• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Why is the Skullheart Sexist?

Horseman

This place ain't how it used to be
Reaction score
Peacock Fukua Big Band
The title is kind of misleading but I think it's better that way.
I think this is something I'm just supposed to ignore, but god dammit we can't ignore such blatant sexism!
So the discussion is: for what reason does the skullheart only allow females to wish? Why can't I become a skullboy? Is there some sort of innate ability that women have in the skullgirls universe but men don't? Is the skullheart just a dick? I can't wrap my head around why men wouldn't be able to wish. It doesn't seem like the contents of your pants would matter to an ancient artifact of immense godly power. Has this been addressed, or is it intentionally left vague or unexplained?

The Skullheart digs on corrupting pure things. Only pure waifus have the virginal power to dream of a better world and be corrupted.

It's also why Cerebella can't have the Skullheart, because let's be real, enough hot dogs have been thrown down that hallway.

The Skullheart digs on corrupting pure things. Only pure waifus have the virginal power to dream of a better world and be corrupted.

It's also why Cerebella can't have the Skullheart, because let's be real, enough hot dogs have been thrown down that hallway.
Alex said that Cerebella was the only one that maybe would be able make a truly pure wish.

GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF MY WAIFU!!

Reactions: Coolyo294
First glance made me think that the website was being sexist 0-o

The reason could simply be preference on how this being chooses the hosts. Kind of like marriage. Are you sexist against men for not marrying a man? Of course not, but again it all comes down to personal tastes.

I don't think gender has anything to do with having the power, but maybe the Skullheart prefers its vessels to be women. Perhaps because the Skullheart itself identifies with being a woman.

To be honest, I always felt it wasn't about the wishmaking, it's about the Skullheart having the opportunity to troll the world every now and then, and perhaps it wants to cause that mayhem in a body that it identifies with.

I mean clearly the thing has some personality and sentience as we've seen, so it wouldn't be surprising to see that it has preferences of sorts.
I think it just likes the tatas, ifyaknowwhatI'msayin', -nudge nudge wink wink-

I mean clearly the thing has some personality and sentience as we've seen, so it wouldn't be surprising to see that it has preferences of sorts.
But here's the thing: not only can men not wish on the thing, they can't break it either. Does the skullheart allow itself to be broken by women? Also, if it's preference, wouldn't that mean it would be picky about which women get to wish on it as well? While double seems to be picky about who gets to see the skullheart at all (probably picking women that she expects to not abuse the skullheart and instead wish for something selfish and mundane, considering all it would take to stop mother's plan is a simple "I wish that the skullheart were permanently destroyed" or "I wish that no one could become a skullgirl" or something along those lines) the skullheart itself doesn't seem to care who the woman wishing on it is; wouldn't it dislike a tomboy like cerebella or peacock if it prefers more feminine hosts?
I was thinking that women could have some sort of magical or spiritual power or energy that men don't, though; after all, every one of the deities in the skullgirls universe is a woman.

But men can be pure of heart too! :c

Reactions: Rex400
I still agree with the idea of the skullheart having a preferrence itself. it pretty much is a character all on its own, not just a plot device.

I thought it was because the skullheart was able to turn emotion into power and girls are emotional, idk though

I thought it was because the skullheart was able to turn emotion into power and girls are emotional, idk though
It has to be something that's a hard difference (I swear to god if someone interprets that as an innuendo) between men and women. Something that women always have and men never have. While women kind of sort of tend towards being more emotional, there are super emotional men and emotionless women so it would be silly if the skullheart restricted its potential host pool to women when it's really just feminine thought patterns it's after.

Alex said that Cerebella was the only one that maybe would be able make a truly pure wish.
Actually he debunked that in his last Q&A

YOUR WAIFU IS A FILTHY PEASANT!!!
But here's the thing: not only can men not wish on the thing, they can't break it either.
Where'd you get that information? I don't think that's canon.

It has to be something that's a hard difference (I swear to god if someone interprets that as an innuendo) between men and women. Something that women always have and men never have.
I got some SPECULATION based on the what some other games had as the motivation of other ultra powerful entities
We all know Mother is top goddess and has two daughters. And they all are the patrons of Skullheart. But how did Aeon & Venus ever appear?

With such a thought in mind, I suggest that their motivation for using the Skullheart is reproduction.

We know the skullheart is getting more powerful with each host. So perhaps once enough girls have carried the skullheart, a fourth goddess will spring forth.

Anyone who's seen Madoka knows how sinister the term "Incubator" really sounds.

Reactions: Armageddon11
It's probably because the trinity is exclusively female, if you think of the skullheart as a kind of satan (which is hebrew for "enemy") to the trinity, he(?) could corrupt women because he's naturally inclined towards them since he sees a similarity with the trinity, maybe his ultimate goal is to find a powerful enough host to defeat the great mother and rule over humans

Or maybe the trinity is the very source of the Skullheart's power, and since they're female, he can only connect with them.

Actually he debunked that in his last Q&A

YOUR WAIFU IS A FILTHY PEASANT!!!
Beowulf is washed up. Bella is the future.

<3

Beowulf is washed up. Bella is the future.
You know that Cerebella is a huge fan of Beowulf and copies his moves right?

You know that Cerebella is a huge fan of Beowulf and copies his moves right?
the fan thing is canon but the copy his moves thing is something you said that hasn't been deemed canon, yet. it all depends on if Alex says so or not.

the fan thing is canon but the copy his moves thing is something you said that hasn't been deemed canon, yet. it all depends on if Alex says so or not.
Well I only said that because of all the pro wrestling moves that Cereballa has.

This is off topic though.

How do men in Skullgirls universe get super powers as Skullgirl have?
Is it even possible, or are men just..less powerful in SG universe?

14382301_130114163000.jpg

In order to put an end to this thread I'm going to answer Horseman's question.

The reason why the Skull Heart only allows females to wish on it most likely has something to do with the fact that only women can bare children. What childbirth has to do with Skullgirls is a mystery that only Alex Ahad can answer with the canon story, so we should just sit back and be patient.

I still think preference is also a good reason too. I mean, the skullheart can speak and has a mind of it's own. maybe it likes women too?

Where'd you get that information? I don't think that's canon.
God dammit now I'm gonna spend the entire day trying to figure out where I read that.

I got some SPECULATION based on the what some other games had as the motivation of other ultra powerful entities
We all know Mother is top goddess and has two daughters. And they all are the patrons of Skullheart. But how did Aeon & Venus ever appear?

With such a thought in mind, I suggest that their motivation for using the Skullheart is reproduction.

We know the skullheart is getting more powerful with each host. So perhaps once enough girls have carried the skullheart, a fourth goddess will spring forth.

Anyone who's seen Madoka knows how sinister the term "Incubator" really sounds.
This seems pretty likely.
To add on to that, what if the skullheart is actually a method of artificial insemination? The reason they need women is that they can give birth; they're trying to find a woman that's strong enough to stay the skullgirl for nine months, in which case they would give birth to a new god. By extension, umbrella is kind of sort of a demigod; she just doesn't know it yet. That's likely also the reason that double seems to specifically target strong women to be the skullgirl; they're women that have proved themselves capable, and could theoretically bare a godly child.

It's probably because the trinity is exclusively female, if you think of the skullheart as a kind of satan (which is hebrew for "enemy") to the trinity, he(?) could corrupt women because he's naturally inclined towards them since he sees a similarity with the trinity, maybe his ultimate goal is to find a powerful enough host to defeat the great mother and rule over humans

Or maybe the trinity is the very source of the Skullheart's power, and since they're female, he can only connect with them.
The trinity owns the skullheart, it is their servant. It's unlikely that it wants to overthrow them.

They have access to everything women do besides the skullheart. Living weapons, parasites, artificial parasites; the works.

I wouldn't bother with trying to find that information Horseman, I'm 99% sure it doesn't exist.

The trinity owns the skullheart, it is their servant. It's unlikely that it wants to overthrow them.
Is it really?

Umbrella was born before or after her mother had become a Skullgirl?

I wouldn't bother with trying to find that information Horseman, I'm 99% sure it doesn't exist.
Alright, here's where I read it, from the canon info thread (link goes to the exact page.)
"Boy's can't do much with the Skull Heart. They can look at it, punch it, yell at it, polish it, show it off as a trophy, turtle wax it."
It's not quite as direct as I remembered it being, but it's definitely implied; Breaking the skullheart and talking to it aren't on the list of things men can do with the skullheart despite them being the two most important methods of interaction with it aside from wishing on it. Obviously that probably needs a more formal confirmation before we can really call it fully cannon, but the implication is pretty heavy from that statement.

Umbrella was born before or after her mother had become a Skullgirl?
After she took the skullheart, before she turned into a full skullgirl and started wrecking shit.

life gem's a start.

I watched the archive when that question was answered, Alex was making a lot of jokes during that Q&A and that was one of them. As far as I'm concerned men can still consult and destroy the Skull Heart unless stated otherwise.

That's not a heavy implication, it's more of an out of context misinterpretation.

Reactions: LKArtillery
Does anybody knows what was Queen Nancy and Squigly's mother's wish?

life gem's a start.
Parasites (like Leduc's), and mad skillz (Beowulf).

Because media with magical girls sell more?

Has already been revealed how old was Annie when her mother first got the Skullheart? inb4 DDB out of nowhere by the sound of her name

Because media with magical girls sell more?
Case closed.

To be honest I think neither men nor women can destroy the Skullheart. Annie's been fighting Skullgirls since forever. Doubt that after she cleaned her sword from Skullgirl blood, she left the 'heart floating with a "see you next time, baby". More likely, she keeps breaking it and it keeps returning. Probably the same goes for Double.

^Even if the darn thing was breakable, I'm fairly certain Aeon has a box full of them right next to the X-mas decorations.

Reactions: Muro
I watched the archive when that question was answered, Alex was making a lot of jokes during that Q&A and that was one of them. As far as I'm concerned men can still consult and destroy the Skull Heart unless stated otherwise.

That's not a heavy implication, it's more of an out of context misinterpretation.
If you say so, denny. Would be kind of strange for him to say something untrue or intentionally misleading during a lore Q&A, though, joke or not. I thought it was more direct about it when I wrote my post on that fact, something like "they can punch it but not break it" instead of "they can punch it."
Still, you can see where I got it from, I'm not just pulling this stuff out of my ass.

To be honest I think neither men nor women can destroy the Skullheart. Annie's been fighting Skullgirls since forever. Doubt that after she cleaned her sword from Skullgirl blood, she left the 'heart floating with a "see you next time, baby". More likely, she keeps breaking it and it keeps returning. Probably the same goes for Double.
I'm referring to the thing where you break it and it takes 7 years to come back again. No one has ever permanently destroyed the skullheart, though, you are correct.

This has a lot of sense, as seem in Peacock's ending, when she "destroys" the skullheart with Argus and the heart says "Foolish child! Do you really think this is over ...!?"

Out-of-Universe Reason: Likely more of Skullgirls' convention-shattering. Normally, it's always the guy who gets the magical artifact and enters a super-powerful form; the Skull Heart may have been designed to act as a counterbalance to that.

In-Universe Reason: It's basically canon that people with weaker wills would be desirable for Skullgirl material, since they would snap and start going on maniacal rampages sooner rather than later. Call me sexist, too, but perhaps all the would-be male candidates are of stronger will, making any female candidates preferable by default.

Call me sexist, too, but perhaps all the would-be male candidates are of stronger will, making any female candidates preferable by default.
You're treading on thin ice.