG Vivian, Shadow Queen - Paper Mario 2
Malon, Epona, Skull kid, Link and Zelda, especially Skyward Sword.
Lee and Clementine- TWD
Ryu- Street Fighter
Ashley Williams- ME1 Legion- ME2
Big Boss, Boss, Solid Snake, Sniper Wolf, Grey Fox, Raiden, Eva, Ocelot, Mei Ling, and Otacon- MGS series
Ulala, Pudding, and Space Michael- SC5

And probably more...

Prier (La pucelle: Tactics): Tomboy priest. Great game, great characters.

Fuka Kazamatsuri (Disgaea 4): She wears a prinny hat, has brown twintails, fights with a baseball bat and summons the giant Pringer X robot.

Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles): She deserved better.

Laguna (Final Fantasy VIII): One of the highlights of FF8 for me.

Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia): I love everything about this girl and her OP meteors.

Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia): Thank god for the different shipping options. My wallet can't wait for Chronicles!

Kite (.hack): The games made you play as a person who plays a character in an mmo. My young mind almost exploded at the time.

Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4): She introduced me to the greatness that is reverse traps.

Jr. (Xenosaga): This kid became my favorite Xenosaga character the moment he was introduced. He was a gunslinger in space with an attitude... and had Mona Marshall as his VA.

Jinkuro/Momohime? (Muramasa: The Demon Blade) This guy is a badass. Momohime's frail girl body can only handle so much of his badassery. That sounds wrong, but if you've played it, you'll know what I mean.

I could go on and on about characters I love, but I didn't want to make my list too long. It's only in the order that they came to mind.

So many choices, it's difficult to list them...

Balder.jpg
tumblr_mzgri1haxU1qhksomo1_1280.png
SB4_SS_-_Hideyoshi4.png
Oichi-SB3.png

Others include,
- Ootani Yoshitsugu (Sengoku Basara)
- Daniella (Haunting Ground)
- Han Juri (Street Fighter)
- Bayonetta
- Parasoul (some game I can't recall the title)
- Valentine (ditto)
- Venus Lovelace (ditto)
- Solaire of Astora (Dark Souls) ...Truth be told, all of the Dark Souls NPCs are brilliant.
- Anakaris (Darkstalkers)
- Jedah (ditto) ...I could list every Darkstalkers character besides Rikuo, Talbain and Sasquatch, really.
- Faust (Guilty Gear)
- Johnny (Guilty Gear)
- Alice Liddell (American McGee's Alice)
- Koyori (Sengoku Blade)
- Tatsumi Kanji (Persona 4)
- Amagi Yukiko (Persona 4)
- Katherine McBride (Catherine)
- Sundowner (Metal Gear Rising Revengeance)
- Raijin (Oboro Muramasa)
- Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles)
- Guildenstern (Onimusha 3)
- Vega Donna (Onimusha 3)
- Fortinbras (Onimusha Dawn of Dreams) ...Could also list a lot of Onimusha villains. I just love that over-the-top ham.
- Relius Clover (Blazblue)
- Leona Heidern (King of Fighters) ...I'm forgetting TONS of KoF characters. Besides Leona, I don't think any made it to XII/XIII. T_T
- Bryan Fury (Tekken)
- Kazama Asuka (Tekken)
- Umenokouji Aoi (Virtua Fighter)
- Vanessa Lewis (Virtua Fighter)

And I'm sure I'm missing a whole lot more. Would have mentioned a lot of Soulcalibur characters if the series' art direction didn't go down the crapper the way it did after SCII. :/
Really had to "dig back" through my archives. A lot of these characters aren't as present in my memory as they used to. Blame the IP owners for ditching them, I guess.
When's new Onimusha/Darkstalkers/Samurai Spirits/King of Fighters/Virtua Fighter/2D Castlevania?

Reactions: Caleb
I forgot about Madison Paige, Norman Jayden, Mike Haggar, Chloe Frazer, Max Damage and Die Anna. They're all awesome.

I like most of what I'm seeing so far, here's a few more of my favorite characters.
Link_Artwork_2_%28Twilight_Princess%29.png

If I were to choose one word to describe Link it would be Courage. His only real defining characteristic is his ability to take on absolutely any challenge in the pursuit of a single goal, to save the kingdom. He's basically the personification of that one human characteristic that is so rare nowadays.

If you told me a year ago that Annie would be my second favorite character in Skullgirls I would have socked you. I don't know what it is about her that I like so much. Her aesthetic, her personality, her abilities, they could all factor into why I think she's cool. One thing's for sure, I don't think I would like her so much if it weren't for @DDB. Thanks a lot man, your incessant aggressive adoration for this character has infected me.
SolidSnake.png

There's not much to say about the legendary Solid Snake, everyone here knows who he is.
Also can a mod please condense @jam1220's quadruple post?

Reactions: Error Macro and DDB
you can do that